Orthorbbae Athenaeum - DrowWiki Contributions (READ FIRST!)

Orthorbbae Athenaeum - DrowWiki Contributions (READ FIRST!)

Postby Kern » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:13 pm

Everything related to the world setting of Drowtales that have been officialy approve as canon will be put in the Wiki "The Orthorbbae Athenaeum" or for everybody else that like shorter term; the "DrowWiki".

Medea and Thalar are the two moderator of this project, so to gain access as editor to the wiki, you must offer your service here in this thread. Medea and Thalar will review your application.
Note that only a few people may be allowed in to keep things from going crazy. So only those with a long experience on drowtales and the will to discuss things in team may get in.

For the others. You can always create threads and discuss matters about the world setting and the result of the discussion may be posted in the drowwiki.
http://www.drowtales.com/wiki/
Kern
Yan Gagne

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Madea » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:34 pm

(In response to some questions, I've edited some of this post for clarity.)

Greetings!
Welcome to the Orthorbbae Athenaeum, Questions and World Setting page! With the wiki going live, we've been posed with the issue of how to expand the staff without losing control of the project; this is the solution.

This forum is now going to be the place where, in addition to those individuals asking questions, the entire DT community can participate in filling out and making the DrowWiki reach its highest potential. Since everyone has different perspectives, someone might notices something that someone else missed.

To this end, every member is openly allowed to post in this forum any additions, corrections, changes, fixes, etc. that they think should go onto the Wiki. There are, however, rules and guidelines that go with this.

Teh Rules:
1 - Be prepared to defend your post!
----- This is a no-brainer; not everything you put up here is going to just be put in. The Wiki is a vast resource that's going to get exponentially larger now that everyone can see it, and we have to deal with conflicts as they arise. Cite referances and sources for your submission, because we have to challenge things that are inaccurate and verify if there's a lack of clarity on something.

2 - Be polite!
----- This *should* be a no-brainer. Everyone is human, as much as we wish we were otherwise, and we make mistakes. Sometimes a lot of them. In the course of writing a lot of text, there are going to be errors. If you spot one, feel free to point it out, but don't be a jerk about it.

3 - Be unbiased!

----- The Athenaeum is meant to be as unbiased as possible, and is somewhat in-character; but regardless of the perspective of the information, it *must* strive to be neutral and not opinionated.

4 - Be as thorough as possible!

----- Do your research! If you think a new page needs to be added, then you need to propose it with the text you think needs to be there. Saying "I think you guys need to put up X page!" does not help; give us something to work with!

Teh Procedure:
1 - Any threads that involve changes to the drowwiki must have "DrowWiki:" (without the quotations) in the subject line so that we know what the purpose is, followed by the Wiki page that you are proposing the change to (the main page would be Main_Page, etc.), and probably adding something at the end to let us know what kind of submission it is (Edit, Spelling, Graphic, New, etc.)

Example: DrowWiki: Main_Page (Addition)

Anything that does not have this subject line format will be considered a world setting question and disregarded for Wiki purposes.

2 - Put up your post!

In addition to this board, as the project gets larger, more people will be allowed to join the Athenaeum staff and gain edit access to the wiki to help keep it updated and accurate.

I'm going to state clearly, here, that no one is going to be accepted just by turning in an application without putting in some work first. If you post some edits, new pages, and changes on this board, in accordance with the guidelines discussed above, and you produce quality work, then an application will be considered.

We have to see your commitment beforehand, so that hopefully we'll have a better idea what/how you'll do once you actually get edit access. That being said, I'll explain the application process in further detail.

Teh Application Process
Now, I'm sure there are lots of questions about becoming an Editor; this is a hefty responsibility and the reason this filter is in place is to prevent people from trashing the Wiki.

The first step of the Editor Application process is being active on this board, and by active, we mean submitting material to be added to the Wiki; new pages, edits, and observations with counter-references. If you don't post up here, then we have nothing to gauge your activity and mentality with. If you're active, and polite, and knowledgeable and all that good rot, then you're on your way.

The other requirements are more tenebrous. A solid grasp of English spelling and grammar is needed, as is a working knowledge of the Wiki codes. If you are unfamiliar with how a wiki works, then you should head over the wikipedia.org and look up the mediawiki guidlines. You should also be able to play well with others; if someone gives us nothing but trouble, even the most brilliant wiki pages aren't going to be able to help.

Another requirement is time! Taking someone onto the team means work. Of course allowances are made for life; we all have responsibilities (I'm active duty military, myself, so I have lots of things to do). But we're volunteering to do this out of our love for the project. If you don't have the time, there's nothing wrong with just providing information on the board. In fact, we appreciate those contributions just as much!

Once you think you're in a good spot to join, a short application in this thread with just some background information (how long you've been reading DT, etc.) and why you think you should be an editor will be the final step. If you have any questions, feel free to PM either Thalar or myself.

Wiki on, DT! Wiki on!
Last edited by Madea on Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Madea
Pineapple Warmaster

Location: In EVA above Green Ball, surrounded by Space Kitties!
Clan: Sharen

Postby Starsickle » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:52 am

Hi! I'm starsickle.

I've been reading the boards since probably...I think...I joined the forums later on after I started reading. So I think it was chapter 8 or something...I honestly can't remember.

I've been pretty active on these boards, as I love the setting and story. And I have written various fics that are heavily based in lore. (with some exceptions, where I warp things or sometimes step outside the center of the setting to fill in color that ended someplace because of the limitations of moonless age's storyboard)

Diplomacy with Empaths

Reading The Ice queen

Letter to Zala'less

There's been tons others, spread out in Chat throughout the years.

I also seem to be very active in this very subforum. Take a look at my posts on The Drow Economy, Politics and magic, along with the occasional allusion to the Demon Situation in the city. I'm a veritable Aristotle here.

I don't tend to touch what I don't know, or can't grasp as far as lore is concerned, though it's true I like to pick up and carry inertia - in this regard, you can count on me to give many details to something that needs to be described.

I selfishly take full credit for the bias rule. As those who know me know, I'm a very outspoken person, and as a Member of the Val'Sarghress, I usually take cheap jabs at others. I think the opinions of the clans matter. but I promise not to be overly outspoken towards some of the more...problematic things and peoples in the DT world.

I am A+ certified by COMPTIA, a basic industry standard for hardware techs, and I'm looking for work in Information/data Security, and Information Technology, and I've had previous writing experience in the past for 2 Certain websites, along with administrative and competitive experience in 3 teams over 5 years.

Finally, my previous employer was with Your Mom, I was laying some pipe. I'm sure as my reference, Your Mom would be able to speak highly and respectfully of my qualities. I have her number right here, if you'd like it. :PPPPPPPP
Starsickle
Vel'akar

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Madea » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:47 pm

Madea wrote:Part of the Editor Application process is being active on this board, and by active, we mean submitting material to be added to the Wiki; new pages, edits, and observations with counter-references. If you don't post up here, then we have nothing to gauge your activity and mentality with. If you're active, and polite, and knowledgeable and all that good rot, then that's the first step.

Note that it says the FIRST step in there, and also "by active, we mean submitting material to be added to the wiki".

Show us what you got, mate. Put up some wiki pages for review, show us you're willing to put in the time *first*. It sounds anal retentive of us, and it probably is, but we can't afford to just let everyone in because they promise they'll do a good job.

We look forward to seeing what you come up with. Godspeed.
Madea
Pineapple Warmaster

Postby Starsickle » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:04 pm

Iiiit was to my understanding that this was to have editing access to the wiki...

Soo ummm....okay...Lemme see if I can dig up stuff I've already posted and quote myself.
Starsickle
Vel'akar

Postby Ssin'urn » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:27 pm

You're only admitted as an editor after posting page suggestions on the forum, so digging up your stuff won't be of any use. You have to follow the guideline up above.

Madea already explained it to me after I asked. ^^
Ssin'urn
Kilt-wearing Catboy

Location: In my bombshelter, playing cards with the ghosts of diseased madmen.

Postby Starsickle » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:29 pm

Fine. *rolls up sleeves*
Starsickle
Vel'akar

Postby Sgt. Granite » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:29 pm

May I suggest a retcon article listing all the non-canon things that appear in the chapters yet to be remade? Specifically things like snake-whips and The Orc of Chapter Four(you know the one :wink: ).
Sgt. Granite
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Madea » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:03 pm

That's a good point. Thread will be made shortly.
Madea
Pineapple Warmaster

Re: Orthorbbae Athenaeum - DrowWiki Contributions (READ FIRST!)

Postby tyciol » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:29 pm

It would be great to be knowledgable enough about DT to be able to contribute to the wiki. Does reading Moonless Age and the fan works give that, or do the special pay-readings also need to be read to have extensive enough materials?
tyciol
Nether Seed

Postby Lt Anders » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:05 am

tyciol wrote:It would be great to be knowledgable enough about DT to be able to contribute to the wiki. Does reading Moonless Age and the fan works give that, or do the special pay-readings also need to be read to have extensive enough materials?

Moonless age and PtP give cannon(or is it canon?) info. Daydream, on the other had, is highly, um, fluid....yea...highly fluidic with acid mixed in.

Or you could just read the wiki(like me) a few times. I get real bored, and when bored...I wiki stuff...on many sites....(main wiki notwithstanding)
Lt Anders
Vel'akar

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Thalar » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:50 pm

All the information you need in order to write canon information for the wiki is in the Moonless Age, any official side comics (free), or on the forum.
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Clan: Jaal'darya

Re: Orthorbbae Athenaeum - DrowWiki Contributions (READ FIRS

Postby tyciol » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:34 pm

tyciol
Nether Seed

Re: Orthorbbae Athenaeum - DrowWiki Contributions (READ FIRS

Postby Jak'iaah » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:10 pm

tyciol wrote:http://forums.drowtales.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8754&p=353773 refers to "Kharla" so I am wondering if http://wiki.drowtales.com/index.php/Kharla could redirect to http://wiki.drowtales.com/index.php/Kha ... loz%27ress ?

Done. :)
Jak'iaah
Summoner

Return to Wiki Submissions and Updates