The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Mandatory 1 hour per week Ti'ray practice: y/n?

Yep, sounds good.
37%
Nope, stupid idea.
56%
I have a better idea! (post it!)
7%

Total votes : 27

Ti'ray solution: Mandatory practice law

Postby Hetros on Thu May 24, 2012 6:42 pm

Okay, I know a lot of people are butt hurt over the fact that the heavy armor impedes the use of Ti'ray enormously, and so I'm proposing this.

We put in the LA the following-
"Law: Mandatory Ti'Ray practice for all citizens, 1 hour a week."

This will keep Ti'ray alive, and allow us to fully field a militia in times of need (such as when the lion's share of our military has left to reinforce the dvegar ehn?) it will allow it to remain a part of our culture, to train the new incoming colonists and refugees to the surface who will bolster our ranks, and to keep our selves fit, healthy, and able to act properly here on the surface.

We give the Mk2 armor to the hunters, the new mana spec armor to the mana specs, and the warriors will keep the Mk3 armor, and possibly we can invent a new more limited form of Ti'ray for their use while in heavy armor.

Thoughts? Ideas?
Last edited by Hetros on Fri May 25, 2012 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Earth,fire,wind,and water all come together in perfect balance inside of a Smith's forge, this perfect harmony of elements can rarely be found anywhere else in existence.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Re: Ti'ray solution: Mandatory practice law

Postby Catriana on Thu May 24, 2012 6:45 pm

I'm not exactly for forcing clan members into doing Ti'ray. It should be something folks want to do.
“The most I can do for my friend is simply be his friend." -Henry David Thoreau
Catriana
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Hetros on Thu May 24, 2012 6:48 pm

Catriana wrote:I'm not exactly for forcing clan members into doing Ti'ray. It should be something folks want to do.

We are on the surface, it's dangerous, this is an unarmed defensive technique with a variety of styles. The English DOMINATED Europe with their bow men because they established mandatory archery practice laws. We can do the same with Ti'ray.
Earth,fire,wind,and water all come together in perfect balance inside of a Smith's forge, this perfect harmony of elements can rarely be found anywhere else in existence.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Wy'shira on Thu May 24, 2012 6:51 pm

I agree with this because it's very practical. It also allows all the classes to get armor as fast as possible, eliminating the idea of the MK3 being tossed aside where no one can use it. In addition, Ti'ray is a clan cultural thing. The only reason I can see for people not wanting to learn ti'ray would be for personal RP reasons, but refusing clan bonuses to strength (no matter how small) for RP reasons would be too micro a way of looking at the game. People can RP as if they don't know the techniques regardless of if their actual characters get that hand-to-hand combat + in-game.

Also, this preserves a wonderful part of our culture without sacrificing macro game efficiency (perhaps even helping it). It seems like a win/win scenario.
Last edited by Wy'shira on Thu May 24, 2012 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is done under compulsion is done without understanding. There is no more beauty in it than if one should whip and spur a dancer. -Xenophon (paraphrase). Follow your heart.

Wy'shira = Eloh.
Wy'shira
Summoner

Postby Tsuris on Thu May 24, 2012 6:51 pm

I like this idea, this way, everyone in the clan can learn it, and it won't be dying out, this way if any of our non combatants get attacked, they won't be utterly massacred
Tsuris'Lok: Demon Shard - RH (retired), Moonless Age
Zan'nah: Highland Raider, Homefront Sealers Division - RH C1, Moonless Age

"It's me. You should have known better."
Tsuris
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Hetros on Thu May 24, 2012 6:51 pm

Wy'shira wrote:I agree with this because it's very practical. It also allows all the classes to get armor as fast as possible, eliminating the idea of the MK3 being tossed aside where no one can use it. In addition, Ti'ray is a clan cultural thing. The only reason I can see for people not using it would be for RP reasons, but refusing clan bonuses to strength (no matter how small) for personal RP reasons would be too micro a way of looking at the game. People can RP as if they don't know the techniques regardless of if their actual characters get that hand-to-hand combat + in-game.

Also, this preserves a wonderful part of our culture without sacrificing macro game efficiency (perhaps even helping it). It seems like a win/win scenario.

Thank you Wy'shira :D that's pretty much my reasoning x3
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Catriana on Thu May 24, 2012 6:53 pm

Hetros wrote:
Catriana wrote:I'm not exactly for forcing clan members into doing Ti'ray. It should be something folks want to do.

We are on the surface, it's dangerous, this is an unarmed defensive technique with a variety of styles. The English DOMINATED Europe with their bow men because they established mandatory archery practice laws. We can do the same with Ti'ray.

Understandable. All the same, I am not for forcing the clan to participate in a clan art that has always been optional and part of our culture instead of a militaristic venture. If you wish to form a militia and have them train in Ti'ray fine, but forcing everyone to do so doesn't sit well with me.
Catriana
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Pariel on Thu May 24, 2012 6:55 pm

I support Catriana, for what already has been said. Plus, mandatory laws are actually something that requires much more ponderation. THere could be consequences not yet foreseen.
"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one." - Marcus Aurelius.
Pariel
Sharen Errand Boy

Clan: Sharen

Postby Hetros on Thu May 24, 2012 7:01 pm

Pariel wrote:I support Catriana, for what already has been said. Plus, mandatory laws are actually something that requires much more ponderation. THere could be consequences not yet foreseen.

How, pray tell, could taking a single hour out of everyone's week, effect things badly? If anything it would improve our defenses, allow us to defend ourselves from sudden attack. This is too important to allow "roleplay" to get in the way of.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Catriana on Thu May 24, 2012 7:34 pm

It's not about roleplay, it's about choice. People choose their jobs, they choose to go on expeditions. Everyone in the clan has choices. You are removing that choice by forcing everyone to learn Ti'ray, an art that was never mandatory, that has always been a part of our culture and not a part of martial law. In addition, it pushes us to be a more militaristic clan, which I am staunchly against.

If you want the clan to have non-warrior defenses, build a militia, that is what they are for. If you want to push this idea, go ahead, I just won't be voting for it and if no one else does, I will offer a counter vote encouraging a trained militia instead, where people who want to volunteer to specialize in Ti'ray can do so.

So there you have it: I am against your stance in forcing everyone to learn Ti'ray. However, I do encourage a volunteer force/militia of unlimited size and class to specialize in Ti'ray should there be an attack. You asked for 'better ideas', that's mine.
Catriana
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Tsuris on Thu May 24, 2012 7:39 pm

If it's mandatory for everyone... does that mean the faceless will have to join? having all of those guys know Tir'ay may help XD

Tsuris
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Wy'shira on Thu May 24, 2012 7:40 pm

Why do we need a militia if we can just switch classes to warrior if needed and be more efficient that way?

I'd imagine the faceless would also learn ti'ray, which would make all of them able to fight as well.
What is done under compulsion is done without understanding. There is no more beauty in it than if one should whip and spur a dancer. -Xenophon (paraphrase). Follow your heart.

Wy'shira = Eloh.
Wy'shira
Summoner

Postby Catriana on Thu May 24, 2012 7:40 pm

Wy'shira wrote:Why do we need a militia if we can just switch classes to warrior if needed and be more efficient that way?

I'd imagine the faceless would also learn ti'ray, which would make all of them able to fight as well.

Why do we need to make Ti'ray mandatory when everyone can just switch classes if needed?
Catriana
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Tsuris on Thu May 24, 2012 7:48 pm

Catriana wrote:
Wy'shira wrote:Why do we need a militia if we can just switch classes to warrior if needed and be more efficient that way?

Why do we need to make Ti'ray mandatory when everyone can just switch classes if needed?

because this way it's established that everyone knows it, and is trained well in it, at this point, not everyone knows Tir'ay

your worry about losing freedom by devoting a single hour to something like this seems rather silly, we'll still be able to do everything else, but we'll just have an established time period when we stop and train. If people are on an expedition, then they won't participate seeing as they have other things going on, but having the entire clan have at least basic training in Tir'ay could help us in the long run, as it being mandatory means EVERYONE including the faceless, and having them be able to do SOMETHING useful will be a good thing.

EDIT: Also, people can't switch classes if they are in the middle of being attacked, so having our healers or farmers or something know some self defense could be useful

Tsuris
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Wy'shira on Thu May 24, 2012 7:51 pm

In my opinion, it would serve four causes.

1. Preserves the cultural aspect of Ti'ray in our culture.
2. Makes a compromise with the current warrior debate, allows the warriors to not chuck out the new MK3 armor, and lets the MK2 armor go to the MS or hunters to protect them. This helps the whole clan, because the MS and hunters need new armor and fast. (The kurr attack may not have been deadly if the MSs had been wearing armor, and right now the hunters are going after the kurr with cloaks and barely any protection - wasting the MK3 armor hurts everyone, but it has been discussed because people favor ti'ray instead. Part of the mentioned warrior debate involves using the MK2 for the warriors and not using the MK3 because of Ti'ray reasons.) Everyone will still be trained in Ti'ray, which allows all warriors to use the MK3 without worry.
3. If ever an expedition was out in the wild and became attacked, every single member, regardless of class, would be able to efficiently protect themselves. A militia would not be able to help with this, and expedition members can't switch classes.
4. All the faceless will be able to protect themselves and the clan in case of attack.

Wy'shira = Eloh.
Wy'shira
Summoner

Next

Return to Community Centre