Glossary - taking suggestions

Glossary - taking suggestions

Postby Thalar » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:10 pm

I am putting up a small glossary on the wiki, which should contain words such as Ilharess and dooter, and explain what they mean.

What I'd like from you all are suggestions for words to include.

You can find the Glossary here: http://www.drowtales.com/~wiki/index.php/Glossary
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby Runes » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:28 pm

You could include the term 'Faern'.

There's also this page - http://www.drowtales.com/~wiki/index.php/Races with all the names of the races

There's also this thread - http://www.drowtales.com/drowforums/vie ... ght=devess
which explains the term De'vess which Jer'kol used in chapter 12.

I believe the terms for summoning like Soulmir, Elendlar, Velnar are already explained in the Mana Arts page about the summoning.

Or do you want to have all the terms on one page together?
Last edited by Runes on Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Runes
Strawberry Ninja

Clan: Sharen

Postby Thalar » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:55 pm

I think it would be nice to have all the terms on one page - the ones which get separate mention would only have a short description of the actual term, with a link to where they are explained in full.

So for example.. In the Glossary, Elendlar would be "the ancient art of summoning, further explained here:" and then a link to the Traditional Summoning part of the Mana Arts page.
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Postby Runes » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:06 pm

Well in that case, linking the races from the Glossary page is a good idea. Same for the terms on the mana arts page. You can also include the animals from the bestiary. :)
Runes
Strawberry Ninja

Postby Thalar » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:17 pm

Good suggestions right there, thanks =)
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Postby Robert_Frazer » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:28 pm

The Glossary has expanded significantly, so there doesn't immediately appear to be a great deal that needs to be added, but for anyone who may be in a more vituperative mood, I thought that I'd furnish the new page with a few short entries on Drow cursing and profanity that have barbed and envenomed the odd line over the course of the comic.

-Arkanth - term of abuse, translating as 'vermin', 'scum' and similar denigrations of status.

-Drowhiir - a variant of "drowussu", in that it is a specifically abusive and derogatory way of referring to the light-skinned drow. To appreciate the difference in emphasis between 'drowhiir' and 'drowussu', consider what humans imply by 'nigger' and 'black' respectively.

-Gambhik - lit. "dirty beggar", this is a term of abuse oriented about decrying the object as being of miserable status, vulgar and contemptible - 'wretch' is an alternative translation.

-Lothranvith - term of abuse. A human equivalent would be 'whore', although as the concept of prostitution does not exist in drow society this comparison only conveys the general mood and context in which it is spoken rather than a precise meaning. A lothranvith would be seen as untrustworthy, a foul lout from the most rancid dregs of society who offers her loyalty to someone cheaply (or 'whores herself out') through no more than a bestial instinct for self-preservation.

-Ranvith - as 'lothranvith', except without the additional implication that the object is demeaned by low class and condition.

--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------

Also, I'd suggest an addtion to the entry on Tainted, in light of Snadhya'runes' own meditation on the word in The Longest Wait: "...Many of the Tainted, though, defiantly wear the term as a badge of honour, revelling in the word's additional implication that they daringly and boldly cross constraining boundaries."

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

For the sake of completeness, I'll round off the post here with the individual components of the insults that The Longest Wait's footnotes explained:

-Ar'shola - n., spider.

-Bhik - n., beggar.

-Gam - adj., dirty.

-Kanth - n., insect.

-Loth - n., city (for example, see "Chel'el'sussoloth").

-Ran - v., to sell.

-Vith - n. (archaic), woman.
Last edited by Robert_Frazer on Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert_Frazer
Demon

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Thalar » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:14 pm

I agree, the whole thing about the tainted not really minding the word was something I was looking to add, but couldn't come up with a good formulation for at 3am last night :)
As for the curse words, I'll definately add Drowhiir since that comes up every now and then, but I am reluctant to add any of the others, since they only come up in a side story. If they have indeed shown up in the main story, however, I'll be happy to add them, I just can't remember seeing them.
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Postby Kail'odian » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:51 pm

The term Clan is not there yet. I figured if subhouses are there, might as well have one for 'clan' too. :3
Kail'odian
Vel'akar

Re: Glossary - taking suggestions

Postby Meekachu » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:20 pm

What about templar, warden, etc. sort of a quick defintion and a link to the specifics?

Feral and Nagi?
Meekachu
Summoner

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Thalar » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:26 pm

Hmm.. Yes, that's probably a good idea since those terms show up quite a lot. :)
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Postby Meekachu » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:16 am

:)

spidersilk

living dolls

RP terms
Meekachu
Summoner

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Twelveseal » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:10 am

Maybe bulleted links with short descriptions, such as listing Vel'sharen under Clan, then listing relevant character entry links under that. Might make remembering who's who a little easier.
Twelveseal
Tainted

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby Thalar » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:16 am

Twelveseal wrote:Maybe bulleted links with short descriptions, such as listing Vel'sharen under Clan, then listing relevant character entry links under that. Might make remembering who's who a little easier.

A list of clan members can be found on each clan's individual pages.
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Postby Durlyn Val'Sarghress » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:59 pm

How about a definition for a male De'Vess? If there is a specific word for it since I know how rare they are...Or maybe definitions for specific types of demons like Discordia and the glutton demon who killed off all of Naal'Sul's sisters and cousins?
Durlyn Val'Sarghress
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Thalar » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:31 pm

As far as we know there is no word for a male De'vess, just like there's no word for a female President.

And the demon types we know of are catalogued in the http://www.drowtales.com/~wiki/index.php/Demons page, and this is linked to from both the Ver'aku and Vel'akar entries, as well as the Demon entry. The specific types of demons have not been used so often that they warrant a specific entry in the http://www.drowtales.com/~wiki/index.php/Glossary glossary list just yet.
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Next

Return to Wiki Submissions and Updates