The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Due'gar's Dugout

Postby Writer on Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:29 am

Welcome to the builder thread. I'm Due'gar, the Architect.

I don't bite, I can handle criticism and I accept help (in fact, I appreciate both!). If you've got anything at all on your mind, especially complaints, criticisms, suggestions and/or ideas/drawings for builder projects/actions; don't be afraid to tell me! Whether that's here in this thread or by PM is entirely up to you, but I'll do my best to get back to you in a well-timed and courteous fashion. Don't go thinking I can manage without you...You're the ones that make my work possible.

These are the clan's builders.

I'll be featuring the builders in a round robin system, two at a time. Nobody gets featured anew until everyone's been featured once, and I might occasionally add in a bonus slot for people who put in effort to help the clan and be active. This is the fairest way I can do this, and seeing as the builders currently are so few, this means that you'll get featured fairly often.

Current SiC is Merlune.

This is The List. Fear The List, for it is large and fearsome.
(Currently the list is also in severe need of updating and revision. Bear with me.)

• Build pillars and extrusions on the walls in the slavequarters to hang mattocks from. - Request by Ka'hab. (Have we done this? I can't remember. Also, it's pretty damn micro.)
    -
  • Help build a bath house. - Suggestion by Ka'hab to improve the health and hygiene of the clan. The engineers have proven they can build a water warmer with the right resources. (AUGH THIS WILL NEVER BE DONE)
    -
  • Build a sparring arena/area for the clan. - Suggestion by Picanet. Sounded cool, so it's now on my 'To Do'. (Low-priority at the moment.)
    -
  • Street repair/upgrade. - Making our streets look nice, smooth and pretteh could be a boost to the overall appearance of our town, and remove possible dangerous traffic potholes, etc...Bottom priority at the moment. I just keep it here as a reminder, in case I have nothing else to do, or a Ther'avare upgrade is actually deemed necessary.
    -
  • Construct trade roads - Roads passing through Ther'avare to ease trade and encourage visitors. Suggested by our trader friends.
    -
  • Construct civilian housing - One of the many possibilities mentioned to us.

Security:

• Clear the Chel tower rubble/rebuild the tower - What it says.
    AND/OR
  • Construct a new overlook tower - As per Ein'keos' suggestion. Modified?
  • Gate upgrading - 4 possible gate upgrades.
  • Create a proper guard post at the Overworld Exit - Potential action. I might chat with Shiir about it.

Miscellaneous (not exactly building) tasks:

• The ruins to the NE. - These are old ruins, possibly duergar in nature. There might still be something valuable lying around in them, but for the moment they are structurally unsound and might need our expertise to be allowed to be fully explored safely. EA day 36 reports that clearing the rubble inside the ruins will have a large chance of creating a cave in.
  • Investigate Ther'avare water source. - Where does it come from? Possible secondary action.

Italized headers are ideas, possibly useful and completable, possibly not, or just possibly needing some work (or approval!) idea-wise. Bold headers are actions we've been requested to do by another ranked member, or actions which I think we should do based on my own subjective point of view.
Last edited by Writer on Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:50 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Due'gar Tolmen Tei'Kaliath - A busy builder.

A day at work. - "I wish...Um. Nevermind."

Thoughts are like arrows: once released, they strike their mark. Guard them well or one day you may be your own victim. - Navajo proverb.
Writer
Vel'akar

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Re: Due'gar's Dugout

Postby kirio on Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:19 am

Congratulations Writer!
I know you've been working hard to keep the builders on track with the regular jobs cue posts practically since you joined P2P and participated a lot in the other ranked suggestions threads. Good luck with all the new responsibility.

I hope Due'gar can get the Chel job taken care of soon since the Engineer and tech staff be needing help installing the pipe for the baths soon. (as soon as we can get the pipe made and laid under the street with the help of the miners. ^^; )
Mana allows us to feel our connection to the world through the elements. Become one with that which thou wouldst change and the magic becomes effortless.
Cloudless Mind
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Nagimalice on Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:33 am

Well welcome and good luck Due'gar,

I like the listings.. But a couple of things for your blacksmiths stuff.

First, i have your sledgehammers on the to-do list for me, but they might take some time since there's the push to arm the warriors.

I kinda took over the top floor/outer ledge of the water supply room raher then have a new one made.., i don't think i need more building but perhaps a railing and some shelves/ racks in the room would work,(( i'll get an image up so you see what i mean...))
I don't wanna work.. I wanna sit around and bang on the forge all day."
Nagimalice
Vel'akar

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Finish on Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:23 pm

Congratulation to your "promotion" Writer... and now let's build some stuff. ;) :D

The house job could indeed a way to gain good Ada. However, we should be careful that the guy don't cheat us. Also I wonder why nobody took this job so far? Is there a lack of skilled builders in Chel or is there another reason?
Other important questions would be the payment (of course :D), the time we need, the size of the house, special requests of the customer (water ditch, maze, privat zoo...) and so one.

Also we have to think about the resources. In the best case there's enough material around, in the worse case we have to transport stones from Ther to the buliding and in the worsest case the guy want
a special typ of stone (you know marble stairs and all that stuff).

Another point we should talk about before starting the project would be the windows: Maybe that guy what glass windows, then we must try to talk it out of him or find out from where we get it.

And finally we may need the help of the Techs for the water pipes and all the other stuff.

Most likely we don't have to take care of all those details, but it's always good to be prepared - just in case. At least then you can perpare for the worst case. :)
Finish
Merc on vacation

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby FSEffect on Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:48 pm

Congratulations on your promotion architect :D
"People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people"

Clan's designated marksman
Kerr Nigit

Kerr's sister and relic hunter
Kay Nigit
FSEffect
Vel'akar

Postby Thorn on Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:03 pm

The fact your first post is larger than probably every post i've made on my thread is encouraging. Good luck man :)
Thorn
Demon

Postby Frost Indri on Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:31 pm

Hey! Congrats and good luck.

I'm going to rescind the kiln request. Apparently, I don't have to actively glaze and since nothing's been said about the kiln NOT working, I'm going to assume that it is. At the very least, put it way down on the bottom of the list.

As for the loft... did I request a loft? I don't remember it? *is confused* Unless there's the talk over at the living quarters thread, but that was talking about using that large main building... I'm not going to say no to more space, but I'd love to remember where it came from. I just don't think it should be a high priority at this time.

Thanks for putting out your todo list! :)
Ka'hab, the potter.
Frost Indri
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Writer on Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:53 pm

Thank you, everyone, for your kind words! *blush*

@Kirio: We'll see how long it takes. I'm hoping that it'll take some three or four turns tops, at which point we can get paid and hop to work on whatever is needed for the bath house...But I wouldn't be surprised if it takes longer, or if we meet complications. What -does- surprise me though is: The water heater was build atop the building with the one bath we have available already. Isn't that in An'jhali's Den? We can't build a public bath house there! Can we?

@Nagimalice: Gotcha. I'll change it to 'improve blacksmiths' smithy', and we can work out what builder details about it that needs improving...Shelves and such might be the work of crafters, though I could try to set the builders on making some stone ones, so we can see. Railings would probably be us, but what would these railings be used for? Prevent people from falling into the forge? xD

@Finish: I'll admit, my first draft included dealing with most of those details. My action ended up being three paragraphs long, and Picanet was kind enough to skin my hide with regards to that length when I showed it to her for some preemptive feedback. She helped question what was strictly needed, to shorten it down, pointing out what was acceptable and what was too micro-oriented to include...And looking at it, I agreed fully with her. We shouldn't have to ask what kinds of rock the merchant wants used, where we can get that rock, and the details of payment...Those all go under the simple designation of 'discuss construction details'. If we need help from the engineers, or with anything else, I'm sure Kern will give us a hint or prompt.

In short: Simple is good, and short is good. If we don't -have- to include it and it looks like Kern will handle those details and/or give us more feedback on what we're supposed to do, then I'll try to leave it out. I appreciate you taking the time giving me feedback, though, and I'm still tempted to toss in a request with regards to how much time it will take...But the fact is that we'll take on this job and complete it no matter how long it takes (within reason) anyway, so it doesn't really matter then, does it?

@Frost Indri: Oy, vey. The loft thing is a -long- time ago, and making it a loft was my interpretation of your request. You asked if you could get some living quarters built on to your crafter studio, from what I recall (but I could be mistaken), and since space building sideways is at a premium, I interpreted that as building up...If you do want a second floor to your building, I'll keep it on the list as a low-priority task. Thank you for informing me on that kiln request. I'll put it on the very lowermost priority rung...And if you find out that you really don't need it, just tell me and I'll remove it altogether. Conversely, if you find out that you need it, tell me, and I'll bump it up priority-wise.

Also, New and Improved Action(TM) is up, and submitted!

Thoughts are like arrows: once released, they strike their mark. Guard them well or one day you may be your own victim. - Navajo proverb.
Writer
Vel'akar

Postby Thorn on Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:51 pm

*hangs around the place with a mushroom beer*

"I COULD OF BEEN A CONTENDAH *hick*"

8P
Thorn
Demon

Postby Finish on Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:56 pm

Writer wrote:@Finish: I'll admit, my first draft included dealing with most of those details. My action ended up being three paragraphs long, and Picanet was kind enough to skin my hide with regards to that length when I showed it to her for some preemptive feedback. She helped question what was strictly needed, to shorten it down, pointing out what was acceptable and what was too micro-oriented to include...And looking at it, I agreed fully with her. We shouldn't have to ask what kinds of rock the merchant wants used, where we can get that rock, and the details of payment...Those all go under the simple designation of 'discuss construction details'. If we need help from the engineers, or with anything else, I'm sure Kern will give us a hint or prompt.

In short: Simple is good, and short is good. If we don't -have- to include it and it looks like Kern will handle those details and/or give us more feedback on what we're supposed to do, then I'll try to leave it out.

Ok I probably was a bit to wonkish. :D I just feared that we could start the job and after a few days notice that we couldn't finish it because we lack the materials or skills. But you're right, Kern wouldn't give us a unresolvable task. Unless it's self-made. ;)

Writer wrote:I appreciate you taking the time giving me feedback, though, and I'm still tempted to toss in a request with regards to how much time it will take...But the fact is that we'll take on this job and complete it no matter how long it takes (within reason) anyway, so it doesn't really matter then, does it?

Ture. All in all it doesn't matter how long this will takes - unless we are busy the whole next month (in-game) with this project :D. But we would be able to compared the used time with the payment. For example: Should we take that job if we have to spent ten days on it and only get 5 Ada? Probably not. The Techs - for example - got 85 Adas for a one-day job.
Finish
Merc on vacation

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Writer on Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:00 am

Alright, all you idle hands! It seems we've got ourselves a house to build! And for a sweet little sum of monies too. Now...Anyone have any thoughts they'd like to share?

I'm gonna officially gamble (for now) that the house is going to be built outside of Ther'avare cavern, since the EA mentions a 'river bed' and some short distance outside our cavern is the dry river bed that the scouts found salt in. In any case, 300 ada means a lot of motivation to get this done, and get it done right, so give me your best critiques.

Next Action: (Architect) Fundamental progress

PRIMARY ACTION ATTEMPT: Start building the trader building.
JOINT ACTION WITH: Overseers.
GOAL: Complete as much as possible of the building, while following the trader's specifications.
SHOW: Luthe'rian and Yetseth.

-A construction design is set up as per the trader's specifications.
-The builders then head out to the area indicated by the trader and finds a good spot to set up.
-With the slaves for manual labour and bringing rocks from the quarry, they begin constructing the basic fundaments and go on to complete as much of the construction as possible that day.
-Due'gar tries diligently to make sure that the work remains of good quality and that no mistakes are made during the construction.

Resources requested: Pack Lizard (1), Helmet Worker (2), Rock (*), Slaves (10).

*As many as needed.

Writer
Vel'akar

Postby benuminister on Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:23 am

The only thing that comes to mind is outlining with the merchant what is and what isn't their land. Besides that I have no complains for 300 ada.
Tei'Kaliath: Biel (Bay-elle) Tel'mari, Forge Master and Novice at the Hammer Toss

EA process:
Friday: Post -> Saturday: Discuss and Edit -> Sunday: Final Draft

The Al'dun, more then just another family.
benuminister
Vel'akar

Postby Idunyken on Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:27 am

for 300 ada he could have a penthouse above Anjhali's den as far as I'm concerned :3

(grats writer!)
PtP - Iduken'di the hoodie-wearing brickie!
"Badai lost his arm intentionally, to give the rest of the world half a chance"
Idunyken
Vel'akar

Location: In a log cabin with beers cooling in the snow outside...livin' the dream!

Postby Lordof??? on Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:46 am

If there is salt in that area we may wish to place his house away from it. (Also salt is a valuable commodity for food preservation and would be useful to the harvesters)

We can also build a small wall around his property to give him a boundary. And i would suggest being vaguely generous in the house size and land plot.

I would also say that we may need to prepare the site for construction (Eg levelling the ground etc. ) as it may allow us to clear away any salt from the immediate area.
Lordof???
Summoner

Postby KyoKvl on Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:23 am

am I right to assume the Trader wanted it somewhere in the general area I circled in the map?

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/9822/chelmap.jpg
"I know not what the future holds, but I know who holds it."
Profile: Rahil'rez Tei'kaliath
KyoKvl
Tainted

Next

Return to Community Centre