The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Postby kirio on Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:34 pm

Here's the colored version thanks to the incredible Lady Tenkage.

I'm posting it here, too, since the image is so tiny in the character popup.
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Frost Indri on Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:59 pm

So I was doodling while doing chores (AKA the wash).
Image Grrr... the shrinkage blurred up the face. I'll have to do something about that later.

Anyhow, thought I'd give your charicter a go, Thorn.
Frost Indri
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Q on Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:14 pm

*really wishes he had a scanner, so many drawings I can't share with you guys :c
Q
Demon

Postby Thorn on Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:56 pm

Wow thanks frost! Alot better posing than I could come up with, and the colors are nice.

Though it seems every image of Ros'ij so far makes her look male :ohnoes:
Thorn
Demon

Postby Hetros on Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:33 pm

every time I see that colored drawing from Lady Tenkage and Kirio I think of the same word:
Busted!
Last edited by Hetros on Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Lady Tenkage on Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:27 am

Hetros wrote:every time I see that colored drawing of Lady Tenkage I think of the same word:
Busted!

Heh, doesn't it though? ^__^

I think I'm gonna change the deal with Ys'sa's tattoo back to a brand- I just like it better. I'll say she can't remember where she got it. Off to edit!
Lady Tenkage
Demon

Postby Madea on Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:13 am

She can't remember... that kind of thing really needs to have a story, even if Ys'sa has repressed it; you, the storyteller, should know it. There's nothing saying that branding was considered a real mark of strength by certain rough-and-tough soldiers she was acquainted with, as it bloody well hurts like mad.

By the same token, though, it won't really appear as boldly as a tattoo would; it would be scarred flesh instead of inked flesh.

It's your character, but I think the tattoo was very fetching. The brand, while certainly having a more visceral impact, isn't nearly as visible (not to mention have an entirely different effect than a tattoo seeing as she displays them the whole time).

While our group seems to have a tradition of tattoos (probably done a nice old style with lots of needle pricks; fun!), I think branding would be a bit... mm.. alarming for most. Think of it like this; Dark Elven culture is one of beauty and art, and tattooing is a natural branch of that, what with complex patterns - it's already known as a Dark Elf tradition.

Scarification and mutilating the body isn't... the Xuile'solen might do it because they depend on touch, so such a thing would make their body *unique* and *interesting*. To the drow perspective, it's completely disgusting... it doesn't celebrate the beauty of the body, but breaks it.

Anyways, just some random thoughts for consideration.
Madea
Pineapple Warmaster

Location: In EVA above Green Ball, surrounded by Space Kitties!
Clan: Sharen

Postby Hetros on Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:18 am

To Quote Nobby Nobs from Terry Pratchet's Diskworld Series.
"Oh come on Sarge, you know it ain't a proper tattoo unless nobody remembers how it got there"
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Lady Tenkage on Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:31 am

*sigh* I guess you've gotta point, Thalar... I just can't seem to think of a good story for the tattoo, though. I like the design, 'n all, and it definitely strikes me as something Ys'sa would want to display, all the time... Hmm, maybe if I focus on that, I can come up with a good meaning and a slight back-story. expect an edit on that, sometime soon.
Lady Tenkage
Demon

Postby Hetros on Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:38 am

Lady Tenkage wrote:*sigh* I guess you've gotta point, Thalar... I just can't seem to think of a good story for the tattoo, though. I like the design, 'n all, and it definitely strikes me as something Ys'sa would want to display, all the time... Hmm, maybe if I focus on that, I can come up with a good meaning and a slight back-story. expect an edit on that, sometime soon.

I'm telling ya, she got drunk with her friends, they had a night on the town, wakes up in the barracks with no idea how she got the tattoo. Comedic and solves the problem.
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Kail'odian on Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:45 am

Lady Tenkage wrote:*sigh* I guess you've gotta point, Thalar...

As much as those two think alike, that wasn't Thalar, that was Madea! :>

As for deciding whether the markings be a branding or a tattoo, in drow culture, tattoos are a sign of artistic expression and culture as much as hair colouring is.

Branding I suppose can be considered like heavy tainting, since the more taint someone has, it deforms and scars the body.

Just my two ada.
Kail'odian
Vel'akar

Postby Madea on Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:55 am

Cheer up, Tenkaga-chaa~an! It could be a pattern she liked; something that came from a long-time story about a beautiful flower on the surface. Or it could just as well be something passed down in her family or, even better, an ancient symbol that the first born daughter of each generation gets, if they prove themselves!

For instance, Shiir's shoulder tattoo is an ancient symbol passed down in his family so far that nobody knows what it means, anymore, they just know it's called the "four winds pattern".

Additionally, it could be a tattoo indicative of her Tir'ay school, something that represents her Self. Or maybe its a mark she made growing up, signifying some important event in her life; it's meaning clear only to her and those she's told.

The possibilities are quite limitless!

Kail'odian wrote:Just my two ada.

YOU HAVE TWO ADA?! HOLDIN' OUT ON TH' CLAN, EH?

XD
Madea
Pineapple Warmaster

Location: In EVA above Green Ball, surrounded by Space Kitties!

Postby Frost Indri on Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:00 am

1, that ain't no male. I just don't do Pamala Anderson on every chick I draw. I was acually drawing from reference, female, with staff. The hips are at an angle, but they aren't going to be found on any guy you've seen.

2. Your character lacks typical visual cues. Short hair, with a High contrast up front to pull the eye away from the back and make it look even shorter. The slash of color will diminish the perpective on the boobs unless you make it skin tight. Baggy pants will diminish the effects of feminine curves, and there are a lot of strait lines streamlining the body, emphasizing andrgony.

*shrugs* There are plenty of girls who look like that. I like the look personally, that's why I drew it. :)

----

And don't worry about Ys'sa's tat. :) Symbols and ornamental designs have traversed cultures before, and lost all real meaning. Look at the vine scroll for an example. It originated first in egypt and went to greece, both being places that they had grapes. It then traveled all the way to India, where they don't have any grapes, but they still carved vinescrolls with grapes as a decoration. Granted, the grapes were framed most unrealistically in the leaves, but, hey, they'd never seen a grape vine in their lives. :)

It could be that the tattoo has personal meaning without being anything other than a take on a traditional ornament. :)
Last edited by Frost Indri on Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frost Indri
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Lady Tenkage on Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:02 am

Gah! I am just OUT of it tonight! I need some tea... I'll make some in a minit.

Madea: (Corrections on the name from before-sorry!) Those are a lot of good ideas... Damn, do I wish I could think better! *lol* I must be really out of it, right now. Odd, since I'm not particularly sleepy. Well, as I said, I just need some tea, and all will be well.

(Maybe I'm so out of it because I'm still too focused on my cosplays??)
Lady Tenkage
Demon

Postby Kail'odian on Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:07 am

Madea wrote:YOU HAVE TWO ADA?! HOLDIN' OUT ON TH' CLAN, EH?

XD

Gah! Me? Nooo, whadd'ya mean?

*Hides two ada* Nope. No Ada.

:>
Kail'odian
Vel'akar

PreviousNext

Return to Community Centre