The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Re: Ship Mounted Ballista - Harpoon Launcher

Postby Ash'arion on Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:43 am

Pictured here is a rough idea of the flechette attachments for our airship's ballistae bolts. A written description is as follows:
Numerous steel slivers are arranged around a small disc made of a soft wood like cork with their leading ends, and the bolt's head, embedded into it. The trailing ends are attached to a small mana gem in critical state, via twine or adhesive. The gem in turn is supported by a miniature golem lock that allows the assembly to rotate during flight and taps the gem once the rotations have caused the last tumbler to fall into place (like a combination lock with only one direction). The gem will then detonate (having been stated to be as stable as nitroglycerin) and scatter the slivers at high velocity in a cone-shaped pattern in the direction of flight. This will make the upgrade safe for operators and very dangerous for anyone in the general direction the bolt is fired at. Because the launch of the slivers is more important than the actual explosive effect (think frag grenade rather than dynamite), the gems used can be smaller, and by extension cheaper, than those already in service as mana bomb warheads.

Please feel free to comment or criticize in whatever way compels you.
Ash-
RH: Eyes peeled and heads on a swivel, Shrikes.

MA: Have I mentioned that I hate fire?

Kale'shido- I would've gone to the Sarghress, like the other exiles, but I fear for my family's safety as much as my friends'.
Ash'arion
Vel'akar

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Eltharrion on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:02 pm

I have to make a question.
Is the cork+bolthead attached to the bolt's shaft in any other way than the metallic slivers?

Because if not, this bolt will whirl around into a random direction once launched, as the heavy tip (bolthead and slivers both) will not hold a steady angle but instead flap around (steel slivers WILL give away to the sudden force they have to brace from the launch of ballista with that kind of setting. Unless they are very heavy ones, but then they wouldn't really be able to scatter far from the small detonation the gem causes).

Now if there's a stable support, like a short wooden shaft (not attached to the gem) that will keep the bolt in straight line until it can detonate, then I see this thing working myself.
Elhvir - Ex-mercenary from Chel, PtP
Eltharrion
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Ash'arion on Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:00 am

You raise a good point. However, it was what I had at the time. I've talked to Tim and Renn about it and gotten some advice on how to build a better (read: functional) one, and they suggested dropping the spinning lock aspect altogether and replacing it with a command wire that sets the bolt off when it runs out and gets pulled out from the tail. Unfortunately, this conversation did not happen prior to me submitting this idea to the GMs for approval.
Ash-
RH: Eyes peeled and heads on a swivel, Shrikes.

MA: Have I mentioned that I hate fire?

Kale'shido- I would've gone to the Sarghress, like the other exiles, but I fear for my family's safety as much as my friends'.
Ash'arion
Vel'akar

Clan: Sarghress

Postby minalia on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:52 am

I might be posting some kind of advice that refers mainly as a tutorial that the chief engineer *that's me* will be explaining in what can make a mana core unstable to begin with. This may in some ways give us some clues in how to proceed with the research if we then know exactly where the problem are when it comes to stabilizing a mana core.

Feel free to begin making the cannon aspect of the mana cannon on the mean time.
A survivalist should not be a pessimist, he should always be positive, happy and enjoying life more than anyone else because he understands that each minute of peace we have is precious and unique, and he never takes it for granted.
minalia
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Eltharrion on Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:07 pm

Working on possible designs, mana layouts and other stuff needed for creating a working mana cannon/turret/gun/blaster/whatever you want to call it.

Will be posting them once I get them into understandable form.
Elhvir - Ex-mercenary from Chel, PtP
Eltharrion
Dragon of the Nether

Previous

Return to Community Centre