Timeskip Contest Collaboration Thread

Timeskip Contest Collaboration Thread

Postby La'karma » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:06 pm

Here are the basics.
Got a clan idea, but you aren't sure it will fit the world setting. Bring it here. Got an event planned, but don't know if it will flow with the world setting. Bring it up here. Have an idea for a location, but can't figure out what the heck Val'Raveran look like. Please bring it up here. Have answers that could possible help some folks. Please, have mercy on them and bring it here. This thread is meant as a place where ideas meet, greet, and chat for a bit. A place that I hope will help folks bring forth good ideas and secretly help me...I mean help spark new ideas that have yet to be thought of.
However just remember...
Sharing is Caring, so don't steal.
La'karma
Summoner

Re: Timeskip Contest Collaboration Thread

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:33 pm

HEY.

So. We should use this.

First question is: How do Drow organize their military? Illhar'ess = Commander in Chief, but after that, I have no idea.
Second question is: How large are clan populations, generally?
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Thalar » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:05 am

DeadPigeonGolem wrote:First question is: How do Drow organize their military? Illhar'ess = Commander in Chief, but after that, I have no idea.

Entirely depends on the clan. For example, the Sarghress have an organized military that seems to be across subhouses. The Sharen have individual, highly skilled warriors that may fight alongside each other but are units in their own right, and follow their subhouse/bloodline. The Kyorl'solenurn are organized in Orders, each with its own focus and troop setup. And the Vloz'ress have their gangs, with whatever their leading summoner decides to throw in there.

So the general answer seems to be: whatever fits the clan's culture.

DeadPigeonGolem wrote:Second question is: How large are clan populations, generally?

Again, depends on the clan. The Sarghress are an extreme with thousands upon thousands of commoners swelling their ranks. A normal small clan might have 25-100, a medium sized 100-300, and a great clan could have any number of members.

It's of course possible to have lots of members without any real power, but that would be a clan on the verge of a brutal breakup. (Or breakdown? Whichever direction would be more epic.)
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:52 pm

There's been some estimation of great clans generally ranging in the 3,000 to 4,000 range, with the Sarghress being an anomaly. Does this seem accurate?
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby Thalar » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:02 pm

DeadPigeonGolem wrote:There's been some estimation of great clans generally ranging in the 3,000 to 4,000 range, with the Sarghress being an anomaly. Does this seem accurate?

Try 250-3000 range. I would be very careful about guesstimating the size of any one great clan, as the size can vary greatly. Number of members is only a part of what keeps a great clan in power, and Kern has so far only given us the sizes of the Sarghress (hugely inflated) and the Sharen (if estimated from the size of Zala'ess' bloodline).
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:55 pm

Awesome, thanks for the assist!
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby La'karma » Wed May 02, 2012 1:58 am

How does one write a history, when one doesn't know what caused the Illhar'dro to leave?
La'karma
Summoner

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Wed May 02, 2012 4:18 pm

Ignore the Illhar'dro leaving thing. Just be like "X-clan was damaged/strengthened to a small/great extent by the Exodus of the Illhar'dro and the events surrounding their departure."
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby La'karma » Wed May 02, 2012 8:35 pm

So I don't need to create the reason or explain why or what happened, just that it impacted my clan to some extent? Yet, how can I figure out what the impact was if I don't know what happened.
I mean if it is decided that the city went to war or that Anti-Val riots broke out, then do I have to change my clan's history to fit that?
La'karma
Summoner

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Wed May 02, 2012 9:01 pm

You would have to, unfortunately. I would just say that a certain number of Vals and a certain number of Subhouse Members died/were incapacitated in the fighting, then add a sentence after as a sort of "here's why that many people died" explanatory.
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby Thalar » Thu May 17, 2012 11:10 am

La'karma wrote:So I don't need to create the reason or explain why or what happened, just that it impacted my clan to some extent? Yet, how can I figure out what the impact was if I don't know what happened.
I mean if it is decided that the city went to war or that Anti-Val riots broke out, then do I have to change my clan's history to fit that?

Just create the clan using the information I gave in the contest post; If it is chosen it will be adapted to fit around any event that also makes it in, or any event that I add after the contest is over :)
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Return to Roleplay