The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Look Overhaul Discussion Thread

Postby Hetros on Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:06 pm

Okay, the primary reason for me tackling our redesign of our swords, as well as assisting Minalia in the redesign of our armor for the Mk.3 Warrior Armor, is that I think it's high time we had a look redesign.

Now before I go any further I want to point something out here. This is not about establishing ONE UNIFORM LOOK TO THE ENTIRE CLAN, this is NOT about installing my personal vision of how we should look. I'm a game design and producer by trade, and that's a collaborative industry, consider this an experiment. Be willing to budge, be willing to give ground, be willing to accept that just because one idea has primacy doesn't mean others cannot exist along side it and you are not required to follow these rules when submitting your own character image or future ones. Most of these things would be applied to our FACELESS population, not the player one, to give the clan a more united, less mongrilish look. We'll have been united with a core population of something like 300-500 people for nearly 3 decades by the end of the next time skip in all likelihood (this is including the first and second exoduses, P2P1, the intermission, and P2P2), we'd not look like a hodgepodge anymore.

We are a diverse clan, but there's a pittiable lack of AWESOME in recent years.

We have had fewer people submitting artwork for our tools and equipment. Less for our looks and our banners. I'm going to be tackling a lot of this. I want people to submit ideas for clothing styles that our faceless might be wearing more commonly here on the surface, I want people to submit to submit articles of jewelery, decoration, artwork, little architectural flourishes.

For the time skip, all of this will be pulled together into one giant picture file that I'll first post up here for review by you guys, and then will be put up to be applied for the time skip.

Some things I'd like to point out about what seems to be trends in our clan, as well as about the contest.

1) The "cultural clothing" thing would be applied to our Faceless, not to player characters, who obviously go around in different styles of clothing. Multiple styles are welcome, but keep in mind some things, like Bandai's original clothing, the Ti'ray masters, are good starting points.

2) The same applies to the jewelry and stuff. I mostly want to add little things that Reza or Team Drowtales, or whoever is our next artist, will have a template to draw upon that will look better than the whole "peasant shirt and leggings" we currently have. This includes Tattoo patterns and such.

3) Our city, from all appearances, is going to become a metropolis in the coming years. Let's come up with some architectural styles that would pervade the city. In the past our designs have been a mix of Chinese/Japanese/Buddhist, Indian, and pure spartan-utilitarian architecture. Something to keep in mind when drawing up your designs.
-Buildings we should design:
--->Shop fronts
--->Apartments
--->Houses
--->Barracks/Training Yards
--->Golem Hangars
--->Stables
--->Bars/Restaurants/Taverns
--->Cross Roads/City Squares/Fountains/Monuments
--->Temples/Ti'ray Dojos/Other Nonessential, Nonbusiness buildings
--->Tax Offices, City-Watch Posts, Government Structures
--->We already have a bitchin' forge/craft studio, but who is to say we don't have better designs out there? ^^
--->Warehouses, Fishing Quays, Slaughter Houses, etc.etc.
--->Arenas, Slave Pens, Prisons, Stocks, etc.
--->Send in suggestions for what other stuff we need put together please =3

4) Obviously, designing weapons for our people is far easier than anything else, this will be a huge argument I know, there will be people who say "we are fine as we are", people will have trouble agreeing on direction and things. This is why for you to actually take a meaningful part in this conversation, BACK UP WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. Do not just throw out stupid stuff about real world architecture, utility, etc. We're beyond the need for pure survivalist attitudes at this time (even if that has always been what defines our clan), and if we are not at this time, we will be after the time-skip.

Over the next few days I'm going to be adding the images that we have well established are a part of clan symbolism, look, and architecture.

Our Clan Symbol, both simple and complex forms of it (including the original colored form of it):'
-For simplified colors please note that it is a silver center, and the colors/elements (in clockwise order starting at the top) are: Red/Fire, Blue/Water, Green/Earth, Yellow/Air, Orange (or maybe White and Red)/Flesh+Bone

I have a banner redesign pending based on these patterns, I think it'll be satisfactory to all involved as long as we can all generally agree our first symbol is awesome and is just fine and it's original colorations don't need to change

Existing Information on Patterns of Looks
Clothing/Tattoo Patterns:
Ti'ray Masters=
Bandai's Original Look=

If I might suggest, common colors would be the colors used in the symbol above. Notice how Bandai's clothing is Red and White? The same color as the seed for Flesh and Bone? =3

Architecture:
Fortress Keep, by Jonarus Drake:
Forge/Crafting Hall, by Avidavi:
Library, by Jonarus Drake:
School, by Jonarus Drake:

I'll be adding stuff as and when I can find it, and below I'll put the popular player submissions (remember, original work, provided by existing members will take precedent over anything else, if you get someone outside the game to make original work, that's just fine, so long as it is -your- idea and they're just giving shape to it) =P

Player Submissions
Temple of the Moons/Elements by Jonarus Drake:
Watch Tower, By Jonarus Drake:
Watch Tower/Lighthouse/Semaphore Hub by Tim:
Industrial Outpost, by Avidavi:
Engineer's Workshop, By Avidavi:
Last edited by Hetros on Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Earth,fire,wind,and water all come together in perfect balance inside of a Smith's forge, this perfect harmony of elements can rarely be found anywhere else in existence.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Re: Look Overhaul Discussion Thread

Postby James Rye on Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:14 pm

Hah, i still remember how i tried to get clan colors for those so that we get something unique/clan-like. :(
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Hetros on Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:34 am

Well technically they did get colors =P
Earth,fire,wind,and water all come together in perfect balance inside of a Smith's forge, this perfect harmony of elements can rarely be found anywhere else in existence.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby vitus on Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:27 pm

Guys, I am not in a design so much (I have a rather technical view of the world), but regarding a massive intro thread I would like to express some simple point of view:

- hammering down the colours ? I do not think so - why ? The drow are famous by their colourfullness. However some basic colour schemes for faceless masses in the comix (aside of the brown and brown) is not a bad idea - but actually we have so much active players still, that Reza is fine displaying the massess by adding an active character as a "weed" ;).

- hammerign down the styles ? Not a bad idea, but still we should be carefull - too much hammering down will limit creativity of some active people, so probably only some clan "thypicalities" or "schemes" (like ornamentals on buildings, in jewerly, in tatoos) could do the job. Actually the clan banner is doing a phantastic job in this field, so maybe adding just more ornamentals accomplishing the banner (aka "heraldic figures" ;)), could do the job.
vitus
Summoner

Postby Hetros on Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:09 pm

vitus wrote:Guys, I am not in a design so much (I have a rather technical view of the world), but regarding a massive intro thread I would like to express some simple point of view:

- hammering down the colours ? I do not think so - why ? The drow are famous by their colourfullness. However some basic colour schemes for faceless masses in the comix (aside of the brown and brown) is not a bad idea - but actually we have so much active players still, that Reza is fine displaying the massess by adding an active character as a "weed" ;).

- hammerign down the styles ? Not a bad idea, but still we should be carefull - too much hammering down will limit creativity of some active people, so probably only some clan "thypicalities" or "schemes" (like ornamentals on buildings, in jewerly, in tatoos) could do the job. Actually the clan banner is doing a phantastic job in this field, so maybe adding just more ornamentals accomplishing the banner (aka "heraldic figures" ;)), could do the job.

This is exactly what I'm talking about =3 I've given up hammering down colors really ^^; but I have some stuff, and I think a more colorful banner would be wonderful if we could have it =3 I'll reveal it in a few days and let people decide x3
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Kran on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:52 am

Hetros wrote:
vitus wrote:Guys, I am not in a design so much (I have a rather technical view of the world), but regarding a massive intro thread I would like to express some simple point of view:

This is exactly what I'm talking about =3 I've given up hammering down colors really ^^; but I have some stuff, and I think a more colorful banner would be wonderful if we could have it =3 I'll reveal it in a few days and let people decide x3

Yes! Please do, Hetros! Whatever can get our clan from having chromophobia about a clan color.
Honu Al'dun Tei'kaliath
Kran
Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby James Rye on Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:45 pm

Kran wrote:
Hetros wrote:

Yes! Please do, Hetros! Whatever can get our clan from having chromophobia about a clan color.

Yeah, i still remember how i got called a traitor and Nal-lover and such in the shoutbox cause i suggested new clan colors using Anji´s suggestions of white, green, yellow/bronze and grey. -_-
And that though the thread with the clan colors suggestions and images had been up for weeks. And given the entries we had enough support to go through with it, especially since the complains were low or mostly that the clan should decide on it which was my intention anyway since the start. That and it wasn´t a sudden surprise raid, i asked first for permission to Anji and everything. And when people complained i even said that we could add the old desgin into the competion and let Anji decide which combination she believes either fits us best or pick her favorites and let us decide like she´d done with the clan symbol.
What happend in the end?
Someone put up another advise shooting down mine without any consulting, but with lots of rightous we´re holier than you behaviour and self backslapping. Just great how our clan uses the forum, pm, is ready for compromise. *sigh*

If you can change anything of that Het, i´ll still got some designs and color suggestions and such plus the names of the people who had made them if you need some various ideas. :3
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Hetros on Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:19 pm

Jonarus has submitted a lovely temple for moons/elements worship :3
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Jonarus_Drakus on Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:26 pm

It was origionally create quite a while ago in consultation with Kirio... As for other architectural images, The 'Schoolhouse', the 'Archive/Museum', and the 'Fortress/Palace', are all mine and can be found on my Dev-art page (There should be a link in my sig - If it doesn't work, then here: http://jonarus-drakus.deviantart.com/ )

JD
> J'hon D'rak Tei'Kaliath. D'rak Patriarch, KIA on the 12th day of the 3rd Moon
> Eh'rin D'rak Tei'Kaliath. D'rak Dev'ess: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=14467&p=765500#p758482
http://jonarus-drakus.deviantart.com/
Jonarus_Drakus
Vel'akar

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Hetros on Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:32 pm

Updated with submissions by Jonarus and by existing architecture designed by him and Avidavi.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Jonarus_Drakus on Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:50 am

The Fortress was Mine Het... Just fyi...

JD
> J'hon D'rak Tei'Kaliath. D'rak Patriarch, KIA on the 12th day of the 3rd Moon
> Eh'rin D'rak Tei'Kaliath. D'rak Dev'ess: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=14467&p=765500#p758482
http://jonarus-drakus.deviantart.com/
Jonarus_Drakus
Vel'akar

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby James Rye on Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:58 pm

By the way, did you guys know we had SILK WORMS? Oo

http://www.drowtales.com/~pathtopower/a ... p?sid=8008

Looks like besides Leena and Haledri fur and wild animal pelts we could go for silk as well. Maybe one of the smaller future projects for the crafter/farmer.^^
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Hetros on Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:36 am

Jonarus_Drakus wrote:The Fortress was Mine Het... Just fyi...

JD

My apologies Jona, fixed now.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Hetros on Thu May 24, 2012 6:45 pm

Still looking for submissions for clothing, housing, decorations, jewlery, artwork, and similar to give our land it's own flare.

Please remember, that any clothing designs would be to give our faceless a more culturally Tei'kaliath look than the generic "colored shirts and pants" look they've got going right now. THIS WOULD NOT EFFECT THE LOOKS OF THE PLAYERS
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Leonis on Thu May 24, 2012 9:40 pm

If we want to kind of pull from what Badai wears... then perhaps the male faceless wear a sort of shawl/poncho with various designs around the edge. I have little to no artistic ability or I would draw something.
Leonis
Demon

Clan: Jaal'darya

Return to Community Centre