The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Re: Mana Conservation Plan, reference topic, Save Our Mana

Postby Timotheus on Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:01 pm

Anybody else want to post the parks EA since I got depicted? Park Project Proceeds, slaves and volunteers add trees, shelters and planters

I went ahead and posted it.
If I knew what I was doing I'd be dangerous.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Location: Either building something or kibitzing someone else's project. Mana, boats, and mills!
Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Timotheus on Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:38 am

The PtP2 EAs about Mana Plants, Drain Rats and Fuzzy Bugs

Timotheus
Vel'akar

Location: Either building something or kibitzing someone else's project. Mana, boats, and mills!

Postby Timotheus on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:06 pm

Depending on how today's (June 27) EA is worded, there will be two or three more steps to finishing the parks project. We need to get the shelters and (more importantly) the raised mana plant masonry planters installed and then plant some mana plants in them. After that it becomes a case of watching and observing how things unfold. We also need to start a new batch of seedlings growing in the greenhouse and to transplant some of the mature plants that have seeded into planters to be moved into homes and public places.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Postby Timotheus on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:54 pm

"Build shelter and planters (see forum) in test park and add mana plants"
More than six masonry planters can be built.
( Note to Game Master - If the shelter and planters are already built or are being deleted, go right to planting mana seeds.

Timotheus
Vel'akar

Postby Hetros on Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:10 am

Until we can start getting things done, going to try something. Right now the park should take precedent, but I want to observe the interactions between the 3 creatures, get some hard facts, see if putting up a simple "observe how they all interact" will work -.- it's vague, but it might give us some concrete data on the life cycle. Anybody who can be spared from the park projects to help out would be appreciated.
Earth,fire,wind,and water all come together in perfect balance inside of a Smith's forge, this perfect harmony of elements can rarely be found anywhere else in existence.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Timotheus on Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:21 pm

My working plan for the park,
"My plan right now is to try and coax them into a controlled test plot in one of the parks. It will be wooded (young trees, but still there) and the mana plants growing in a large masonry planter. This way the rats can be kept somewhat apart from the area around them, but still close enough to be interactive with Drow in the area.

The idea is to hopefully have both fuzzy bugs and drain rats invade the planter so we can watch their interaction while at the same time causing the drain rats to become used to having Drow around them. Then they shouldn't attack unless actually threatened and become more like park squirrels, still wild animals but tolerant of us if we leave them alone.

If it works we then start planting mana plants all around the park."

However, we just received a great deal of new confirmed information on the mana plant - drain rat ecology in the June 27 EA, so this may alter the plans depending on if my interpretation is correct.

Question sent to Thalar,
"Dear Madam Game Mistress,

I'm probably rather dense on this, but I'm getting an impression from the latest EA and all the previous ones that we are not supposed to transplant mana plants. That is, they are supposed to stay where they first grow. Once they've rooted chances are there will be a drain rat colony under them and any attempt to dig them up will cause a defensive action on the rat's part.

The drain rats themselves move very stealthily and are rarely seen normally on the surface, preferring tunnels underground, and if the tunnels are not disturbed they will leave us alone. So light weeding of the mana beds should be alright and walking on paths between the beds/planters wouldn't disturb them.

Pulling mana plants up by their roots or digging them up however should be avoided. Other than that there should be no problems with mana plant fields and their attendant drain rat colonies so long as we treat the fields with care and don't dig them up.

Have I got it right?"

The Mana-festo will be updated for next week.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Postby Timotheus on Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:36 pm

I have received answers to the mana related questions from our Game Mistress. I believe most loose ends to this problem are now resolved and all that remains is implementing the solutions that have been presented.

In response to the question posed above, the reply is, "That looks like a reasonable assessment of the situation, yes."

In a different PM I'd asked about the nature of the drain rats' attack, "The big question being is their (the drain rats) draining effect something they seem to have some control over or is it just a continuous effect in their vicinity? The importance is could we teach them to be tolerant of our presence so we could coexist in the parks. That is, if we don't try and dig up their burrows they'll leave us alone."

The reply is, "As for your other PM, you've seen drain rats in close vicinity of drow without anyone's mana getting drained. It would be reasonable to assume the drain effect is a defensive measure provoked by threats and not something that happens continually. You've never been shown a drain rat physically attacking anyone."

A revised Mana-festo will be posted shortly.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Postby Timotheus on Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:24 pm

Updated Mana-festo

Status of mana related projects, 7/3/2012.
(Updated after latest reply from Thalar)

Mana Meter...
Object = to make a device to measure the relative strength of mana fields.
Project has been approved by Thalar and Kern. Engineering and design are done, project is awaiting necessary gems in next shipment from Dvergur.

Surrounding Area Mana Retention Project...
Object = Restore the mana retention capability of the forested area around Ama'verde
The Forestry guidelines were accepted by Angeli and made clan policy in the LA on 4/13/2012. This should stop the degradation of our surrounding forests and help restore them.

FORESTED LAND CONSERVATION RULES
Some possible rules for Lumbering
1 - Never remove more than 20% of the trees in a square.
2 - Tree cutting will be done selectively in small clearings except along roads.
3 - Trees and brush can be clear cut back from the sides of a road up to 50 meters.
4 - Trees and Brush can be clear cut back from walls and settlements up to 200 meters.
5 - Tree restoration should take place when a covering forest is reduced by more than 15%.

Notes...
Each tree of old growth forest would produce two or three logs for processing.
Each tree of new growth forest would produce one or two logs for processing.
Each log would produce 40 planks of lumber and 0.2 cords of firewood, or 20 ft3 of charcoal.

Local Mana Parks Status...
Object = build five local mana parks within the town walls of Amaverde.
Five sites selected for best effect - done.
trees planted at sits, athletic areas and pathways are included - done.
Masonry planter boxes and shelters to be built - awaiting answer in EA
When masonry planter boxes are finished plant mana seeds in them in one park for environment test. (or all five)
Whenever the crafters can get around to it, add additional planters shaped like animals and other cute creatures along park trails.
(Thalar has said she wouldn't mind if we were to draw up a few examples and would send them to Reza.
Whether he shows any of them would be up to him.)
Once Mana Plant Ecology is worked out, establish mana plant beds in the parks and in all the masonry planters.
(This seems to have been established to the point where there is no reason to hold back on planting seeds in one park for a trial any longer.
I still feel that using the controlled environment idea (the raised planters by the shelters) would be very useful for observation purposes.)

Fountains and statues can be added to various parks by EA actions at the clan members discretion to honor individuals or actions.

Mana Plant Growing...
Object = Grow a large number of mana plants for distribution.
It now appears best not to transplant mana plants grown in the ground because they could have a drain rat colony under them.
So transplanting them should be reserved mostly for greenhouse raised mana plants, meaning the already grown mana plant fields are pretty much stuck where they are.

If possible, we should check with our feral allies to make sure the area of the field is unoccupied by drain rats and then replant those mana plants to the parks and Green House.
The remaining Fields should have trees planted around them and made into another mana reserve.

For future indoor planters, plant the seeds in the planters in the greenhouse and raise them there until they have seeded once.
Then they will be ready to be placed in private homes and public buildings.
(Note - collecting seeds from plants grown in the greenhouse would be a great deal easier than outdoors.)

For now, have one of the ferels check to see if a group of grown mana plants is safe before digging them up to transplant them to a planter. Check the plants for bugs as well.

Mana Plant Ecology...
Object = Learn about the ecology of mana plants, establish a setting for study.
(While still a good idea for the long run, most of our questions seem to be answered.)

General knowledge concerning mana plants and drain/mana rats as per EAs and PMs from Thalar:
The mana plant grows from its seed, flowers,and releases seeds.
It is then a mature plant, producing mana while retaining it's size and glowing flower bulb.
It may produce more seeds later when conditions are right.
No further information about their life cycle will be forthcoming.

Mana plants grow in low light conditions and do not compete well with normal plants.
Fuzzy bugs eat mana plants. Drain rats eat fuzzy bugs.
The presence of drain rats acts as a sort of fertilizer for mana plants and they grow stronger and faster.
(Theory - fuzzy bugs absorb mana from eating mana plants, drain rats concentrate the mana from eating fuzzy bugs, concentrated mana from drain rats enhances mana plants.)

Once grown it's probably best not to try and dig up or otherwise disturb mana plants. Once they've rooted chances are there will be a drain rat colony under them and any attempt to dig them up will cause a defensive action on the rat's part. This defensive mana draining is a response to being threatened and will not normally occur as long as the drain rats feel secure. The drain rats themselves are relatively passive and reclusive, moving very stealthily and normally rarely seen on the surface, preferring their tunnels underground. So if the tunnels are not disturbed they will leave us alone.

Light weeding of the mana beds should be alright and walking or sitting on paths between the beds/ground planters wouldn't disturb them, although pulling mana plants up by their roots or digging around them should be avoided. Other than that there should be no problems with mana plant fields and their attendant drain rat colonies so long as we treat the fields with care.

If it proves difficult to establish a stable mana plant ecology in the parks, we may have to import a base sample.
Take 4-5 portable planters with transplanted mana plants to square I-17 where there are naturally occurring mana plants in the forest.
Leave the portable planters in the vicinity of the native plants for a few weeks.
Check to see if the local associated species have moved into the planters.
Relocate the planters to the colony for in-depth study and as a base environment for larger mana plant beds.

Mana Plant Improvement...
Object = create stronger mana plants
Relocate some of the healthiest looking plants to the main greenhouse.
Plant old and new seeds in planters in the main green house.
Cross pollinate the strongest plants to create better species.
At the same time, try to acclimate mana rats so that they can tolerate Drow better.

Gardener Class Workers...
Object = create a class of non-player characters that will take care of the trees in the parks and the mana plants in the nursery gardens, planters, and plant beds around town and in the parks. They will be trained and equipped to deal with mana rats and other environmental hazards involved in taking care of the plants. Actual research and development would still be the responsibility of the player characters.
Last edited by Timotheus on Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Postby Timotheus on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:34 am

The mana park project is now on hiatus for awhile. We will have to await more seeds or new developments. If anyone gets really itchy they can plant some trees around the current mana plant fields.

However, volunteers to watch the test park and take care of the trees and mana plants ( and watch for drain/mana rats and fuzzy bugs) would be a good idea. This would be a semi permanent job with a limited amount of work, so I suppose it wouldn't stop you from voting on other EAs.

So If someone wants to put up a EA for park mangers, limit it to no more than five people voting for it.

Perhaps an EA that says we're going to rope off the test park to let the plants get stable, then a LA with the same people volunteering as park managers to take care of the parks would be the way to get the ball rolling..
Last edited by Timotheus on Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Postby Hetros on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:41 am

Next step is the gathering of seeds and then the planting of the existing mana plants in pots... I think we're seeing that it's necessary to get mana rats into the parks as well >_> we'll see if they migrate there naturally or not.

if we can do that, we need to start cross polinating these suckers properly :P
Earth,fire,wind,and water all come together in perfect balance inside of a Smith's forge, this perfect harmony of elements can rarely be found anywhere else in existence.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Timotheus on Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:40 am

That's the plan, natural is better. But if nothing shows in a few weeks we'll rethink it. I'm assuming we need mana plants growing before we get mana/drain rats.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Postby Leonis on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:45 am

Tim, I did a bit of back reading.... apparently the Mana plants grow best in LOW Light.... So that means we need CURTAINS for the Greenhouse!
Leonis
Demon

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby Timotheus on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:56 am

There's roll down mat shades as part of the design. I just can't draw them all in. I only show a couple token ones to indicate they are there.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Postby Timotheus on Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:42 am

I will be starting a new topic for the next phase of the Save Our Mana Project. The details will be explained there but essentially we'll need 5 or 6 volunteers to put up a EA every few weeks saying they are checking the park and mana fields for signs of new mana plants growing, the old plants seeding, fuzzy bug infestations, or drain rat habitation. The wording will be worked out to fit the 75 letter limit later. Any of the volunteers can put up the EA but enough of the volunteers MUST vote for it to pass at that time.

This is so we can keep track of the progress of the park and mana plants and be ready to expand things when we can. So it is important and the sort of project that newcomers could easily handle.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Postby Timotheus on Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:41 am

Well, this week's EA was certainly eventful for the Mana Project (8/1/2012).

For right now though, it would probably be best if everyone held off on mana plant advices and concentrated on trade goods and the military aspects. As soon as we've checked on the test park again we can discuss the steps to use these new resources, but so far I haven't had any volunteers to be mana managers and we should be careful about just scattering all this bounty around without some form of oversight in mind.

The other four parks also have to have their final preparations made before the seeds are planted and we should have a little better idea what these mana vines are all about before we cover our houses with them.

If you just can't wait though, say something like, "Build shelters and planters in the other parks and then plant seeds" (67 letters)
Timotheus
Vel'akar

PreviousNext

Return to Community Centre