The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Re: Mana Arts Development Team

Postby goblin6 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:24 pm

Wow, wonders of wonders, water affinity (or just water in general) can be use for medical purposes. I'm happy that my doubts are proven wrong. So boiling and mixing with beneficial minerals/herbs, the GM pretty much wrote the advice for us. Question, what ingredients do we use? We brought some mana plants on broad, maybe we can use those for starters? As for minerals, we have some with us but I'm not sure what kind of minerals.

So how do we go about this? Should we try a making different batches? One boiled plants, another with powdered minerals and a third that is a combination of both? We have mana plants on broad, not sure if we have any other plants other then vegetables. As for minerals, I hazard a guess that we have steel, iron, gems and salt crystals (or just ground up salt).

Since Ninorok is in charge of this project, should she be the one to do a follow up post? My guy is a water affinity so I like to help anyway I can.
PTP-Ze'carga D'rak & Van'deer
goblin6
Vel'akar

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Catriana on Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:55 pm

Water has always been used for healing IRL. I did a quick google search and came up with some interesting things.
“The most I can do for my friend is simply be his friend." -Henry David Thoreau
Catriana
Dragon of the Nether

Postby goblin6 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:06 pm

I was under the assumption of using water in a more magical/fictional sense.
goblin6
Vel'akar

Postby Catriana on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:09 pm

The entire reason we went with the idea was because we knew water was used in medicine IRL. A lot of the ideas that are presented/worked on in PtP are based off of RL inventions/ideas/concepts.
Catriana
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Dalvyserran on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:35 pm

mixing water arts with plant liquids is definitely something we can try. Maybe drawing the liquids out of medicinal plants, like aloe vera, and preserving it?
Height Chart for various races
Cameo appearances catalog

Beldrobbaen San'dellora Dizen'ralith House
Kyorl'solenurn Shinhwa
Sullisin'rune Min'issya - Ash'mita
Sharen Daksha'yani - Chigusa
Illhar'dro Mersedeh - Sasarai
Sarghress Awdri
Nal'sarkoth Kane'ohe
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Catriana on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:52 pm

Oh yes! Aloe vera has a LOT of medicinal properties. It's also pretty yummy :D The problem would be finding it or finding people who sell it. Maybe we could have luck at a Nal'sarkoth trading post if we can't find it out in the wild?
Catriana
Dragon of the Nether

Postby goblin6 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:10 pm

How about we try boiling mana plants and see how that goes? You can extract nutrients and stuff by boiling it. We have some on broad in the greenhouse room.
goblin6
Vel'akar

Postby Jaibyrd on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:41 pm

Boiling destroys Goblin. Not releases.
AIM: Desinique - YIM: jai_byrd13 - MSN: Jai_byrd13@hotmail.com - Skype: jaibyrd13 - Twitter: Jaibyrd - dA: Jaibyrd
Jaibyrd
Vel'akar

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby goblin6 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:53 pm

We got something call tea. Put some herb in a boiling water, and the water is mixed with its extracts. I was thinking we can apply the same idea. Or we can try grinding the plants into paste and mix it with hot water.
goblin6
Vel'akar

Postby Catriana on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:56 pm

I've put in an option for Ninorok to use his water affinity to test and see if we can extract oils/nutrients from plants without having to resort to steaming them.

@Goblin: You use steam to extract oils/nutrients from plants. You do not boil them. You also don't boil tea. You boil the water and allow the tea to steep once it's hot enough.
Catriana
Dragon of the Nether

Postby goblin6 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:59 pm

The maybe I should have been more detailed in my explanation then. Look, I'm just trying to help and throw some ideas here. Cause when I said boiling, I didn't mean put the plant in water and boil it like that. I meant boiling it like tea in the way Catriana described it.
goblin6
Vel'akar

Postby Catriana on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:07 pm

I haven't done any research on tea atm, but I have plenty of loose leaf tea in my house. Taking a fresh plant and putting it in boiling water won't actually do anything (at least as far as I understand it). Tea leaves themselves are dried, along with anything else added to give it flavor. When you steep it, I'm assuming that's when everything gets released. The exception would be something like matcha (green tea) as this is typically a powder (but I also have green tea that isn't, so there's that), so it automatically gets distributed and dissolves in the water.

Also, Jai'byrd is typing from her phone with limited internet access while on vacation, so that's why her answers are short. She wasn't being curt with you.

(Edit: I knew I was spelling matcha wrong. Fixed)
Catriana
Dragon of the Nether

Postby goblin6 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:37 pm

All and all, the GM pretty much spelled out the follow up advice to Catriana's idea. Mix powdered minerals/liquid extracts from plants with boiled water. Only plants I'm aware of that we have on hand is the mana plants, though I vaguely remember us bringing different types of plant life with us shortly before our ship's first takeoff.
goblin6
Vel'akar

Postby Dalvyserran on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:19 am

a wild idea:

is it possible to extract mana from plants via magical means?
Height Chart for various races
Cameo appearances catalog

Beldrobbaen San'dellora Dizen'ralith House
Kyorl'solenurn Shinhwa
Sullisin'rune Min'issya - Ash'mita
Sharen Daksha'yani - Chigusa
Illhar'dro Mersedeh - Sasarai
Sarghress Awdri
Nal'sarkoth Kane'ohe
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Sonor Val'Illhar'dro on Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:16 am

goblin6 wrote:All and all, the GM pretty much spelled out the follow up advice to Catriana's idea. Mix powdered minerals/liquid extracts from plants with boiled water. Only plants I'm aware of that we have on hand is the mana plants, though I vaguely remember us bringing different types of plant life with us shortly before our ship's first takeoff.

Once we touch down on the island, we should have more opportunity to look for potential medicinal plants/herbs
Sonor Val'Illhar'dro
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Illhar'dro

PreviousNext

Return to Community Centre