The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Mana Conservation Plan, reference topic, Save Our Mana

Postby Timotheus on Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:03 pm

This will be a central topic for listing ideas and projects that will conserve and expand our available mana field.

The projects currently under consideration are...

ONE:
Goal - Using planters and other such containers, to grow mana plants inside and outside all the homes and buildings in Ama'verde to increase the available mana.
Elements - Hanging and ground planters, window boxes, and small garden plantings.
Continue to raise mana plants in nursery gardens for transplant.
(Status - Planters are made, mana plants being raised for transplanting.)

TWO:
Goal - To create a 'green' barrier around Ama'verde to contain the mana we have here
Elements - Plant trees to form an overhead canopy to trap mana inside Ama'verde. (see illustration)
Use trees and bushes to create ground barriers to prevent mana from spreading out. (see illustration)
Build a planter box around the INSIDE of the city walls and plant a hedge. (see illustration)
Construct trellises and mat awnings to cover roads and other open areas where trees cannot be grown. (see illustration)

Cautionary Restrictions - The area outside the town walls must be kept clear for at least TWO long bow shots. The areas inside the walls should be kept clear for about ten - fifteen meters from the inside of the wall.
Trees not part of a ground barrier will be pruned and shaped so that they will grow to maximize their overhead leaf canopies while leaving as much open area on the ground under them.
In general, the mana barriers should be built (or grown) so as to NOT CREATE defense problems for the city.

THREE:
Goal - Develop a mana detecting gem or crystal that can indicate the intensity (strength) of a local mana field.
Elements - Using such a device would allow us to determine the effectiveness of various methods of mana conservation.
It would let us measure how much mana is leaking through various materials and barriers or determine how well a substance might restrict mana from passing through it.
It would let us measure how strong a mana source is and how it varies between sources.
From these measurements we can improve both the barriers and the sources.

FOUR:
Goal - To develop a stronger mana plant that can compete with other plants in the wild so we can plant them along our roads and fields.
Elements - Working in the greenhouse and fields, use selective breeding (and the detecting gem) to grow stronger mana plants.

Additional ideas and suggestions will be added as they are proposed and discussed. The final plan will be put up for approval by the Game Master and the Clan Members, but basic elements will be started as soon as possible.
Last edited by Timotheus on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.
If I knew what I was doing I'd be dangerous.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Location: Either building something or kibitzing someone else's project. Mana, boats, and mills!
Clan: Tei'kaliath

Re: Mana Conservation Plan, reference topic (Save Our Mana)

Postby Timotheus on Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:17 pm

Forested land conservation rules
Approved by Angeli in LA response box on 4/13/2012

Some possible rules for Lumbering
1 - Never remove more than 20% of the trees in a square.
2 - Tree cutting will be done selectively in small clearings except along roads.
3 - Trees and brush can be clear cut back from the sides of a road up to 50 meters.
4 - Trees and Brush can be clear cut back from walls and settlements up to 200 meters.
5 - Tree restoration should take place when a covering forest is reduced by more than 15%.

Each tree of old growth forest would produce two or three logs for processing.
Each tree of new growth forest would produce one or two logs for processing.
Each log would produce 40 planks of lumber and 0.2 cords of firewood, or 20 ft3 of charcoal.
Last edited by Timotheus on Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Location: Either building something or kibitzing someone else's project. Mana, boats, and mills!

Re: Mana Conservation Plan, reference topic, Save Our Mana

Postby James Rye on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:30 pm

To be honest, i like the park idea Anji gave us much more than the random planting one.
A park where we clan members can hang out after a days work, to relax and replish our mana thanks to the trees, the mana flowers growing there and become happy seeing the scultures bushes or the many colorful normal flowers. With a pavillion, benches, little roads to walk on and some free grounds to hold a picknick~
Hah, this sounds so peacefully~ <3

Can we please please please have such a park Timo? It doesn´t matter if the trees are one at a time on each building of Ama'varde or all in one place, as long as enough trees and mana flowers are inside our city.
Plus such a neat park would impress our Drow visitors much more than trees put everywhere randomly.
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Wy'shira on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:34 pm

If we put the park as close as possible to the center of the city, it will be well protected in case of attack, and then the mana would disperse throughout the city that way. :)
What is done under compulsion is done without understanding. There is no more beauty in it than if one should whip and spur a dancer. -Xenophon (paraphrase). Follow your heart.

Wy'shira = Eloh.
Wy'shira
Summoner

Postby Hetros on Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:01 am

No, no park. Well, maybe a central park, but I like the idea of instead planting trees along a design plan for city blocks >_> I'll work with tim along side it. We never intended to plant them randomly after all =D
Earth,fire,wind,and water all come together in perfect balance inside of a Smith's forge, this perfect harmony of elements can rarely be found anywhere else in existence.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby James Rye on Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:22 pm

Hetros wrote:No, no park. Well, maybe a central park, but I like the idea of instead planting trees along a design plan for city blocks >_> I'll work with tim along side it. We never intended to plant them randomly after all =D

Nope, there´s a good reason why Anji proposed the park idea. If we plant trees randomly we´ll lose more space to build new buildings or to expand the houses for newcomers than having all the trees in one location inside Ama'varde.
You see that problem alot in cities, small towns and even villages. Heck, in my own village i remember dozens of randomly standing around trees cut down to make place for a new house. Cause thats what will happen if we plant them randomly:

Sometimes we run out of fitting space and have to cut down the trees we planted years ago to get that space to expand. If we plant all trees in a park forest however, we can make the rule that this park should never ever be cut! Ofc that means we have to supervise and care for it to avoid tree sickness, or old trees falling down without proper prepation or too many new trees growing in one place and not getting enough light, etc.

Thalar won´t see your design plan for city blocks, for her it´s either one place or EVERYWHERE in Ama'varde given Anji´s response to the question. The central park has a forest as well with lakes and free grounds, benches and other stuff. We can do the same just a bit smaller with a pond with fishes and ents in it, a forest big enough to suppliy more mana into the city and free ground/benches/walkways and a pavillion for us when we want to visit it or wanna advise Anji/Badai to have a romantic picknick in there. <3
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Hetros on Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:13 pm

James Rye wrote:
Hetros wrote:No, no park. Well, maybe a central park, but I like the idea of instead planting trees along a design plan for city blocks >_> I'll work with tim along side it. We never intended to plant them randomly after all =D

Nope, there´s a good reason why Anji proposed the park idea. If we plant trees randomly we´ll lose more space to build new buildings or to expand the houses for newcomers than having all the trees in one location inside Ama'varde.
You see that problem alot in cities, small towns and even villages. Heck, in my own village i remember dozens of randomly standing around trees cut down to make place for a new house. Cause thats what will happen if we plant them randomly:

Sometimes we run out of fitting space and have to cut down the trees we planted years ago to get that space to expand. If we plant all trees in a park forest however, we can make the rule that this park should never ever be cut! Ofc that means we have to supervise and care for it to avoid tree sickness, or old trees falling down without proper prepation or too many new trees growing in one place and not getting enough light, etc.

Thalar won´t see your design plan for city blocks, for her it´s either one place or EVERYWHERE in Ama'varde given Anji´s response to the question. The central park has a forest as well with lakes and free grounds, benches and other stuff. We can do the same just a bit smaller with a pond with fishes and ents in it, a forest big enough to suppliy more mana into the city and free ground/benches/walkways and a pavillion for us when we want to visit it or wanna advise Anji/Badai to have a romantic picknick in there. <3

Okay, you're not listening.

WE ARE NOT PLANTING THEM RANDOMLY. That would be idiotic. Planting them along the roads though, in clusters in the center of each block and around the perimeter of them and leaving large spaces to expand on the inside? That would work.

You don't seem to get that we need a canopy over the damn city to conserve mana >_>

edit

BAM!
See? We have a central grove in the center of each "block" region. We designate where roads will be by lining them with trees. This is actually a real thing, it's something they did back in louisiana to make the roads STURDIER because the roots under the roads would keep them from eroding away during the heavy rains. Considering that Louisana's ground is 80% MUD this was kinda important. You'll find oak trees lining the old roads in MOST towns paved or not.

edit2: I'm not saying we shouldn't have a central park, but we need more than just a park.

edit3: I also have an idea for an alteration to our housing. It'd be pretty bad ass if we could pull it off. We construct the houses AROUND trees. The trees would grow up and out over the tops of the builds =3

edit4: As for "not seeing our designs" well obviously she won't unless we PM them to her when we make the freaking action D:<
Earth,fire,wind,and water all come together in perfect balance inside of a Smith's forge, this perfect harmony of elements can rarely be found anywhere else in existence.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Timotheus on Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:52 pm

Timotheus
Vel'akar

Postby Hetros on Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:27 pm

Given that these bugs will eat the mana plants if we don't have drain rats all over the place, I suggest the following.

We translplant the plants outside in a pattern along the roads, in the same places we intend to plant the trees (just closer to the roads) then release the drain rats within the walls. Given time, natural selection will make drain rats who aren't scared of us stick around and not hurt anybody >_>
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Loniar on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:25 pm

Alright. Since people are still waiting to hear back from Thalar about the planting strategy, I'm thinking this round we should put in an action like: "search nearby forest for saplings&seeds; put collected saplings in water" (72 letters). That way, we keep getting enough saplings and seeds for the project while keeping the ones we collect from drying out. Advice will go up early tonight if no one protests. =)
Loniar
Tainted

Postby Timotheus on Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:46 am

Details about the creation of local Mana Parks for the different residential areas. This would spread the mana sponge area out a bit to improve its effectiveness while keeping the parkland concept that seems so prevalent to this discussion.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Postby vitus on Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:09 pm

Tim, excelent work ! The "barbecue" place (aka shelter with green house) is a good idea - are you sure you are american and not australian (cause according to european common folks legend, the australians are the barbecue folk ;))?

Edit: Austrailans, no offence, I just really like the "barbecue" place idea and the question about the barbecue itself popped up in my corrupted european mind...
vitus
Summoner

Postby Hetros on Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:17 pm

I still think the grid plan is better over all :S

edit: And there shouldn't be hedge rows blocking mana from leaking out of these parks. If they're going to be mana generation zones, then we need them to leak mana out into the surrounding housing areas.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Timotheus on Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:57 pm

See, a lot of these disagreements are coming from differences in opinion in just how mana is used, created, and transferred. All things we should know almost instinctively but actually have no idea. I'm working from the theory that mana is a sort of radiant particle cloud that has some sort of real substance. Fae creatures and plants both use it and create it, much like oxygen - carbon dioxide in photosynthesis. Drow are poor producers and large users, mana plants are much better producers and only slight users. How the other Fae beings fit in I couldn't say.

On it's own, mana tends to spread out like any other gas to achieve a uniform density throughout its containment area. The larger the area, the thinner it's concentration. To raise it's concentration you need to increase the amount of mana and/or decrease the volume of space it can occupy. Growing more mana plants will increase the supply, creating barriers around the sources will restrict the volume. (Note - Mana produced outside the barrier zones will only be slightly slowed down from drifting away like usual unless additional barriers for the whole city are in place. The Mana Parks should be thought of more like wells or batteries. That's why I have side walls around them.

As for restricting the movement of mana, dense materials like stone work better than lighter materials like wood, living materials are better than dead, and multiple layers (leaves) are better than single layers (cloth).

And that's all I think I know about Mana. Differing opinions or corrections are welcome.
Last edited by Timotheus on Wed May 09, 2012 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Postby kirio on Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:20 am

Speaking as an amature gardener here. The fastest way to achieve living barriers for mana is through trellises. Wisteria, grapes, honeysuckle, jasmine, and ivies (especially ivies) can create year-round living vegetable walls within a few short growing seasons. Annuals like morning glories, four-o'clocks, and celemitis grow very quickly and can form a living barrier within two months of sprouting (and are used that way to provide shade in Japan). None of these requires much space and most can grow right on the sides of existing structures. Particularly, wisteria and Jasmine could be trained to create 'living tunnels' out of existing and heavily trafficked roads.
Mana allows us to feel our connection to the world through the elements. Become one with that which thou wouldst change and the magic becomes effortless.
Cloudless Mind
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Next

Return to Community Centre