The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Re: 5th Tir'ay style over Timeskip

Postby Tsuris on Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:22 am

James Rye wrote:Hm, i guess i´ll just add that title in my signature anyway. After all, its just my sig for the forums anyway and hasn´t to do anything inside the game.^^
And there probably no benefits being a master. Expect we get free beer or something then i´ll fight to death for the title. <.<

If you kill the current master in single combat do you take their place as master? }:3
Tsuris'Lok: Demon Shard - RH (retired), Moonless Age
Zan'nah: Highland Raider, Homefront Sealers Division - RH C1, Moonless Age

"It's me. You should have known better."
Tsuris
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Tibanna Vilrath on Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:23 am

i think so and after that an'jhali will put you in jail for killing your clanmate ^^
Aleria Vilrath - PTP
Tibanna Vilrath - RH C2
Tibanna Vilrath
Summoner

Postby James Rye on Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:24 am

Tsuris wrote:
James Rye wrote:Hm, i guess i´ll just add that title in my signature anyway. After all, its just my sig for the forums anyway and hasn´t to do anything inside the game.^^
And there probably no benefits being a master. Expect we get free beer or something then i´ll fight to death for the title. <.<

If you kill the current master in single combat do you take their place as master? }:3

Eeeeeeeehhh..... that´ll be up to poll 654 in the future to decide upon. ^^;
Yup definetly. ^^;

Dude, i don´t wanna die for a title, i kill for one, not get killed. D:
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Tsuris on Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:28 am

Eh, worth a shot *wee*

*Pokes Aleria* You'd visit me in jail right *heehee*

In all seriousness, I'm glad we have a plan to institute a new style for the heavy armor rather then just throwing away the armor so we can still do Ti'ray ^^;
Tsuris'Lok: Demon Shard - RH (retired), Moonless Age
Zan'nah: Highland Raider, Homefront Sealers Division - RH C1, Moonless Age

"It's me. You should have known better."
Tsuris
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Tibanna Vilrath on Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:14 am

sure i will visit you .... maybe i will even help you out of it .... maybe....
Aleria Vilrath - PTP
Tibanna Vilrath - RH C2
Tibanna Vilrath
Summoner

Postby Hfar on Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:03 am

Sounds interesting. Although if you're really serious about becoming the 5th Tir'ay master, please don't go on for two paragraphs pretending that you're joking.

As for ideas for the style, may I suggest something that emphasizes the strike, breaks, and holds over throws since? When you're heavy armor you don't want to be slinging your opponent around in a move that could knock you over as well. Also minimizes the role of knee strikes and instead focus on using fists, elbows, and arms. In heavy armor you want to focus on maintaining solid footing over getting a strike in (edit: by which I mean maintaining footing over getting a strike in with a kick). Of course this never stopped our Illharess. link (second to last panel) ^^;

What you really need is an expert on medieval European martial forms. Have you tried contacting Madea?

Tibanna Vilrath wrote:sure i will visit you .... maybe i will even help you out of it .... maybe....

Ha! Of course you do realize you'd have to brave the forests surrounding Ama'varde don't you?
Last edited by Hfar on Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
We shall settle this in the ancient way. WITH A CHILDREN'S CARD GAME!
Hfar
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Jonarus_Drakus on Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:34 am

Ah good! this is up! James, you have my (and Eh'rin's IC) support to make this happen! And you want the 'unofficial' title of 'master' of this new style? Well, that is perfectly fine by me, it certainly fits with my desire for the clan to advance its over-all skill in Tir'ay (including naming new masters for ALL of the forms - Eh'rin has her eye on the Hard-form master position :P ).

If there is ANYTHING I can do to help make this process easier, let me know (My on RL knowledge of martial arts is sadly limited, low-level Karate and thats about it).

In regards to the facilities for this project, I am working on a 'Tir'ay Academy' design... The base Idea, is pretty much set, I just have to transfer what I see in my mind to an actual picture that I can post up... I'll have to adjust it slightly to include the 5th form, but that is easy enough fortunately enough.

~JD
> J'hon D'rak Tei'Kaliath. D'rak Patriarch, KIA on the 12th day of the 3rd Moon
> Eh'rin D'rak Tei'Kaliath. D'rak Dev'ess: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=14467&p=765500#p758482
http://jonarus-drakus.deviantart.com/
Jonarus_Drakus
Vel'akar

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Durlyn Val'Sarghress on Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:45 pm

I totally support the idea of us forming a new Armored style of Tiray so that we can keep the new armor and weapons without sacrificing our traditional fighting style. The style should emphasize durability and quick heavy strikes I believe, basically we need to learn to use the armor as added defense as well as grow accustomed to moving in it so we can hit enemies hard and fast, perhaps in ways they wouldn't expect someone in a suit to move (not Matrix style stuff mind you, the armor probably won't allow for flying kicks and flips, we'll have to learn to stand our ground, take hits, and hit back hard and fast when an opening presents itself).

I'd like to suggest the name "Knight Style" for the new form btw

P.S. I also support the idea of the fifth Tiray master being male since it twas his idea :P, time's are a changin people! We Teikaliath are so progressive, makes me proud }:3

I mean, if Thalar allows a fifth master to be named I mean, seems only fair.
Durlyn Val'Sarghress
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Leonis on Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:16 pm

Technically... "Martial Arts" by definition are "combat arts". So yeah... Just learning and training with the armor and weapons should be good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical ... rtial_arts
Leonis
Demon

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby James Rye on Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:52 pm

Hfar wrote:Sounds interesting. Although if you're really serious about becoming the 5th Tir'ay master, please don't go on for two paragraphs pretending that you're joking.

True dat, but to my defense i was joking when i first wrote that. Then i watched a video without posting the thread yet, had the idea to check upon the Tir'ay history in the comic, notice all are women, got the brilliant (rofl) idea to let a male be the *Master* of the 5th Tir'ay style and added that line without much further thinking. XD
And now i refuse to edit my first post that way, that´d be cheating. And pacifists don´t cheat. Or me at least. 8P

@Rin
Thanks, once we get into the Micro part for the RPG, i´ll make sure to send ya a notice, you and others who got some idea what cool or effective (or both) moves we warriors can do in an heavy armor/with equipment. :3

@Dur
Name added. Hm, might go and ask Thalar about it. Though i guess her answer will be that this is a time skip project of the whole warrior caste, so no sole Master. I rather want the title for my signatur anyway than ingame where it´s not worth much but mostly trouble.^^

@All
Looks like most people are in favour for this idea/time-skip project, so i´ll leave this up till friday and then set up the poll for the name this new style should have after the time-slip.

So please make sure to think up some awesome names that we get a big enough list! I think atleast 8 different names should be fine for a start to pick a good name among them. *wee*
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Postby vitus on Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:17 pm

Ehm, sorry to step into the 5th style, but as an non-native Telk I would suggest to allow the immigrants, that came in the first wave (like me) to be able to learn the basic Tir´ay till the next time skip, what do you think, folks ?
vitus
Summoner

Postby James Rye on Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:55 pm

vitus wrote:Ehm, sorry to step into the 5th style, but as an non-native Telk I would suggest to allow the immigrants, that came in the first wave (like me) to be able to learn the basic Tir´ay till the next time skip, what do you think, folks ?

That could become one of the reasons to build the Tir'ay dojo/academie: To have a separate building to teach the many non-native Twis our martial art, the core of our culture, what remained from our old city/past so to say.
Then all non-native Teis can pick a style too after the time-skip!!!
Rin, you need to send that reason to Thalar in a pm when you show her your academy design.
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Meckruco on Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:05 pm

i support the idea of finding a style that works with the heavier armor. if you read up on the bit that the Illharess wrote up (in the form of a page for it) it states that the balance style came about from a warrior that needed an adaptable fighting style that combined hard and soft styles. performece just reminds me of canatrpa or whatever that brazialn style is called that looks like danceing.

and as current tir'ay camp i give my ok to forming a new style. you just need to fight me to see if it will work. *pops neck and cracks knuckles*
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum" If you desire peace, prepare for war.
House the of Will of Fire
Fourth Tir'ay Champ is Meck the bear killer.
Meckruco
Vel'akar

Postby Sil'Thara on Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:35 am

Two sides of me are battling it out on this idea. Here's what the two sides are saying, in a nutshell.

The compromising side of me: It's not Balance Tir'ay but ok. Let's do it. It beats not practicing Tir'ay at all.

The stubborn ass side of me: It's not the style I want to pursue. I want to pursue and eventually MASTER Balance Tir'ay.

Basically, a love/hate relationship with the idea. It's rare for me to be so willful and stubborn about what I want to do. Normally, I just go with whatever happens in life. I will vote for the project during the timeskip but it's definitely not the style I want to pursue.
Sil'Thara
Nether Spawn

Postby Jonarus_Drakus on Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:58 am

Sil'Thara wrote:Two sides of me are battling it out on this idea. Here's what the two sides are saying, in a nutshell.

The compromising side of me: It's not Balance Tir'ay but ok. Let's do it. It beats not practicing Tir'ay at all.

The stubborn ass side of me: It's not the style I want to pursue. I want to pursue and eventually MASTER Balance Tir'ay.

Basically, a love/hate relationship with the idea. It's rare for me to be so willful and stubborn about what I want to do. Normally, I just go with whatever happens in life. I will vote for the project during the timeskip but it's definitely not the style I want to pursue.

I think it's important to note that this 'new' form is not intended to ever replace any of the 'traditional' forms. Character sheets wont start cropping up with this 'new' style. It is an in-game warrior-only style that will very rarely (if at all) be practiced outside of warrior training (and actual combat). Indeed, I'm in a very similar position to you on this matter... I believe that this new style will benefit the warriors (and in turn the clan as a whole), and deserves to be done well... But My character is heavily dedicated to a traditional sub-style of Hard Form, and is determined to master it fully, in the hope of actually becoming a teacher of Tir'ay...

But again, it comes down to separating the 'traditional' forms (for RP purposes and the like), and the 'new' form (In-game and trade specific).

~JD
> J'hon D'rak Tei'Kaliath. D'rak Patriarch, KIA on the 12th day of the 3rd Moon
> Eh'rin D'rak Tei'Kaliath. D'rak Dev'ess: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=14467&p=765500#p758482
http://jonarus-drakus.deviantart.com/
Jonarus_Drakus
Vel'akar

Clan: Beldrobbaen

PreviousNext

Return to Community Centre