The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

What should we do?

Immediately catch and study it
11%
Study it and then catch it
43%
Kill it with Fire
32%
Leave it Alone
14%

Total votes : 28

Dealing with Bugbears! (name not settled)

Postby Avidavi on Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:04 pm

Okay well, this requires a simple majority ruling!

Pros and Cons to immediate Capture:
+ This individual is no longer a possible threat.
+ We can study it up close... ?
- We don't know how to capture it
- We take it out of its natural environment

Pros and Cons to Study then Capture:
+ Less danger, can learn how to deal with it, and its ecology
+ Can build an enclosure without straining votes in one turn
- It is still a possible threat while studying, and may lead us into more of its kind
- Will take two weeks to finally capture it.. which we will ultimately end up doing anyway.

Pros and Cons to Kill it with Fire
+ No longer a possible threat
- We can't do anything with it.

Pros and Cons to Leaving it Alone
+ NO HARM DONE. Everything turns out better than expected!
- It is still out there. Waiting.
Alulienne Nimaraidh Tei'kaliath - Positivity Breeds Creativity!
Current Status of the Grabbed-Up Fauna!
Current Activities of the Grabbin' Up the Fauna Team!
Avidavi
Summoner

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Re: Dealing with Bugbears! (name not settled)

Postby Zorlond on Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:13 pm

Avidavi wrote:Pros and Cons to Kill it with Fire
+ No longer a possible threat
- We can't do anything with it.

Except possibly eat it. Kajun Fried Bugbear, yum. ;)
Zorlond
Vel'akar

Postby Hetros on Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:16 pm

Just throwing this out there.

It is probably the size of a grizzly. It looks to be predatory. It might... MIGHT be sapient, but this seems like a long shot, eating meat raw tends not to be something sapients do.
It is probably not a scavenger, or at least not a full time one. That doesn't look like the remains of an already dead haldeer.

If it is a predator, then it will consider us a food source since it is bigger. This is how predatory actions WORK for lone predators. If you are smaller and smell right, you are prey. Unless you build up a long standing state of pattern recognition through natural selection where the species will avoid you at all costs (this is the state of humans and most large predators today).

Even if they avoid us because we're a little TOO BIG to be easy prey. We have children now, we have waste and food leavings, and all kinds of things that will attract scavengers and predators to our community. Children are easy prey. Leaving this thing alone is simply not an option.

Finally, if it is a fae creature, then we will be able to turn it into a summon. Since Demons tend not to be so much of a problem on the surface, this is an ENORMOUSLY GOOD THING. Summons are basically extra warm bodies to fight with and can effect the physical world, even non fae (if I remember correctly) this gives us a huge advantage since they can only be damaged through magic.

Leaving it alone is just not an option.

Study this sucker, then capture it to figure out if we can use it. If we have no good uses for it, kill it, find out what it's body parts are good for. This process will reveal how dangerous the thing is.
Earth,fire,wind,and water all come together in perfect balance inside of a Smith's forge, this perfect harmony of elements can rarely be found anywhere else in existence.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Jonarus_Drakus on Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:22 pm

Study it in the wild first definitely... If its decided that its a little 'too close to home' THEN we can go about capturing/killing it, and well have the necessary knowledge to be able to do so with reduced risk!

JD
> J'hon D'rak Tei'Kaliath. D'rak Patriarch, KIA on the 12th day of the 3rd Moon
> Eh'rin D'rak Tei'Kaliath. D'rak Dev'ess: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=14467&p=765500#p758482
http://jonarus-drakus.deviantart.com/
Jonarus_Drakus
Vel'akar

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Timotheus on Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:42 pm

I'm inclined to the study it first, then decide whether to capture or kill it option.
If I knew what I was doing I'd be dangerous.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Location: Either building something or kibitzing someone else's project. Mana, boats, and mills!

Postby Tibanna Vilrath on Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:39 am

its so ugly i dont want to see it ever again ;) i'm for killing it asap. studying it runs a great risk ... since its an predator and every predator has means to find their prey ... smell, noise or whatever else in DT is possible. But if there is a way to make it into a summon... well that would be great.
Aleria Vilrath - PTP
Tibanna Vilrath - RH C2
Tibanna Vilrath
Summoner

Postby Catriana on Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:39 am

Hope the healers got their bandages ready....

Er, on a not-so-useless-but-close-enough note: I honestly dunno what we should do with it. Er, how close is it to our home? And how big is it, exactly? TBH, if it's really close to our home, I'd suggest making a move and if it attacks, rage!kill it with fire. Then, I'd find where its home/nest/brood/whatever was and if that was super close, rage!kill it with fire.

Because Hetros has a point, we gots the kiddies to think of. All it would take was one of those things to take one of our young and then we'd flip the script on them anyway.
“The most I can do for my friend is simply be his friend." -Henry David Thoreau
Catriana
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Hetros on Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:52 am

Tibanna Vilrath wrote:its so ugly i dont want to see it ever again ;) i'm for killing it asap. studying it runs a great risk ... since its an predator and every predator has means to find their prey ... smell, noise or whatever else in DT is possible. But if there is a way to make it into a summon... well that would be great.

And there's a SMALL chance it could be domesticated >>
Domestication isn't QUITE as intense a process as many might think.

Basically, what you do is you have a breeding program set up. You breed for the less aggressive, more loyal, traits. And if we can get biomancy going? All bets are off >>
Earth,fire,wind,and water all come together in perfect balance inside of a Smith's forge, this perfect harmony of elements can rarely be found anywhere else in existence.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Tibanna Vilrath on Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:54 am

well certainly it would be a great asset .... just imagine a score of them in platemail rushing at you .... urgh
Aleria Vilrath - PTP
Tibanna Vilrath - RH C2
Tibanna Vilrath
Summoner

Postby minalia on Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:42 am

Establish a trap zone for that beast, use trideer as bait, bring that beast to the trap. It can be a huge steel cage for all i care or even better use the ballista i made ages ago. That thing is a freaking threat to our community and its stealing one of our main food source.
A survivalist should not be a pessimist, he should always be positive, happy and enjoying life more than anyone else because he understands that each minute of peace we have is precious and unique, and he never takes it for granted.
minalia
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Hetros on Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:52 am

minalia wrote:Establish a trap zone for that beast, use trideer as bait, bring that beast to the trap. It can be a huge steel cage for all i care or even better use the ballista i made ages ago. That thing is a freaking threat to our community and its stealing one of our main food source.

We can pit trap it. Ballista is overkill for the moment.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby blackshade10 on Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:47 am

I'm in the "KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!11!1!one" crowd. Really, I don't think it'll be friendly. Just kill it and serve it on a platter as a victory feast.
Drowtales RP Review Assistant
Unofficial DTRPG Newbie Helper
--
Elk Cros'sin Val'Sullisin'rune - "Awww, how cute. You think you can take me."
Ash'vari Ist'aven Val'Sullisin'rune - "Zzzzz... Wait what?"
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Location: Ashie Cleavage, plotting war against those of the Zala cleavage.
Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby vitus on Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:22 pm

Actually there is missing an interling vote (from my perspective important one):

Study it and then decide if to kill it or capture it

Study it = it will give us possibility to find out more about the creature, to find its habits, weknesses, strenghts. We even do not now how much of them are within our territory - we pressume its like a bear (a single bugbear living in a large territory), but it could be like wolves (living in packs) and we have encountered one loner of his pack.

After studying it we will have better chance to judge if to kill it or keep it. And if we decide to kill it or keep it we will have much better chances to the first or the second.

I thought we have had learned a lesson from Brorn´s streight-away-avalanche *bigsmile* .
vitus
Summoner

Postby Avidavi on Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:18 pm

Dear Thalar,

Our community doesn't like giant meet-eating things unless they are pretty. Please make a giant bear-lion-wolf or some other aesthetically-pleasing creature so maybe it will have a chance of not being exterminated by the masses.

Sincerely,
Avidavi
Alulienne Nimaraidh Tei'kaliath - Positivity Breeds Creativity!
Current Status of the Grabbed-Up Fauna!
Current Activities of the Grabbin' Up the Fauna Team!
Avidavi
Summoner

Postby James Rye on Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:22 pm

Lol, avi. XD

But i agree with studying and catching it for further tests.

Study it first, then build a deep pit trap fitting for its size and use an alive trideer as bait.

Afterwards we can use a plank and an iron cage to bring it home and look if it can be domesticated. As a war beast or a huge mount it might be quite useful. A dragon/wolf are strong/fast but ours not only strong but really scary. I bet other mounts will think twice before they go near it in a battle. XDDD
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Next

Return to Community Centre