The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Re: Sword Redesign Contest.

Postby Gojinki on Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:45 pm

the spur on the kopesh is used to pull away shields and the tip is weighted ^^ if i remember correctly weighted tip usually meant the blade wants to keep moving forward after the strike so when hitting it also hits harder than a regular straight blade. is versatile and kinda smexy ;3

the original metals used for a kopesh was soft so it wasn't really meant for blade on blade, but the metals we use will be stronger ^^

edit:

and yes, i love me some cutlass action Het ;3

Gojinki
Vel'akar

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby James Rye on Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:48 pm

As for shields:

The crafters can make them out of wood with a steel frame, twenty of the small ones should be enough for now especially when we get the dozen swords for the spare armor. Besides with such a small shield we should be able to train how to shoot with the TK74 left-handed while the shield is on the left arm.
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Gojinki on Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:50 pm

personally would love to use a sword in one hand and the old smaller hand-held repeater crossbow in the other ^^ but that is only because it reminds me of a pirate with a flintlock and sword ;3
Gojinki
Vel'akar

Postby Jaibyrd on Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:52 pm

Gojinki wrote:the spur on the kopesh is used to pull away shields and the tip is weighted ^^ if i remember correctly weighted tip usually meant the blade wants to keep moving forward after the strike so when hitting it also hits harder than a regular straight blade. is versatile and kinda smexy ;3

the original metals used for a kopesh was soft so it wasn't really meant for blade on blade, but the metals we use will be stronger ^^

Yes indeed! You remember correctly! Back then the Greek and Egyptian swords were all bronze, which is super soft, but with the stuff we and the dvegar could make - yeah, if the Black Sun come around again, they'll be in for a rude surprise! XD

We could hook the spur a bit more to grab staffs out of hands as well, make it sharp on both sides just to be really mean about it...
AIM: Desinique - YIM: jai_byrd13 - MSN: Jai_byrd13@hotmail.com - Skype: jaibyrd13 - Twitter: Jaibyrd - dA: Jaibyrd
Jaibyrd
Vel'akar

Postby Gojinki on Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:55 pm

I still like the modified macuahuitl just for the sheer brutality of it. We could probably stand to be a bit more brutal after the last big battle ^^;

Edit:

on a side note, what happened to our retractable spike shields that were used in the black sun siege?
Gojinki
Vel'akar

Postby James Rye on Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:48 pm

They disappeared just like the heavy crossbows.
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Timotheus on Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:31 am

Here's the solution to everyone's wishes...
(You decide how serious I am)

Go to this address for the un-cut-off version.
http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab18 ... ySword.png
If I knew what I was doing I'd be dangerous.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Location: Either building something or kibitzing someone else's project. Mana, boats, and mills!

Postby vitus on Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:07 am

Tim, cool ! When Wins-co Blades is preparing for mass production ? I wamt one of those ! *bigsmile*
vitus
Summoner

Postby Hetros on Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:35 am

The modified sword-club could be driven further goji. A steel club core, with a serrated blade going around it perhaps?

edit: The multi-blade is awesome x3 but not sure if we could do it justice x3

also, we forgot an important sword! Bandai's old sword >_>
Earth,fire,wind,and water all come together in perfect balance inside of a Smith's forge, this perfect harmony of elements can rarely be found anywhere else in existence.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby James Rye on Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:34 pm

What about spears`?

Personally i like the idea of having a Quick force squad, warriors with a lighter armor, sword and the TK74 to attack from the sides and behind to cause damage and confusion.
Then the *normal squad*, warriors with a normal spear, sword and shield who does the main battle and is at the front.
Then the *heavy squad*, warriors with helbards, big warhammer/waraxes/two-handed sword to attack mounted and big enemies or heavy armored enemies, the ones who can take alot of dmg and deal alot of, but are too slow to be a fast squad like the other two.

And ofc the mounted ones once and if we ever get mounts for them that is.
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Hetros on Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:21 pm

Well see, if we manage to get the chain-swords that Bandai wielded, that's more effective than than spears for anything except phalanx position, which I don't think really fits the feel of Drow anyway (no matter how effective).

also, to those of you who are angry about me saying "no straight blades", I should point out that my clarification was no -NORMAL- straight edged blades, no european long swords. Look at Bandai's chain-sabre weapon as a good example of a sword with a straight edge that I'd be putting into the contest when we've accumulated the full list of submissions =P

But yes, spears and polearms are definitely on the list and I intend to do a contest for them as well.

The order of goals at the moment is:
1) The New Armors: Warrior, Mage, and Scout (Warrior and Mage are the only definite ones on that list =P)
2) Main Weapon and Offhand weapon combo
3) Mana Spec weapon, new stave or a scepter or something.
4) Shields if the offhand weapon isn't a
5) Heavy Anti-Armor Weapons, either flails, maces, or warhammers, probably warhammers because they'll be useful for things above and beyond warhammering.
6) Polearms, I'm personally going for Halberds, but lances and pikes are also possibilities. Javelins might be what we make simply because they are the ultimate in versatility for polearms (you can throw them, you can load them into a ballista, you can use them as a short lance, you can use them as a spear)
7) A smattering of other weapons just so we have a well rounded list. Axes, maces, etc.etc. Where as the rest will be fairly massed produced, so we can switch the out at will, arm our Dvegar and Feral allies with them, raise a militia, etc.etc. This will the biggy.
8) Anything I've failed to put on this list.

I'll be doing a thread on the look overhaul soon enough =P
Earth,fire,wind,and water all come together in perfect balance inside of a Smith's forge, this perfect harmony of elements can rarely be found anywhere else in existence.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Timotheus on Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:12 pm

Just remember, whatever we design, the artistic reality is that it will all be homogenized into standard forms with as little detail as possible for ease of rendering. The fewer basic shape forms the better.
If I knew what I was doing I'd be dangerous.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Location: Either building something or kibitzing someone else's project. Mana, boats, and mills!

Postby Hetros on Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:11 pm

Timotheus wrote:Just remember, whatever we design, the artistic reality is that it will all be homogenized into standard forms with as little detail as possible for ease of rendering. The fewer basic shape forms the better.

which is why the shape of the blade is more important than anything else to make our soldiers distinctive =P
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Valyn on Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:35 am

please flails, Hettie ; ^ ;

*chibi eyes~~*
Q . Q
Valyn
Summoner

Location: Eberywhere and nowhere ^^ or, alternatively, both Texas and Alberta! ;D

Postby drakanor on Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:32 pm

I feel the need to mention that sword number 4 of Gojinki's is meant for ripping not cutting ... That particular type is usually found with obsidian for the points sticking out. It also leaves nasty scars as well if the guy doesn't die from the wounds.
ImageGroup On Deviantart.
drakanor
Summoner

PreviousNext

Return to Community Centre