The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Sword Redesign Contest.

Postby Hetros on Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:47 pm

It's high time we got a more original looking sword look.

Next week I'll be making the new set of swords, and for that I need people to help out. I want people to send in sword redesigns to me. New cooler designs than simple straight edges.

I'm also looking for Warhammer designs and Shield designs.

Rule of cool predominates over practicality in this case. Make your weapons look freaking awesome (but maybe not to Final Fantasy blade levels =P). Since our practical designs have -never- mattered before, I see no reason to keep to that line of thinking.

edit: It has been decided that we should design a primary weapon and a side arm. In this case, I'll take the two most popular designs (or the most popular "paired" design) and our soldiers will be armed with sword and dagger pairs. Send in your submissions ASAP or you'll have to deal with a shitty drawing made by yours truly =P

Final decision lies with me, but I'll try to do it based on which is most popular.

edit2:
Normal long swords (eg: only altering the hilt and pommel and otherwise keeping our current design), as well as non original artwork, will be dismissed out of hand.
Earth,fire,wind,and water all come together in perfect balance inside of a Smith's forge, this perfect harmony of elements can rarely be found anywhere else in existence.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Re: Sword Redesign Contest.

Postby blackjack217 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:24 pm

I vote longsword. It's simple and it will work. Otherwise we are just going to end up with a katana, because they are "cooler"
Sword and board is a classic for a reason.
Anareth Nimaraidh
Ceterum autem censeo, Siyah-khorshed esse delendam!
blackjack217
Demon

Postby Gojinki on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:44 pm

Why katana? I'm sure people have more options in mind than that ^^

A few randoms. Don't know which will stay and which will be written off, but now Het cant say I didn't submit anything ;3
Last edited by Gojinki on Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gojinki
Vel'akar

Postby blackjack217 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:58 pm

Gojinki wrote:Why katana? I'm sure people have more options in mind than that ^^

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... JustBetter
Anareth Nimaraidh
blackjack217
Demon

Postby Gojinki on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:03 am

^^; that still isn't the point. you yourself voted long sword to try and break free from that idea no? I'm sure others feel similar.
Gojinki
Vel'akar

Postby blackjack217 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:06 am

Gojinki wrote:^^; that still isn't the point. you yourself voted long sword to try and break free from that idea no? I'm sure others feel similar.

Anareth Nimaraidh
blackjack217
Demon

Postby Gojinki on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:06 am

*shakes fist at* danm kids! get off my lawn!
Gojinki
Vel'akar

Postby Loniar on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:12 am

Ooh. I'm a huge fan of Gojinki's option number 1 right there. Probably because it reminds me of some of the larger faux-swords we used in fencing club but you know what they say. Tried and true always wins.

The other options are perfectly alright though, except option 4 seems a bit gimmicky to me. It's large and bulky, which would limit maneuverability. And the jagged edges would have to be kept pretty sharp or get rendered ineffectual. Seems more like a bashing weapon than a slicing weapon, no offense, and lunging with it would give less than ideal results. Break some bones, yes, but very little piercing action.

Still, that's just my take on it. Regardless, such pretty (and deadly) drawings!
Loniar
Tainted

Postby Gojinki on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:16 am

number 4 is a macuahuitl ^^

instead of being made of wood and obsidian, we could make it a bit thinner and of metal. would be a heavier weapon true, but also would hit a lot harder and wounds will not just be slashing, it will rip flesh making it even more difficult to survive ^^

and thank you ^^ deadly is always fun! >w<
Gojinki
Vel'akar

Postby Kran on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:22 am

I like #1 because it's curved so your sword does not get stuck slashing enemies. #6 could work since it is cureved as well, but I believe you cannot stab opponents from the looks of the design (no edge). In my opinion, I would go with #1 since you get best of both slashing and stabbing abilities.
Honu Al'dun Tei'kaliath
Kran
Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Hetros on Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:18 am

Goji just added one that is my personal favorite so far >x3 I want more submissions of course but the combo I'm plugging (and there will be a vote at some point in the near future, we got to wait for the dwarven artisans to get back before we begin the overhaul) is definitely that one XD

Of course my opinion might change with more submissions. And either way I'll make a bunch of pairing and have you guys vote on them :3
Earth,fire,wind,and water all come together in perfect balance inside of a Smith's forge, this perfect harmony of elements can rarely be found anywhere else in existence.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Jaibyrd on Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:14 pm

I have to agree, I love Ancient Egyptian Khopesh's, they're gorgeous swords and with that hook and our Tir'ay, watch out! What a devastating combo that's gonna be.

Excellent that the Khopesh/sickle-sword made it in, 'cause if Gojinki you hadn't had put it in there, I would have! *bigsmile*

AIM: Desinique - YIM: jai_byrd13 - MSN: Jai_byrd13@hotmail.com - Skype: jaibyrd13 - Twitter: Jaibyrd - dA: Jaibyrd
Jaibyrd
Vel'akar

Postby Kran on Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:42 pm

Jaibyrd wrote:I have to agree, I love Ancient Egyptian Khopesh's, they're gorgeous swords and with that hook and our Tir'ay, watch out! What a devastating combo that's gonna be.

Excellent that the Khopesh/sickle-sword made it in, 'cause if Gojinki you hadn't had put it in there, I would have! *bigsmile*

Oh, it does have a point on the tip of the sword. Excellent, then you have my support of having Khopesh/sickle-swords in our armory, Jaibyrd. Hopefully, the rest of the clan will support this sword design unanimously.
Honu Al'dun Tei'kaliath
Kran
Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby James Rye on Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:15 pm

Jaibyrd wrote:I have to agree, I love Ancient Egyptian Khopesh's, they're gorgeous swords and with that hook and our Tir'ay, watch out! What a devastating combo that's gonna be.

Reminds me of the swords the horse dudes in GoT have. As long as its tip and edge is sharp enough we can fight with it, :)

EDIT:
Though we should concentrate on teh new armor with the dvergar crafters to avoid confusion which project we gonna do with them.

So just make a dozen normal longswords for now for the 4 warriors + 8 spare armor, we can smelt and resmith them after the war into those new swords. :)
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Hetros on Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:32 pm

The Dueregar are going to be doing the armor with us. We have two designs from Ombreh and Naraan and we'll see how those work out.

The Sickle sword is different from a khopesh in that the curve is reversed. Look how it's being swung in that image. They're meant for HEAVY cutting, slashing weapons, while the kris-buckler is meant to be a short stabbing weapon.

The big thing about the sickle sword is that it's unique. It's not appeared in the comic, where as Quain has been shown using it in one of the comics.

edit:
I should point out, that while Long blades CAN be used for stabbing, that is not how they are best used, and a point is not exactly required. Scimitars, and cutlesses are excellent examples, they're not meant for piercing, but slashing. The sickle sword holds a similar place, and is specially designed for hooking, armor penetration, and extra cutting power, making it superior to anything with a point.

edit2: Also the sickle sword is closer to what the guys in Game of Thrones have, in fact, it was INSPIRED by that blade =3
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Next

Return to Community Centre