Newbie School: FFRPG Help and Discussion

Postby Lone_Wolf » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:17 pm

Damn Kem, sorry to hear about your vision mate.

Anyways, I thought I'd give a quick color reading guide from a person who has full color vision (I know, the wolf has full color vision and you don't, life sucks eh?)

Dark Red : Well, the thing is, people usually use color to make thinks stand out. This color of text actually makes the default color seem to stand out more than itself.

Red: A good color to use in moderation. Stands out well for when your character is angry. However, personally for me I find it annoying when people use this for all their text, it gives off the same vibe as when someone types in all Caps. Like what you have to say isn't really thoughtful or important, so you use the color to grab people's attention. Of course I might just think this way because of the people who do use it like that on the forums.

Orange: Not bad, stands out well enough, but not too much. You could use this as something of a constant

Brown: Same as dark red.

Yellow: This is the same as Red for me, used in moderation to show, say happyness, it can be used to put a lot of emphasis on one word. However, this type of text can get really annoying very quickly.

Green: Same as Orange.

Olive: Same as dark red, though slightly better.

Cyan: Same as Yellow.

Blue: Now Blue, for me, is a useless color when it comes to using it for text. It's too bold to be used as a constant, and gets annoying about as quickly as Red, but unlike red a blue this color really doesn't have an emotion that can be used with it.

Dark Blue: Dark blue text on a dark blue background? Brilliance! (To avoid any confusion I'm going to go ahead and tell you that, that was sarcasm.)

Indigo: Same as Dark Blue, too close to the background color.

Violet: Same as yellow, though it could probably be used as more of a constant than yellow could.

White: Not much different than the lightish blue used for the default color, if you wanted you could use it as a constant... though I'm not sure why you would.

Black: For reasons unknown I actually find this harder to read than the dark blue. Please don't use this text... unless it's for like say, spoilers or something. Since I always need to highlight this to read it anyways.

Over all though I'd say the best use of color is none at all. While color can make certain parts of your text, like when your character is talking, stand out. It also takes attention away from the rest of your text. Color has a way of drawing people's eyes to it, and it makes it distracting to read a whole post when there are the bits of color splashed through it. To me, using color is like using a highlighter to highlight a block of text on a letter. It says: "This is all that is important, the rest doesn't matter."
Lone_Wolf
Wolf King

Location: Booze for the booze god! Bottles for the bottle throne!

Wootness

Postby Alamandorious » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:39 pm

Alamandorious, having been re-reading worldsetting information a few more times, looks up as a messenger delivers a parchement to him. Nodding his thanks, the Drowussu opens the message carefully and reads it, before grinning and raising his arms in triumph.

"Approved! Sweet!" he exclaims, before blushing and coughing for his out of character statement.

Smiling with satisfaction, Alamandorious stands and turns to the people that helped him get where he is,"I'd like to thank everyone for their help. Without your advice I wouldn't have been able to pass the inspection the first time around," he says, his deep voice sounding clear within the confines of the classroom,"Now I have but one question left...how do I begin my adventures?"
Alamandorious
Brother-Captain

Postby Lone_Wolf » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:25 pm

"Post you fool!" The talking wolf yells, "Post like the wind!"

*Cough*

"Seriously though, just find a place where your character can logically be presant and post. Black Dragon Tavern is a common place to do this. Sometimes the grandest of adventures start with people just looking for a drink..."
Lone_Wolf
Wolf King

Postby Black Hell » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:39 pm

Roda taps the indicator finger of its left hand on the desk hardly, while the other supports its head. His eyes look around everyone in the room once more, and then to the golem…
The golem just lifts the small spear that Roda placed on the other side of the desk.
All present in the room can figure it out that Roda is inpatient.
[color=red]â€
Black Hell
Vel'akar

Postby Lone_Wolf » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:30 pm

Listen, I wasn't just picking on you. However, when you posted that the first thing my eyes were drawn to was the first block of red text, I didn't even read what you wrote before that. It isn't a matter of eyes hurting, no one said their eyes were hurting. Kem can't read it at all because he's partially color blind, and to me it's just annoying. But it's not even about that, read the last of my post. When you put color on certian blocks of text it takes away from the rest of your post.
Lone_Wolf
Wolf King

Postby Black Hell » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:05 pm

Looking at the wolf whit a raised eye brow, Roda smiles a bit nervously
â€
Black Hell
Vel'akar

Postby kembaru » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:06 pm

Black Hell wrote:Roda taps the indicator finger of its left hand on the desk hardly, while the other supports its head. His eyes look around everyone in the room once more, and then to the golem…
The golem just lifts the small spear that Roda placed on the other side of the desk.

He says a bit irritated, looking at the golem as it tries to stick the spear on Roda’s left hand

The tone of that line was a mixture of discontent and impatience…
He sighs once more.

((To me, that is what your posts look like untill I highlight them. It hurts my mouse clickin' finger more than my eyes.))

"As for the crystal retaining memories, I seem to remember the golem maker Soban had a golemised bat that could fly out and show the owner what it had seen, but needless to say this mechanism would be ridiculously complicated to the point where it would only be available to the Illhardro clan, as they have some pretty awesome golems. So you'll have to have purchased that from them, else been part of the clan itself at one point." Says the archivist as he directs the removalists to set up his giant coffee machine up the back of the classroom.
kembaru
Walking Contradiction

Postby Zarathiel » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:22 pm

Zakretan slunk into the classroom, peering nervously about himself, as if waiting for something to leap out and bite him. His ragged clothing looked even more disheveled than usual, and one of his knives was reduced to a crumpled length of accordioned metal--he had the appearance of one who has been viciously chewed out, and knows despite all protestations that he deserved it.
"Umm... er..." A chair creaked, and the Xuile'solen nearly jumped out of his skin. "They said this was where I should go to become a better character... Can somebody help me?"
Zarathiel
Nether Seed

Location: Somewhere halfway between the stratospere and the Earth's core.

Postby Black Hell » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:42 pm

kembaru wrote:
Black Hell wrote:Roda taps the indicator finger of its left hand on the desk hardly, while the other supports its head. His eyes look around everyone in the room once more, and then to the golem…

He says a bit irritated, looking at the golem as it tries to stick the spear on Roda’s left hand

The tone of that line was a mixture of discontent and impatience…
He sighs once more.

((To me, that is what your posts look like untill I highlight them. It hurts my mouse clickin' finger more than my eyes.))

OOC: really? weird!
Last edited by Black Hell on Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Hell
Vel'akar

Postby kembaru » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:45 pm

((It is, isn't it?))

"Welcome to hell, then." Says the Archivist, peering at the sightless drow over his glasses.

"First off, I must say that I read your character sheet, and if I were to speak my mind right now you would be in great pain, but no... you're too heavily tainted to feel pain, now aren't you?"

The Archivist sighs and rubs his eyes.

"First off, if you want a good character sheet I'd suggest coming up with a character. This is important. To steal someone's metaphor we're looking for characters here, not what we call 'meat grinders'. Xian sent you here to get an entirely new outlook on the FFRPG and here is where you shall get it."

"First I might suggest looking around at the sticky threads in this very forum section, the player's guide by Lady Kite is an awesome place to get some information that you will need to know to get approved. And you do need to know this stuff, quite simply because in your character sheet you proposed at least three instances that were basically impossible in this world setting."

"My suggestions are as follows: Remove every aspect of your character right down to the name, and start with a personality rather than a combat configuration. This will get you started on the way to being a character instead of a powerplaying shit."
kembaru
Walking Contradiction

Postby Black Hell » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:01 pm

Roda nods as he hears the archivist talking, eating his words, and noting them down on the paper he he brought home.
When the archivist stops talking
â€
Black Hell
Vel'akar

Postby kembaru » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:04 pm

((And I thank you for it.))
kembaru
Walking Contradiction

Postby Lone_Wolf » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:11 pm

The wolf puts a paw up to his mouth and gives out a slight cough.

“Okay, now I actually have a question. Now I know that characters are only allowed to have one sorcery element, but that limit doesn’t apply to high art elements does it? It just sort of seems like a human child going to school all his life and coming out of it only learning anything about history. Now while characters might excel in one element in particular they still do learn all of the others, correct?â€
Lone_Wolf
Wolf King

Postby kembaru » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:22 pm

"Xian's explanation of it was that you learn all of the elements, but not to so great an extent as anyone with a specific sorcery, for instance one with fire sorcery would be able to cast a huge fireball spell, where as someone with high art would only be able to cast it about the size of a fist. It's a matter of power."

"Of course high art being an art, rather than a natural ability it would improve with practice, so the older you are the more powerful, however there is a limit, so try to keep yourself limited and reasonable."
kembaru
Walking Contradiction

Postby Xian » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:32 pm

"Ho, there," Xian says in one of his rare appearances. "I don't know that I ever said 'huge fireball,' but kembaru certainly has the right idea. A student of the Orthorbbae would learn all of the primary elements, which include fire, ice, electricity and earth (or stone or whatever it's called these days) and maybe water or something, but the extent to which they learn them is much less. However, you should bear in mind that it's not improbable for a student at the Orthorbbae to have a natural sorcery, which they could certainly concentrate on developing while they're there."

Lifting a hand with his palm up, he continues. "This means that they would have one very powerful element, honed through both natural sorcery and professional tutelage in the high arts. An older character could theoretically know a bit of every element, plus swordplay, plus his sorcery, but that's asking a bit much in the FFRPG. Still, it's an idea if you're creating a character like, say Kelnoz, who is essentially an exclusive Faern. A single powerful element and a base proficiency with the others."

"I hope that helps." Xian kicks his feet up on a shiny new desk. "You know, the old school used to have some crotchety old man as a teacher. I wonder what ever happened to him."
Xian
Demon

PreviousNext

Return to Roleplay