The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Re: "Grabbing Up the Fauna" Team

Postby James Rye on Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:03 pm

Avidavi wrote:And you would generally make them bigger and meatier by breeding big, meaty males with big, meaty females.

Question is how do we do that in-game?

And i´m fine with not butching the pigs if we build a butchery for the trideer, pigs, birds and fish, so that we can store and rightly butch them, etc.

Also it seems we gonna need a golem factory/garage for the golem. <.<
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Hfar on Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:10 am

For some reason I get the feeling that it'd be difficult to get enough votes to build a slaughter house and we seem to be doing fine with whatever method we're currently using.

So what's the game plan for the next round?
We shall settle this in the ancient way. WITH A CHILDREN'S CARD GAME!
Hfar
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby James Rye on Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:03 am

Rin´s family is getting the honey and wax (i hope so <.<) and check on the bees if they need more bee hives cause new queens are born.

So checking on the pigs, how many male/females/piglings and preggo pigs we got would be a good idea. Same for any idea how to breed them bigger.

And i still say we should butch some (maybe 3) if we can´t get enough meat or fish tomorrow for the dvergar. Fishing takes three day, butching one.
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Wy'shira on Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:36 pm

I contacted Thalar, and she said it's safe to assume that our hunters know the trideer's diet already. So when feeding them (when we get them) we can just call the berries and twigs we might use as treats (ect) "edible berries" and "edible twigs".
What is done under compulsion is done without understanding. There is no more beauty in it than if one should whip and spur a dancer. -Xenophon (paraphrase). Follow your heart.

Wy'shira = Eloh.
Wy'shira
Summoner

Postby Wy'shira on Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:42 pm

If no one minds, I would like to post an action this turn concerning the birds. I really think the birds are just agitated because of migratory patterns or something like that, but if people are worried about them, we could try checking in on them more closely. "Observe captive birds. See if upset over food, habitat, migratory habits." (73)

On a side note, about the trideer: Tim brought up a very good point in the shoutbox about how the trideer does may need more cover in their enclosure. When roe deer (the best comparison we have for trideer) are distressed, they seek out dense undergrowth. If they don't calm down in another turn or so, we could look into moving either several bushes into the enclosure (away from the walls) or make some piles of dead brush for them to hide behind. Possibly both, actually. This is important because wild deer sleep in vegetation. Future mothers could find some comfort in using this simulated "dense undergrowth" (aka, a few piles of brush combined with several bushes) as shelter. They have one little drow-made shelter, but that doesn't provide them much cover. We do want to move in a buck as soon as possible (and having a single buck around will make them feel safer) but we can't do that until the does settle down a bit. Otherwise we'll terrify them out of their wits by adding in a strange male.
What is done under compulsion is done without understanding. There is no more beauty in it than if one should whip and spur a dancer. -Xenophon (paraphrase). Follow your heart.

Wy'shira = Eloh.
Wy'shira
Summoner

Postby James Rye on Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:56 pm

Oh oh oh, this is quite bad...

Those furry insects who ate our mana plants in the plot are the same ones we´ve feed the caught mana rats meaning it looks like this:

Furry Insects -> eats Mana plants/feed of their mana
Mana rats -> eat furry insects, live with/under mana flowers and protects them with their mana draining on bigger foes
Mana flwoers -> gets eaten by Insects, but thus provides mana rats food source, lives with them in symbiose for protection.

If we had managed to tame them we could have improved the safety of our fields, especially the mana one. But now they´re gone after they were neglicted for so long. And the birds and trideers are about to get the same results if not treated properly.....

ALSO GET SOME FRIKKING HONEY ALREADY! D:

We´ve ignored the bee hives for so long i wouldn´t wonder if they had all died and we just didn´t noticed. There were no mention of them in the farm update this EA. -_-
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Wy'shira on Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:35 pm

I suggest we take care of the birds this turn, check on the bees/harvest honey next turn, and then check on the trideer and work with them the turn after. :) We don't want to ignore any of the animals, lest they go the way of the rats. The boars already look healthy... they look so adorable in this EA!

Wy'shira = Eloh.
Wy'shira
Summoner

Postby Wy'shira on Wed May 02, 2012 8:53 pm

Double-post! I feel like a rebel.

I recommend someone post a bird action this turn, unless people want to look after the bees. The does could use another turn to settle down without our interference. The birds want to mate (the "some birds" are probably the males), so I recommend we put a pair of opposite sex birds together and see what happens. I recommend:

"Carefully put a male and female bird in large cage together. Observe." (69)

Because I posted an EA last turn, I'll let you guys discuss it and see if anyone wants to post it. :)
---

ETA: Rilla found this EA Page which implies we have large cages that can be used for this purpose!
Last edited by Wy'shira on Wed May 02, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wy'shira = Eloh.
Wy'shira
Summoner

Postby benuminister on Wed May 02, 2012 8:56 pm

I suggest taking a couple rooks of a house and turning them into rookery rooms where the pairs can be freer to do what they want.

Of course this means bolting a couple windows shut so we have no escapes but I think that will giver them the space they need.
Tei'Kaliath: Biel (Bay-elle) Tel'mari, Forge Master and Novice at the Hammer Toss

EA process:
Friday: Post -> Saturday: Discuss and Edit -> Sunday: Final Draft

The Al'dun, more then just another family.
benuminister
Vel'akar

Postby Avidavi on Wed May 09, 2012 11:43 pm

If the clan doesn't mind, I'd like to post an action to pair up the birds like so... Cage the females separately, pair males to females according to each female's reaction to each individual males?
Alulienne Nimaraidh Tei'kaliath - Positivity Breeds Creativity!
Current Status of the Grabbed-Up Fauna!
Current Activities of the Grabbin' Up the Fauna Team!
Avidavi
Summoner

Postby James Rye on Wed May 09, 2012 11:49 pm

Oh, anyone mind telling me what happend? Thalar still hasn´t got on yet and answered my pms regarding the issue that i can´t log in anylonger. :/

What happend in the EA? D:
Was it good, was it bad?
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Postby minalia on Wed May 09, 2012 11:50 pm

The birds are in the mating season. The 2 birds locked in the cage are making eggs. The ferals cats are responsible for the rats going missing.
A survivalist should not be a pessimist, he should always be positive, happy and enjoying life more than anyone else because he understands that each minute of peace we have is precious and unique, and he never takes it for granted.
minalia
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Wy'shira on Thu May 10, 2012 1:04 am

I posted a list of animal-related objectives in the hunter topic. It's applicable here, so I'll post it here as well! The hunters are doing a bird-related option this turn that will put all the birds in male/female pairs in separate cages. This is because we do not know if it's mating time or if the birds are simply social creatures (the separate bird only started screaming once we left) and this option will solve both potential problems.

On the list of things we need to do soon:

1. Check on those bee hives! Are they still okay? What's going on with them?

2. See if the trideer does are settling in nicely. Do they need more shelter? Can we start adding new does and a single buck soon?

3. Investigate the kitty ferals who released our mana rats. Did they do it on purpose? Are they against us making animals "domestikitty"'d? Do we need to worry about the rest of our livestock, or is this a one-time-thing? (May need to be done in the LA, and it may need to be done after the ferals have calmed down from losing their leader.)
Note: The ferals may not have done it, but we should ask them if they saw anything while playing, at least.

Wy'shira = Eloh.
Wy'shira
Summoner

Postby Timotheus on Thu May 10, 2012 8:05 pm

I hate to say it but when it comes to agriculture you NEED the equivalent of a Ranked to keep track of seasons and timing plant and animal cycles. Without a Ranked or other such designated person with the authority to assign jobs and see that priorities are met, the voluntary oversight of routine agricultural procedures is DOOMED!!!!! Random players do not have the time nor focus to keep track of all the different process cycles or the ability to keep getting enough votes every week to maintain long term operations that are no longer developmental in nature but rather routine drudgery (ie - feed the pigs, weed the fields, check the birds, clean the stalls).

A possibility to ameliorate this situation I'll suggest is to see if Thalar will allow us to appoint a Farm manager (NPC) who will be in charge of overseeing the unseen farm and agricultural workers (faceless, npcs, slaves, idle secondary characters, unclaimed bodies, etc.) to do this work. What would have to be decided is at what point a job would cease to be a "live" developmental one needing active players and could then be handed of to automatons. This would probably be at the discretion of the GM. But it would still relieve a lot of other pressure. (Example of Farm Manager Role, "Farm Manager says it's time to harvest grain. Volunteers needed." "Having finished breeding the neon pink Mana Plants, they are turned over to the Farm Manager to raise with the others." "Farm Manager reports that crossbreeding the pigs with the griffons has resulted in a pig that can escape from their enclosure and that a roofed over pen will have to be devised."

Well, at least it's a suggestion.
If I knew what I was doing I'd be dangerous.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Location: Either building something or kibitzing someone else's project. Mana, boats, and mills!

Postby Wy'shira on Thu May 10, 2012 9:03 pm

That could be very useful, Tim! I don't think it would be that hard for volunteers to keep track of the seasons either, though. It just takes someone who is obsessive enough to start, and then we could keep a record on the forums! :)

Having an NPC do it would be much less time consuming, I'll admit. Maybe we should make our boy Badai finally pull his weight, eh?

Wy'shira = Eloh.
Wy'shira
Summoner

PreviousNext

Return to Community Centre