The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Dragon diplomacy.

Postby minalia on Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:09 pm

well guys we are about to write a historical moment in the drowtales universe and explore a entirely new facet of the lore.

Well guys i admit i posted 1 advice to follow any instruction if the dragons want us to land somewhere. That will only work if someone posts an advice to maybe do a peaceful first contact.

Well folks discuss here and make the best diplomatic advice possible. I honestly don't want a war on the ship's deck is to much at stake here and we have to many wounded on board.
A survivalist should not be a pessimist, he should always be positive, happy and enjoying life more than anyone else because he understands that each minute of peace we have is precious and unique, and he never takes it for granted.
minalia
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Re: Dragon diplomacy.

Postby Finn MacCool on Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:26 pm

minalia wrote:I honestly don't want a war on the ship's deck is to much at stake here and we have to many wounded on board.

also, they already have a spear on our blimp. so any hostility on our part is likely to result in a crash.
Finn MacCool
Vel'akar

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Catriana on Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:49 pm

I think first and foremost, we should find someplace to land. We can either keep going up (which I'm not sure if they'll like it or not, I think we might be too close to their home, thus the spears) or we can lower, but either way we need to land and get ourselves out of such a vulnerable situation.
“The most I can do for my friend is simply be his friend." -Henry David Thoreau
Catriana
Dragon of the Nether

Postby goblin6 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:10 pm

Actually, I think it's best the ship remains stationery as to not give the dragons the wrong idea. We're already in their air space and they have us surrounded at all angles. Have the ship remain where it is, talk with whoever is in charge. Again, no sudden movements with the ship.
PTP-Ze'carga D'rak & Van'deer
goblin6
Vel'akar

Postby Finn MacCool on Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:00 pm

good point.
so i think we need to
- stop the engine
- not raise/lower weapons
- try to speak with them (friendly)
- maybe offer food (on plates) as a sign of peace if they don't understand us or don't come within earshot
- stop the glider/parachute testing for the moment (Kear's idea)

anything else?
Finn MacCool
Vel'akar

Postby Timotheus on Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:16 pm

Keep the engines running unless they indicate we should stop. Do not increase speed though and a gentle slowing down would be a good idea. (Hitting the brakes hard indicates we feel we've been caught doing something wrong, which we do not want to imply.)

Stop the ascent by all means and begin to descend, but keep the descent slow and gentle. And again stop if they indicate we should.

No food at this time, parties and picnics are for later after the tone of the meeting is established.

No drawing of swords or side arms, but pole arms, cross bows and crew serviced weapons should be held at ready but not aimed threateningly. Armor and shields are good, helmets should have the wearers faces exposed if they are officers or negotiators.
Badges and symbols of rank are good as well.

Clear a space where a delegation of two or three could land on the deck as an invitation to talk. If there's a place where the ship's railing swings down that would be good.

As far as the glider testing goes, haul in the ferals and drow in the squirrel suits if they were over the side. Nothing else should be up and out to disrupt things.
Last edited by Timotheus on Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I knew what I was doing I'd be dangerous.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Location: Either building something or kibitzing someone else's project. Mana, boats, and mills!

Postby James Rye on Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:13 pm

Those things are dragons? They look more like humanoid gryffions than like humanoid dragons to me.

As for diplomacy - didn´t we take with us examples of our products and such? Why not have a row of us hold up the food, cloth, iron/glass/wood products, medicine and golem parts so that they can see we´re "traders" showing off our products. If they can speak our language we can later explain them that we´re explorers and traders, if not we got hand signs and such to make it clear.
Plus we got Mili with us, why not use her trader/diplomatic skills to get a boni in the possible talks? Or her opinion to it or whatever.
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Dalvyserran on Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:44 pm

James Rye wrote:Those things are dragons? They look more like humanoid gryffions than like humanoid dragons to me.

Yes, they're dragon-like fae

I've expressed this from day 1: show upmost respect for them. Mention that we are wayward travelers from the mists seeking knowledge of our lost ancestors. BE POLITE AT ALL TIMES!!!

in case of emergency, practice DIPLOMACY, don't rush to pick up your sword
Height Chart for various races
Cameo appearances catalog

Beldrobbaen San'dellora Dizen'ralith House
Kyorl'solenurn Shinhwa
Sullisin'rune Min'issya - Ash'mita
Sharen Daksha'yani - Chigusa
Illhar'dro Mersedeh - Sasarai
Sarghress Awdri
Nal'sarkoth Kane'ohe
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Catriana on Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:41 am

It is more beneficial to engage on the ground than in the air in case they get aggressive and they try to make us land by force (ie: crash our ship).

Tim has the right of it. If they don't like us descending, stop. Don't continue to go up, but staying up in the air could also be seen as a somewhat aggressive move.
“The most I can do for my friend is simply be his friend." -Henry David Thoreau
Catriana
Dragon of the Nether

Postby goblin6 on Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:12 am

Dycle posted an advice to keep the ship going, in response, I posted a counter advice to halt our current position hours ago and it got voted. I think it's best we stay where we are unltil told otherwise, hear what they have to say first before making a move. We're already intruding their air space, landing on their island without their permission might aggravate further.

When a person points a weapon at you, the natural and on most cases logical reaction is to drop what you are doing, give the person your undivided attention and make no sudden movements. Imagine if the role was reverse, we wouldn't want them on our doorsteps until after we know who they are, what's their intention, are they a threat and if our superior give us the green light to let them enter.

So again, until they tell us to land, the ship halts and maintain its current position.
goblin6
Vel'akar

Postby Ash'arion on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:46 pm

goblin6 wrote:When a person points a weapon at you, the natural and on most cases logical reaction is to drop what you are doing, give the person your undivided attention and make no sudden movements.

Unless you were military trained, in which case your natural reaction would be to try to lure them within your reach and then try to disarm them. Or if you were both military trained and armed, you would return the favor in a manner that reduces risk to yourself while maximizing your own effectiveness. Usually by attacking first or in a lapse in their attention.
Ash-
RH: Eyes peeled and heads on a swivel, Shrikes.

MA: Have I mentioned that I hate fire?

Kale'shido- I would've gone to the Sarghress, like the other exiles, but I fear for my family's safety as much as my friends'.
Ash'arion
Vel'akar

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Timotheus on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:23 pm

At the moment they're not exactly pointing weapons AT us, just strongly hinting they want a word with us. Our response is to stop encroaching on their comfort zone and await their pleasure. In the mean time both parties will stay alertly aware of the other and await developments.
If I knew what I was doing I'd be dangerous.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Location: Either building something or kibitzing someone else's project. Mana, boats, and mills!

Postby goblin6 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:00 pm

Better hope their weapons aren't pointing at us and they're not the "Shoot first, ask later" types.
goblin6
Vel'akar

Postby Sonor Val'Illhar'dro on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:03 pm

We should ask Altimi what she knows about dragons

Sometimes I forget she's from Shashi. But she seems to know what she's talking about- I find some credibility in her claims for fish. At least we know that much is canon.
Sonor Val'Illhar'dro
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby goblin6 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:07 pm

I think most would this it's obvious, but please refrain from posting anything in the EA until the LA update. We need to know how this plays out before doing anything else.
goblin6
Vel'akar

Next

Return to Community Centre