The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Try to tame Tri-horn deer?

Yes
57%
No
10%
other (comment please)
No votes
I was promised ceak....
33%

Total votes : 21

Tri-horn Deer

Postby Hellsion on Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:03 am

So I and a few others were thinking, why not tame us some deer and use them as cart pullers? I don't think we'll always have those hairy yaks. also, I don't think we can eat them....

its almost spring time which means baby deer should be born soon.

Should we do it?
can we do it?

THIS HAS BEEN AN IDEA FROM THE STATE OF ODD.

need feedback, yo.

the following are excerpts from this site incase you need to know more:
http://www.alaskool.org/projects/reinde ... erder.html
(the grammer is a little off, but understandable as it was written by an eskimo. otherwise its quite lovely)

"We castrate many 3- or 4-year-old bulls. Sometime we castrate yearlings, sometime even few fawns."

"WE TRAIN REINDEER STEER

How we train a reindeer steer to be a sled deer--First lassoed the steer and tie up. Then cut off the horns with saw very short and put on strong halter made of rawhide and use good strong rope. Then tie to strong anchor on ground only 3 feet long rope. After one day tied up with short rope, then next day use longer rope and lead while walk around until he can follow you by the long rope.

When you next tie him up to anchor solid use 4 feet long rope, then next day when come to him he be more gentle and try not kick and jump so much. Always work on his left side and touch him gentle. On 3rd day, you can do the same thing, pulling and leading him with the long rope. If not much kick, you can now try to put the harness on and lead him for awhile before you try to hook up to sled.

Take a light sled and long tow line and then lead him until he anxious to go himself. On the 4th day, you do the same thing but shorten the tow line every time you driving while training sled deer. In 6 days have trained sled deer for to use when you moving the camp or when you traveling. Every time when moving camp, we use 6 or 8 sleds and load our camping outfits. Then we lassoed 16 trained sled deer to pull when we moving our camp."

"Every summer in June, we mark the fawns by ear mark to the owner who belong the reindeer and in the month of first part of August, we castrate the bull and put enough bulls for breeding females. This take one bull for 15 females.

Every 3 years, we make new corral with the willows we cut and then round up all reindeer and count. Every month I make report of reindeer what died or butchered for food or killed in handling. Also keep number how many we have of trained sled deer. "
Hellsion
Vel'akar

Clan: Valley'gurl

Re: Tri-horn Deer

Postby Tsuris on Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:17 am

I havn't seen a Drow next to one or anything so this may sound like a dumb question but..... How big are they? are they big enough to ride or are they like normal deer to a human?
Tsuris'Lok: Demon Shard - RH (retired), Moonless Age
Zan'nah: Highland Raider, Homefront Sealers Division - RH C1, Moonless Age

"It's me. You should have known better."
Tsuris
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Avidavi on Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:22 am

Well, Laerei was depicted carrying one over a shoulder, and in every other picture they have been too small to ride... But... we could do for an actual study action.
Alulienne Nimaraidh Tei'kaliath - Positivity Breeds Creativity!
Current Status of the Grabbed-Up Fauna!
Current Activities of the Grabbin' Up the Fauna Team!
Avidavi
Summoner

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Hellsion on Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:38 am

Tsuris wrote:I havn't seen a Drow next to one or anything so this may sound like a dumb question but..... How big are they? are they big enough to ride or are they like normal deer to a human?

Avidavi wrote:Well, Laerei was depicted carrying one over a shoulder, and in every other picture they have been too small to ride... But... we could do for an actual study action.

I'd say anything from 3'5"-6'5" and 150-500 lbs

lets face it the ones caught could have been yearlings.

also I never said anything about riding.

moar like SANTAS reindeer A.K.A. Pulling sh-stuff
Hellsion
Vel'akar

Clan: Valley'gurl

Postby Jonarus_Drakus on Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:51 pm

I'm not so sure about using them as draft animals specifically... But we should make an attempt to capture a 'breading stock', if for no other reason than to give us a more accessible source of meat (venison), and hides (leather).

Now, where is my caek?

JD
> J'hon D'rak Tei'Kaliath. D'rak Patriarch, KIA on the 12th day of the 3rd Moon
> Eh'rin D'rak Tei'Kaliath. D'rak Dev'ess: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=14467&p=765500#p758482
http://jonarus-drakus.deviantart.com/
Jonarus_Drakus
Vel'akar

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Nacht on Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:19 pm

Wouldn't it be more useful to acquire some male haledri (as I think we only have females) and just breed those? They are already domesticated, and much stronger for pulling heavy loads, and I'm sure we could consume their milk and meat. Just like cows.

Deers are flighty, jump high so would be hard to keep them fenced in, and they just don't have the muscle power of cattle. I think it would be far easier to semi-tame them by putting out feed (grains, hay etc) in winter which would attract them close to the village and increase the population survival.
Nacht
Summoner

Postby Avidavi on Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:10 pm

We cannot acquire male haledri. We can only send our females to be bred. So says the Nals we bought the originals from.
Alulienne Nimaraidh Tei'kaliath - Positivity Breeds Creativity!
Current Status of the Grabbed-Up Fauna!
Current Activities of the Grabbin' Up the Fauna Team!
Avidavi
Summoner

Return to Community Centre