The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Field Ballista - for reference

Postby Timotheus on Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:20 pm

A improved Field Ballista, wood, rope, bone, and leather construction. Some small metal parts would greatly improve its durability but it is functional without them (cord hooks and releases). These illustrations are here for reference to support the EA advice. I'd like to eventually see a dozen of these.
Last edited by Timotheus on Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
If I knew what I was doing I'd be dangerous.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Location: Either building something or kibitzing someone else's project. Mana, boats, and mills!
Clan: Tei'kaliath

Re: Field Ballista - for reference

Postby vitus on Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:11 pm

Very good work - I am just not sure if the "tightenning" wheel could be able to bear such power if not from a metal plus if the triple-tightening via a simple wheel would be possible by drow hands (possibly some transmission might be need small wheel to big weel to be able to better distribute the power). Also this might need 4 squad to manipulate - 2 front squads to "aim" the ballistae left/right position and to re-charge the bolts and 2 back squads to "aim" the ballistae up/down and to tighten the strings.
vitus
Summoner

Postby Timotheus on Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:53 am

Oh, absolutely. A few metal parts would make it a much better weapon, especially a ratchet gear for the torsion coils. The coils are actually adjusted using a much longer bar (mounted on the cart) that fits over the Tee handle and then pegged into place. A inefficient system, but workable and one that doesn't use metal. Right now the idea was to design one that we could build with what was available and could be upgraded.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Location: Either building something or kibitzing someone else's project. Mana, boats, and mills!

Postby vitus on Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:37 pm

Aha - I understand - OK then - if there will be some time window between rescueing Brorn and rescueing someone else we could try to go for it if Thalar allows us to do ;)
vitus
Summoner

Postby Hetros on Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:08 pm

hmmm, throw a golem into that and it can reload MUCH more quickly due to not needing 2-3 people to haul back on the retention wheel. Not immediately necessary of course.

I'd also argue that it'd be better to find a way to TRAIN the gryphon >> but hey, perhaps killing the parent and raising the children would be a better idea neh?
Earth,fire,wind,and water all come together in perfect balance inside of a Smith's forge, this perfect harmony of elements can rarely be found anywhere else in existence.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby minalia on Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:10 pm

We do have gems. We simply lack the metal to make the motor to have the ballista reload faster.
A survivalist should not be a pessimist, he should always be positive, happy and enjoying life more than anyone else because he understands that each minute of peace we have is precious and unique, and he never takes it for granted.
minalia
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Hetros on Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:18 pm

I'm still a -little- confused as to why a golem must be made of metal... aren't they also made of wood and stone at times? I mean we never really -tried- did we?

And I'd like to explore a little more around us before arbitrarily declaring THERE IS NO METAL except 10 days away >>;
Earth,fire,wind,and water all come together in perfect balance inside of a Smith's forge, this perfect harmony of elements can rarely be found anywhere else in existence.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby minalia on Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:26 pm

That's the rule thalar imposed on me. If i want to make a golem it needs to have metal in it. Believe me i tried to talk her out of it but she said no. But when she revealed that all golems must have metals. Well i could not help about that big graveyard of golems our clan passed by when we went to F20.
A survivalist should not be a pessimist, he should always be positive, happy and enjoying life more than anyone else because he understands that each minute of peace we have is precious and unique, and he never takes it for granted.
minalia
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Hetros on Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:15 pm

minalia wrote:That's the rule thalar imposed on me. If i want to make a golem it needs to have metal in it. Believe me i tried to talk her out of it but she said no. But when she revealed that all golems must have metals. Well i could not help about that big graveyard of golems our clan passed by when we went to F20.

I see... so what you're saying is that if we were to happen to head back to F20 and do some salvage work we could increase the amount of tools we have, thus letting us expand to the veins we KNOW exist.

I'm also willing to bet there are veins to the north, but considering how unexplored that part is... well, we might run into trouble...
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby minalia on Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:53 pm

No risks no gain my dear Hetros.
minalia
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Vongemmingen on Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:52 am

Does anyone know exactly which square the broken golems were in? I've been clicking around the map, and I don't see them listed anywhere.
Path to Power character: Det'neb Tei'kaliath, architect.
Vongemmingen
Nether Spawn

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Timotheus on Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:52 am

I've added the rock and smoke/fire bomb launcher arm to the profile drawings. For what it's worth. They should show up as soon as all the internal sites update.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Postby Tohya on Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:55 pm

New Golem Engineer Skill.

Field Ballista
Min Level: 1
Amount of Work: 6 Turns
Class Exp: 10
Skill Exp: 15
Skill Level: 1 (0/200)
Terrain:
Resources: -1 Control Stone, small; -5 Wood, lumber; -20 Iron Bolts; -3 Iron Plating
-> N/A
Local Resources: +1 Field Ballista
Tohya
Vel'akar

Postby Tohya on Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:53 am

I asked Thalar about the field balista, its world setting appropriate design of the field ballista.

It's a field ballista as they would be created in this worldsetting. Too many designs don't take the worldsetting into account, but the actions will.

There will be a warrior action for deploying and packing the field ballistae, allowing them to be moved around the map.
Tohya
Vel'akar

Postby Hetros on Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:56 pm

Alrighty, then 5 ballista should be more than enough, we'll have some for defense and some for offense.

You'll be able to start on the first one next turn. But seriously, any support you could give towards helping make 2 more iron plate actions get done in a single turn would be fantastic >> sooner we can get that done, sooner you'll have all the iron plating you'll need to pump out 5 of these guys.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Next

Return to Community Centre