The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Re: "Flying Squirrel Style" personal glider jumpsuit

Postby Timotheus on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:52 pm

For this week I'm going to specifically go for developing an air burst generating golem that anyone can use to deploy the parachute with. If some else wants to post a general or specific advisory on working on the projects as a whole, feel free.

Work on an air burst golem device to deploy the parachute per chute diag. (73 letters)
If I knew what I was doing I'd be dangerous.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Location: Either building something or kibitzing someone else's project. Mana, boats, and mills!
Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Timotheus on Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:42 am

Timotheus
Vel'akar

Location: Either building something or kibitzing someone else's project. Mana, boats, and mills!

Postby Hfar on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:17 am

I know I'm a bit late to this discussion, but why use a golem parachute instead of a regular parachute?
We shall settle this in the ancient way. WITH A CHILDREN'S CARD GAME!
Hfar
Dragon of the Nether

Postby minalia on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:24 am

it may sound silly but the main reason is this, we use golems in almost every tool we use so it is logical to think our characters would use those means to power such a life saving device. Pulling a rope might just not work, a machine on the other hand is reliable and it won't fail on you so long as you make sure its well kept. Ok, i know its just sounds weird but think of it as a compromise to make sure we added a extra precaution against possible nasty accidents that may occur due to some god like interference i will not name. ^^;
A survivalist should not be a pessimist, he should always be positive, happy and enjoying life more than anyone else because he understands that each minute of peace we have is precious and unique, and he never takes it for granted.
minalia
Dragon of the Nether

Postby cHr0n0sPh3r3 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:26 am

Hfar wrote:I know I'm a bit late to this discussion, but why use a golem parachute instead of a regular parachute?

A problem with early parachutes is that sometimes they failed to catch as the user dropped. A chute failure like that happens because the chute doesn't open properly or is opened too close to the ground. Mind you the latter still happens, all chutes need time to catch air before they slow a descent.

The air golem not only ensures a good opening, but it lets the user open somewhat closer to the ground, wouldn't recommend waiting to the last moment still though.
cHr0n0sPh3r3
Tainted

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Hfar on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:46 am

I guess I just kind of wonder if adding a mana powered machine to a parachute might...complicate things. Add another factor that could become a problem if it fails, y'know?
We shall settle this in the ancient way. WITH A CHILDREN'S CARD GAME!
Hfar
Dragon of the Nether

Postby minalia on Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:40 am

Will only fail if we deal with demons. Demons don't exist on the surface since no one is stupid enough to open a gate and restart the whole mess. Just pray damn hard we never have to come across a demonic infested zone. Might have to write off Damadi as a possible city ruin to explore because of this.
A survivalist should not be a pessimist, he should always be positive, happy and enjoying life more than anyone else because he understands that each minute of peace we have is precious and unique, and he never takes it for granted.
minalia
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Timotheus on Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:01 am

It's a sort of bilevel compromise.

The biggest engineering trick to a pack parachute is having the canopy deploy correctly once it has left the bag. This involves correct packing, layering, and sequence of layers. All of which we'd have to learn by trial and error. Employing an air driven golem actuator puts us back into the sort of engineering ground we know what we're doing in, inflating and pushing out.

Likewise, creating a parachute would require imagining all the details of how the different steps function and fit together. (This has been emphasized by Suntiger) The catching air to retard falling aspect is easy to connect to sails and cloaks, as is the best shape for them to work the way we want and having them rolled up in a bundle and then spread out when we want to use them. It's how to deploy them that gets a bit tricky to describe how we come up with the idea. Sails are reefed and then dropped using lines to keep their shape, umbrellas and tents use ribs and lanyards. We also have some knowledge of inflatable gas bags and balloons along with sausage casings and pipes. Finally, we've had experience with air sorcery, especially bursts of air that drive things through the air.

So in the interests of making things easy on our GMs (who like things to be mana powered) I felt a manually actuated (so the ferals can use it) air burst golem device to deploy the parachute from it's bag would make them more comfortable with the idea and save us all a lot of nit-picking over the details of how we invented everything.
Last edited by Timotheus on Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Postby Leonis on Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:04 am

As far as exploring... just sent in the Ferals with REALLY LONG Ropes... Or you could use big baskets on the end of ropes/cables if the ship is capable of hovering.
Leonis
Demon

Clan: Jaal'darya

Re: "Flying Squirrel" personal glider jumpsuit & parachute p

Postby Timotheus on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:43 pm

More detaiis of the proposed hang glider including how it could carry two pilots and a proposed launch / retrieval set up for on board the ship.

Timotheus
Vel'akar

Postby Leonis on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:05 am

Found a link that is good reading. So Wing suit/Squirrel suit requires Parachute, but may allow for the lack of glider use.

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/wingsuit-flying.htm
Leonis
Demon

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby Timotheus on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:37 am

Timotheus
Vel'akar

Postby Timotheus on Mon May 13, 2013 4:16 am

Timotheus
Vel'akar

Postby Timotheus on Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:44 am

Since this seems to be the design that we are going to be working with, may i suggest that we add a couple storage lockers to the bottom of the wing/body surface and a passenger carry bar there. This will lower the center of mass and help make the glider more stable in flight.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Postby Timotheus on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:03 am

Last edited by Timotheus on Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

PreviousNext

Return to Community Centre