A place for dead or inactive threads. May they rest in peace.

FFRPG Encyclopedia Entries [OUTDATED]

Postby Xian » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:01 am

(*Long overdue*)

No endorsement of Gelorn's backup post at this point.

The Drowtales FFRPG is a fantasy RPG, and we've already seen several characters who own and make use of katanas, and it's not at all unreasonable. Keep in mind that Drowtales also isn't medieval Europe, but we still see things like broadswords being used. We assume these weapons are everywhere, but it's just as easy to assume that the weapons of the day are actually katanas, wakazashis, tantos, etc. I'm not going to turn anyone away because they like a ninja-to or kusari-gama whatever.

Second, let's not try to say that ninja are incompetent; they certainly weren't, though as you say, they rarely survived against samurai merely because samurai are taught the straight-and-narrow version of fighting that involved brutally killing your enemy in a fairly head-on battle. Animes depict ninja as more samurai-ish than they really are, because they generally rush things and murder them in a single, graceful slash of doom. This is more indicative of samurai during the late Tokugawa period in Japan's history, where they were generally too poor to afford armor that they wore in previous ages. Ninjas were generally much more subtle about their work, employing poisons and darts and stuff. Really, fighting was a last resort. (Naruto version of ninjas notwithstanding) (In fact, basing your assumptions/character off an anime is a bad idea all around, especially if I'm familiar with it.)

That said, it shouldn't matter what ninjas were or were not. What matters is your character, and everyone is an individual. I don't expect any submissions to follow every truth about ninjas to the very letter, and I'll actually be really surprised if any do. If you have a particular version of a ninja that you'd like to play, and you can submit to me a good, solid history and personality, then I'll gladly approve it.

The golden rule is not to give me the idea that you're going to powergame/god mode. That is my only concern, and it's the same for every character submission, ninja or no.

EDIT: New information with respect to Samurai came to light, so I figure what the hell.
Last edited by Xian on Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xian
Demon

Postby DevilDrow » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:36 pm

I have a question about the world setting, what routes to the surface does the city have, because I seem to remember something about a large shaft filled with mist that went to the surface a short distance from the city..

(It was how my old characters sky ship got down)
Man is not born to fade, his existence in the Universe is that of a spark of flame, to ignite and engulf Eternity in his brilliance.
DevilDrow
Summoner

Postby Starlitdragon » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:12 pm

Hehe, Devildrow, wrong thread! The one you're looking for is labelled "(Newbies Testing Ground) School", found here. No matter, here is an entry on the recent creation, Val'Ravervan. (Sorry, but I haven't heard of this mist-filled shaft. XD)

---------
The world of drow is not completely limited to the gloomy underground caverns we see in the comic. In a storybook past, the drow lived on the surface. However, wars between the light and dark elves resulted in the dark elves fleeing underground. These dark elves eventually became drow. You may notice extremely old drow, such as the Val'Sharess, not possessing the 'black' skin of the younger generation.

Though currently, Drow only venture outside in surface raids (proving the existence of such routes/tunnels), there is a drow outpost known as Val'Ravervan.

Q. How is Val'Ravervan different from Chel'el'sussoloth?
A. Because Val'Ravervan is so close to the surface, a medly of races reside there, including light elves, humans, orcs, feral, etc. They are not necessarily slaves, like non-drow races in Chel'el'Sussoloth. Citizens of all creed are free people.

Q. Can I get to Chel'el'sussoloth from Val'Ravervan?
A. Yes, provided you don't have a character already there. You can use the thread here to travel from Chel'el'sussoloth to Ravervan, and this thread to finish the other half. You can start with either thread, depending on your original position. The Val'Illhar'ro maintain a secured road from Val'Ravervan to the borders of Chel'el'Sussoloth.

It is recommended you travel in a party to avoid random NPC attacks from our GMs.

Q. What kind of clan presences are in Val'Ravervan?
A. Ever wondered why the Illhar'dro are not a major presence in Chel'el'Sussoloth? That is because they healthily maintain Val'Ravervan on their own. The Val'Sarghress also have a presence in Ravervan, in the form of a subhouse known as Yurun'hiir. The Vloz'ress maintain a clan settlement, known as Vloz'Raveran. Two local clans, the Vir'Reska and Qin'Dalasque also exist, but bear in mind they are not throughly detailed in any way.

What kind of places can I RP in Val'Ravervan, anyways?
A. Val'Ravervan possesses a tavern, bazaar, and many other places you can RP in. These include the city itself, and threads you can create should you have a couple players.
Places that are yet to be created:
Clan fortress Val Ilhar´dro
Yurun´Hiir Encampement
Vir´Reska fortress
Phoenix´s eye

Can I go to the surface, from Val'Raveran?
A. Please remember this is a Drowtales FFRPG! We are centered around the Drowtales world, and we have not actually gone to the surface in the comic. Though Mat mentions you can, after many arrangements, travel to the surface, it is much better if you stick with the underdark.

Where can I find additional info on Val'Raveran?
Right here.

------------
Hope that helps. Feel free to PM me any corrections!
Starlitdragon
baneling

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Kite » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:56 am

More about tainting!
(Sourced from Kern)

So you've read the comic page where Tir'ade attempts to slow down the effects of his tainting. For the Kyorl'solenurn templars, this kind of feat requires extensive aura manipulation training-- it requires 'cutting' out the infested parts of their aura from the still pure parts, forcing the infection to grow from its seed again.

This is not a feat practiced lightly. We'll explain using a gardening analogy. Consider the pure aura as a flower, and the taint infection as seeds of grass.

You can cut the grass before it becomes too long, swallowing the flower. You risk cutting your flower too, so you must be careful with the scissors. On the other hand, you can be too careful, and leave too much grass just around the flower and get the same result; the grass growing too much and still covering the flower.

But where are you going to put the grass that you've cut?

In the comic, you saw Tir'ade using a gemstone-- gemstones in the drow civilization are used to contain energy, widely known as mana. It's used like a battery, to store or use. (Though any stone would work, but they lack the purity that gemstones retain, so it would store it badly. This is why gemstones are valued.) So to answer the last question, Tir'ade is using the gemstone to drain, or store, the tainted parts of his aura.
Kite
Mary Garren

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Even more about tainting, whee!

Postby Kite » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:08 am

Even more about tainting, whee!
Sourced from Kern.

I sent this PM to Krystal originally, since she needed more info on how taint is removed. I was too busy to put this up right away. :P

Ok, so as it stands, it's impossible to remove the seed of taint without killing the person, or in rare, best cases, turning them into someone like Laele'aell (which is still bad :p).

Alternatives:
It can be slowed, much like the methods I explained in the above post.
The other is specific to summoners on themselves, who if they have such a great control over their own aura, can simply 'crush' the seed to prevent it from growing. Of course, even summoners have points of weakness in which the seed takes advantage.

The third option isn't available to players unless their character is Sharen or Vloz'ress. Tainted in these clans can wear a suit of armor with special gemstones which drain the taint away-- basically the same way that you already know, except it is automatic. Like all magical things, these can be dispelled, but it is not easy.
Kite
Mary Garren

Postby Kite » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:40 pm

Basics about Ada, the drow currency.
Sourced from Kern.

Adamantium starts off as chucks of raw, unpure ore. The raw ore itself is not worth its weight; this is the poor drow's means of currency, using it to barter for goods. Slavers may also run mines to dig out the ore.

The poor drow doesn't have means to smelt the ore-- it is an undocumented procedure, but let's just assume that it's not possible without much effort. Adamantium is valuable for a reason-- but it is also reusable, like gold.

These raw ore of adamantium eventually make their way to Adamantium resellers-- usually directly from slavers who run mines, or the low-class drow who use it to barter. These resellers are almost always clan based, as most major clan possess the facilities and connections to make it work. With these facilities, they carefully smelt the ore into practical portions they can use to barter with. Since adamantium is always coming in, it makes sense that adamantium is taken out when it is used in constructing things.

Now, adamantium's worth is related to its weight after it is smelted/purified. At first, it was molded into large, cumbersome bars and traded to clans in bulk for supplies, services, and favors. Over time, as clans began to use adamantium to trade, it became more practical and convienent to carry 'coins' of adamantium on ones person. A single coin is considered one 'unit weight' of ada, no heavier than a quarter.

To relate its use to goods: A single coin of ada is good for a meal in a resturant. Ten ada buys a nice dress. Forty ada can buy a slave.

Now, since ada's worth is in its weight, would it be practical that anything made out of pure adamantium is worth its weight? No; not all goods cost the materials needed to make it. The crafter will probably charge for labor, and good craftsmen will charge for simply applying their skill. More about that later.

In relation to currency used on the surface, it is worthless to the point of negligible. The only currency between the surface and the underworld is bartering of goods and services.

Now, adamantium isn't the only thing used as currency. Gold and other things might be used too. In comparison, gold and ada is like cents to a dollar, so it would not be unusual to have gold pennies. :p

Subtopic: Adamantium

Adamantium is valued for many reasons-- its hardiness being the underlining factor. This makes it very, very difficult to melt in large quanities, and even more difficult to mold into large objects, such as armor or weapons. Adamantium of course does not -make- the weapon good, it requres a master craftsman to make it into a good weapon. To put it into perspective, a shoddily made adamantium item is, and will never be, as good as a lovingly crafted item made of lesser, high quality materials that serve the same fuction.

For this reason you will never see a constructed adamantium wall-- simply too impractical, since walls are simple obstacles in warfare, and it is expensive. Pure adamantium equipment and weapons is also impractical in warefare; simply use cheap steel equipment and weapons, use the ada to train and pay the soldiers. There are other ways to get around armor and weapons, too, that makes it too risky to invest so much in.
Kite
Mary Garren

Postby Kite » Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:47 pm

Hurray! It's here!

Demon Summoning vs. Traditional Summoning
Sourced from Kern
Credits to Daymon and Xian for helping me iron this out :)

Traditional Summons, Part 1:

Traditional summoning: Aura-possessing creatures native to the world the drow live in, or anything Fae in other words. When summoned from their recepticle (a gemstone typically), they materialize in their native shape using the surrounding environment to create their physical shell.
Example: Drowolath summoners rip the aura out of an elf (resulting in its death), sealing its aura into a gem receptical. Summoning the elf's aura out of the recepitcal and into a room of stone, and it becomes a stone golem.

This a very ancient skill, used in events dating back to the War of the Moons and beyond.

Going back to those days, consider an elvish village. The rites of adulthood: Send the young to kill a beast, bring back a trophy of the kill and seal its aura in a gem. Returning to the village, the young elf shows its elders the trophy she had taken from the beast. She is then granted to learn the ways of the summoner, making the beast forever her servant, summoning it from its gem prison to make it do her will.

Little has changed in summoning since that time, except that native aura-possessing beasts are now nearly extinct on the surface ever since the destruction and wars that waged there. (When using the environment and its inhabitants as your weapons, it's a surprise that anything remains left of it.)

Summoning is a powerful skill, as well as a very taxing one if not properly managed. Since the fae are, as described, a 'fountain of mana', they constantly generate it around them. A summon, however, cannot-- when the summoning occurs, a bond is created which allows the summoner to not only control the creature, but supply them with their own mana so that they may exist. So long as the summon is outside of its gem receptical, it must be fed mana, otherwise it loses its physical form.

If you read it correctly, then yes, one cannot have a large summon out indefinately, as it will eventually drain the summoner of all their mana. Smaller summons, such as the size of a rat, might be able to coexist without this threat.

For the typical drow (and when I mean typical, I mean players) summoning anything larger than a horse is not practical to the safety of the summoner. (This obviously does not apply to people of extrodinary talent, such as those present in the comic.)

So, with that said, here's a list of possible summonable creatures:

Humanoids:
Golem; A non-descript humanoid.
Vorfan; A humanoid wolf creature.
Aarmsis; A humanoid naga creature.
Chetutun; A humanoid drider creature.
Sihagna; A humanoid lizard creature.

Creatures:
Warlar; Wolven creature.
Kusai; Snake creature.
Metchotl; Anarchid creature.
Halzokh; Lizard creature.

You are probably wondering, "So creatures like this exist?" Well, not exactly. The Jaal'darya have something to do with this, I can't elaborate more on why or how of that though. And before you ask 'Where are the dragons?' well, dragons are just too powerful. :P

Part 2 coming soon. :)
Kite
Mary Garren

Postby Kite » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:51 pm

About Mounts
Sourced from Kern

Mounts:

Normal commute by carriage or mount: Giant lizards
(FFRPG players can only use giant lizards for the meantime.)

Sarghress: Giant Wolves
Sullisin'rune: Sabretooth tigers
Vloz'ress: Giant snakes, giant bugs
Sharen: Dragons
Nal'Sarkoth: Buffalo/oxen
Beldrobbaen: Giant spiders
Illhar'dro: Wingless birds
Kyorl'Solenurn: Warhorses

Every single clan and commoner has access to (ie, renting) giant lizards of many sizes, as they serve better in pulling carriages or carrying large loads of supplies. Clan-specific mounts, however, are special: there isn't a 1:1 ratio of drow:mount in clans, so they are saved for their squads, war, and political circumstances.
Last edited by Kite on Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kite
Mary Garren

Postby Big P » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:09 am

Okay for some reason the links to the World Setting pages on the second post of this thread are not working.
Big P
Vel'akar

Postby Starlitdragon » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:05 am

Starlitdragon
baneling

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Kite » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:56 pm

Thanks much Starlit :) It's all been updated!
Kite
Mary Garren

Postby Izz'la'mar » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:26 am

Will part two ever be written? *puppy eyes* I'm sure people would love to see it though I can understand Kite not having the time she might have had before now.
Izz'la'mar
Vel'akar

Location: Prolly off being amused at some suffering my rp character is undergoing... >.> what?

Postby Kite » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:01 am

ah, I'm so sorry Izz'la'mar :( I *did* write part II, but I lost it months ago. Since this is my week off, it'll be the first thing I complete. :)

also, my apologies for the extreme lateness of this information. I've been rather busy XD
Kite
Mary Garren

Postby Izz'la'mar » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:57 pm

Yay ^_^ Much appreciated and not at all expected so a nice surprise.
Izz'la'mar
Vel'akar

Location: Prolly off being amused at some suffering my rp character is undergoing... >.> what?

Postby Kite » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:28 am

Ok, it isn't as lengthy or as descriptive as what I originally wrote (*cry!*), but I wrote down what I remembered.

If there is any other catagory you want to see elaborated, let me know.

==========

Traditional Summoning Part II:

Soulmir: The old-tongue name for gems which contain summonable fey auras. Only one aura can exist per physical gem.

Elendlari:
Old-tongue name for traditional summoners; amongst the common drow, it is more often used as a title (“I am Elendlari Soandso.â€
Kite
Mary Garren

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Threads