The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

AN INTERESTING DEVELOPEMENT! RESOURCES CAN EQUAL UPGRADES!

Postby Hetros on Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:11 am

After a short back and forth between me and Thalar, an interesting new developement has occured!

There is no limit to the number of resources that can exist in a square (where as there is a limit of 5 buildings to a tile, 4 if we assume we're putting roads in ALL of our tiles).

Resources can act as UPGRADES to squares!

Rather than having a "mana plant park" in every one of our housing squares. We instead plant "mana plant gardens" that act as resources in the same way, say, barley fields do! This achieves the same in game effect we might want, without taking up valuable building slots for the tile.

This same effect can be applied to say, "Traps", "Fortifications" and similar benefits that are more "upgrade" than building! We can do this in other ways too!

For example, what if a smelter is a resource BUILT into a square that contains a forge? What if we can attach WaterWheels to production buildings on river tiles in order to boost efficiency of related actions.

Ponder this my fellow clan mates and think of AWESOME ways to hack this in our favor =P

edit: My suggestion for the utility of this (so that buildings and "upgrades" remain distinct), is that a Building enables certain actions to take place in that square that cannot be taken else where. For example, a square without a Farm cannot have fields planted in it. Upgrades are like resources, and thus they do not enable actions, they provide boosts to efficency and provide "in game" benefits such as preventing mana deprivation.

List of ideas for "Upgrade" resources we can construct:
Mana Plant Gardens (By Farmers): Relieve Mana Deprivation
Traps (Engineers): Actively do damage to enemies that enter the tile
Fortifications (Architects): Provide boosted defense to clan members and allies within the tile
Plumbing (Architects? Engineers?): Provides a boost to clan health within the square.
Decorations (Architects? Craftsmen?): PRETTINESS! IMPRESSES VISITORS!
Earth,fire,wind,and water all come together in perfect balance inside of a Smith's forge, this perfect harmony of elements can rarely be found anywhere else in existence.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Re: AN INTERESTING DEVELOPEMENT! RESOURCES CAN EQUAL UPGRADE

Postby James Rye on Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:45 am

So an outpost will add warrior/defense bonus to warriors which patrol/guard/defend in a square with a building like it?
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Zorlond on Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:45 pm

Hetros wrote:List of ideas for "Upgrade" resources we can construct:

I noticed this among the Farmer actions this turn. So it's in-game now, but unfortunately it takes quite a few seeds to plant one (I think we have enough for 2-3 squares at most), and I'm not sure how we go about getting more seeds.
Zorlond
Vel'akar

Postby Hetros on Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:15 pm

Zorlond wrote:

I noticed this among the Farmer actions this turn. So it's in-game now, but unfortunately it takes quite a few seeds to plant one (I think we have enough for 2-3 squares at most), and I'm not sure how we go about getting more seeds.

I asked Thalar to alter the numbers on what we get out of farms, so that we get a SURPLUS of seeds from each thing. It only makes sense. If something bad happens and our fields get burned, and we have no seeds, then bad shit is going to go down. We need to have a SURPLUS of seeds produced from farms and such :S

James Rye wrote:So an outpost will add warrior/defense bonus to warriors which patrol/guard/defend in a square with a building like it?

Possibly? I have no idea what an outpost would do. I assume so? Possibly they'd create a HUGE bonus, something worthy of taking up a full building slot.

Fortifications and Traps would be more incremental, much smaller bonuses that could be applied everywhere =P
Earth,fire,wind,and water all come together in perfect balance inside of a Smith's forge, this perfect harmony of elements can rarely be found anywhere else in existence.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Zorlond on Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:11 pm

Hetros wrote:
Zorlond wrote:

I asked Thalar to alter the numbers on what we get out of farms, so that we get a SURPLUS of seeds from each thing. It only makes sense. If something bad happens and our fields get burned, and we have no seeds, then bad shit is going to go down. We need to have a SURPLUS of seeds produced from farms and such :S

In which case, I hope we get a 'Gather Mana Seeds' action, I didn't notice one before, but then I wasn't looking for it...
Zorlond
Vel'akar

Postby Nacht on Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:14 am

This is interesting. So we could build a trideer pen to reproduce more trideer?

Might be worth trying out...
Nacht
Summoner

Postby Hetros on Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:20 am

Nacht wrote:This is interesting. So we could build a trideer pen to reproduce more trideer?

Might be worth trying out...

Maybe? I think it would be a part of a "ranch" building though. >> A farm is for plants, a ranch is for animals?
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Return to Community Centre