The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Which Light Armor Design Should be the New Hunter & Forester Armor?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:37 am

Option #1
7%
Option #2
26%
Option #3
59%
Option #4
7%

Total votes : 27

Light Armor Design Contest (Voting over!)

Postby Wy'shira on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:38 pm

Voting period: June 17th, 2012 - June 23th, 2012
Voting closes at exactly midnight EST on the evening of June 23rd.
-I do have permission from Hetros to continue this based off his old thread.

Voting Rules:
1. All PtP member votes are equal regardless of which class(es) they play.
2. You may discuss designs as long as you keep campaigning to a minimum.

The winning design will be worn by all hunters and foresters when they leave the city limits. Note: Reza may simplify whichever design is chosen.

Design Entries:
Option #1

Option #2
additional views: side, front

Option #3

Option #4

Additional Information:
Thalar wrote:Leather- and silk-based, allowing swift and unhindered motions without the weight of metal components (other than perhaps something protecting the chest).

Thalar wrote:Suggested inspirations: Lu'lianne in http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=7828 or Syphile http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=5967. Please also keep in mind that I included the "suggested inspirations" on purpose; those represent the degree of protection and material use you should aim for.
Last edited by Wy'shira on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:08 am, edited 8 times in total.
What is done under compulsion is done without understanding. There is no more beauty in it than if one should whip and spur a dancer. -Xenophon (paraphrase). Follow your heart.

Wy'shira = Eloh.
Wy'shira
Summoner

Re: Light Armor Design Contest (Hunter & Forester Armor)

Postby Wy'shira on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:38 pm

Information About the Contest:
Thalar's newest post has informed us that the hunters and foresters cannot use the MK2 armor or the same armor as explorers. The hunters and the foresters use "light armor", which is specific to those two classes. Here is the description from Thalar of what hunter armor should be like:

Leather- and silk-based, allowing swift and unhindered motions without the weight of metal components (other than perhaps something protecting the chest).

This Light Armor Design Contest will be a short contest with an entry period of one and a half weeks that will select a player-designed outfit for the hunters and explorers. (Thalar has stated that we cannot design class-specific armor. We can only design armor-specific armor.) I will be using the term "hunter" for the rest of the thread for simplicity, as they are the class that most often runs into danger.

Why this contest is necessary:
Hunters are constantly going out into the wild, and they need a method of protecting themselves. We currently have very little protection, as was shown in the latest hunter expedition (where we wore cloaks to protect ourselves from a possible kurr attack... oops?). My intention for this contest is to:
A. Involve the clan as much as possible in the choosing of a hunter and forester armor design.
B. Get the completed armors to the hunters and foresters as fast as reasonably possible.

This armor would be crafted by the Crafters, as it will be made of leather with no metal.

Rules:
1. Armor must be designed specifically for the hunters and foresters for this contest (or the old contest).
2. The armor must be entirely made of leather or silk (preferably leather as we don't have much silk) without any metal*.
3. Please have original creations that are not directly copied from another source of media (video games, books, tv shows) unless it's been changed significantly.
4. All votes from clan members, regardless of class or activity, will be counted as equal, because that cannot be monitored on the forums.
5. All submissions should be posted the here!
6. No submissions will be taken after the stated dates.
7. Less than 42 hours after the submission period ends, there will be a voting period of four days.

*A small amount of metal may be allowed on the chest area.

Please ask any questions here. I will be updating this post with new suggestions as they come. I will also be editing it for conciseness, but I wanted it to be up as quickly as possible.

Inspirations: Lu'lianne and Syphile from the main archives.

Here is some additional information from Thalar about the types of protection we need to include in our armor examples. She mentioned it both here and in Skype, so I assume it's important!:

Additional Information:
Thalar wrote:Please also keep in mind that I included the "suggested inspirations" on purpose; those represent the degree of protection and material use you should aim for.

&&
[6/8/12 6:41:37 AM] Thalar: i provided those "suggested inspirations" on purpose: because going too far away from those mean that you've misunderstood what i meant to show you

Dates:
Submission Period: June 9th - June 16th.
Voting Period: June 17th - June 23rd.
Last edited by Wy'shira on Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:56 am, edited 6 times in total.
What is done under compulsion is done without understanding. There is no more beauty in it than if one should whip and spur a dancer. -Xenophon (paraphrase). Follow your heart.

Wy'shira = Eloh.
Wy'shira
Summoner

Postby blackjack217 on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:59 pm

My thoughts:
Chest: either leather breastplate or a light chain shirt (not sure if this is allowed but it seems like light armor to me anyway) over silk shirt
Arms: leather gauntlets
Legs: leather greaves over silk leggings
Feet: leather boots
Head: leather helm, with gas mask capability.
Back: Cape
Anareth Nimaraidh
Ceterum autem censeo, Siyah-khorshed esse delendam!
blackjack217
Demon

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby ildorad on Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:51 am

Wy'shira wrote:2. The armor must be entirely made of leather or silk (preferably leather as we don't have much silk) without any metal*.
*A small amount of metal may be allowed on the chest area.

so studded leather is out of the question for anything but chest?
Stories are much tidier than real life. Stories have neat, happy endings, but all you ever really get is unfinished business.
alopecoid
Luck legion: "if you lose a penny; we will find it"
ildorad
Nether Seed

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Wy'shira on Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:04 am

Unfortunately yes, unless it's on the chest. You can use studded leather on other areas of the armor in the Medium Armor contest, though! This is because of Thalar's description of the armor type. :)

Wy'shira = Eloh.
Wy'shira
Summoner

Postby Leonis on Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:01 am

I have an idea, that actually doesn't use even very much Leather! It actually uses more Bone/Antler... Images (Bad images) will be coming ASAP.

Edit: Dang it... reading part of the rules makes we weep, but I shall work on something else as well.. Expect two Poor submissions from me.
Leonis
Demon

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby ildorad on Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:25 am

So how about the use of hide, bone, wood, plant, fish, and sexiness as materials on the parts other then chest to stud/reinforce?
Stories are much tidier than real life. Stories have neat, happy endings, but all you ever really get is unfinished business.
alopecoid
Luck legion: "if you lose a penny; we will find it"
ildorad
Nether Seed

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Wy'shira on Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:30 am

I'd assume it would be okay, as long as you keep in mind what Thalar said about the armor's design: "allowing swift and unhindered motions". There are also ways to treat leather to make it appear different and to make it firmer. As long as it looks practical for a hunter sneaking through the woods, I think it's okay! Nothing that would cause enough noise to startle a trideer or a kurr. ;)

The armor designs have to be practical enough to both provide excellent protection and to work well with the classes' roles.

Note: If you use unorthodox materials, please have them be easy-to-obtain materials. If yours wins the vote, we'll have to gather all the materials you used!

Wy'shira = Eloh.
Wy'shira
Summoner

Postby Hetros on Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:33 am

Wy'shira wrote:I'd assume it would be okay, as long as you keep in mind what Thalar said about the armor's design: "allowing swift and unhindered motions". There are also ways to treat leather to make it appear different and to make it firmer. As long as it looks practical for a hunter sneaking through the woods, I think it's okay! Nothing that would cause enough noise to startle a trideer or a kurr. ;)

The armor designs have to be practical enough to both provide excellent protection and to work well with the classes' roles.

Note: If you use unorthodox materials, please have them be easy-to-obtain materials. If yours wins the vote, we'll have to gather all the materials you used!

Leather, cloth, and bone people =P
Earth,fire,wind,and water all come together in perfect balance inside of a Smith's forge, this perfect harmony of elements can rarely be found anywhere else in existence.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Thalar on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:45 am

Please also keep in mind that I included the "suggested inspirations" on purpose; those represent the degree of protection and material use you should aim for.
That is not dead which may eternal lie, and with aeons even death may die.

Tar'shay Nimaraidh Tei'kaliath, on a boat, throwing things on the ground
Elif Nimaraidh Tei'kaliath, Colony Administrator, Tei'kaliath Prime Healer and Phantom Summoner
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Postby Leonis on Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:10 pm

I am personnally thinking of the freedom of movement typically provided to Native American Plains Indians who hunted bison and each other on the plains.

As I am a horrible artist I will be attempting to get artist friend attempting to use their computer magic modeling skills to come up with something like the idea.

My other/secondary thought is more of the "traditional" Ranger look. And I am honestly thinking that for a color scheme we might want several color schemes to help up blend into the woods depending on the season, Green and brown, and black/gray for Spring and Summer, More Brown and Orange/red/yellow/tan and grey/black during the Fall/Autumn, and then white for during the winter... if winters are rather snow heavy... Then if we plan on doing a fighting underground, maybe a rock grey...

My second idea is to get a different artist friend of mine to draw something similar to this for my "More traditional light armor" route.
http://community.istaria.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=49&pictureid=389
Leonis
Demon

Postby Leonis on Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:15 pm

And I have the basics of design! courtesy of someone with more graphic skills on the computer than I have.

For the size of the "Breastplate". Don't want something TOO small...

For the basic over all look. Though MAYBE not have all that decorative bit coming down from the shoulders... and maybe have a nice cape... >.> <.< Maybe. This is just the basic thought... Pants are made out of leather. Not hard/stiff leather, but leather. Helps to protect the legs when going through brush and bramble. I am thinking that the undershirt is also made out of not a stiff leather, but leather to add a bit of protection. Also the "Breast plate" would be made of Sinew and bone. All stuff harvestable from a Trideer... *grins* Need to use all bits of the Trideer!
Leonis
Demon

Postby Wy'shira on Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:54 pm

Your friend has some awesome modelling skills! And sure, the modelling method is fine. The length on the breastplate looks nice in the first image - is there any way you could make it that long in the full-length photo? Also, remember that we'll be possibly fighting giant kurrs, so more than just our chest will need protection. If there's any way to get some leather on the sides so it offers similar protection to Thalar's suggestions (here is one of her suggestions) that would be really awesome!

Wy'shira = Eloh.
Wy'shira
Summoner

Postby Leonis on Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:30 pm

My thought is to use a Leather "shirt" as well as Leather Pants... And when fighting Kurr... Stay at RANGE! Keep out of the range of its claws!

Edit: I will see what I can do about having the picture "edited" a little bit. Different top, to make it look more Leather/Hide like. And Full Length. I am thinking also Boots... High Laced Boots/Moccasins.
Leonis
Demon

Postby blackjack217 on Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:47 pm

Gotta admit it doesn't look much like armor to me. Also here is another reasource that has a bunch of armor types. Use this for insperation, especialy the helpful table that divvies armors into light medium and heavy. Its from the free bit D&D 3.5 players guide, the print version has some nice copyrighted illustrations which I will not be providing.
Anareth Nimaraidh
Ceterum autem censeo, Siyah-khorshed esse delendam!
blackjack217
Demon

Next

Return to Community Centre