Glossary - taking suggestions

Re: Glossary - taking suggestions

Postby Durlyn Val'Sarghress » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:26 pm

I knew yathrine was not canon anymore, but I thought faern was still canon and that it was the drow word for sorceror/sorceress...
Durlyn Val'Sarghress
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Thalar » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:32 pm

Faern is a word that is refusing to die out, that's more or less it. It's more deeply rooted in the community, but as far as I'm aware it is as incorrect as Yathrine these days.
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby Durlyn Val'Sarghress » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:52 pm

Thanks for telling me Thalar, I've been using it I'm embarrassed to say. But I think its still in the wiki glossary and has appeared in the main story a few times...So a fae sorcerer is just called a sorcerer then? Or is there some other special term for it?
Durlyn Val'Sarghress
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Kitsune no arashi » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:10 pm

Meh, it works better in written fanfics to ad faern or *___* mage every now and then than repeatedly saying kel'noz or whatever teachers name constantly comes up. continued cannon or not i'm not writing shared world fiction so it doesn't all need to be accurate. ^^;
Kitsune no arashi
Demon

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Thalar » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:04 pm

Yeah I think the reason the word keeps showing up is that the community is having a hard time finding a good replacement word that encompasses the same things as Faern did. It was in the glossary up to September 1st of this year btw, so that's why you've seen it there :)
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby Durlyn Val'Sarghress » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:24 am

How does Kern invent the names for all the drow clans and characters? Are they based on the old D & D drow languages or does he simply think up some good, totally made up names and gives them a special meaning? For example, in the old D & D settings Do'urden means "Walkers in the darkness," but do names like Sarghress or Vloz'ress mean anything? Same question for drow character names, we have guys with names like Kormaril and Kelnoz but also have normal sounding names like Ariel.

P.S. if the community has not thought up a new replacement word for faern (which I think originally meant wizard/scholar), may I try to think up a few suggestions? or is that totally up to Kern and his staff? Its cool if it is, just thought I'd ask.
Durlyn Val'Sarghress
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Thaluka2 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:03 am

Kelnozz is from D&D, it's a minor character in one of the Drizzt books I believe. Probably harder to exorcise the name since it's a major character.
Thaluka2
Vel'akar

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Lt Anders » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:18 pm

Lt Anders
Vel'akar

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Thaluka2 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:14 pm

I didn't know there was a comic, but he's definently in the book as well. ^^;
Thaluka2
Vel'akar

Postby Lt Anders » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:07 pm

Thaluka2 wrote:I didn't know there was a comic, but he's definently in the book as well. ^^;

The comic is the book, just illustrated.
Lt Anders
Vel'akar

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Thaluka2 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:02 pm

The last one I read was Drizzt killing like a million orcs on the cover. There's been several released since then but I have not been readin Forgotten Realms novels since I got ahold of R.R. Martin and some better more mature fantasy writers.
Thaluka2
Vel'akar

Postby Durlyn Val'Sarghress » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:09 am

Those novels and comics sound incredible, I'll be sure to check them out when i get the chance! *wee*

However, does anyone know for certain how Kern names his characters? I get that Kelnoz is a name found in the D & D books but how about quain'tana and the clan names? Does anyone know where i can go to learn drow talk so i can make up better character names?

Also...Can the forumn suggest ideas for a replacement word for Faern? Though I do believe the word does pop up at least once in the DT manga (Ariel mentions in chpt one that Kelnoz is the most powerful Faern in the entire Val'Sarghress Clan...Which makes me want to see Kelnoz in action that much sooner so we can all see what the Merc Queen's top magic user can do, *wee* *lol* ).

P.S. if there exists no place where one can go to learn the meaning behind drow names and words might I suggest we make one in the glossary so people can go there to make up more world setting appropriate names?
Durlyn Val'Sarghress
Dark Chibi Demon

Previous

Return to Wiki Submissions and Updates