The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Where should we establish our home ?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:09 pm

Ruins
96%
Down the cliff
4%
Mysterious Gate
No votes
Up the cliff
No votes
down the river ( stay where we are )
No votes
up the river ( farther west )
No votes
north of the cave
No votes

Total votes : 25

Postby Lordof??? on Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:21 pm

Stone is of course the main building material available.

But there has to be other materials since its would be impossible to construct some of the building we have seen with out it.

The main alternative i can think of would be metal.

Or if our clan had the skills the organic material used to create golems.
Lordof???
Summoner

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby kirio on Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:31 pm

Dry laid stone, properly shaped, will stand for thousands of years. Ever seen a close up of the walls of Macchu Picchu? Plus with the skills of a stone mason who is also an earth sorcerer, there is no need whatsoever for grouting. Joints could be smoothed over to make a single unbroken wall of stone that merges seamlessly with the ceiling. It would even be possible to reinforce a solid granate wall with embedded steel bars. Foundation pilings could be sunk with bare hands. Arches could be smoothed and shaped to exactly destribute the stress of the overlying weight. Best of all, once the structure was finished the magic would no longer be necessary because the stresses on the building would be balanced.
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Hetros on Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:14 pm

and how much mana would that take?
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Meska369 on Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:42 pm

Glass. If ther is sand, sandstone, then we also have the ability to make glass.

As for mana:

Not too much if you do it bit by bit.

Try to repair that ruin in a day...Deva power only. In a month or 6...not too hard.

Once we get a descent survey of the building, it's flaws and needed modifications.... Then we can sit down with an Archetect and make a series of plans to work as stages in the rebuilding process. It's gonna take a bit of time to rebuild but once done, that place is going to be an Outstanding home.

*thought pops into her head*

Anyone thought about the possibility that this ruin might be the Val'Duten'vir fortress? That would be neat.
Meska369
Dragon of the Nether

Location: When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

Postby Thalar on Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:52 pm

It's not, it's a different part of the city.

Kern posted this in the News some time ago.
We're at 12, the Dutan'vir were at 9.
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby Meska369 on Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:05 pm

LOL!

WEll that blows MY therory right out of the water.

*le sigh*

Oh well.

*looks at map*

LOOK! FARM LAND! WHOO HOO! I told you farming was possible.
Meska369
Dragon of the Nether

Location: When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

Postby Thalar on Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:13 pm

Mushroom farming, yes.
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby Hetros on Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:27 pm

Yeah, but that's also the minor clan's holdings... it looks like first contact will be made with them, Beldrobaer or Nalsorkoth, and possibly Sargeress... but only if the mysterious Golem guarded cavern leads to their holdings... which is doubtful...

now I have a suspicion... another clan, unnamed, attack Nalsorkoth, they were defeated eventually. It doesn't say if this clan still exists... somehow I doubt it since they pissed off a major clan. What if we are at their old home? Or even crazier, what if we are at Nalsorkoth's old home!?! after all, they abandoned their first fortress in favor of a newer dwarf built one. And the old one was looted by the invading clan. If this is the case, that we are at Nal's old home, we must be VERY VERY VERY careful... apparently it was filled with traps, magical and mundane.

Here's the link to the page where I got this info:
http://www.drowtales.com/~wiki/index.ph ... %27Sarkoth

It could even be that the ruins the golems are guarding are the real fortress, and this was just an outpost (doubt it).

Any thoughts on this?
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Meska369 on Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:32 pm

hmm...

Well this goes back to my "tread carefully" idea of a good survey of the place before the Clan rushes in.

Even if NOT that fortress... no previousfortification would be worth anything if you don't have magical/non magical traps etc.

Personlly, I figure that we are NOT going to be in any Cannon Fortress at all. Just some un named place...untill we find a name for them.
Meska369
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Dice Warwick on Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:07 am

That would men there would be allot of loot in the ruins... and traps.

if thats true then we should only send small groups at a time, thus no massive deaths, when someone triggers a giant bolders to role at us.
Dice Warwick
Morrock Oracle

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Frost Indri on Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:42 am

Or causes the large hary troll to call them down upon us...
Frost Indri
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Meska369 on Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:42 am

send in misbehaving Slaves as punishment?

*shows her rarely seen Canine Teeth as she grins*
Meska369
Dragon of the Nether

Postby kirio on Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:01 am

Hetros wrote:and how much mana would that take?

Joining stone blocks seamlessly should be no more energy intensive than heating rocks for cooking, but would require either an earth sorcerer or a highly trained faern. Forming arch supports and ceilings to match stresses would only be possible for a highly trained earth sorcerer capable of 'feeling' the stresses on the stone itself and require energy for a perfect melding which would be as great as your current work softening metal for shaping.

That being the case, I would expect some peasant houses and all farm borders, and irrigation systems to be built of dry laid stone blocks because of the sheer volume of stone required for the tasks.
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Nerev on Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:55 am

Having not read the rest of the topic...

The ruins are the best spot we've seen thus far - they're in a defensible position on top of a hill, with a good vantage point of this cavern I believe we can now consider our home. They'll need some fixing up, but unless the place is a total wreck it'll be better to repair it than dismantle it and start from scratch. What we should be cautious about, though, is their structural integrity - last thing we need is to come in and try to inhabit the place, only for it to collapse right on top of us. Our current camp at the river will do for now - it's close to food and water, and in a relatively defensible position up in a "corner" of the cavern. Potential attackers would likely come from Chel'El'Sussoloth - unless we managed to piss off some dwarves on the way here - so they'd obviously have to come at us from that direction, unless they want to take the time sneaking around behind us.

For now, I vote we thoroughly examine and chart the ruins before we even think of moving there. Even ignoring the issue of the runaway slaves (who might not want to share their hideout, and we shouldn't be risking resources and manpower getting into a fight with them right now), there could be other baddies inside somewhere, and like I said earlier we have to be wary of their overall stability. Once we have enough rested, trained, and/or equipped personnel, we can take a harder look at them and make preparations for moving the clan.
Nerev
Summoner

Location: If only my gi was oranger I could grow a monkey tail.
Clan: Vloz'ress

Previous

Return to Community Centre