Wiki Projects and Progress Journal

Wiki Projects and Progress Journal

Postby Jak'iaah » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:29 pm

As the observant among you have probably noticed, there are a bunch of changes going on over on the wiki. As only the super meticulous stalker people among you would ever find, there's also a lot going on beyond what's published on the main page.

In wiki spirit, it's stupid to keep what we're doing out of public view. The wiki is for the community, and you all should absolutely be a part of the process. I'll be updating the projects I am personally working on in this big post, but the other wiki people are likely to chime in at some point too.

And as always - I want to hear your ideas for improving the wiki! If you've got anything at all to say about the wiki and the direction it's going in, you'd be doing us a favor by speaking up. :]

JAK IS WORKING ON (in no particular order):

Event Pages
    Examples: The Vel'Sharen Coup d'État, Journey to the Old World, Chrys'tel's Quest for Truth

One of the things we realized would be helpful for character page writing is to have the major plot points of MA detailed in their own dedicated articles. There's an informal working list of events we want to make pages for here, but they aren't set in stone and could probably use more eyes.

--> Current status: Format complete(?), examples written, guide page created
    --> Wanted Feedback: page format suggestions, what should go on the event list

Chapter Pages
    Examples: Chapter 1 - Daughters of Sarghress

Hooray! Chapter summaries and character/location/event lists for each chapter of MA. The sidestories will eventually get dedicated pages too. Eventually that little "Appears In: # # #" bar on the top of every character page will link to these pages for reference.

This is just a prototype for now. Much feedback appreciated!

--> Current status: Chapter 1 complete, Page template/format complete, Chapter 2-12 skeletons online
    --> Wanted Feedback: page format, other features that would be helpful for chapter reference

Contributor Page Guidelines
    Examples: Help:Character Page, Help:Location Page, Help:Event Page, Coding and Template Cheat Sheet

These pages are supposed to make it easier for new editors (like yourselves, when we eventually open the wiki up to the public) to write pages that conform to the existing format. The idea is to give people who don't know how to use wiki language the tools to create a page that looks awesome, provides the content in the correct way, and makes full use of all the awesome wiki features (like navboxes, infoboxes, and other templates) without requiring an intimate knowledge of the code gibberish that makes it work.

I have experience with wiki code, so I have no idea how overwhelming these pages are. They feel clunky, and I really do want them to be as useful and intuitive as possible. These are the pages I'd most like feedback on from people who would be interested in wiki editing but are (justifiably) scared of the code.

--> Current status: Need some heavy updating
    --> Wanted Feedback: ease of use, other things worth adding to the cheat sheet

Mana Arts Pages
    Examples: Sorcery

So Soilborn wrote this fantastic Mana Arts page in mid-2012 that explains the gist of each branch of "magic" in the comic. However, from watching forum debate, we thought it would be helpful to have more detailed pages that speak to some of the most popular misconceptions - like empathy being a sorcery affinity, or what an affinity actually means in the first place.

Thus began the Sorcery page. I also plan to make up a High Sorcery page that lists all the known high sorceries and what they have been shown to do, and from there perhaps empathy/spellsong/basic mana arts pages as well.

--> Current status: Sorcery done, High Sorcery not yet started
    --> Wanted Feedback: any other useful pages or information lists in this vein, other unanswered questions we can try our best to find canon answers for

Future Stuff:
- Master timeline of events (the current one is really hard to read and is not easy to update)
- Move all DD, RH, and PtP pages to their own unique namespaces to keep them clearly separate from canon MA pages DONE!
- Figure out what to do with those pages once they're moved, haha
- Revise/delete all the old worldsetting and legion pages
- HEAVILY edit all those pages we've been churning out - we need quality control like whoa at this point
Last edited by Jak'iaah on Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jak'iaah
Summoner

Clan: Sarghress

Re: Wiki Projects and Progress Journal

Postby Jak'iaah » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:45 pm

Completed:

Character Index Revamp - New main character page that's linked from the main page and sidebar. (thank you Shoedrinker!)

Chapter Page Format - Chapter 1 written, page guidelines established, and chapter index page created.
Last edited by Jak'iaah on Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jak'iaah
Summoner

Postby Jak'iaah » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:32 pm

Update:

I've been crazy busy in the real world. Augh. Here's some wiki stuff that managed to happen anyway:

- Cameo list updated. I'll put up the extras later.
    - Chapter pages are starting to come along nicely, and Embair made some nice navigation tools for browsing them!
    - We made a massive help index to show what needs to be done. If you're interested in helping with this stuff, let us know!
    - Chapter page template/guidelines are up. They look kind of gross though, so I'll probably refine that later.

Also we added the "race" attribute to character pages, so now you can, say, look up all the Ver'drowendar (tainted) or Drowussu characters in one place. They're slowly being updated as we update character pages, so we know there are probably a bunch missing. Here's the index for those categories. :)

Feedback, as always, is loved. <3

EDIT: I guess I can also plug the SWANKY USER PAGES that Embair, Alric and myself now have to keep track of our doings.
Jak'iaah
Summoner

Postby Shoedrinker » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:23 pm

Jak'iaah wrote:If you're interested in helping with this stuff, let us know!

Well... I am interested. To see to that, correct pixelated images, source information and make sure it is factual.

EDIT: The Help Index returns me an internal error. As does the chapter and character template pages.

Code: Select all
Set $wgShowExceptionDetails = true; at the bottom of LocalSettings.php to show detailed debugging information.
Shoedrinker
Summoner

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Dalvyserran » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:05 pm

It's an error I've been getting for a couple days. Some of the character pages get this error too.

trying to submit some stuff... getting annoying
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Jak'iaah » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:43 pm

AKGHskjdhfksdf. RL professional stuff has been taking all my time recently. I'm not abandoning ship, just.... cruising ridiculously slowly. Now -

Shoedrinker wrote:
Jak'iaah wrote:If you're interested in helping with this stuff, let us know!

Well... I am interested. To see to that, correct pixelated images, source information and make sure it is factual.

EDIT: The Help Index returns me an internal error. As does the chapter and character template pages.

Code: Select all
Set $wgShowExceptionDetails = true; at the bottom of LocalSettings.php to show detailed debugging information.

Ooooo I'd LOVE an obsessive factchecker/sourcer on board. I'll check with Kern and see what I can do. If you're still interested, that is. :]

As for the errors you and Dalv were experiencing - is this still a problem? I'm not getting them, but with a month-old problem, Embair might have already magicked it away.
Jak'iaah
Summoner

Postby Dalvyserran » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:49 pm

Embair took care of it, yeah.
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Shoedrinker » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:09 am

Jak'iaah wrote:Ooooo I'd LOVE an obsessive factchecker/sourcer on board. I'll check with Kern and see what I can do. If you're still interested, that is. :]

I would be glad. :)
Shoedrinker
Summoner

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Jak'iaah » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:48 pm

A few more updates:

- Bast and Dalv overhauled the glossary (YESSSSS)
    - Embair made this nice chapter listing that I forgot to post: MA Story
    - Embair also made this fantastic index of all the pages we've got floating around: Moonless Age Index

Also! The team has expanded recently (and not-so-recently, but I don't think anyone ever brought it up :P). We've now got Njack, Bast and Shoedrinker on board to hopefully speed things up. :)

And most importantly, we're trying to tackle this lag issue we're having. We'd love a bit of help from everyone on this, so please check out this thread if you haven't already: WIKI LAG - A COMMUNITY CALL FOR HELP!
Jak'iaah
Summoner

Postby TheFinalFan » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:36 pm

One little note I discovered.
The wikia lists the Emberi as a race of goblins, but they look to be human. Are humans and goblins related in this world, or is this some sort of mixup? I think that could use some clarification.
TheFinalFan
Tainted

Postby Ash'arion » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:37 pm

In this world, humans are goblins.
Ash'arion
Vel'akar

Postby Jak'iaah » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:46 pm

Ash'arion wrote:In this world, humans are goblins.

Yep. The term "goblin" actually refers to a collection of non-fae races - including the humans. :)
Jak'iaah
Summoner

Postby TheFinalFan » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:51 pm

Thanks. It was a bit confusing.
TheFinalFan
Tainted

Postby H'K'Maly » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:21 pm

Jak'iaah wrote:
Ash'arion wrote:In this world, humans are goblins.

Yep. The term "goblin" actually refers to a collection of non-fae races - including the humans. :)

More like the drowtales term "goblin" actually refers to a collection of non-fae races - including what we call humans. Drows (and possibly goblins as well) have no equivalent of word "human", because "goblin" is wider and "emberi" is narrower.

Jak'iaah wrote: --> Wanted Feedback: any other useful pages or information lists in this vein, other unanswered questions we can try our best to find canon answers for

Summoning should also get it's own page. It should include nether summoning and refer demons page. It should also include this answers. And all mana arts should have some links to examples added, just like sorceries have.

(I suppose it's obvious, but noone mentioned it yet, so ...).
H'K'Maly
Vel'akar

Postby Jak'iaah » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:35 pm

HK - Yep, that's on the list. The huge list. This is just the small list that I've been chipping away at. Augh. D:

As a quick update - I've been crazy real life busy, but I've recently started focusing mostly on the Contributor's Handbook, a sort of how-to guide for any potential editors. I want to get this thing open to the public, but that's not going to happen until the guides are all actually in place.
Jak'iaah
Summoner

Return to Wiki Submissions and Updates