The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Re: Timeskip Projects

Postby Timotheus on Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:24 am

James Rye wrote:
Tohya wrote:Building a remote settlement splits our mana bubble. Anyone staying at a remote settlement would have problems with mana deprivation. Even with all the mana plants we have now the main colony is still a low mana area, it would take even more mana plants to make a remote settlement livable.

I agree, harbors and maybe outposts we go here and there for some lumbering/expedition are one thing. living there splitting our warriors/active players will be more counterproductive than helpful in the end.

First. the actually living there is implied for faceless and immigrants, not player characters.
Two, I did mention the location getting its own mana field, which gives us a fall back position and/or a lure in front of us. More mana in more places.
Three, this is over the big time skip we're talking. No one is actually going to have to stay there for weeks at a time.
Four, the amount of time involved, at least for the initial part, is the same as for just clearing and restoring the harbor and setting it up for remote lumbering and hunting as it is for the more complex situation.
And Five, it addresses the problem of what we'll do if we do get a bum's rush of refugees from down below but doesn't create a huge problem in the colony itself if they don't.
If I knew what I was doing I'd be dangerous.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Location: Either building something or kibitzing someone else's project. Mana, boats, and mills!
Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby James Rye on Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:27 am

I doubt we can build that many mana pools, Timo. We even struggle with our own and that´s just one plus we´re pretty much the biggest drow community there is, expect the Mims maybe and they´re getting crazy cause they got mana deprivation.
If we dvivid our numbers/mana plants we´re just hurting our own pool we need to strengthen to get an old enough Mana Art Teacher up here to get new skills for our MS.
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Timotheus on Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:32 am

James Rye wrote:I doubt we can build that many mana pools, Timo. We even struggle with our own and that´s just one plus we´re pretty much the biggest drow community there is, expect the Mims maybe and they´re getting crazy cause they got mana deprivation.
If we dvivid our numbers/mana plants we´re just hurting our own pool we need to strengthen to get an old enough Mana Art Teacher up here to get new skills for our MS.

And I'm talking over a six year time skip and Sharon only knows how many trade caravans. We will eventually run out of places to conveniently plant mana seeds in Amaverda. Plus we're one square away from the natural mana plant cluster.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Location: Either building something or kibitzing someone else's project. Mana, boats, and mills!

Postby goblin6 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:41 am

3Power wrote:
goblin6 wrote:Really, how is the hunter's project any less important then anyone else? Sut'rinos and I already gave reasons why it needs to be done. You could at least give a counterpoint why it is not important.

If all you're after is building more pens, that can be folded in with the other building projects. If you're after breeding, I'm pretty sure that's automated. If there's something else here that you're after, by all means state it.

We're not building new pens, we're expanding existing ones. It would be nice to add that to the list so others know what's going on so they can support it if they choose so.
PTP-Ze'carga D'rak & Van'deer
goblin6
Vel'akar

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Nacht on Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:06 am

goblin6 wrote:
3Power wrote:
goblin6 wrote:Really, how is the hunter's project any less important then anyone else? Sut'rinos and I already gave reasons why it needs to be done. You could at least give a counterpoint why it is not important.

If all you're after is building more pens, that can be folded in with the other building projects. If you're after breeding, I'm pretty sure that's automated. If there's something else here that you're after, by all means state it.

We're not building new pens, we're expanding existing ones. It would be nice to add that to the list so others know what's going on so they can support it if they choose so.

Agreed. Since when do you call the shots on which EAs are good or not? Three people in this thread have already spoken in favor. The majority has spoken, no?
Nacht
Summoner

Postby Loniar on Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:24 am

Timotheus wrote:
James Rye wrote:I doubt we can build that many mana pools, Timo. We even struggle with our own and that´s just one plus we´re pretty much the biggest drow community there is, expect the Mims maybe and they´re getting crazy cause they got mana deprivation.

And I'm talking over a six year time skip and Sharon only knows how many trade caravans. We will eventually run out of places to conveniently plant mana seeds in Amaverda. Plus we're one square away from the natural mana plant cluster.

I don't see why we couldn't get a secondary mana pool over a few years. Remember, these aren't trees - plants reproduce much quicker. If we breed toward higher mana generation per plant, then we could establish a new mana pool using a smaller number of seeds rather than sacrificing seeds meant to replenish our colony's parks. Still, I'd advise against attempting to do this more than once over the time skip.... our colony will likely be expanding quite rapidly then.
Loniar
Tainted

Postby Leonis on Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:12 am

Actually from what I remember being explained in the comic, Mana plants are very odd little creatures. They only put out seeds ONCE. But do not die after putting out those seeds. They to trees in that they continue growing and producing mana after putting out the seeds, but will only put seeds out again under very specific circumstances.
Leonis
Demon

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby Wy'shira on Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:33 am

Leonis wrote:Actually from what I remember being explained in the comic, Mana plants are very odd little creatures. They only put out seeds ONCE. But do not die after putting out those seeds. They to trees in that they continue growing and producing mana after putting out the seeds, but will only put seeds out again under very specific circumstances.

Nope. They can produce seeds more than once. :)

From the Mana Conservation thread (paraphrased from a conversation with Thalar in skype - or was it via pm? - months ago):

(Update - Per Thalar: The mana plant grows from its seed, flowers,and releases seeds. It is then a mature plant, producing mana while retaining it's size and glowing flower bulb. It may produce more seeds under the right conditions. No further information about their life cycle will be forthcoming.)
What is done under compulsion is done without understanding. There is no more beauty in it than if one should whip and spur a dancer. -Xenophon (paraphrase). Follow your heart.

Wy'shira = Eloh.
Wy'shira
Summoner

Postby Tohya on Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:53 am

Timotheus wrote:
James Rye wrote:
Tohya wrote:Building a remote settlement splits our mana bubble. Anyone staying at a remote settlement would have problems with mana deprivation. Even with all the mana plants we have now the main colony is still a low mana area, it would take even more mana plants to make a remote settlement livable.

I agree, harbors and maybe outposts we go here and there for some lumbering/expedition are one thing. living there splitting our warriors/active players will be more counterproductive than helpful in the end.

First. the actually living there is implied for faceless and immigrants, not player characters.
Two, I did mention the location getting its own mana field, which gives us a fall back position and/or a lure in front of us. More mana in more places.
Three, this is over the big time skip we're talking. No one is actually going to have to stay there for weeks at a time.
Four, the amount of time involved, at least for the initial part, is the same as for just clearing and restoring the harbor and setting it up for remote lumbering and hunting as it is for the more complex situation.
And Five, it addresses the problem of what we'll do if we do get a bum's rush of refugees from down below but doesn't create a huge problem in the colony itself if they don't.

1) Mana deprivation is bad for all drow and is one of the reasons immigrants don't want to come to the surface. If the player characters have problems, it'll be worse for the npcs.

2) More mana in more places, is a good idea. but it will need several mana fields. We may want to think about surrounding ourselves with mana plant fields to make a low mana buffer around areas we normal mana in.

3-4) Being a big time skip project, depending on wording, it can very easily have people living there full time.

5) Expand into the logged out areas around us. As long as we take care to not create new over logged areas, it also fixes the problem with mana leaking away.
Tohya
Vel'akar

Postby Tohya on Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:14 am

We are a small drow surface community, there are several larger drow communities on the surface. Machike, Sha'shi, Mimanied...
Tohya
Vel'akar

Postby Timotheus on Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:36 am

Let's change the angle on this a bit, what of these action do you feel shouldn't be part of the time skip?

A - Clearing and restoration of Stone Harbor and it's defenses
B - Establishment of a farm site in the square to the north. Building it's own gristmill, air or water powered.
C - Establishment of light lumbering and possibly quarrying in the surrounding area. Building it's own sawmill, air or water powered.
D - Connecting the two squares with stone roads.
E - Establishing a Mana Garden in the harbor complex for it's inhabitants.
F - Mineral surveying of the two squares and the ones surrounding them.
G - Excess open housing to be built so that if the expected immigration rush comes they can be initially housed in dugouts and wooden shelters there rather than in the colony proper.
H - Development of a lake program to create three more large boats and establish three more docking sites for lumbering, hunting, and inshore mineral prospecting. (see map)
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Postby Nacht on Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:37 am

I am fine with all the above ideas. However most of them are too short for a 6 year timeskip. You could make them more general and get more done.
Nacht
Summoner

Postby James Rye on Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:39 am

Tohya wrote:

We are a small drow surface community, there are several larger drow communities on the surface. Machike, Sha'shi, Mimanied...

I meant in this particular area of the surface.^^
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Timotheus on Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:15 pm

Nacht wrote:I am fine with all the above ideas. However most of them are too short for a 6 year timeskip. You could make them more general and get more done.

The idea was that all of these were the elements included in a single overall program of establishing a lake based resource base. The EA would be something like "Lake Project- Build or fix docks,ships,and areas on shore per map and list" (74 letters)
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Postby Nacht on Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:17 pm

Timotheus wrote:
Nacht wrote:I am fine with all the above ideas. However most of them are too short for a 6 year timeskip. You could make them more general and get more done.

The idea was that all of these were the elements included in a single overall program of establishing a lake based resource base. The EA would be something like "Lake Project- Build or fix docks,ships,and areas on shore per map and list" (74 letters)

Ah. Perfect then :P
Nacht
Summoner

PreviousNext

Return to Community Centre