God-modding, and Its Many Forms

God-modding, and Its Many Forms

Postby blackshade10 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:56 am

I believe that a treatise on the many fashions and forms of god-modding would be quite useful to new and older Roleplayers alike, and went ahead and made this thread. The following are all forms of god-modding, or things you shouldn't do!

Controlling Other Characters

Automatically hitting: This is an obvious one. Don't hit them automatically.
    Preventing actions: Automatically stopping them from drawing a weapon or an item is also god-modding. Like most categories, this can be done in various ways.
    Automatically touching: Touch is a fickle term due to it's lightness, but just like hitting, touching them is also god-modding in a sense. The touching of a shoulder or hand would be excessive if you called god-modding on it, but some do find it vexing. The grabbing of a person, like a shoulder and not letting them go, is considered god-modding however. There are many ways to god-mod this way, and it's often best to PM someone and ask them rather than assume it's alright by them.

Alternatives:

Automatically hitting: Instead of just hitting your opponent, instead make it an attempt to hit them. "Baerock makes a hard slice at Erie's left leg". That is a good alternative rather than simply hitting.
    Preventing Actions: Like automatically hitting, make an attempt. Reach forward to grab the hilt of their sword and allow the character a chance to counter your action.
    Automatically touching: While this one seems to be the most fickle, this is also the easiest to avoid. Once again, you should use the attempt approach. "Baerock reached a hand forward to caress her face" is a lot better than just simply doing it. In reply, a RPer can simply proceed with Barock caressing her face: You don't need to accept the action, you can simply allow it to succeed and use it as part of your RP post.

Impossible Knowledge

Being aware of things you should not: I've seen this one crop up quite a bit, often under the guise of a "guess". Your character should not be aware of something they did not experience or heard about, and the move of just having "guessed correctly" is very annoying to a great deal of players, and, of course, is god-modding.

Predicting certain things: A player should never predict something for unfounded or unrealistic reasons. To look at someone and immediately guess their fighting style, is like looking at someone and guessing their favorite food while they walk down the street. It's not realistic and it only serves to make your character more powerful and take away another players character element unfairly. This is connected to the first of this list, but is something that must be specified for knowing sake.

Knowing Names: This is a simple one. Unless your characters already know each other, you don't know the name of the players character unless you somehow overhear it. Just something to remember.

Alternatives:

Being aware of things you should not: This is a tricky one. The best route to go for this is to simply have your character learn. If the fellow player mentioned their character is flustered, than ask them without making any hint at knowing or guessing to what could have happened. If they choose to deny you, then it's simply something your character does not know.

Predicting certain things: Have your characters learn over time, not simply have some kind of foresight into the matter. If it's fighting styles, like the example, have them learn from fighting them or watching them fight. But don't allow a short fight to merely give you clairvoyant insight to their battle tactics; every fight is different and you need to study a person for a long time to catch on to it all.

Knowing names: Ask their name. Quite simple!

DM Controlled Characters or Events

NPC's:In a Free-form RP Forum, you don't have as many DM or GM runned threads, but they do exist, and as such, you should respect the GM by not creating or controlling NPC's without their permission. If a NPC is alluded to you in a GM controlled thread, but not having spoken or come close to your character, it is in good respect that you not create any details or origins or anything else without their permission. They likely had a reason for creating these NPC's.

Event's: The GM might create events that happen in their thread, and like NPC's, it's best to not change them to your wishes, since there are other players in that thread, and it's the GM's job to control the happenings in the thread. Similarly, don't create an event without your GM's permission, it could interfere with the GM's plot, and it also simply disrespects the GM.

Alternatives:

This section can be put under one single catch-all alternative: PM your GM!

This is but a short list of the many things you should avoid while Rping, simply out of respect for your fellow roleplayer. I thank you for your time for reading! Happy Roleplaying.
Last edited by blackshade10 on Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:01 pm, edited 7 times in total.
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Location: Ashie Cleavage, plotting war against those of the Zala cleavage.
Clan: Sullisin'rune

Re: God-modding, and It's Many Forms

Postby Ninestorms » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:23 am

This is a good list, should be sticky in my opinion.
You might want to add Avoiding Everything, i suppose its the reverse of automatically hitting, where one dodges, blocks, ducks or otherwise is immune to every attack. Its annoying when your character who is supposed to be a good fighter can't even land a glancing blow. But its best to talk to pm someone before getting into a fight with their character anyways.
Ninestorms
Nether Seed

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Re: God-modding, and It's Many Forms

Postby blackshade10 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:30 am

Ninestorms wrote:This is a good list, should be sticky in my opinion.
You might want to add Avoiding Everything, i suppose its the reverse of automatically hitting, where one dodges, blocks, ducks or otherwise is immune to every attack. Its annoying when your character who is supposed to be a good fighter can't even land a glancing blow. But its best to talk to pm someone before getting into a fight with their character anyways.

Indeed! I planned to make a thread on Power-playing to, but I think I might just make a seperate section later tomorrow.

Thank you for reading! :D

EDIT: I also plan on making a thread on RP fights, so look forward to that. ;)
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Re: God-modding, and Its Many Forms

Postby blackshade10 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:53 pm

Updated it with Alternative! :D

Still thinking on the next bits. ;)
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby waffleferret » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:35 am

I like the list 'sept one thing about the hiting thingy what happens if you put "atempts to hit" then the other person puts "attempts to dodge" then how gets the point? or if the person is in a position where it is pretty much realisticly imposible to dodge like they are sleeping after being badly hurt or something then do you have the right away to punch then or do you still have to say try ? Is thier any rules made to stop to people from working the same play for a really long time on a roleplay where they both dodge and atempt hitting for along time while useing cleaver ways to keep it going for an umsemly long time ?

...this may seems like something simple but im not much of a roleplayer my self and i have seen some really drawn out fights before in a few i have read
waffleferret
Vel'akar

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby blackshade10 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:42 am

waffleferret wrote:I like the list 'sept one thing about the hiting thingy what happens if you put "atempts to hit" then the other person puts "attempts to dodge" then how gets the point? or if the person is in a position where it is pretty much realisticly imposible to dodge like they are sleeping after being badly hurt or something then do you have the right away to punch then or do you still have to say try ? Is thier any rules made to stop to people from working the same play for a really long time on a roleplay where they both dodge and atempt hitting for along time while useing cleaver ways to keep it going for an umsemly long time ?

...this may seems like something simple but im not much of a roleplayer my self and i have seen some really drawn out fights before in a few i have read

Always dodging is also god-modding. One does not "attempt to dodge" however. Dodging is left up to the player of the character, and they choose whether the attack hits them or not. It's usually good etiqutte to decide a fight in PM's, before hand.

I will be making a thread on RP combat soon, so look forward to that one. :)
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby waffleferret » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:20 am

thanks blackshade :w ! I think i get what you ment now
waffleferret
Vel'akar

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Durlyn Val'Sarghress » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:04 pm

This all sounds good in theory Blackshade, but things rarely goes that well between players in the actual games, especially when the personalities of characters who are very stubborn or very different from eachother clash...things can get ugly from there on. Every player is guilty of this at least once, inflexibility and conflicting personalities can put a serious damper on the fun of the game...No body wants to play the fool but we can't always come out on top either.
Durlyn Val'Sarghress
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby blackshade10 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:06 pm

Durlyn Val'Sarghress wrote:This all sounds good in theory Blackshade, but things rarely goes that well between players in the actual games, especially when the personalities of characters who are very stubborn or very different from eachother clash...things can get ugly from there on. Every player is guilty of this at least once, inflexibility and conflicting personalities can put a serious damper on the fun of the game...No body wants to play the fool but we can't always come out on top either.

Yes, that's the purpose of this guide, Durlyn. To help avoid such things.
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Durlyn Val'Sarghress » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:08 pm

and what if said players cannot resolve their difference by following these said rules? I doubt they cover everything ^^;
Durlyn Val'Sarghress
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby blackshade10 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:09 pm

Durlyn Val'Sarghress wrote:and what if said players cannot resolve their difference by following these said rules? I doubt they cover everything ^^;

Then that's something for them to decide in a civil manner.
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Kalandrin » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:51 am

Durlyn Val'Sarghress wrote:This all sounds good in theory Blackshade, but things rarely goes that well between players in the actual games, especially when the personalities of characters who are very stubborn or very different from eachother clash...things can get ugly from there on. Every player is guilty of this at least once, inflexibility and conflicting personalities can put a serious damper on the fun of the game...No body wants to play the fool but we can't always come out on top either.

I disagree.

I am taking part in character- and nation-based forum role-plays since January 2004. I am soon completing my sixth year in on-line role-playing and perhaps third or fourth in pen-and-paper role-playing (I am an active Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition dungeon master and player, with experience in Revised 3rd Edition as well.) In my years of experience I have found that the only thing that can bring the aforementioned perpetual clash is player immaturity and inexperience (no offence meant to anybody, I am just putting this as bluntly as I can at the moment.)

Immaturity because the player doesn't enjoy seeing his or her character disadvantaged, even at words. Inexperience because the player lacks practical experience in such things.

I have role-played actual battles between player characters in free-form style, and even wars between entire nations. It is recommended that players decide the outcome of such things prior to it being completed or even beginning; this "choreography" assists qualitative role-play and discourages pointless bickering.

As blackshade said, if players cannot resolve their differences as above, it's up to them to decide what happens in a civil manner. If they cannot, they should quit role-playing with each other (or completely, depending on how much of a mess and a ruckus they have just caused) as soon as possible, "effective immediately" like some sudden presidential decree or something.

And let me clarify why I disagree with your statement, Durlyn; character personalities are subject to player personalities and player control. While stubbornness can be a factor, it is hardly decisive and can be easily controlled by players.

With that: blackshade, I like your guide even though it is still lacking. I am interested in "play-testing" this, if I had another volunteer. What I mean is an actual battle between Drowtales player characters; I am going to field my juggernaut Kalandrin, an about three centuries old drider knight, and I would like to see her fighting someone of equal experience and capability, but with a different, clashing personality and equal stubbornness. This promises for an interesting play-test of the above as well as how to advance things with or without choreography, and show players how to do the big bad thing when the time comes :P
Kalandrin
Drider Knight

Postby Durlyn Val'Sarghress » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:40 pm

I'm sure you have plenty of experience Kalandrin, but trust me, its not always that easy to resolve matters and sometimes people just don't follow the rules. I agree that solving the problem as civil as possible is the right way to go however.
Durlyn Val'Sarghress
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Kalandrin » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:02 pm

I've had many first-hand experiences of what you say, Durlyn, and this is why I posted the above. If people consciously disobey the rules, they should be consciously and knowingly signing themselves up for punishment.
Kalandrin
Drider Knight

Postby grfu » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:07 am

But where do you draw the line, Kelandrin? This rp style is fine for basic interaction like conversation and perhaps even relationships, but it does not lend itself well to combat at all and leads to nothing getting resolved. Suppose my drider knight, with at least 120 years of combat experience under his belt faces off against the 30 year old green-horn. Why should my drider knight attempt anything? He would have that little kid run through in seconds, without even breaking a sweat. In the end, it seems that the ffrpg has fallen into basically a battle of attrition, the winner being the one who can write the bigger wall of text.

TLDR: This rp style doesn't work like it should. Giant walls of text is not roleplay.
grfu
Vel'akar

Clan: Illhar'dro

Next

Return to Roleplay