The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Restoring Stone Harbor and the Lake Developement Plan

Postby Timotheus on Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:09 am

"Complete the Lake Development Plan and restore Stone Harbor as described" (72 letters)
The purpose of this project is the long term clearing and restoration of the ruined harbor facility that was found on the lake shore in I-18 and the establishment of other dock sites around the lake that can be used as base camps for hunting. timbering, and mineral searching exploration. By scattering these operations around the lake it is hoped that we can take the pressure off the area immediately around our colony and extend our knowledge of our surroundings.

The Stone Harbor site also has a great deal of potential as a jumping off point for expeditions to Hannen and other points to the west and the existing road, plains, and the previous route followed by the clan when we came here make it the start of the obvious path back there. And by being based at a separate structure away from the main colony with only a dirt road that can be easily hidden and primarily relying on lake travel for communications with Amaverda, Stone Harbor would provide an extra layer of protection against enemies who might try back tracking such an expedition.

The area around Stone Harbor would also be very suitable for a satellite agricultural site and possibly even a settlement for newly arrived colonists and over population from our main colony. The square to the north is ideal for setting up additional farm fields and there is plenty of timber and probably stone in the area as well. Add the naturally occurring mana plants to the west and the proximity of two large ruin sites for exploitation and you have a great location for an exploration and resource base.

I would suggest that the clearing and restoration of Stone Harbor and it's defenses be a time skip project along with the establishment of a lumbering operation (and possibly quarrying) in it's surrounding area. Building it's own sawmill, air or water powered, to produce finished boards and beams would certainly not be out of line. (Mill designs are either posted on this forum or can be requested by PM from Timotheus.)

Establishing a farm site in the square to the north (H-18) would also be possible if there was a need for the produce, along withe the necessary farm structures and possibly it's own gristmill, again air or water powered. Some medium strength defense works would be needed for the farmers to take shelter in if necessary. If the agricultural area is developed then stone roads should be built to connect the two squares.

Housing, in the form of dugouts and wooden shelters could be built within the protection zone of Stone Harbor if the need for them should arise due to the expected immigration rush at the end of the time skip. This would help control any problems that a population surge might cause and allow us to process the newcomers into our culture at a more palatable rate. Just think of it as our own Ellis Island.

Mana gardens should be established for the inhabitants in both squares if they are occupied and a mana park if it becomes a residential area.
Mineral surveying of the two squares and the ones surrounding them should also be included in the square development.

Of course, the development of Stone Harbor would have to be in conjunction with a larger program for the whole lake.
This includes adding three more large sailing boats and six towed barges for hauling lumber or stone on the lake.
It also means establishing three more docking sites besides Stone Harbor for lumbering, hunting, and inshore mineral prospecting around the lake at the spots shown on the map.

RED AREAS ARE RESIDENTIAL ZONES - YELLOW ARE ACTIVE FARM ZONES

Map details for the Lake project...
Stone Harbor is at I-18 and needs to be cleared and restored, then made defensible and eventually given a mana garden.
I-18 is also forested and would be a good site for selected lumbering and hunting.
H-18 is open plains and would be a good site for a agricultural site.
K-20 is a forested square and would be used for lumbering and hunting.
J-23 is a forested square and would be used for lumbering and hunting. It is also a good spot to connect to the road to the iron and gem mine tunnels in the southern hills. These tunnels should be explored further for additional gems and iron deposits (and whatever else we can find).
G-22 is a forested square close to the first agricultural square. It would be a good spot for close to home lumbering and light hunting.

For the most part these locations are not intended to be outposts, but rather just docks that boats can tie up to while work crews based off them can head inland to hunt, cut wood, or search for minerals or relics. For now only Stone Harbor has the potential for becoming a garrisoned location with long term residents and it's own agriculture and processing sites, and at the moment even it is not really intended to be more than a temporary outpost.

I hope this rewrite answers some of your concerns.
Last edited by Timotheus on Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 6 times in total.
If I knew what I was doing I'd be dangerous.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Location: Either building something or kibitzing someone else's project. Mana, boats, and mills!
Clan: Tei'kaliath

Re: Restoring Stone Harbor and the Lake Developement Plan

Postby Hetros on Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:54 am

Please find a way to post this in a 75 character form without referencing the forums D: that's not allowed any more! Send this to Thalar as your advice clarification!
Earth,fire,wind,and water all come together in perfect balance inside of a Smith's forge, this perfect harmony of elements can rarely be found anywhere else in existence.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Timotheus on Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:58 am

I was going to after I'd let everyone have their say.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Location: Either building something or kibitzing someone else's project. Mana, boats, and mills!

Postby Nacht on Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:37 am

As Hetros said. Check with Thalar first, you will probably have to reformulate your advice.

AFAIK the general accepted way of submitting complex plans is to post an EA for construction of the buildings and objects and send Thalar the diagrams via PM. The advice needs to list the construction in the order you want it done. The amount that gets done will then depend on the amount of votes.
Nacht
Summoner

Postby Timotheus on Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:25 am

Dear Madam Game Mistress,

In response to the wishes of several of my fellow clan members, i am submitting this proposal to you for your approval before posting it as an EA. They are greatly concerned about how it would be received and interpreted so they want it run by you first.

Certain elements - the farm fields in H-18 and the possible residences for immigrants are only there to be implemented if the external situation of the colony calls for it. Since there is no way for us to know what will happen in the next six or so years, I've put the possibilities in and leave it to your discretion.

There is a shorter version of the projects by square location below the map.

EA - "Complete the Lake Development Plan and restore Stone Harbor as described" (72 letters)

The purpose of this project is the long term clearing and restoration of the ruined harbor facility that was found on the lake shore in I-18 and the establishment of other dock sites around the lake that can be used as base camps for hunting. timbering, and mineral searching exploration. By scattering these operations around the lake it is hoped that we can take the pressure off the area immediately around our colony and extend our knowledge of our surroundings.

The Stone Harbor site also has a great deal of potential as a jumping off point for expeditions to Hannen and other points to the west and the existing road, plains, and the previous route followed by the clan when we came here make it the start of the obvious path back there. And by being based at a separate structure away from the main colony with only a dirt road that can be easily hidden and primarily relying on lake travel for communications with Amaverda, Stone Harbor would provide an extra layer of protection against enemies who might try back tracking such an expedition.

The area around Stone Harbor would also be very suitable for a satellite agricultural site and possibly even a settlement for newly arrived colonists and over population from our main colony. The square to the north is ideal for setting up additional farm fields and there is plenty of timber and probably stone in the area as well. Add the naturally occurring mana plants to the west and the proximity of two large ruin sites for exploitation and you have a great location for an exploration and resource base.

I would suggest that the clearing and restoration of Stone Harbor and it's defenses be a time skip project along with the establishment of a lumbering operation (and possibly quarrying) in it's surrounding area. Building it's own sawmill, air or water powered, to produce finished boards and beams would certainly not be out of line. (Mill designs are either posted on this forum or can be requested by PM from Timotheus.)

Establishing a farm site in the square to the north (H-18) would also be possible if there was a need for the produce, along withe the necessary farm structures and possibly it's own gristmill, again air or water powered. Some medium strength defense works would be needed for the farmers to take shelter in if necessary. If the agricultural area is developed then stone roads should be built to connect the two squares.

Housing, in the form of dugouts and wooden shelters could be built within the protection zone of Stone Harbor if the need for them should arise due to the expected immigration rush at the end of the time skip. This would help control any problems that a population surge might cause and allow us to process the newcomers into our culture at a more palatable rate. Just think of it as our own Ellis Island.

Mana gardens should be established for the inhabitants in both squares if they are occupied and a mana park if it becomes a residential area.
Mineral surveying of the two squares and the ones surrounding them should also be included in the square development.

Of course, the development of Stone Harbor would have to be in conjunction with a larger program for the whole lake.
This includes adding three more large sailing boats and six towed barges for hauling lumber or stone on the lake.
It also means establishing three more docking sites besides Stone Harbor for lumbering, hunting, and inshore mineral prospecting around the lake at the spots shown on the map.

RED AREAS ARE RESIDENTIAL ZONES - YELLOW ARE ACTIVE FARM ZONES

Map details for the Lake project...
The Lake Project includes the building of two additional boats for lake transportation and towable barges for lumber movement.

Stone Harbor is at I-18 and needs to be cleared and restored, then made defensible and eventually given a mana garden when seeds are available.

I-18 is also forested and would be a good site for selected lumbering and hunting.
A sawmil, wind or water powered, to produce finished planks and beams for transport to Amaverda would be a great idea. Lumber from the other lake sites would be taken there to be finished before being shipped to the colony. The cut offs would eventually be sent as firewood in the fall.

H-18 is open plains and would be a good location for an agricultural site.

K-20 is a forested square and would be used for lumbering and hunting.
J-23 is a forested square and would be used for lumbering and hunting.
It is also a good spot to connect to the road to the iron and gem mine tunnels in the southern hills. These tunnels should be explored further for additional gems and iron deposits (and whatever else we can find).
G-22 is a forested square close to the first agricultural square. It would be a good spot for close to home lumbering and light hunting.

For the most part these locations are not intended to be outposts, but rather just docks that boats can tie up to while work crews based off them can head inland to hunt, cut wood, or search for minerals or relics.

For now only Stone Harbor has the potential for becoming a garrisoned location with long term residents and it's own agriculture and processing sites, and at the moment even it is not really intended to be more than a temporary outpost.

Last edited by Timotheus on Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Postby Nacht on Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:34 pm

Let us know what she says... hope she replies before friday :/

(I assume you sent this by PM.)
Nacht
Summoner

Postby Hetros on Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:04 pm

"Expand Walls to include G21, add river gates, institute improvements Dvegar designs had" Hopefully this will work too :3
Earth,fire,wind,and water all come together in perfect balance inside of a Smith's forge, this perfect harmony of elements can rarely be found anywhere else in existence.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby vitus on Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:47 pm

Tim, if Thalar replys "OK" - you have my vote !
vitus
Summoner

Postby Timotheus on Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:56 pm

I have a bad feeling, considering the size and scope of this action that It will need at least six votes to be fully enacted. So all support is appreciated.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Postby Timotheus on Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:49 am

As has been suggested, if the lake project gets four votes by Friday, I'll put up a LA where a delegation will present our plants for restoring Stone Harbor and spreading our resource gathering around the lake to take the burden of our home square.

LA - "Show how the Lake Project moves activities from the city to around the lake" (75 letters)
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Return to Community Centre