The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

~*~ PtP Make a Holiday Contest ~*~

Postby Jaibyrd on Sat May 25, 2013 5:57 pm

The Tei’Kaliath need a Holiday Contest!

Yes, let’s all take a holiday; I think we’ve earned it… Oh wait! We don’t have any official holidays; let’s fix that shall we?

Yes, this is the official make a Tei’Kaliath Holiday Contest where you can help contribute to the culture of the game and the Clan by making a Holiday.

Info we’re looking for (this is just the basic info, if you want to add more, DO IT):

1. Name of the Holiday
2. What season is it celebrated in?
3. What is the Holiday’s history? (See guidelines below)
4. How is the Holiday celebrated? You must detail three of the following at least:
  • What are the activities people do? (Games, dances – explain and give examples)
  • What songs are sung? Give an example (i. e. write a song)
  • What is the color theme?
  • What foods are traditional for this holiday? Give some examples (i. e. make a recipe)
  • What decorations are usually put up?
5. Any other information or even images to help illustrate your holiday

Sounds easy, right? Well hold on just a sec as there are a couple things I’d like you to keep in mind when writing up your holiday information:

Guidelines and No-no’s:
1. Your holiday must be non-religious. The Tei’Kaliath have no main religion and we need to stick to that.
2. Please avoid too much Tir’ay, even though Tir’ay is a big part of the TK Clan, we have holidays dedicated to Tir’ay, they’re called Tournaments.
3. You can base it on a real world holiday, but the judges are going to look for originality and creativity.
4. Try to keep this semi-serious, in other words, this can be a fun holiday (as aren’t all holidays supposed to be ‘fun’?), but if you do a joke holiday just to be funny, then it will be taken exactly as that, a joke and won’t be in contention for the prize.

The Judges:
Thalar, Jai'byrd and Catriana

The Prize:
A full color commission of your character (or another of your choice) by DT artist of your choice ($100 value, paid by me Jai'byrd) and a three month PtP Citizen membership for either you or a friend.

The Deadline:
Midnight June 30th, 2013 EST (GMT -5) (so you have a little over a month) – Winners will be announced sometime after that.

Send your entries to me, Jaibyrd either via PM or email at jaibyrd AT gmail DOT com by the deadline above. Please title them "Drowtales PtP Holiday Contest" and please include every thing the first time you send it (I really don't want a dozen PMs or Emails from the same person, it makes it very hard to keep track of it all, so keep it to one message please).

If you have any questions, post them in this thread and I’ll try to answer them as best as I can. ;)

Good luck! Have fun! Party on! *beer*
AIM: Desinique - YIM: jai_byrd13 - MSN: Jai_byrd13@hotmail.com - Skype: jaibyrd13 - Twitter: Jaibyrd - dA: Jaibyrd
Jaibyrd
Vel'akar

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Re: ~*~ PtP Make a Holiday Contest ~*~

Postby Dalvyserran on Sat May 25, 2013 7:11 pm

For traditionally eaten foods, when you say to make a recipe do we have to describe step by step how to create it as if we were making it IRL?
Height Chart for various races
Cameo appearances catalog

Beldrobbaen San'dellora Dizen'ralith House
Kyorl'solenurn Shinhwa
Sullisin'rune Min'issya - Ash'mita
Sharen Daksha'yani - Chigusa
Illhar'dro Mersedeh - Sasarai
Sarghress Awdri
Nal'sarkoth Kane'ohe
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Tsukiko on Sat May 25, 2013 7:15 pm

I don't think so, I believe it should just be "realistic" recipe?
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest drow.
Tsukiko
Vel'akar

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Jaibyrd on Sat May 25, 2013 7:25 pm

Dalvyserran wrote:For traditionally eaten foods, when you say to make a recipe do we have to describe step by step how to create it as if we were making it IRL?

Yeah, pretty much that's what I had in mind. *bigsmile*
AIM: Desinique - YIM: jai_byrd13 - MSN: Jai_byrd13@hotmail.com - Skype: jaibyrd13 - Twitter: Jaibyrd - dA: Jaibyrd
Jaibyrd
Vel'akar

Postby Tsukiko on Sat May 25, 2013 7:30 pm

Oh, okay then, my bad ^^;
Hey, it could be fun then to compile the recipes into a "Tei'kaliath cooking book" XD
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest drow.
Tsukiko
Vel'akar

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Finn MacCool on Sat May 25, 2013 10:49 pm

Tsukiko wrote:Hey, it could be fun then to compile the recipes into a "Tei'kaliath cooking book" XD

maybe you can use bits of this old project for it.
Finn MacCool
Vel'akar

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Timotheus on Sun May 26, 2013 1:32 am

Here's the four official Tei'kalath BBQ sauce recipes from the contest , the winners were number 3 and 4.

There will be a poll on the week of the festival where the clan can chose which of the submitted recipes for a BBQ Sauce will become the "OFFICIAL" Teikaliath BBQ Sauce for grilling potato bugs and such. So far there have been four entries and I regret to say I seem to have misplaced one of them. So if you don't see the one you already submitted, submit it again. And if you haven't submitted one, here's your chance to get one in under the wire. The winner gets the opportunity to name the sauce or defer to the clan.

Entry 1... Apple marinade
Take two cups of alcohol, four cups of water in a pot, toss in half an apple, let it boil until apple is nearly dissolved, filter it, add one teaspoon of salt, stir until all is dissolved: Done.

Pour into a small platter, roll bug in it before BBQ'ing and serve after the potato bug is done thoroughly.

Entry 2... Vinegar butter baste
Take one Crab, boil it with belly facing upwards in a pot with 5 teaspoons of salt, pick up when done, dislodge the top shell while it's facing belly-up, scrap off shell fat/butter into a larger bottle/liquid container, add (normally a pinch of sugar) a few drops of apple juice, stir it around and let it cool off.
Now, fill it with vinegar, seal the bottle/container and let it soak for one day.
Sprinkle some onto the targeted BBQ item while it's being prepared.

Entry 3... Potato-bug in mushroom-beer sauce
More of a potato-and-gravy approach:

Finely chopped mushroom are put into a shallow pot (over a simmering temperature) with half a cup of beer (or even just water), add "mixed flour" and stir constantly (to prevent lumps) until thickened to a syrupy consistency. The bug is cooked separately and then served on a warm plate with the "mushroom gravy" served either separately in a small cup, or already poured over the top of the cooked bug.

We could call it "Potato-bug in mushroom-beer sauce".

Entry 4... Honey Glaze
!/2 cup of honey mixed with a pinch of spice
add the egg white of one egg and mix very well
glaze and baste foods that are to be BBQ-ed.
If I knew what I was doing I'd be dangerous.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Location: Either building something or kibitzing someone else's project. Mana, boats, and mills!

Postby horusre on Sun May 26, 2013 10:11 am

Getting a bit off topic.

Tk recipes may, or may not, be included as a part of the created holiday, but this is not the thread to be working on compiling a Tk cook book.

"Make a Holiday" contest, yes?
Bellum omnium contra omnes. Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse. Inter arma enim silent leges. Sic semper tyrannis. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Nuff said?
horusre
Summoner

Clan: Sharen

Postby minalia on Sun May 26, 2013 6:39 pm

What foods are traditional for this holiday? Give some examples (i. e. make a recipe)

it is within the rules to create said recipe list. Thus the participants have not broken the rules.
A survivalist should not be a pessimist, he should always be positive, happy and enjoying life more than anyone else because he understands that each minute of peace we have is precious and unique, and he never takes it for granted.
minalia
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Catriana on Mon May 27, 2013 1:43 am

minalia wrote:What foods are traditional for this holiday? Give some examples (i. e. make a recipe)

it is within the rules to create said recipe list. Thus the participants have not broken the rules.

Send your entries to me, Jaibyrd either via PM or email at jaibyrd AT gmail DOT com by the deadline above. Please title them "Drowtales PtP Holiday Contest" and please include every thing the first time you send it (I really don't want a dozen PMs or Emails from the same person, it makes it very hard to keep track of it all, so keep it to one message please).

The point that was being made was that while this can be a brainstorming thread, it is not the place to submit entries nor to promote other contests. The purpose of the holiday goes beyond submitting recipes, it's a whole package.
“The most I can do for my friend is simply be his friend." -Henry David Thoreau
Catriana
Dragon of the Nether

Postby horusre on Mon May 27, 2013 10:14 am

My perspective stands, it is supported, and thus I shall continue to endorse it. So please endeavor to remain on point.
Bellum omnium contra omnes. Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse. Inter arma enim silent leges. Sic semper tyrannis. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Nuff said?
horusre
Summoner

Clan: Sharen

Postby Jaibyrd on Mon May 27, 2013 5:28 pm

To be fair, I think Tim was reposting that from ages ago so people didn't have to dig for it as that contest is over and done with.

Still, keep on topic folks! *bigsmile*

Common! Get in the holiday spirit! *wee*

OR ELSE. *zombie*
Jaibyrd
Vel'akar

Postby Leonis on Mon May 27, 2013 9:36 pm

Does the event have to be strictly "TK"/Drow? I am thinking about a festival for remembering the Ferals.
Leonis
Demon

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby Finn MacCool on Mon May 27, 2013 9:52 pm

dunno, but the ferals don't seem to be all that big on remembering.
also, i propose that someone who's better with cultural stuff than i proposes a holiday related to our first arrival at the colony. they'll certainly get my voice for that.
Finn MacCool
Vel'akar

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Jaibyrd on Mon May 27, 2013 9:53 pm

Leonis wrote:Does the event have to be strictly "TK"/Drow? I am thinking about a festival for remembering the Ferals.

Um... I suppose, but to what point? To do so would be excluding part of the Clan.

I mean, this holiday is for EVERYONE, not just Drow or Ferals as I consider both species part of what it means to be Tei'Kaliath. Holidays should be for everyone. Something to bring us all together. Why ruin such an endeavor with promoting one race over the other? :(

Thus I won't deny such an entry, but at the same time I would not be pleased to see such an entry either and I'm pretty sure that's how the other judges will view it as well. ^^;
Jaibyrd
Vel'akar

Next

Return to Community Centre