Well see, if we manage to get the chain-swords that Bandai wielded, that's more effective than than spears for anything except phalanx position, which I don't think really fits the feel of Drow anyway (no matter how effective).
also, to those of you who are angry about me saying "no straight blades", I should point out that my clarification was no -NORMAL- straight edged blades, no european long swords. Look at Bandai's chain-sabre weapon as a good example of a sword with a straight edge that I'd be putting into the contest when we've accumulated the full list of submissions =P
But yes, spears and polearms are definitely on the list and I intend to do a contest for them as well.
The order of goals at the moment is:
1) The New Armors: Warrior, Mage, and Scout (Warrior and Mage are the only definite ones on that list =P)
2) Main Weapon and Offhand weapon combo
3) Mana Spec weapon, new stave or a scepter or something.
4) Shields if the offhand weapon isn't a
5) Heavy Anti-Armor Weapons, either flails, maces, or warhammers, probably warhammers because they'll be useful for things above and beyond warhammering.
6) Polearms, I'm personally going for Halberds, but lances and pikes are also possibilities. Javelins might be what we make simply because they are the ultimate in versatility for polearms (you can throw them, you can load them into a ballista, you can use them as a short lance, you can use them as a spear)
7) A smattering of other weapons just so we have a well rounded list. Axes, maces, etc.etc. Where as the rest will be fairly massed produced, so we can switch the out at will, arm our Dvegar and Feral allies with them, raise a militia, etc.etc. This will the biggy.
Anything I've failed to put on this list.
I'll be doing a thread on the look overhaul soon enough =P