The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Re: Tei'kaliath Tech Thread

Postby Timotheus on Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:26 am

suntiger745 wrote:Pretty cool designs but I have to wonder, where does the knowledge of this tech com from? Ingame I mean.

We've built spider golems, tank golems, hand held auto fire cross bows, construction cranes, field ballista, fixed ballista, crew serviced heavy mounted auto crossbows, the algae harvester, the boats, theoretically the sawmill as part of the Stone Harbor restoration, a massive retractable drawbridge using counterweights and mana power (at least one, more if the river mouth defenses were built), the wooden ball bug golem, and all sorts of other neat stuff, not to get into the stuff discussed but never made it into the illustrations.

While the ballista themselves have only been shown once in a illustration (just a couple beams of the first crude prototype) their existence, development and production is well documented. The major problem was they became one of the many victims of the map/ work action debacle since we were able to get the make ballista parts into inventory but never got make ballista entered. But we had at least a dozen or more on hand before the time skip and plans to make an upgraded version.

To break down the tech knowledge displayed in this turret:
(Illustrations available on request)

Ballista Mechanism - Ballistas have been built and improved since the surface colony was established.

Reloading/Retensioning of Bow - Auto Crossbows were first introduced by the clan in the under world by the scouts and have been powered up and improved ever since. We have the knowledge to apply to ballista, which are essentially big crossbows.

Turret servos, lifters, arms, whatever you wish to call them - Essentially they're just elbow joints and a swivel, golem components that we've used over and over in the spider golem, the mining golems, and the latest wooden golem. We're familiar with them and their controls so there should be no problem adapting them to this usage.

Structural components - Whatever the ship is made of that we've been repairing it with or what we've been using as a substitute. Wood covered with a mana fired ceramic glaze would work.

Bolt types - While admittedly not very evident in the illustrated story, the design and construction of various specialized ballista and crossbow bolt has been a subject of discussion for as long as we've had crossbows. In text we've gotten flaming bolts, armor piercing, and masonry battering mentioned along with flachette, shrapnel, and spread hook designs proposed. And then there are all the mana art variations.

I think that covers the main design needs.
Last edited by Timotheus on Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I knew what I was doing I'd be dangerous.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Location: Either building something or kibitzing someone else's project. Mana, boats, and mills!
Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby suntiger745 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:58 am

I see. I asked since I hadn't followed the PtP closely and it seemed like a lot of meta knowledge the Tei'kalaith couldn't know ingame had been used, or that they all were engineering geniuses on the level of Da Vinci. ;)
suntiger745
Kern's minion

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Leonis on Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:57 pm

suntiger745 wrote:I see. I asked since I hadn't followed the PtP closely and it seemed like a lot of meta knowledge the Tei'kalaith couldn't know ingame had been used, or that they all were engineering geniuses on the level of Da Vinci. ;)

It is the Latter.... Or more or less we have a FEW Engineering Geniuses working together and building on previous tech. Granted somewhat QUICK Evolution but... *shrugs* Necessity is the mother of invention. And we have had to be inventive. Plus we have had a bit of outside consult on occassion. That Tech clan back in Chel and then the Dvuegar (At least on the city's walls) when we got to the surface.
Leonis
Demon

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby Timotheus on Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:16 pm

Admittedly, the turret ballista was drawn in a bit of tongue in cheek mode. I've done several more realistic and or practical drawings that don't seem to capture the clan's imagination or are too complex for the artist's to render. So inspired by the airship's architecture I decided to go with the flow as it were and draw something up that would fit in with the ship's ambiance.

I could do a fairly convincing interior schematic of the turret if it would be of any value, but I didn't feel like it this time, the exterior being enough to make the point. Plus I don't think it's actually going to go anywhere anyway since I'm pretty sure this isn't what you had in mind.

But the TeiKaliath are very good at taking any technology they can find, mana or physical, and exploiting it to the fullest. As survivalists, we see things in terms of tools to solve problems. So once the problem is defined, we look to see what tools can be used to solve it regardless of source. It makes us inventive.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Location: Either building something or kibitzing someone else's project. Mana, boats, and mills!

Postby Timotheus on Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:45 am

Here's a very basic ballista drawing for a deck mount ballista with no frills, bells, or whistles. It involves no mana to make or use. The rope box is to keep the rope from tangling when a tethered harpoon is launched. A windless or capstan to wind the rope back is not shown.

(this is the same bow design I would use in the turret.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Postby minalia on Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:55 am

Gonna be working on a few key floater projects soon. Just needed to bump this thread on the meantime.
A survivalist should not be a pessimist, he should always be positive, happy and enjoying life more than anyone else because he understands that each minute of peace we have is precious and unique, and he never takes it for granted.
minalia
Dragon of the Nether

Postby minalia on Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:03 pm

[11:15:04 AM] Minalia: i think i figured out how to make mana survival armor
[11:15:26 AM] Minalia: ..its about making a field of mana mist that recycles the mana emited from the body of the warrior
[11:16:29 AM] Minalia: ..it kinda uses the same concept as a sealing stone put in various points in the warriors armor that captures the small amount of mana that leaks out...and releases it back in a small mist like manner back into the armor..course the armor will need to be hermetically sealed
[11:17:00 AM] Minalia: imagine the fremen who had water suits in the movie dune..the concept remains the same

[11:26:35 AM] Kearjih - Mirrvyn: hmm, curious concept
[11:27:34 AM] Kearjih - Mirrvyn: might just work, still be prepared to be shot down
[11:27:53 AM] Kearjih - Mirrvyn: personally I like the Dune reference ;)
[11:28:32 AM] Kai Steinbach: As do I. Interesting concept...
[11:33:06 AM] Minalia: well we know how to make sealing stones
[11:34:37 AM] Minalia: its not a foolproof method
[11:34:47 AM] Minalia: but its honestly the only theory i got that kinda makes sense
[11:35:30 AM] Minalia: it won't stop gradual mana depletion syndrome but it will severely limit the effects by a large margin by bathing the warrior body in recycle mana mist all over his body
[11:38:09 AM] Minalia: well im thinking in most of the torso..back and forward like a vest then the upper legs and upper arms
[11:39:21 AM] Minalia: with the armor on top to serve as protection and a small barrier that keeps some of the mist inside since the vest will be kinda fill with ..intestines like tubes that covers the entire vest fill with mana mist
[11:41:16 AM] Kearjih - Mirrvyn: mhm

[11:42:56 AM] Minalia: that would be the mana receptor vest like suit that keeps the mist inside for a while with the mk3 armor that will be acting like a natural barrier
[11:43:11 AM] Minalia: kinda like how the trees surrounding our city keeps our mana inside
[11:43:57 AM] Minalia: since mana is kinda like water and the mana of the user is 100% harmless to the user

Posted this to keep this idea around to be played around. I just need to kill a few folks and pick up their intestines to start this project.
A survivalist should not be a pessimist, he should always be positive, happy and enjoying life more than anyone else because he understands that each minute of peace we have is precious and unique, and he never takes it for granted.
minalia
Dragon of the Nether

Postby minalia on Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:55 am

Well I making a golem shield project.

This is not a new toy it is actually a old one we once fielded in combat and was proven to be a highly effective tool the warriors once used in combat.

The first version is pretty much a retractable shield with metal plates and wolverine claws to the first section.

first pic depicts how the shield is meant to work. The color of the shield is up to Reza. black or metal grey i care not.

The shield was field tested and shown to be highly effective against goblins like dvergars.

This golem shield can also be used as a punching weapon since it has retractable claws in it.

minalia
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Ash'arion on Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:03 pm

Um, no offense, but he doesn't look any less raggedy than the female next to him who's dual-wielding. Maybe that shield needs some more work before it's taken to battle again.
Ash-
RH: Eyes peeled and heads on a swivel, Shrikes.

MA: Have I mentioned that I hate fire?

Kale'shido- I would've gone to the Sarghress, like the other exiles, but I fear for my family's safety as much as my friends'.
Ash'arion
Vel'akar

Postby Sonor Val'Illhar'dro on Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:47 am

Hello techies! While we did not discover the mana plants I had hoped to find, we did find something bigger and possibly better. The entire core of the island seems to be made of the same material our ship's floater core is made of (no surprise!). I hope you are willing to lend your support to my LA advice to study the core of the island in its entirety
Sonor Val'Illhar'dro
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Timotheus on Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:34 pm

There are certainly possibilities there, but we should be cautious about what we do there. We don't want to upset the dragons by having them think we're messing with their home's engine room.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Postby H'K'Maly on Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:40 am

Attempt to move discussion from warrior thread:

H'K'Maly wrote:
Ash'arion wrote:
H'K'Maly wrote:I would assume drows already HAVE some way to measure mana - and if they won't, it means there are some difficulties with it we wouldn't be able to overcame so easily.

With current available means, they can determine its presence or absence, or its quantity but only in vague terms. When it comes to things like engineering with mana cores, the terms 'a little', 'a lot', and 'too much' are not suitable. Especially when dealing with things that require critical or near-critical levels of charge in a given core, considering that crossing the line leads to a grievously injuring or fatal explosion. Things with a risk like that are NOT suited to guesswork. Therefore, I want to start the process that will lead to our community, if not the drow one overall, being able to actually see where the line is.

I meant that perhaps it would be more useful to simply ask the envoy how Balvhakara calibrate their instruments. Because otherwise we end up with something like imperial units or Fahrenheits against SI.

Yupii! My idea was explored in comics! ... and I see we are already too late for SI. Agneya, Thalamani, Diva, Nin'dil ... bonus points for Diva trying to set up standard, but apparently she wasn't able to force even just Chel to use it. Not enough army, I suppose.

Wonder what standard Snadhya plans to use when she'll get that unique opportunity to set one (by killing most of Chel).
H'K'Maly
Vel'akar

Postby James Rye on Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:25 pm

Because of the EA "hint" where the ferals demanded new and better fitting weapons for them, I posted this action:

@Smiths&Ferals: What's best weapon for ferals? Clawhands/poison dagger/bow?

I hope for some clues of GM of what ferals would be best in/fits them the most to fight armor. Since we have so many active ferals, I think it would be wise to give them a "battle upgrade" so that they can fight besides us. So far they have no armor at all and we mostly saw them use their claws or small daggers in the comic, giving them more "battle power" aka new weapons would make our feral members be more versatile in combat situations, like instead of only scout and stealth action, they could with new weapons do assassin and sabotage missions without us sending too many drows with them.

It's just an idea though but I do think it could do our clan quite some good if our ferals gets better weapons. :)

All that's left are some votes to see if my hunch was right about the hint or not.^^

Though I guess then it would be up to you guys to come up with ideas what exactly can make those little fuzzy guys dangerous against armored enemies, but that's why I hope for a hint of the GM to make that idea gathering easier. :)
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Ash'arion on Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:16 am

Oh look, following Min's advice turned out to bite me in the ass. Excuse me for a minute while I try to act surprised.
Ash-
RH: Eyes peeled and heads on a swivel, Shrikes.

MA: Have I mentioned that I hate fire?

Kale'shido- I would've gone to the Sarghress, like the other exiles, but I fear for my family's safety as much as my friends'.
Ash'arion
Vel'akar

Postby demonthault on Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:08 am

Ash'arion wrote:Oh look, following Min's advice turned out to bite me in the ass. Excuse me for a minute while I try to act surprised.

Is that Min-tech in action?
*starts Powerpoint presentation so Daven can convince Brook of the goodness o shinies*
-Mirrvyn
demonthault
Summoner

PreviousNext

Return to Community Centre