The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Recycling Ruins

Postby Hetros on Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:21 pm

Okay, we all know that ruins are valuable/dangerous and filled with things that could be of ENORMOUS use to us.

My thought is this though, eventually we're going to tap those ruins out, and the once we do there's no reason to keep them around, well, no PRACTICAL reason. One could argue historic value but I think survival trumps that for the moment hmmm? Besides, we have written records and living memories (not amongst ourselves of course) of that period and it's not REALLY losing anything...

Thus I argue we recycle the stone comprising the ruins just as the ancient greeks and romans did for their old structures, and as people have always done. They're a source of stone, and we need stone to expand. Why not use it?
Earth,fire,wind,and water all come together in perfect balance inside of a Smith's forge, this perfect harmony of elements can rarely be found anywhere else in existence.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Re: Recycling Ruins

Postby vitus on Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:44 pm

So you mean after searching through the ruins, digging out any scrap / golems / other goodies we might find we would propose "turn ruins to stone resource site" action in EA ?

I think this might be an issue we should ask Anji, what does she thinks about it. ;)
vitus
Summoner

Postby benuminister on Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:02 pm

If we can pull them apart without being blown up it does not really seem like a problem. However could we not instead use the emptied structures as an outpost instead of yanking them apart?
Tei'Kaliath: Biel (Bay-elle) Tel'mari, Forge Master and Novice at the Hammer Toss

EA process:
Friday: Post -> Saturday: Discuss and Edit -> Sunday: Final Draft

The Al'dun, more then just another family.
benuminister
Vel'akar

Postby Hetros on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:58 pm

benuminister wrote:If we can pull them apart without being blown up it does not really seem like a problem. However could we not instead use the emptied structures as an outpost instead of yanking them apart?

Well that depends on how decayed they are.

Sure, some might be useful for that, but that's assuming that they're in good repair, there's no faulting, and the structure and foundation are solid.

Far more likely after 1000 years, is that we're going to be looking at stuff that is falling apart. The stone will make good building blocks when cemented right and worked on, but the actual structures will be too dangerous to actually live in and will need to be demolished for spare parts.

basically. If it would cost as much to repair a ruin as it would to simply build a new structure, we might as well demolish them for the stone.
Earth,fire,wind,and water all come together in perfect balance inside of a Smith's forge, this perfect harmony of elements can rarely be found anywhere else in existence.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby AthenAltena on Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:46 pm

Hetros wrote:basically. If it would cost as much to repair a ruin as it would to simply build a new structure, we might as well demolish them for the stone.

I pretty much agree with that, and it would vary from structure to structure. Some will probably be in better shape than others, so we'll most likely have to decide on a cast-by-case basis. But otherwise I agree that once we've searched them for anything valuable it'd be in our best interest to make use of them.
AthenAltena
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Hetros on Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:09 am

AthenAltena wrote:
Hetros wrote:basically. If it would cost as much to repair a ruin as it would to simply build a new structure, we might as well demolish them for the stone.

I pretty much agree with that, and it would vary from structure to structure. Some will probably be in better shape than others, so we'll most likely have to decide on a cast-by-case basis. But otherwise I agree that once we've searched them for anything valuable it'd be in our best interest to make use of them.

Exactly, otherwise they'll just become shelter for what slums and disused places always become shelters for. Criminals and feral animals.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Timotheus on Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:12 pm

If the stone is too degraded for building it might be a good source of gravel for road surfaces.
If I knew what I was doing I'd be dangerous.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Location: Either building something or kibitzing someone else's project. Mana, boats, and mills!

Postby Hetros on Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:53 pm

Timotheus wrote:If the stone is too degraded for building it might be a good source of gravel for road surfaces.

pretty much. Or water filtration.

The idea is that letting the ruins just sit there is a waste of resources.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Return to Community Centre