Clearing up Common Misconceptions

Clearing up Common Misconceptions

Postby blackshade10 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:07 am

Clearing up Common Misconceptions


Drow Sexuality:


Most drow are Bisexual: Those who are not are the sexual deviants.

Drowolath are Polygamous: Yes, though it varies based on social status. Commoners are more inclined to be Monogamous for economic reasons. Nobles are more Polygamous because they can afford to be as such. Exceptions do exist.

Casual sex and Drow: Drowolath are very much into casual sex, especially with their low conception rate. It’s common in all social circles and ranks. Drowussu do have casual sex, however it is not as advertised, and those in a commitment with another are less likely to have casual sex with those they aren’t committed too.

Drow controlling their fertility: Drow cannot control when they are fertile.

Drow Marriage: Drow don’t get married. Not Drowolath and not Drowussu. Drowussu will sometimes have a “commitment” ceremony, but this is NOT marriage. It is more spiritual, and anything more than a couple centuries or so would be incredibly strange and out of the ordinary.

Bastards: Drow don’t have bastard children, ever. It’s incapable in their society as the society is Matriarchal in nature and thus, the father’s blood isn’t thrown into the equation. It’s more than likely a drow will grow up having not known their father, and this is completely normal.

Mana Arts on Non-Fae:


Mana bolts affect non-fae just fine. The only thing that a non-fae would be immune to would be attacks that directly affect the aura, such as demons.

Non-fae seeing harmful mana (mana bolts): Non-fae can see mana that has been built up to harmful amounts. They cannot make out the particular color, however, and the mana buildup appears white.

Additional Notes


Disease: Drow are immune to virtually all diseases while in the sea of mana and/or their aura is not diminishing and is healthy.


Gender roles: Any gender can achieve almost any role or position that they seek, so long as they have the strength, talent, luck, etc. to achieve it. Women have an easier time doing this since they are the dominant gender of society.
User avatar
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon
 
Posts: 6413
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:10 am
Location: Ashie Cleavage, plotting war against those of the Zala cleavage.
Clan: Sullisin'rune

Re: Clearing up Common Misconceptions

Postby Pariel » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:27 am

I would like to differ in the last point. Males are not going to make it to the top ruling positions. They can reach high status, but at most they'd be second in command to a female. Since the seat of power is matriarchal, and further power and inheritance is tracked down by matriarchal lines, even in the less conservative clans. Nor will they become full-fledged summoners. Exceptions to both clauses exist, but they're that. Exceptions.
User avatar
Pariel
Sharen Errand Boy
 
Posts: 4479
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:08 pm
Location: Abandoned
Clan: Sharen

Re: Clearing up Common Misconceptions

Postby blackshade10 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:42 pm

Pariel wrote:I would like to differ in the last point. Males are not going to make it to the top ruling positions. They can reach high status, but at most they'd be second in command to a female. Since the seat of power is matriarchal, and further power and inheritance is tracked down by matriarchal lines, even in the less conservative clans. Nor will they become full-fledged summoners. Exceptions to both clauses exist, but they're that. Exceptions.


Hence the "almost" in the sentence. With the exception of Illharess, a male can reach pretty much any status they desire.
User avatar
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon
 
Posts: 6413
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:10 am
Location: Ashie Cleavage, plotting war against those of the Zala cleavage.
Clan: Sullisin'rune

Re: Clearing up Common Misconceptions

Postby Pariel » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:55 pm

blackshade10 wrote:
Pariel wrote:I would like to differ in the last point. Males are not going to make it to the top ruling positions. They can reach high status, but at most they'd be second in command to a female. Since the seat of power is matriarchal, and further power and inheritance is tracked down by matriarchal lines, even in the less conservative clans. Nor will they become full-fledged summoners. Exceptions to both clauses exist, but they're that. Exceptions.


Hence the "almost" in the sentence. With the exception of Illharess, a male can reach pretty much any status they desire.


De'vess and summoner are considered highly aberrant aswell. By extension, males have a very hard time in institutional politics besides the nominal foothold that they have at orthorbbae (and even that, they're at the mercy of the Headmistress).
User avatar
Pariel
Sharen Errand Boy
 
Posts: 4479
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:08 pm
Location: Abandoned
Clan: Sharen

Re: Clearing up Common Misconceptions

Postby blackshade10 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:15 pm

Pariel wrote:
blackshade10 wrote:
Pariel wrote:I would like to differ in the last point. Males are not going to make it to the top ruling positions. They can reach high status, but at most they'd be second in command to a female. Since the seat of power is matriarchal, and further power and inheritance is tracked down by matriarchal lines, even in the less conservative clans. Nor will they become full-fledged summoners. Exceptions to both clauses exist, but they're that. Exceptions.


Hence the "almost" in the sentence. With the exception of Illharess, a male can reach pretty much any status they desire.


De'vess and summoner are considered highly aberrant aswell. By extension, males have a very hard time in institutional politics besides the nominal foothold that they have at orthorbbae (and even that, they're at the mercy of the Headmistress).


Yes, but not 100% impossible.
User avatar
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon
 
Posts: 6413
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:10 am
Location: Ashie Cleavage, plotting war against those of the Zala cleavage.
Clan: Sullisin'rune

Re: Clearing up Common Misconceptions

Postby Kalandrin » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:24 pm

Nothing is 100 percent impossible. Some things, however, are so difficult that they are unlikely to occur in the role-play.

Males do face a great limitation: they cannot pass down their lineage. Once a bloodline runs out of females, it's a dying one that cannot be rejuvenated except if they somehow turn a male into female (aka. the Jaal'darya path.) A male de'vess or a male ill'har and ill'haress would not be able to have heirs of his own blood, thus unable to form a dynasty. Since most houses are actual family ties, it is exactly why it is extremely rare to find a male leading one; in the cases there is one there is either the extraordinary case (Rosof) or where females have died and there is no other female in the line (such as with some Beldrobbaen houses, according to a podcast.)

So, a male in a position of power cannot expand the House through blood, cannot have heirs, and most of all, can only expand other House's bloodlines. In addition, I recall being directly told that males are not taught summoning, traditional or nether alike. Drowussu templars of the Val'Kyorl'solen'urn, who have sealing knowledge, are just about as far as the thing can apparently go. "Any gender" cannot "become anything." Females are, and will be for as far as we know, the dominant gender of drow society that is physically stronger, monopolises positions of power, and has males in the human-equivalent "mother" role in the household, such as raising the children, for instance, while the woman works; and so forth.
User avatar
Kalandrin
Drider Knight
 
Posts: 1825
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 9:23 am
Location: Greece
Clan: Beldrobbaen

Re: Clearing up Common Misconceptions

Postby blackshade10 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:29 pm

Kalandrin wrote:Nothing is 100 percent impossible. Some things, however, are so difficult that they are unlikely to occur in the role-play.

Males do face a great limitation: they cannot pass down their lineage. Once a bloodline runs out of females, it's a dying one that cannot be rejuvenated except if they somehow turn a male into female (aka. the Jaal'darya path.) A male de'vess or a male ill'har and ill'haress would not be able to have heirs of his own blood, thus unable to form a dynasty. Since most houses are actual family ties, it is exactly why it is extremely rare to find a male leading one; in the cases there is one there is either the extraordinary case (Rosof) or where females have died and there is no other female in the line (such as with some Beldrobbaen houses, according to a podcast.)

So, a male in a position of power cannot expand the House through blood, cannot have heirs, and most of all, can only expand other House's bloodlines. In addition, I recall being directly told that males are not taught summoning, traditional or nether alike. Drowussu templars of the Val'Kyorl'solen'urn, who have sealing knowledge, are just about as far as the thing can apparently go. "Any gender" cannot "become anything." Females are, and will be for as far as we know, the dominant gender of drow society that is physically stronger, monopolises positions of power, and has males in the human-equivalent "mother" role in the household, such as raising the children, for instance, while the woman works; and so forth.


Yes, everything in which I am fully aware of.

If you have a problem with this guide, PM Thalar.
User avatar
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon
 
Posts: 6413
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:10 am
Location: Ashie Cleavage, plotting war against those of the Zala cleavage.
Clan: Sullisin'rune

Re: Clearing up Common Misconceptions

Postby Kalandrin » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:31 pm

I am addressing the matter straight at its thread, and with the person who posted it. I find it more befitting, compared to bugging people over MSN for such trivial disputes.
User avatar
Kalandrin
Drider Knight
 
Posts: 1825
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 9:23 am
Location: Greece
Clan: Beldrobbaen

Re: Clearing up Common Misconceptions

Postby blackshade10 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:34 pm

Kalandrin wrote:I am addressing the matter straight at its thread, and with the person who posted it. I find it more befitting, compared to bugging people over MSN for such trivial disputes.


As Thalar is the one who reviewed this guide for accuracy, you are free to PM the one who determined how accurate it was.
User avatar
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon
 
Posts: 6413
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:10 am
Location: Ashie Cleavage, plotting war against those of the Zala cleavage.
Clan: Sullisin'rune

Re: Clearing up Common Misconceptions

Postby Inquisitor » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:05 pm

I think an exception could be made in the case of an absence of females in the family with a high enough social status to lead; thus one might expect such a responsibility - however taboo would fall to a male with an actual substantial social rank. Though this would more than likely be highly taboo, frowned upon, and not made highly accessible or public knowledge outside the family itself.

One could also assume that, again in the absence of females with high social status, that if the male were to breed an obvious exception could be made for the offspring, obviously with a strong emphasis on supporting any female child of his pairings which would be the primary heir, and the male in question should put a strong emphasis on producing a FEMALE heir to avoid further social and political stigma to his clan - so long as the female he's mating with is of lower social status, most likely a member of the clan itself. ---> Correction on this point. Apparently the child always inherits the status of the female. So my mistake. It stands to reason than that a female would have to be promoted to nobility (in which case the male loses leadership) or the clan must be absorbed, or a female noble must be brought into the clan (in which case the male again loses leadership) in order for the clan's main family to ever expand and grow.

As well it should be noted, that while a male would obviously be looked down on in a leadership role of this nature, I'm certain if he did not try to act like a female, and was wise, well witted, and had a favorable demeanor, people might `tolerate` said individual.

So like Blackshade is trying to get across, it's `possible` but only under more extreme circumstances. Since by default, in a Clan family it would be female nobles that get first `dibs` on leading, they would always ascend in the absence of those higher than them, but in the absence of any female nobles in the Clan itself, there's nothing stopping the male from assuming this role until a female heir is developed.

And no doubt any number of extreme, and exceptionally defined circumstances where it might be possible.
Inquisitor
Nether Seed
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:59 am
Clan: Sullisin'rune

Re: Clearing up Common Misconceptions

Postby Kitab Al'Ibar » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:36 pm

A clan that has lost all of it's female members it would not be recognised as a Clan in Chel.

Each house or subhouse is lead by a Devess and consists of a bloodline. The Devess is the highest ranking female of the bloodline. No male can assume a leading position in the house while a female of the bloodline exists. If all females pf the bloodline are deceased, then some clans may tolerate a male leading a sub house, an example is the Beld if you listen to the pod cast, but those are exceptional circumstances.

If a male leading the sub house produced a child, that child would have the bloodline of the mother, not the father and therefore would not immediately take ownership of the house. So the male led house has 3 options, a gradual decay and death as it's surviving male population slowly die, convincing a female from another sub house or clan to come and take over the house (Familiel pride on the side of either the male or the female and perhaps greed may not allow this), or they may go to the Jaal for gender reassignment, however the Jaal would likely ask more than they can give and other members of the Clan may not tolerate such behaviour and exile or kill the member. The clan in question may not recognise a male led house at all and may force them to disband.

Therefore a male led sub-house should only ever occur in the rarest of circumstances and they would be more or less doomed to gradual decay.

Edit: It is perhaps also worth considering that if the subhouse shared a bloodline with the owner of the clan or another house in the clan, in theory the bloodline should revert back up the generations to the oldest living relative that could trace the bloodline from before the house was created before it would fall to the ownership of a male.
Kitab Al'Ibar
Vel'akar
 
Posts: 1310
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 8:37 pm
Location: Brighton (U.K)

Re: Clearing up Common Misconceptions

Postby Sword Goddess » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:53 pm

My sentiments are in line with Kitab. That does seem to be about the only way you're going to see something like that, and it'd be limited.
Sword Goddess
Demon
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Sillice's womb~
Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Re: Clearing up Common Misconceptions

Postby blackshade10 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:57 pm

A clan that has lost all of it's female members it would not be recognised as a Clan in Chel.


Would most likely not. There is no "would not" but "most likely not".


Each house or subhouse is lead by a Devess and consists of a bloodline. The Devess is the highest ranking female of the bloodline. No male can assume a leading position in the house while a female of the bloodline exists. If all females pf the bloodline are deceased, then some clans may tolerate a male leading a sub house, an example is the Beld if you listen to the pod cast, but those are exceptional circumstances.


More properly, the De'vess would choose a female over the male simply because females are by and by, superior to males. It's more cultural that females are constantly and consistently chosen. They are also chosen for being the superior sex, but as I have said in the very first post: "Any gender can achieve almost any role or position that they seek, so long as they have the strength, talent, luck, etc. to achieve it. Women have an easier time doing this since they are the dominant gender of society." With the exception of the position of Illharess, a male can achieve any rank, position, or power that they strive to get so long as they are worthy of said position, and often enough, MORE worthy than they would have to be than if they were female.



If a male leading the sub house produced a child, that child would have the bloodline of the mother, not the father and therefore would not immediately take ownership of the house. So the male led house has 3 options, a gradual decay and death as it's surviving male population slowly die, convincing a female from another sub house or clan to come and take over the house (Familiel pride on the side of either the male or the female and perhaps greed may not allow this), or they may go to the Jaal for gender reassignment, however the Jaal would likely ask more than they can give and other members of the Clan may not tolerate such behaviour and exile or kill the member. The clan in question may not recognise a male led house at all and may force them to disband.


The fourth option is to still declare themselves a house and attempt to push on, hopefully finding a way to increase their house numbers. They would most likely fail in this route.

Therefore a male led sub-house should only ever occur in the rarest of circumstances and they would be more or less doomed to gradual decay.

Edit: It is perhaps also worth considering that if the subhouse shared a bloodline with the owner of the clan or another house in the clan, in theory the bloodline should revert back up the generations to the oldest living relative that could trace the bloodline from before the house was created before it would fall to the ownership of a male.



Yes, rarest of circumstances. But still possible.


To reinforce what the first post says. Any male or female can achieve almost any position that they earn through talent, strength, skill, luck, etc. Males simply have to work harder for those positions.
User avatar
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon
 
Posts: 6413
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:10 am
Location: Ashie Cleavage, plotting war against those of the Zala cleavage.
Clan: Sullisin'rune

Re: Clearing up Common Misconceptions

Postby Delta Green » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:34 pm

blackshade10 wrote:Bastards: Drow don’t have bastard children, ever. It’s incapable in their society as the society is Matriarchal in nature and thus, the father’s blood isn’t thrown into the equation. It’s more than likely a drow will grow up having not known their father, and this is completely normal.


I'm new here, and I don't know if I have the kind of clout needed to argue a point, but being a bastard doesn't have anything to do with partiarchal or martiarchal lineage. It has to do with legitimacy for estates and inheritances, but as long as your parents aren't married, then you are a bastard child. Seeing as how the Drow don't have marriage per se, then this would make every Drow a bastard according to today's law.

So, far from not having bastards, the Drow are technically entirely made up of bastards. Just saying.
Delta Green
Tik'tikki
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Clearing up Common Misconceptions

Postby blackshade10 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:08 pm

Delta Green wrote:
blackshade10 wrote:Bastards: Drow don’t have bastard children, ever. It’s incapable in their society as the society is Matriarchal in nature and thus, the father’s blood isn’t thrown into the equation. It’s more than likely a drow will grow up having not known their father, and this is completely normal.


I'm new here, and I don't know if I have the kind of clout needed to argue a point, but being a bastard doesn't have anything to do with partiarchal or martiarchal lineage. It has to do with legitimacy for estates and inheritances, but as long as your parents aren't married, then you are a bastard child. Seeing as how the Drow don't have marriage per se, then this would make every Drow a bastard according to today's law.

So, far from not having bastards, the Drow are technically entirely made up of bastards. Just saying.


Except this isn't a human society. Thus, they are not considered bastards.
User avatar
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon
 
Posts: 6413
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:10 am
Location: Ashie Cleavage, plotting war against those of the Zala cleavage.
Clan: Sullisin'rune

Next

Return to Roleplay

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron