Newbie School: FFRPG Help and Discussion

Re: Newbie School: FFRPG Help and Discussion

Postby Gunbird » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:43 pm

Im having a bit

Do you think its better if the drow went though "mana portals" to go from there universe to ours in my earth age RP? I think it would could cut down on the "lampshade" situations in the RP.

Or do you think its a better setting if they just come out of the ground like in the Day Dream story?
Gunbird
Vel'akar

Postby gd1 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:25 pm

Would the following ability be possible?

Blood art that allows creation of organic poisons from blood. A poison first has to be introduced into the user's bloodstream and then can later be imitated or perhaps even changed. To recreate it, the user must cut themselves and bleed it out. The poison denatures somewhat quickly (a few minutes) unless stored properly.
gd1
Demon

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby IkaikaKekai » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:13 pm

I'm not sure if you could 'store' poison in the body without any side effects. I also don't think you could use a body to 'create' more poisons from blood. Blood arts (at least to my knowledge) has been used to purify and purge poisons from blood, and of course, mater is neither created or destroyed, all that poison has to go somewhere, weather it's diluted in the bloodstream to a non lethal concentration to wait for the body's natural systems to deal with, or is concentrated and expelled somehow.
On that same note I could see the use of blood arts being used as a means of bio warfare. IE having a host (slave, or yourself) with a blood born disease who's a carrier, then concentrating the disease and collecting it for use on another.
*EDIT*
Longterm storage of poisons in the body wouldn't be a good idea, but short term (say to get past a guard or checkpoint) in theory would be doable.
IkaikaKekai
Dragon of the Nether

Postby gd1 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:46 am

IkaikaKekai wrote:I'm not sure if you could 'store' poison in the body without any side effects. I also don't think you could use a body to 'create' more poisons from blood. Blood arts (at least to my knowledge) has been used to purify and purge poisons from blood, and of course, mater is neither created or destroyed, all that poison has to go somewhere, weather it's diluted in the bloodstream to a non lethal concentration to wait for the body's natural systems to deal with, or is concentrated and expelled somehow.
On that same note I could see the use of blood arts being used as a means of bio warfare. IE having a host (slave, or yourself) with a blood born disease who's a carrier, then concentrating the disease and collecting it for use on another.
*EDIT*
Longterm storage of poisons in the body wouldn't be a good idea, but short term (say to get past a guard or checkpoint) in theory would be doable.

I meant that they turn a portion of their blood poisonous. Storage would be in airtight containers (like glass vials). There are certain animals with poisonous blood (mainly eels).

Risk

Poisoning is extremely rare and there are no reports from more recent times. The toxins are inactivated by boiling or frying as well as by the gastric juices. There is a theoretical risk only if the animals were to be eaten raw or had not been cooked long enough. Moray, Conger and Snake eels are also potentially ciguatoxic.

Signs and symptoms

According to Halstead (2001a), drinking fresh, uncooked blood causes the following signs and symptoms: diarrhoea, bloody stools, nausea, vomiting, hypersalivation, skin eruptions, cyanosis, apathy, irregular pulse, weakness, paraesthesias, paralysis, respiratory distress and possibly death.

Ocular contact is said to invoke a severe burning sensation and redness of the conjunctivae, lacrimation and swelling of the eyelids.

Note the underlined segment. It isn't dangerous when ingested (well rarely anyway), but a poison introduced directly into the bloodstream is dangerous.

There are also some animals with poisonous skin.

I'm wondering if mana arts could bridge the gap in a way and make it possible to turn a portion of your blood toxic which you immediately secrete through an open cut (probably self inflicted) rather than store inside yourself. My figuring is that this would be an unusual application of blood arts.
gd1
Demon

Postby django » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:59 am

Anything is possible with Magic. But what you are asking for might not fly in the Rp's before we continue talking about this.

I see what you are talking about. And to be honest I think giving someone a stroke or a blood clot is a quicker and less elaborate way of killing someone with blood bending.

You could probably spray someone in the eyes or open cut with the blood. Whip it around like a water whip.
django
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby gd1 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:23 am

django wrote:Anything is possible with Magic. But what you are asking for might not fly in the Rp's before we continue talking about this.

I see what you are talking about. And to be honest I think giving someone a stroke or a blood clot is a quicker and less elaborate way of killing someone with blood bending.

You could probably spray someone in the eyes or open cut with the blood. Whip it around like a water whip.

Full uses could include:
Manufacturing anesthetics (for both poison use and emergency pain relief, probably with long term side effects)
Manufacturing a neurotoxin (nasty effects quickly followed by death shortly thereafter)

Basically it makes the character a makeshift pharmacy (depending on what sort of organic toxins (plant based probably wouldn't be something they could replicate and they certainly couldn't duplicate mineral based ones) they have access to) as well as an assassin of sorts.

I'm also not sure, but don't naga's have poison glands? So couldn't they harvest their own venom?
gd1
Demon

Postby django » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:32 am

-I'm not an expert on Naga's, but its not unreasonable to think not all of them do have venom. Like not all snakes have it either.

-I'm trying to remember if Naga's have magic affinties. But I'll go on a limb and say I'm sure they do have magic similar to drow, I just cant remember seeing any of them in the comics doing so. We so rarely see them as it is.

I'm sure you could do the pharmacy thing. I have a medical character too who basicly makes what he needs. But I'm not sure what the rules are for poisons are for the 1114 but its probably restricted to minor ones and I don't know the answer to milking your own venom. But I'm sure you could because why not.
django
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Gunbird » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:37 am

After playing a game called "Tokyo Xtreme Racer :Zero", I was thinking if it a good idea to set up a highway racing RP on the forms.

Is there any problems setting up a game like this?

Edit: I'm guess it's not a good idea.
Gunbird
Vel'akar

Postby Yao Huang » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Well, after lurking in the comic for 2+ years, and with an accepted character, its finally time.

I must role play into the night.

If... Uh, I knew where I could dip my toes in. Any RP threads up that wouldn't be hard to jump into? Its a bit difficult to tell where I'd be welcome and where I wouldn't be.
Yao Huang
Nether Seed

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Gunbird » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:15 pm

Nice to someone new playing in the RP from. It's getting kind of slow here this time of year.

The a person named django can help you set up. Do you know how to send a Privet Message on this from?

Have fun.
Gunbird
Vel'akar

Postby django » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:41 pm

There are a couple of thing we could do. If you want to rp in the 1114 area we could start in a market place or a Inn/Tavern for starters.

Anything in mind you would like to do? I can set us up something if you would like.
django
Dragon of the Nether

Postby TheRedSir » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:30 am

So i'm kind of new to this forum and this is all a little overwhelming; however I'd like to get involved. So if anyone would kindly tell me if i've got this right, i'd appreciate it.

Raveran 1114: Requires a "registered" character. I assume there is some over arching story involving Raveran that requires order to be kept amongst the characters in order to prevent it from turning into a CW show (Were everyone is related or clones and stuff).

DT Freestyle As the name says; I take it these are random stories taking place in the DT universe that anyone can make and jump into as long as they have a plot in mind and knowledge of the DT lore and story.

Game Tavern: This one confuses me, is it supposed to be a hub for people to plan role-plays? The description says "participate in roleplay or gaming threads with other members of the forum." So what makes it any different then DT Freestyle?

Drowtales Role-play Archive:[/b] A place for me to look into old role-plays that took place pre-timeskip. I guess it may hold some information that relates to a few DT Freestyle role-plays (can't say if its the same for Raveran 1114).

Archived Threads: A useless thread that I can read for the shits and giggles but not really important anymore hence the "rest in peace" mentioned in the description.

I have more questions but I will wait until I (hopefully) get a response. Thanks.
TheRedSir
Tik'tikki

Postby django » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:57 am

Hello there TheRedSir. Welcome to the forms! To answer your questions.

1-Raveran 1114, does require you to have a registered character. While there isn't necessarily an over arching story in that section. It is more permanent then the other areas. Like if your character died there, he/she could not come back. Another thing is you can only have one character in one place at a time. You cant play 2 characters at once in the same rp.

There is also limits to what you can be. Like most clans in this rp area you cant play a Val character, or anything that could have interacted with main characters in the comic.

All RPs in Raven 1114, take place in one city or around it and during this timeline.

2- DT freestyle is basically a more opened area compared to Raven 1114. You can have Rps that take place in Chel, Naq, or far away on the surface. Or on a different time line. You don't need a Registered character to play here, but you still need a basic understanding of the DT world setting.

You can also have several characters you own in the same rp and have them interact with each other.

3- Game Tavern is where anything not Drowtales is played. Like The Banning Game, or something completely not Drowtales. It used to be back in the day there was no DT Free play. It was just the offial RP and Game Tavern.

4-The RP Archive is just a place for really old rps go from the past.

Hope this helps out. Any more question your more then welcome to ask. :)
django
Dragon of the Nether

Postby TheRedSir » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:36 am

Thanks I appreciate the help. I have done some research on Raveran 1114 and I feel like I understand the general rules about it. It is set up so that no one player can go around destroying the political landscape that has been set up and is designed to take place in a way that attempts to not disturb the canon plot and it's characters with all the different RPs taking place in the city of Raveran and existing side by side. Once I figure out what I want to do with that i'll send in the character sheet.

As for the DT freestyles, would I just jump into it with a character in mind or should I explain what i'm doing/planning to do before I start?

On that note is there a different font or symbol for when typing OOC such as (example) or "example"? Perhaps its a fonts color?

No rush, answer at your own leisure. Thanks.
TheRedSir
Tik'tikki

Postby IkaikaKekai » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:00 am

Parentheses are used for OOC chat. I usually use ((two)), other use more.

In Freestyle it's generally a good idea to ask the OP/GM via PM to join in, if for no other reason than to coordinate entry or confirm that a presence would be welcome in an RP. For example in Wu Kong, which is normally an open and public seering, its something of an private play at the moment, though if someone were to come calling at Ikooba's gate at night, they probably wouldn't be turned away from a meal.

It generally helps if you do even a small character sheet or at least be detailed about your character in your first post. IE: (Bri'an walks up to the Innkeeper and says, "Gimme an Ale.") isn't exactly a good start, (Bri'an, a lanky, black haired light elf slowly walks into the Tavern, a brown cloak covering his leather armor and steel scimitar. He smiles at the Innkeeper with his green eyes and asks, "Gimme an Ale.") would be a bit better, at least until your character gets more well known by the regulars.
IkaikaKekai
Dragon of the Nether

PreviousNext

Return to Roleplay