DT RPG: 2012 timeskip contest! (And results!)

Re: DT RPG: 2012 timeskip contest!

Postby Eltharrion » Sat May 26, 2012 8:47 am

Oh, mine was finished about a month or two ago. Yeah, got too much free time and a lot of inspiration.
...Wait, didn't the deadline pass nearly a week ago already?
Eltharrion
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Maria » Sat May 26, 2012 8:50 am

The deadline is June 20th.

...you are stuck in a time vortex, my friend. *paps*

Mine is a few old ideas I've gutted. Now just need to get the culture down pat before I can do anything else.
Maria
Vel'akar

Clan: Sharen

Postby Eltharrion » Sat May 26, 2012 9:28 am

...Okay, can somebody give me a palm tree? I need to facepalm myself so much...
This is what you get when english is NOT your native language and you start counting months.
Well, to my defense I must claim that I AM trapped in time loop, as I got nothing to do with my life for next 1,5 weeks or so... No studies, no work, no friends to hang out with (curse you time for making them have no free time and me having only free), so yeah, I'm already forgetting what month it is.
Eltharrion
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Maria » Sat May 26, 2012 9:31 am

It's okay, I'm not a native English speaker either...and I have yet to memorize all the months. SAD LYFE.

And I know that feel, hnnnng, I really do. I'm free when the friends are busy, they're busy when I'm free. The world is out to screw us.
Maria
Vel'akar

Clan: Sharen

Postby Aerisa » Sun May 27, 2012 1:34 pm

Maria wrote:It's okay, I'm not a native English speaker either...and I have yet to memorize all the months. SAD LYFE.

Heh, the months are easy! They are all practically the same as they are in my language(french)... it's the name of the day of the that are impossible to remember(for me anyway). xD

Question: What's the size of an average clan? We know from the MA that the Sharen are said to have a force of around 3000 persons, but we don't have much to compare it with.
Aerisa
Vel'akar

Postby Durlyn Val'Sarghress » Sun May 27, 2012 5:17 pm

Sounds interesting, bummer about no clans with male leaders though (the underworld has clans with demon summoners and people who consider biogolems fashion statements but no guy illhars? XD)

Would a male devess be permitted? Generals? Advisers etc? Just asking before I put any real work into a clan with less strict gender roles in it, like the Sarghress etc. Also, I recall Raveran has some diversity with its races, would it be alright to have vanir/light elves be part of a drow clan? Or do all clans have to be completely drowolath or drowussu?
Durlyn Val'Sarghress
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Aerisa » Mon May 28, 2012 9:05 am

Durlyn Val'Sarghress wrote:Sounds interesting, bummer about no clans with male leaders though (the underworld has clans with demon summoners and people who consider biogolems fashion statements but no guy illhars? XD)

Would a male devess be permitted? Generals? Advisers etc? Just asking before I put any real work into a clan with less strict gender roles in it, like the Sarghress etc. Also, I recall Raveran has some diversity with its races, would it be alright to have vanir/light elves be part of a drow clan? Or do all clans have to be completely drowolath or drowussu?

Not sure about the second part, but considering we know there are a few male-only houses in the Beld and that Rosof is De'vess (de've?) of his house, I think it should be fine. However I believe it was said that this is exceptionnal, and generally even if it DOES happen the male is expected to arrange a female heir for the house.
Aerisa
Vel'akar

Postby Junglefowl26 » Tue May 29, 2012 1:05 am

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16611

I put the first part of my entry here. Locations and events should come soon.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Tue May 29, 2012 1:12 am

I just want to say: HOLY DAMN Drowtales has a global audience!!

In other news, Maria noted in my entry's thread that Raveran's total population is something like 10,000 people? Consequently, clans are probably quite small.

Additionally, would it be appropriate to call our clan members by Val Prefixes? Maria and I had a discussion on this and I assumed that Val Status was dependent on size AND stature, not just one or the other. Thoughts?
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby Nielspeterdejong » Thu May 31, 2012 10:17 am

That does sound like a very interesting idea. I'll try to write down my idea for the Clan in the way you described here.

A question though: After I've finished it, how do I send it to you?
Nielspeterdejong
Tik'tikki

Postby Hetros » Thu May 31, 2012 10:29 am

Not sure If I'm supposed to submit here or not, but putting the preliminary design here >_> Probably need to do some HEAVY editing, since this guy was put into a just for fun design contest :3

History: Where so many out lieing drow settlements fell apart due to lack of magic, the Val'Evarus found a way of surviving even when only 20% of their population is magic capable. The Val'Evarus clan has a larger number of sightless Drow than anywhere else in the drow nations barring the barbarian tribes hidden within the tunnels. The Val'Evarus isolated their mana-gifted members, training them, and making sure they bred. Those with weak mana were protected, but were basically slaves to the mana users. As time passed, and the gift of mana became polarized between the two layers of society, the higher class drow, and lower class (almost slave like) sightless, the way their society survived was established.

The Val'Evarus are consumate survivors above all else, and make much use of bio-engineered insects and bugs throughout their forces. Using them to scavenge, farm, and fight alongside their sightless servants. Because of nescessity, the Val'Evarus have no prejudices against Driders and sightless, even though sightless are practically slaves, this doesn't mean they are mistreated or disrespected, for the mana-using rulers of Val'Evarus know full well that they wouldn't survive without their sightless bretheren, and likewise, the sightless almost universally accept their position knowing that they would be forced to live as barbarians and animals out in the tunnels without the mana-users. It is a tedious balance of power, and has been maintained for generations.

Driders are fully welcomed within the ranks of Val'Evarus, and they have been known to rescue driders who have been driven into the tunnels and are on the edge of going mad, these driders are given a choice between passage to the Drider Hive or a place within the clan, as such, the Val'Evarus have quite close ties with the Hive, and an enormous amount of loyalty from their Drider members, who are given the place of knights of the underworld as they were at the beginning of the moonless age.

Clan Traditions
Colors: Dark Grey, Blue, Brown, and Black. Colors that allow them to perfectly blend with the cavern walls.
Animal: Insects of all forms, though the Kirisue (in a bio-engineered form) are most often used as mounts.
Symbol: A Kirisue gripping it's tail in it's mandibles to form a circle around a bleeding eye socket.
Special features: Bug-specific empathy and large numbers of sightless.

Clan Troops
Stalkers: Sightless specially trained in ambush tactics. They are given armor specifically designed to make them blend and to dampen their heat signature to the point where other drow and even dueregar are unable to see them.

Insect Priest: Empaths are considered great gifts to the Val'Evarus, not least for their healing talents. But beyond that, a special kind of Empath is born to Val'Evarus, which is exceedingly rare. Where as most of the bio-engineered insects and bugs of the clan are able to be commanded as any biogolem can be, it is exceedingly rare for a Val'Evarus to show a talent for controlling empathy that allows them to link up with entire swarms of these bio-golems, as well as more natural insects. Part of the reason the Val'Evarus have hidden their presence until now is these incredible Empaths known as Insect Priests, who act as the sacred guardians of the Clan's cavern. Any unwelcomed intruders who are suspected of hostile intentions are literally devoured by a swarm of kirisue, beetles, spiders, various flying bugs, and several other species of bugs, leaving only nonorganic materials behind to be scavenged away by the sightless.

Drider Knights: One of the few clans to keep to the tradition of honoring Driders and those warriors who elect to undergo the process of becoming a Drider, the Val'Evarus boast a sizable number of Drider Knights, some dating back to the beginnings of the Moonless age. They patrol the caverns, leading contingents of sightless. They often strike out into the wilderness of the underworld, hunting down wild driders (putting them down out of mercy, knowing they'd wish the same for themselves), or rescueing those who have been cast out of the other cities of the underworld and rescuing them from certain madness in the lonely dark of the Underworld. They also serve as an early warning and first line of defense for Val'Evarus, making sure to put the Insect Priests and the other mana-users of the clan in as little danger as possible.

Summoners: Though there are only 3 true summoners left to the clan (though 2 new potentials have been chosen from the mana-using elite), the traditional art of summoning is still maintained within the Val'Evarus (which just goes to show how out of touch they are with the rest of the world). They have about 15 gems containing summonable allies that date back to the moons age, though none of them have been used except in training and the honing of traditional skills.

Bio-golem Swarms: While severly narrow in scope, the Val'Evarus are talented biomancers. They focus on the insects, bugs, and other natural survivors of the chitinous kind within the underworld, re engineering and breeding them to be biogolems and natural servants to the clan, bolstering the ranks of the sightless and providing easy food for the clan. Otherwise, they are used as defenses and mounts for the clan.

Note on Driders: While the fact that they aren't left to the tunnels without companionship or civilization of any sort helps a great deal with the Driders preventing their spider half from taking over, as does the fact that they are quite often accomplishing the goal they were created for and had resigned themselves to the rest of eternity for, it is not always enough. Occasionally the spider does begin to take over, in this case the Insect Priests do their best to subdue it through their empathatic power, but, except in a very few cases, this is just a stop gap. Thus the Driders of Val'Evarus have a ritual where one of their number elects to have himself put down while he still retains his drow mind, these occasions are rare, and usually treated to a festival in that Drider's honor, so that his last memories are good ones.

Changes to be made: Probably buy a good deal of their biomancy needs from the Jaals unless this limited scope (like the creation of driders) doesn't requires Jaal assistance... might alter biogolem swarms to insect priest empathy controlled swarms... I'll need to make up current events and changes over the past 15 years...
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:23 am

So, if we have free time and want to toss up a throw-away entry, will we be permitted to do so?
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby Pitdragon » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:53 am

I'm not sure if many people are focusing on events, so I decided to toss one up. It's open-ended enough to include a contest-winning clan in the mix as part of their rise to power, and shouldn't (I hope) conflict with their clan history. Adjust accordingly to all that, even majorly if it really can conflict with the rising clan!
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby Thalar » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:38 pm

Mh, I tried to answer this thread before and the forum borked. *doh*

DeadPigeonGolem wrote:So, if we have free time and want to toss up a throw-away entry, will we be permitted to do so?

A.. what?

Nielspeterdejong wrote:A question though: After I've finished it, how do I send it to you?

That's mentioned in the first post :)

DeadPigeonGolem wrote:Additionally, would it be appropriate to call our clan members by Val Prefixes? Maria and I had a discussion on this and I assumed that Val Status was dependent on size AND stature, not just one or the other. Thoughts?

Val status is reserved for the Great Clans of Chel. So local Raveran based clans would not use that prefix :)

Durlyn Val'Sarghress wrote:Would a male devess be permitted? Generals? Advisers etc? Just asking before I put any real work into a clan with less strict gender roles in it, like the Sarghress etc. Also, I recall Raveran has some diversity with its races, would it be alright to have vanir/light elves be part of a drow clan? Or do all clans have to be completely drowolath or drowussu?

The Sarghress are almost unique in their use of males in leading positions. So be careful here.

Vanir specifically, no. Light elves? I would advise against it. And the Kyorl'solenurn are strong in Raveran, it would not be advisable to make a drowussu-based clan due to the extensive work required to justify its existence - though a defunct drowussu clan that got swallowed by the Kyorl'solenurn or destroyed by them would be fine. *smallsmile*

Aerisa wrote:Question: What's the size of an average clan? We know from the MA that the Sharen are said to have a force of around 3000 persons, but we don't have much to compare it with.

A Raveran-based clan would be much smaller than that. But there are no real numbers to compare with. Try something 20-200-ish depending on the clan's specifics *hmmm*
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:50 pm

Thalar wrote:Mh, I tried to answer this thread before and the forum borked. *doh*

DeadPigeonGolem wrote:So, if we have free time and want to toss up a throw-away entry, will we be permitted to do so?

A.. what?

DeadPigeonGolem wrote:Additionally, would it be appropriate to call our clan members by Val Prefixes? Maria and I had a discussion on this and I assumed that Val Status was dependent on size AND stature, not just one or the other. Thoughts?

Val status is reserved for the Great Clans of Chel. So local Raveran based clans would not use that prefix :)

1. Rephrase: Can we submit more than one entry in each category? Can we submit to multiple categories?

2. What would be the appropriate term for the leader of of a Raveran based clan?
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

PreviousNext

Return to Roleplay