Direct all of your questions and inquiries of Drowtales and its world setting here. You can also participate in the construction of the world setting wiki.

Who do you think is the worst parent in Chel?

Re: Who do you think is the worst parent in Chel?

Postby Durlyn Val'Sarghress » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:22 am

excellent point Nas! I love how Drowtales, despite being a fantasy comic, can still logically and scientifically explain how an immortal race of beings can exist, (:
Durlyn Val'Sarghress
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Thaluka2 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:33 am

Elves have been a low fertility race since at least Tolkien. Helps counter the fact that they naturally live forever (or a very long time, 300+ years) in most settings. Things like orcs and goblins are usually portrayed as breeding like rats in order to make up for short life spans and massive death rates from infighting and external threats.
Thaluka2
Vel'akar

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby blackshade10 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:38 am

This does rise an issue with the Jaal's who are quickly learning how to make themselves pregnant. Soon, they'll outnumber everyone else! :P
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Location: Ashie Cleavage, plotting war against those of the Zala cleavage.
Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby Thaluka2 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:41 am

Jaal aren't that powerful of a clan though, compared to the others. And the biogolems likely need food to live. So there is probably a practical limit to their clan size. Quain could just go recruit every commoner and merc in Chel to be in Sarghress but she'd go bankrupt fairly quick trying to maintain that many people.
Thaluka2
Vel'akar

Postby blackshade10 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:49 am

Thaluka2 wrote:Jaal aren't that powerful of a clan though, compared to the others. And the biogolems likely need food to live. So there is probably a practical limit to their clan size. Quain could just go recruit every commoner and merc in Chel to be in Sarghress but she'd go bankrupt fairly quick trying to maintain that many people.

Biogolems don't eat remember? They feed off of aura. Just like Squishy!
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Location: Ashie Cleavage, plotting war against those of the Zala cleavage.

Postby Freya » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:07 am

blackshade10 wrote:
Thaluka2 wrote:Jaal aren't that powerful of a clan though, compared to the others. And the biogolems likely need food to live. So there is probably a practical limit to their clan size. Quain could just go recruit every commoner and merc in Chel to be in Sarghress but she'd go bankrupt fairly quick trying to maintain that many people.

That's gotta be pretty damn handy.
Freya
Summoner

Postby Torrin » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:16 am

Freya wrote:
blackshade10 wrote:

That's gotta be pretty damn handy.
Except when the biogolem is cut off from its owner, as squishy was here.... I'm gessing, though, that biogolems can track mana even better than drow.

:(
Torrin
Vel'akar

Postby Thalar » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:33 am

blackshade10 wrote:Biogolems don't eat remember? They feed off of aura. Just like Squishy!

Actually, biogolems -do- eat. Consider the armor, wasn't it, which feeds off their enemies' bones to replenish itself, or that one gauntlet with the spike, which exudes some kind of oil as a waste product. And the larger, drow-size biogolems would have to eat for certain, since they have their own aura to maintain. Only the smaller biogolems, which exist solely within their owner's aura (ie they go dormant when outside that field), would not require food, I believe.
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby Durlyn Val'Sarghress » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:36 pm

when and where did we see the bone eating armor and oil spitting spike in the comics? Also, do the more advanced biogolems have minds of their own? Are they self conscious and aware? i.e. know they are essentially slaves or living machines? I know they can't rebel cause their crafter's have control over them and they can't reproduce, but can they resent their makers?

Also, since Squishy (Ariel's biogolem's name I presume) was tossed aside by Rik, does this mean the little guy is likely dead or dormant for all time since he's been separated from Ariel? i can't imagine Ariel finding the poor critter again too easily after Rik snatched her away...
Durlyn Val'Sarghress
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Freya » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:06 pm

Durlyn Val'Sarghress wrote:Also, since Squishy (Ariel's biogolem's name I presume) was tossed aside by Rik, does this mean the little guy is likely dead or dormant for all time since he's been separated from Ariel? i can't imagine Ariel finding the poor critter again too easily after Rik snatched her away...
Given the new page, I'll say the little guy is a boatload sturdier than I thought. I guess he can last an hour or so away from her? *guesses wildly*
*hmmm*
Freya
Summoner

Postby Thalar » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:39 pm

Durlyn - http://www.drowtales.com/worldsettingar ... ters&id=42
That should answer your other questions about biogolems as well.
The most complex ones are living beings with minds of their own, but they are incapable of betraying the Jaal'darya, so my guess is they are unable to have any bad feelings towards their creators.
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Postby Durlyn Val'Sarghress » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:25 pm

WOW....Thanks Thalar, that link certainly did answer alot of my questions. But I thought much of the worldsetting pages were no longer up to date? Though I guess this would be an exception since it relates to biogolems rather than characters, ^^

back on topic now...I wonder how bad life was for any Jaal'darya males who were born before the advent of the mana science which allowed the jaal to completely remove men from the equation? Given their view of males it probably wasn't too great, but perhaps not to the point of being outright cruel (probably varied from Jaal mom to Jaal mom). I wonder how good parents Jaal moms are...Do they just dump their kids on biogolem nannies and show up only to check on their work or preach Jaal'darya anti-male doctrine on them? or do they spend alot of time with them?

Jaal kid: Momma, where did babies come from before females could mate with other females? :D

Jaal Mom: Well... *hmmm*

one lengthy explanation later...

Jaal Mom: And thats how it used to be done...Honey? Are you okay?... *smallsmile*

Jaal kid: o_O ...EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!! *omfg*

kid runs out the door and jumps atop her subhouse's death turtle and rides away to her cousin's subhouse across the lake

Jaal mom: Oh dear, I knew I should have waited for her other mother to get home, she's so much better at explaining such delicate topics than me... ^^;

I'm awful, ain't I? ;)
Durlyn Val'Sarghress
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Thalar » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:44 pm

Well, the majority of the worldsetting pages are no longer accurate. But this is one of the Chapter 12 worldsetting pages. It should be more accurate, being more recent.
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Postby Darthar » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:55 am

Actually I think its been written in the world settings page about the treatment of Jaal "male embryos." I'm not completely sure, but based off my memory of those pages, the Jaal discovered a method to convert the child into a female while in the womb of their mother still. Although I'd check with Encyclopedia Thalar for that one.
Darthar
Nether Spawn

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Aurawyn » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:56 pm

Thalar wrote:Well, the majority of the worldsetting pages are no longer accurate. But this is one of the Chapter 12 worldsetting pages. It should be more accurate, being more recent.

I wish they would..

A. Remove the outdated world setting page
B. Add a not to the bottom like they have in some pages before and explain what is and what is not out of date about said page.
Aurawyn
Demon

PreviousNext

Return to Questions and World Setting