Direct all of your questions and inquiries of Drowtales and its world setting here. You can also participate in the construction of the world setting wiki

Wild Speculations

Re: Wild Speculations

Postby Thaluka2 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:37 pm

She might be a Judicator now, but I don't think she's that one. That one has the Kyorl-speak mastered, such ability takes a long time to build up.
Thaluka2
Vel'akar

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Durlyn Val'Sarghress » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:07 pm

Could Luianne be Mikilu in disguise?
Durlyn Val'Sarghress
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Thaluka2 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:07 am

In Slavemaster, Minka tells Lu directly to go look for Mikilu, so I doubt it. BTW I was 100% right about her surviving the Dutanvir sidestory due to SM infos. So it's not canon but you can make educated guesses, since Kern does all the scripting. I'm guessing the Vloz that randomly showed up as a target "Lavova" also shows up in Chapter 16 or 17. Leet sekret info.
Thaluka2
Vel'akar

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Numikhizdîm » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:17 am

You there! Stop making sensible guesses! It ruins all the fun!
Numikhizdîm
Summoner

Clan: Sharen

Postby Torrin » Tue May 12, 2009 10:11 am

Drowtales is actually an alternate backhistory for a 4e Forgotten Realms homebrew setting / fanfic. The story is the tale of the last stand of the Drow who faught against their fate ages before Drizzt. The Ver'drowendar will eventually become standard D&D evil drow. The Drowussu survive but at the cost of becoming grey elves rather than light elves again. Sharess will become, well, Sharess. Kharla is Lloth. Ariel is Eilistraee.

XD
Torrin
Vel'akar

Postby Durlyn Val'Sarghress » Tue May 12, 2009 1:05 pm

So does that make Kelnozz Gromph or Vhaerun?
Durlyn Val'Sarghress
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Torrin » Tue May 12, 2009 3:30 pm

Uhhhhh..... *eek* You decide! ^^;
Torrin
Vel'akar

Postby Pitdragon » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:17 pm

Thread necromancy because that whole "ooo" thing for the Chapter 18 cover and "faking Quain'tana's" death I wanted to extrapolate on without clogging up that page. I know this is TOTALLY JUST MY BRAIN GOING so I don't horribly expect it. In fact, these events are all happening at once - the beginning of the meeting, the golem take-down, and Vy's battle with Sil'lice. Syphile's attempt on Quain will probably also be simultaneous, and seeing Quain's shadow with someone beside her in the window at the end could just be her ruminating on the events to Kel'noz/{Enter De'vess name here} while Syphile's body lies on the floor. No biggy there. Oh, and it is a bit lengthy, so if you'd rather not read this then make some hot tea or cocoa, because they are delicious.

I don't think, unless Zala'ess just sent Syphile to die to free Chrys'tel of obligations ("she failed, so no harm done") and as an insult while sending her own assassin to kill a distracted Quain'tana, that Quain's death fits into Zala's plans at this time.

Now, Quain'tana knows that Zala'ess will strike after the meeting over Chrys'tel's freedom, so she probably suspects something is up but can't figure out the angle. So she goes to little disgraced Syphile and says "I could toss you out withotu anything and leave you to the slavers, or toss you to whomever... but I do have a use if you're willing." Syphile delivers Chrys'tel to Zala'ess after Sil'lice scares the girl, and is not stopped because Quain'tana wants to give Zala'ess more bait to attack - she knows that Zala'ess is no fool to attack her while in the den, but now she could have a chance. So Syphile somehow would be implicated hopefully - either a remake of Chapter 9 (IF that is even happening) shows the scenarios slightly different, or Quain'tana expects Syphile to somehow indenture herself - noble, servant, anything that could help. Face it, Syphile's asking to become a noble seemed weird to Chrys and as much as Syphile could be dogged on, I don't think she'd ask that question so easily unless she was THAT desperate (possibly true) or something else was coming in with that angle. At the time it was probably just done though to help get the voted-to-be-saved Chrys'tel back home, and the story has taken various directions since, so who knows know why Syphile could think such a thing unless she really thought her info could be THAT helpful.

Zala'ess wishes to embarass Quain'tana and easily paint her as a rogue leader against the laws of the city, but killing her would martyr her and deflect any attack by the Sarghress on an Imperial Envoy as them reacting to a sudden assassination at the same time (also recall this story by Lu about the Nidraa'chal attacking and possibly distracting from the tainting of the Guardian that killed the Ill'haress, so such a move would be seen as similar).

Now, Zala'ess could then forgive those silly commoners for their mistake if they hand over Sil'lice, after commenting on how it may have been Sil'lice that killed Quain'tana, but that would require too many fibs on her part that would seem way too difficult to swallow. Quain'tana knows if she appears dead and the clan ready to splinter or not being a threat as it regroups under Koil (Ariel supposedly is still a "secret heir" according to the last De'vess conversation in chapter 8, "all in due time"), then she can possibly draw the Sharen out or have them trip over their own lies, plus the people will feel Quain'tana was indeed done in by the Sharen, causing more commoner uprising, leading to harder measures by the Sharen. Attacking by using the will of the people, bringing out the simmering distrust of the Sharen's new initiatives by bringing down their Hero, making them realize their Queen will never arrive to defend her clan's actions.

Sadly, I know this speculation relies on HUGE things - one, Syphile be charged with Quain's death or be somehow involved in giving Quain'tana information needed to combat a possible assassin and aid in the trick. The other would be for Zala'ess not to see through Syphile (betting heavily on the throne-room scene from earlier). There is a third option - that Syphile was sent to infiltrate as best as she could (or at least to drop Chrys off and hope for the best, leaving the Sarghress at least with her life and freedom by doing that) and that with the arrival of the Envoy and Syphile, Quain learns of what Zala'ess said, guesses Syphile is merely meant to be tossed aside, and decides to switch it on Zala'ess to fluster her. Embarrassing Zala'ess with a commoner that met her impossible task and forcing her to try and prove it wasn't the Sharen that assassinated Quain'tana and the Envoy was "really real, honest" instead of a cover up to make the Sharen look like the good guys when the Sarghress started attacking anything near their Fortress after their queen went down.

At that point though, it gets too complicated. So while this is all a lovely idea, I think I will be amused and happy and giggle if it (or something similar) did happen; however, if it did not, I will accept that Quain'tana is enjoying the view of a Vy'chriel popsicle and a destroyed golem while discussing the events over the corpse of her would-be-not-really-assassin, because honestly it is the easiest solution. Doesn't mean nothing of that solution will be useful though, much like the Vy-golem, nor that Quain'tana might admit lightly that Syphile did better than expected, though still failed miserably. The bad-ass cover is merely then bad-ass and Syphile gained very little in her month of training except for nice duds and a bit of bravado to get her to her demise.
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby Durlyn Val'Sarghress » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:52 pm

WOW...you said a mouthful...But i think i can agree that Zala'ess does NOT actually expect the Merc Queen to be slayn by her own failed adopted daughter (a few months of training is not enough to make you strong enough to take down an Illharess). Zala likely hopes that Syphile will die by Quain's hands and thus Chrys won't be obligated to help her anymore (plus, as you said, Zala probably hopes to make Quain look guilty by having her arrive at the council and accusing her of holding a Nidra'chal agent in her mist and killing a royal envoy, Vy'chriel).

However, Quain might very well spare Syphile and use her either as a double agent, sending her back to Zala, or bringing her to the council and forcing her to reveal Zala's plan to everyone present (thus exposing Zala's treacherous nature).

Regardless of what happens, I agree there is NO WAY Quain'tana is gonna die at the hands of a loser like Syphile, XD
Durlyn Val'Sarghress
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Pitdragon » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:49 am

Durlyn Val'Sarghress wrote:Regardless of what happens, I agree there is NO WAY Quain'tana is gonna die at the hands of a loser like Syphile, XD

Oh, it could happen, but it would require something we don't know about - a tool, backup, etc. A month might be long enough to learn how to use something of that sort. And sometimes things just fall the right way so that the unlikely can happen - Syphile gets a lucky shot. However, I'd say I don't see it happening because I do think Zala'ess doesn't expect Quain'tana to die now. She needs to break the Sarghress completely so that it falls apart after losing their merc queen instead of rallying to fight in her honor after her death. If Quain dies, it has to be as a criminal and a villain who has fallen out of favor of the commoners, treacherous and similar to the acts of the Nidraa'chal in her attempt to take down the Sharen. Even if she isn't, that has to be how it appears. Zala'ess won't win with a martyr who dies at the same time an Envoy arrived unless she has something really wicked to use in her favor that cannot be circumvented by any debate.

So if Quain dies here, it is pure accident (and I bet a letdown to all) or planned out to make Zala'ess complacent enough to act foolishly (or one of her sisters to) or to make her stumble over her lies. And in the latter, she might not die at all, but either Chel will be made to think it or both Chel and the reader may be tricked into believing it until all is revealed.
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Durlyn Val'Sarghress » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:13 am

So if Quain dies here, it is pure accident (and I bet a letdown to all) or planned out to make Zala'ess complacent enough to act foolishly (or one of her sisters to) or to make her stumble over her lies. And in the latter, she might not die at all, but either Chel will be made to think it or both Chel and the reader may be tricked into believing it until all is revealed.

I imagine thats what Zala's planning, the whole discredit her honor thing, but I SERIOUSLY hope thats not how Quain dies, taken out by a lucky shot from the unluckiest character in the entire series (we already watched one big character, Senekha, die a rather undramatic death, if Quain, who's been a big player throughout the entire series and who still has yet to show us that side of her that endeara Kelnozz & Quil'yate to her...I'll be devastated). Ya don't build up such great characters only to have them die embarrassing deaths, *upset*. I'm not saying Quain's untouchable, and that she may still die before the series is over, I just don't want to believe she could be defeated in such a manner given her experience and all (even Mel'Arnach doubted Lu when she brought up the idea of killing Quain). Also...If Quain were to die now, the Sarghress would SHATTER since Ariel's still too young to take the lead and Koil'dorath, while also a hero to them, is not the same as their legendary Merc Queen (basically, the series would come to a quicker end then expected...or at least the war we've been waiting for would be incredibly one sided and in the Sharen's favor).

So yeah, Quain dying before the war even begins, before Ariel has a chance to grow up and take the lead, at the hands of a rather sad character like Syphile...Yeah, your assessment of that being a major letdown is quite acurrate ^^;

lol, sorry Pit Dragon, I'm just gonna be waiting on baited breath until this particular chapter is over and we know whether Quain is safe or not (my all time fave Illharess *blush* )
Durlyn Val'Sarghress
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Pitdragon » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:36 am

Durlyn Val'Sarghress wrote: Also...If Quain were to die now, the Sarghress would SHATTER since Ariel's still too young to take the lead and Koil'dorath, while also a hero to them, is not the same as their legendary Merc Queen (basically, the series would come to a quicker end then expected...or at least the war we've been waiting for would be incredibly one sided and in the Sharen's favor).

So yeah, Quain dying before the war even begins, before Ariel has a chance to grow up and take the lead, at the hands of a rather sad character like Syphile...Yeah, your assessment of that being a major letdown is quite acurrate ^^;

Well, the Great Battle that Shimi'lande foresaw may be still longer into the future yet - this could point to the Sarghress going into a rogue status easy, with or without Quain, and Ariel having to rally the remnants under her. While the immediate Sharen/Sarghress conflict could be one-sided, I'd suspect then a ton of guerrilla tactics and a city that is always in turmoil, with the commoners changing sides constantly - protecting the renegade Sarghress or turning them in, given their own alliances or the Sharen threat over them. I could see quite a bit done with that, and the De'vesses doing most of the work in Quain's stead could be just as interesting. We'd learn of those endearing elements after the fact, but given Quain's general bearing it might be more awkward to see her showing them than people remembering them.

Having Quain's death reported and her seriously injured - leading from the shadows - could be another way to pull that off with out completely removing her. But yeah, seeing as Kern's playing this hand close to his chest we're gonna have to remain on the edges of our seats.
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Durlyn Val'Sarghress » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:18 am

Well, the Great Battle that Shimi'lande foresaw may be still longer into the future yet - this could point to the Sarghress going into a rogue status easy, with or without Quain, and Ariel having to rally the remnants under her. While the immediate Sharen/Sarghress conflict could be one-sided, I'd suspect then a ton of guerrilla tactics and a city that is always in turmoil, with the commoners changing sides constantly - protecting the renegade Sarghress or turning them in, given their own alliances or the Sharen threat over them. I could see quite a bit done with that, and the De'vesses doing most of the work in Quain's stead could be just as interesting. We'd learn of those endearing elements after the fact, but given Quain's general bearing it might be more awkward to see her showing them than people remembering them.

Having Quain's death reported and her seriously injured - leading from the shadows - could be another way to pull that off with out completely removing her. But yeah, seeing as Kern's playing this hand close to his chest we're gonna have to remain on the edges of our seats.

Who knows, maybe Syphile will somehow convince Quain to let her live and rat out Zala'ess at the city council (which in turn would lead to Zala's downfall amongst her sisters for having screwed up while trying to get the edge over them...that plus what Chrystel discoveres in the throne room...). But yeah, we won't know until this chpt is over, but I seriously hope Quain doesn't perish before the long anticipated war begins, it just wouldn't be a very good, or believable, end for such a great character (and it would lead me to believe that Drowtales is gonna follow a trend of important characters suffering inappropriate ends, like what with happened with Senekha...I can see why Sen died that way even though she was a major Vloz player, she didn't appear much in the story before that chpt and wasn't central to the rest of the story, except that her death means the Kyorls shall likely become bolder and the Vloz more dangerous with Kharla unsupervized...but killing off someone like Quain, at the hands of someone like Syph...ugh, that just wouldn't go over well for the story in my opinion, but, eh, nothing I can do but watch now).

Also...If Quain spares Syph somehow that brings Syph back into the Sarghress fold and gives Ariel another challenge to face when she returns home (she would have thought the threat of Syphile to her was over with her banished but now she would have to deal with her all over again, and presumably Syph would have some protection now in that she may have impressed Quain or given her an edge over Zala...Meaning the two of them would have to dance around eachother to keep Quain's favor and look for an opening to take oneanother out).

...sigh, guess we'll find out soon (puts on Quain rules T-Shirt and hopes for best ^^ )
Durlyn Val'Sarghress
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Pariel » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:25 am

Well, there would be a possibility of Syphile to kill quain. And that is nether arts. Simply teach syphile to open nether gates all over like crazy. Herself being tainted would make her fairly immune to demons, whereas quain would -not- be. After all, ethereal demons can't be chopped down with a sword. Syphile was meant to learn summoning, but Quain pulled her out too early.

Although I doubt they'd gave that kind of power to her. And why would Quain spare anyone!? She's not the kind who suffers traitors very well.
Pariel
Sharen Errand Boy

Clan: Sharen

Postby Nagimalice » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:31 am

Given that we see Syphile sporting some newer taint scarring around her neck the possibility of her learning more nether summoning is there.
Nagimalice
Vel'akar

Clan: Beldrobbaen

PreviousNext

Return to Questions and World setting