The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Re: Mana Conservation Plan, reference topic, Save Our Mana

Postby Loniar on Wed May 02, 2012 8:55 pm

So the action didn't pass last week, but we'll change that this week, won't we? (yes we will! ;) )

On account of some shoutbox advise we got a few days ago, I'll be tweaking the action a little. My current recommendation is "search nearby forest for saplings&seeds; put collected saplings in wet soil" (75 letters). How does that sound to you guys? I'll probably wait until late tonight to post whatever we come up with.
Loniar
Tainted

Postby benuminister on Wed May 02, 2012 8:57 pm

Well I have a free vote this turn so I guess I can easily put it there.
Tei'Kaliath: Biel (Bay-elle) Tel'mari, Forge Master and Novice at the Hammer Toss

EA process:
Friday: Post -> Saturday: Discuss and Edit -> Sunday: Final Draft

The Al'dun, more then just another family.
benuminister
Vel'akar

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Loniar on Wed May 02, 2012 9:46 pm

The more votes the better! *cheers*
Loniar
Tainted

Postby Timotheus on Wed May 09, 2012 6:13 pm

Well, I haven't heard anything from Thalar on the subject one way or another, so I'm going to assume no news is good news. I think I'm going to put up both a EA and a LA for this project, although I'm willing to let someone else volunteer for face time. The EA will be "Begin first local mana park, build shelter, field, plant trees (see illust)" (75 letters) while the LA will be "Here's a model of our local mana park design done in ceak (see forum illst)" (75 letters)

They can have some fun with that.
If I knew what I was doing I'd be dangerous.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Location: Either building something or kibitzing someone else's project. Mana, boats, and mills!

Postby Loniar on Wed May 09, 2012 8:06 pm

Timotheus wrote:Well, I haven't heard anything from Thalar on the subject one way or another, so I'm going to assume no news is good news. I think I'm going to put up both a EA and a LA for this project, although I'm willing to let someone else volunteer for face time. The EA will be "Begin first local mana park, build shelter, field, plant trees (see illust)" (75 letters) while the LA will be "Here's a model of our local mana park design done in ceak (see forum illst)" (75 letters)

They can have some fun with that.

Okay! After we do that, can we try to use the letter space to utilize our slave labor force for it? The overseers want a chance to put their workers to good use. =)

(except, what does "ceak" mean?)
Loniar
Tainted

Postby Wy'shira on Wed May 09, 2012 10:31 pm

I was going to be a bit of a smart-ass and post a definition I found off of google, but I could not find one. Alas! I think it's very awesome that you guys are using the slaves to work on this project. The first park will be done in no time! :)
What is done under compulsion is done without understanding. There is no more beauty in it than if one should whip and spur a dancer. -Xenophon (paraphrase). Follow your heart.

Wy'shira = Eloh.
Wy'shira
Summoner

Postby Loniar on Wed May 16, 2012 8:23 pm

Alright! Looks like we need one more week to get the greenery for the park sorted. So save your EA votes this week for it, wonderful treefriends?

Anyone can post this time around if they want a feature, since Tim's going to be MIA with the hunters and I've already posted these actions so many times. All we need to do is mention that we are 1) continuing building the park, 2) using slave labor, and 3) building the shelters along with planting (so things get done faster). Make sure it gets up by late tonight or early tomorrow, else I'll have to submit it myself to make sure it's up before most people use up their EA votes!
Loniar
Tainted

Postby Loniar on Thu May 24, 2012 2:12 am

Alright, back to the forests to find more saplings and seeds, everyone! 1/5 parks planted. I'll PM Thalar to see if we need to do all 5 parks before the timeskip or not.

Another open week for posting the park option! Just make sure you add in the usage of slaves and don't put down specific map coordinates (or it'd be counted as an expedition). I'll post something Thursday afternoon if one of y'all doesn't. =)
Loniar
Tainted

Postby Leonis on Thu May 24, 2012 2:40 am

Actually, shouldn't the few mana plant seeds that you all just rescued be planted? Give them the most time to grow? Just my two ada. I mean getting all the parks done is fine and all, but if you don't get the mana in them as well... they are pretty much useless. Also gives the plants time to grow in the park.
Leonis
Demon

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby Loniar on Thu May 24, 2012 2:56 am

I'm focusing on the park portion of the mana conservation plan - the farmers have traditionally been taking care of the mana plants. If the farmers need help, all they need do it ask. Until then, I'm assuming they can continue with their own actions while the foresters/overseers/park lovers continue constructing awesome parks so we can get things done twice as fast. Like last week, when we passed three options at once - salvaged mana seeds, harvested food, and finished up the first park.

There's no need to pick and choose at this point, when enthusiasm for helping along mana and farming options is so high. If a time comes when we need to pick and choose, we can most certainly do so. But until then, we need to remember that the parks are extremely time-sensitive, because until Thalar tells us differently, we need to finish five before the timeskip. =)

Besides, the mana plant seeds were salvaged by Trey'la, who's been in charge of various mana rat and mana plant farming projects lately. I wouldn't want to step on his toes by messing around with another class's stuff unless he says he needs help.
Loniar
Tainted

Postby Leonis on Thu May 24, 2012 3:08 am

*hands in the air and shrugs* Cest la vie. Just a thought/reminder that they need to be taken care of as well.
Leonis
Demon

Postby Loniar on Thu May 24, 2012 3:15 am

I'm not dismissing your suggestion at all, Sut. I think that planting the mana seeds is a very important thing to do. In fact, I fully agree that it ought to be done this turn! After all, what is our parks without the mana they're designed to trap?

The Food Group thread or shoutbox might be the more ideal place to suggest it is all. This thread is where we've been organizing the park construction. And I'm not going to swoop in and take over someone else's project unless asked. Until then, my hands are off the seeds! :)
Loniar
Tainted

Postby Timotheus on Thu May 24, 2012 4:24 am

The mana plant problem is that we haven't solved the ecology problem yet (rats and bugs) and until we know what's going on do you really think it's wise to fill the centers of our residential population with highly territorial mana vampire rodents and bugs that can eat the mana plants faster than we can grow them? That's why I put the small greenhouses in each park, to have a secure area for SOME mana plants to be grown until it would be safe to plant them through out the park. For now I'd concentrate on getting the five parks established in their zones and the ancillary fixtures set up. (the shelter/greenhouse, the benches, and the athletic/training field)

Thalar has already questioned me about the greenhouses so she may not let them be built, if so I'd concentrate on building small stone planters and trying to grow some plants in those in each park. Meanwhile save the seeds until the plant environmentalists solve the rat-bug-mana plant conundrum. THEN we plant mana beds all over. If we want to push some form of mana plant propagation plan, we should see about getting the planters we already have filled with mana plants from the nursery fields (checking for bugs and rats) and then getting them into peoples homes.

From what Thalar told me we are all set for the five parks, so the sooner we can get the trees planted the better they'll grow over the next time skip. As soon as I'm back from Kurr hunting I'll be tackling the rest of this project. I have to find out if the wall hedge would do any good and if covering the road ways is worthwhile other than as protection against flying predators.

If we're really lucky we may find Woodsy Owl Ferels next.

From Thalar, "Due to the lack of a map, we'll just go with five locations spread across the city. Perhaps I can get us a proper map once the downgrade is done, but for now the five locations are the optimal ones for parks in the colony."

Addendum - If we want to try planting mana seeds in a small section around a few saplings as an experiment that would probably be useful. So if any of the mana researchers want to try that I'd say go ahead.
Last edited by Timotheus on Fri May 25, 2012 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Location: Either building something or kibitzing someone else's project. Mana, boats, and mills!

Postby Leonis on Thu May 24, 2012 9:31 pm

Tim, If you are against planting the seeds in the parks, then what about planting them in the planters in people's homes in the planters which I had constructed? Something to the effect of

Plant a few mana plant seeds around saplings. Rest in planters in houses. (73)
Leonis
Demon

Postby Timotheus on Fri May 25, 2012 7:08 am

I thought I said that.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

PreviousNext

Return to Community Centre