The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

130417 Nal outpost group

Postby suntiger745 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:19 pm

The leader archive will focus on the team going for the Ballista.

Was a bit tricky to do this page, since I had to try and fit other things in while still keppeing the team going to the outpost as the main focus.

The attackers seem to be mimians, though it isn't a certanity just a strong suspicion after hearing Mirtis report.
Powder snuck into the outpost and confirmed that it was still fine, which Xenon and Shen'laan saw indications of while spying from a distance.

Btw, Nel'seer isn't actually that slow, he's just not as fast as a feral.
Also, the speech balloons currently has Mirits saying both his and Powder's lines. Small mistake there.

You might be able to warn the Nal outpost of the attack before it happens. It's possible it is too late though. We'll see. ;)

If this post is less coherent than usual it's because my brain is a bit fried at the moment. :)
suntiger745
Kern's minion

Clan: Sarghress

Re: 130417 Nel outpost group

Postby Dalvyserran on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:26 pm

So for all we know, it might actually be black suns manning the outpost :U :@
Height Chart for various races
Cameo appearances catalog

Beldrobbaen San'dellora Dizen'ralith House
Kyorl'solenurn Shinhwa
Sullisin'rune Min'issya - Ash'mita
Sharen Daksha'yani - Chigusa
Illhar'dro Mersedeh - Sasarai
Sarghress Awdri
Nal'sarkoth Kane'ohe
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby demonthault on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:47 pm

Dalvyserran wrote:So for all we know, it might actually be black suns manning the outpost :U :@

Or juggalos! Well, probably not juggalos.
*starts Powerpoint presentation so Daven can convince Brook of the goodness o shinies*
-Mirrvyn
demonthault
Summoner

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby cHr0n0sPh3r3 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:01 am

Hrmm I wonder if we have time to get back to the ship and mobilise the main force. I'm willing to pitch a bet that Ballista to entrap any Nals fleeing the OP. With that in mind I think we have several options here.

We could try to launch a surprise attack while the raiders are still preparing, although whether we have time for that is questionable.
We could also wait and see if they try to herd Nal captures towards the ballista, assuming we can capture it we can launch an ambush there.

I'm in favour of trying to nip the raid while they're still prepping although to what degree we can I'm sceptical of. According to mirtis they have shinies so I'll assume they've got mana users of some sort, but the idea is that they should in theory have foci and we did want some foci to reverse engineer or at least use.

On the otherhand we might want to avoid casualties and warn the outpost, but I don't think the outpost alone could stop a dedicated attack.
cHr0n0sPh3r3
Tainted

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Dalvyserran on Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:23 am

here's the deal with launching a surprise attack:

you'd be putting the ballista team in jeopardy, because they're also relying on the element of surprise. The ballista is manned, and if the Nal team alerts the outpost of intruders...
Height Chart for various races
Cameo appearances catalog

Beldrobbaen San'dellora Dizen'ralith House
Kyorl'solenurn Shinhwa
Sullisin'rune Min'issya - Ash'mita
Sharen Daksha'yani - Chigusa
Illhar'dro Mersedeh - Sasarai
Sarghress Awdri
Nal'sarkoth Kane'ohe
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby goblin6 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:17 am

But if we don't alert the outpost, the enemy might attack anyway, only difference is the result will be more devastating for our allies. The Nals will be caught with their pants down, the outpost will more likely fall into enemy hands, meaning we'll have to fight in two fronts if the enemy takes over the outpost. We need to alert the Nals, have them prepare their defenses as soon as possible. Don't worry about the ballista team, I'm in that team as well. We knew the risk when we took the assignment. We'll be fine, a quick peek and we're off.
PTP-Ze'carga D'rak & Van'deer
goblin6
Vel'akar

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Ash'arion on Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:48 am

Our actions should be as follows:

1. Wait for a report from the ballista investigation team
2. Have the Nal outpost team warn said outpost's leaders about the pending raid.
3. Get everybody back onto the ship and the ship back into the air, ASAP.
4. Fly the airship in a position where we have an advantage over the enemy ballista (like several hundred meters directly above it, unless the GMs say fuck reality and make a ballista able to shoot up, in which case I don't know) and have our ballista and Min's golems shoot at it until it's out of commission. Rinse and repeat with any other such ballistae we encounter.
5. Support the Nals by flying over the Mimian(?) forces and shooting our airship's ballistae at their heavy forces. (Such as calvary and siege weapons)
6. When 5 is completed, proceed to disrupting their infantry with our ballistae and golems, from above.
7. By this point, the Nals should win with minimal casualties, thanks to our help, so we land near their outpost and help the wounded.
8. Profit.
Ash-
RH: Eyes peeled and heads on a swivel, Shrikes.

MA: Have I mentioned that I hate fire?

Kale'shido- I would've gone to the Sarghress, like the other exiles, but I fear for my family's safety as much as my friends'.
Ash'arion
Vel'akar

Postby Timotheus on Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:37 am

Possible tactics (and not very sky blue ones)...
Harpoon the ballista with ours and pull it off its ledge.
dry gultch the party in the road and lead them back to our golems, ground forces, and overhead fire platform (ship) with the TK74s, JKs (Janiklekovs), and ballistas after neutralizing the ballista platform.
Signal the settlement with warning flares or send in a written warning by a feral courier.

Send the party in the road a written message offering to let them surrender now with favorable terms and avoiding possible slavery for the survivors so they can avoid the inconvenience of being counterattacked by a surprise ambush on such a nice day.

Who knows, sometimes chutzpah pays off.

After all, the ballista crew on the cliff has SEEN our airship.
If I knew what I was doing I'd be dangerous.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Location: Either building something or kibitzing someone else's project. Mana, boats, and mills!

Postby thealbinobutterfly on Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:51 pm

Heyoh!

Just found this thread, im going to reply once im home, and not on my cellular. So wait for meeeee!!!

I gots opinions!!!!!!!
thealbinobutterfly
Vel'akar

Postby Durlyn Val'Sarghress on Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:27 pm

Is this a scout AND warrior's discussion thread? Just checking because I can understand the need for that (cooperation and what not), its just that the actual warrior's thread has been a little inactive and puttering along for a while and I was worried all these extra threads might have something to do with it.

we definitely need to wait for the LA to update tomorrow before we jump to any conclusions regarding who we face, but it does sound like the Mims may now be our enemies.
Durlyn Val'Sarghress
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Tohya on Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:34 pm

If you have a large enough group, why not wait until the attack starts and then hit them from behind? Since Powder sneek into the outpost again, and have the Nals quietly get ready for an attack.

The Airship can keep the Ballista occupied buy staying just out of range, if they keep it pointed at the Airship. Or flying directly above them and kicking a few rocks over the side of the ship.
Tohya
Vel'akar

Postby Timotheus on Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:58 pm

I have a direct question for Suntiger that I believe we should get settled now before it creates any confusion. How many ballista did we get mounted on the ship?

I would have to say at least two (one for each side based on how they are shown mounted) and hopefully four (or six) to cover the ship's four quadrants (fore, aft, port, starboard). Having just one would be rather unreasonable considering their purpose as it would leave one side of the ship unprotected at all times.
If I knew what I was doing I'd be dangerous.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Location: Either building something or kibitzing someone else's project. Mana, boats, and mills!

Postby Ash'arion on Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:17 pm

http://www.drowtales.com/~pathtopower/a ... p?sid=9226

@Timotheus: I think we have at least three, possibly five or more. They were already referred to in plural (as 'some'), and there's also the heavy variant we have somewhere on the deck.

@Durlyn: this is an everybody thread.

@Tohya: We have a cap of 300 people to commit, far less if we're only counting dedicated (like Durlyn) or at least semi-dedicated (like Ash) warriors. Also our ballistae have been demonstrated to have the ability to shoot almost straight down (thanks Goji), if not completely straight down, so we can just use those if we fly overhead. That ballista on the ground is big enough to do serious damage to our airship, however its size also limits how far 'up' it can be pointed, and also slows down the operators' ability to move it, as evidenced by the fact that once we gave away our location and allegiance with the signal flares, the crew turned the weapon to us... quickly enough for us to identify their intent but too slowly to take a shot at us once we were moving again. Either it was not intended for anti-air combat, or whoever designed it sucks at their job.
Ash-
RH: Eyes peeled and heads on a swivel, Shrikes.

MA: Have I mentioned that I hate fire?

Kale'shido- I would've gone to the Sarghress, like the other exiles, but I fear for my family's safety as much as my friends'.
Ash'arion
Vel'akar

Postby Leonis on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:00 pm

BTW Welcome back Toyha. Haven't seen you in a while. Or maybe I've just not been paying attention. That happens too.
Leonis
Demon

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby Durlyn Val'Sarghress on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:31 pm

Ash'arion wrote:http://www.drowtales.com/~pathtopower/archive.php?sid=9226

@Timotheus: I think we have at least three, possibly five or more. They were already referred to in plural (as 'some'), and there's also the heavy variant we have somewhere on the deck.

@Durlyn: this is an everybody thread.

@Tohya: We have a cap of 300 people to commit, far less if we're only counting dedicated (like Durlyn) or at least semi-dedicated (like Ash) warriors. Also our ballistae have been demonstrated to have the ability to shoot almost straight down (thanks Goji), if not completely straight down, so we can just use those if we fly overhead. That ballista on the ground is big enough to do serious damage to our airship, however its size also limits how far 'up' it can be pointed, and also slows down the operators' ability to move it, as evidenced by the fact that once we gave away our location and allegiance with the signal flares, the crew turned the weapon to us... quickly enough for us to identify their intent but too slowly to take a shot at us once we were moving again. Either it was not intended for anti-air combat, or whoever designed it sucks at their job.

So basically we can bombard them with the ships ballistas from the air if our ground teams can successfully disable the fortress's ballistas so our ship can get in close enough to do some damage?
Durlyn Val'Sarghress
Dark Chibi Demon

Next

Return to Community Centre