The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Shipboard Greenhouse Project

Postby Hfar on Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:15 am

So Suntiger has confirmed that we do indeed have a storage room that has one wall that's mostly window. He also says that we can convert it into a greenhouse by using a climate regulator, which can be made by using the same type golems used in the mimian plate armor.

I personally think that a greenhouse would serve our mission well, since part of our goal is to bring back items that could be of benefit to our clan. Any medicinal herbs, cooking spices, or even exotic flora for the beatification of Ama'varde could be stored until we bring them back to our capitol. Hel, we could study the plants while we travel. However, I should note that this room is not huge, so this *NOT* going to be some undertaking to build a massive shipboard arboretum or garden. This is merely to have a place to transport any interesting plant samples we might find or a supplement of herbs and spices.

Now to make this project work, we're going to need some people to work on the climate regulators and a few people to help grow the plants. I'm thinking that we could gather people together with the wood/plant affinity to help with the growing portion, since not only could we ensure our subjects/garden grows healthy and strong but we might also be able to accelerate growth for observation and testing purposes. I personally know my character has a wood affinity, but I don't know how many of the active characters do as well.

Of course if you don't have a wood affinity, you're free to help out as well. However I'm declaring right now that all ferals are banned from working with catnip.
We shall settle this in the ancient way. WITH A CHILDREN'S CARD GAME!
Hfar
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Re: Shipboard Greenhouse Project

Postby Jaibyrd on Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:07 pm

Don't we already have a greenhouse for all the mana plants? ^^; I swear there was one shown at the beginning of this arc in comic somewhere...
AIM: Desinique - YIM: jai_byrd13 - MSN: Jai_byrd13@hotmail.com - Skype: jaibyrd13 - Twitter: Jaibyrd - dA: Jaibyrd
Jaibyrd
Vel'akar

Postby goblin6 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:25 pm

Jaibyrd wrote:Don't we already have a greenhouse for all the mana plants? ^^; I swear there was one shown at the beginning of this arc in comic somewhere...

As Hfar said, it's merely a storage room for fauna (plants, animals, etc.), not a greenhouse. The original advice that started this idea was worded just that, a room to store any fauna we may find during our travels.
PTP-Ze'carga D'rak & Van'deer
goblin6
Vel'akar

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Hfar on Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:58 pm

Jaibyrd wrote:Don't we already have a greenhouse for all the mana plants? ^^; I swear there was one shown at the beginning of this arc in comic somewhere...

That's what I thought as well (at least if we're both thinking of this page link) but apparently that room needs modification before it can be use for plant storage. So far I haven't been able to find mention of any place on the ship where we store our mana plants.
Hfar
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Ash'arion on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:14 pm

How about we just train them onto the sides of the ship like some people do with buildings, like the Hanging Gardens? Although those would be limited to climbing vines at first.
Ash-
RH: Eyes peeled and heads on a swivel, Shrikes.

MA: Have I mentioned that I hate fire?

Kale'shido- I would've gone to the Sarghress, like the other exiles, but I fear for my family's safety as much as my friends'.
Ash'arion
Vel'akar

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Catriana on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:20 pm

Because a flying ship is not a stationary building, and you would be more likely to kill any plants you leave out there flapping in the wind as opposed to having them safely inside a climate controlled room.
“The most I can do for my friend is simply be his friend." -Henry David Thoreau
Catriana
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Jaibyrd on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:23 pm

Wasn't it shown with ice on the deck several times? Not a good idea to place plants there at all.
AIM: Desinique - YIM: jai_byrd13 - MSN: Jai_byrd13@hotmail.com - Skype: jaibyrd13 - Twitter: Jaibyrd - dA: Jaibyrd
Jaibyrd
Vel'akar

Postby Kami-Kahzy on Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:39 pm

I wholly agree with this storage room idea. It would be a huge benefit to have the ability to store fauna as well as any material goods we find in our adventures. However, as Jailbyrd and the others have mentioned, the outside decks would be a horrible place to put any kind of window boxes. Its extremely cold at high altitudes, and the wind generated from flying would likely tear any samples we have to bits.

No, for this to work we'll have to go along with Hfar's original idea to get the climate regulator designed and built. After that it's just a short order of moving fresh earth into the room for the plants to grow in. It might even be a good idea to have a water trough of sorts in there so that we can store any aquatic plants we might find. However, I think that can be addressed later as the need for one arises. It'd be just as effective to fill a jar with water and shove the plant in there as it would to build a designated nursery pool for it.
Kami-Kahzy
Nether Spawn

Postby Sonor Val'Illhar'dro on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:19 pm

I'm on board with the Greenhouse project. Should I submit the advice creating the climate regulators for the room then?
Sonor Val'Illhar'dro
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby goblin6 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:35 pm

We got the heat/cold golems to do it. Did it on our armors and turn a room into a sauna (SWEET :D )
PTP-Ze'carga D'rak & Van'deer
goblin6
Vel'akar

Postby Sonor Val'Illhar'dro on Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:12 am

Alright, once we touch down on this sky island, I'm going to put in an advice to start bringing in soil & look for new plant and animal specimens.

:D
Sonor Val'Illhar'dro
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Hfar on Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:11 am

Good to see it worked out! And yes, I too am eager to see what interesting flaura we might find!
Hfar
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Finn MacCool on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:47 pm

Hfar wrote:flaura

is that a new term for flora with an aura?
Finn MacCool
Vel'akar

Postby Hfar on Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:44 pm

Finn MacCool wrote:
Hfar wrote:flaura

is that a new term for flora with an aura?

Er, yes! That's totally what it is! *cough*
Hfar
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Finn MacCool on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:50 pm

heh, even if that wasn't intentional, i like it. :)
and i bet the people counting the characters in their advices will like it, too - way shorter than "mana plants".
Finn MacCool
Vel'akar

Next

Return to Community Centre