The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

What to do about the slaves

Postby kirio on Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:26 am

As I mentioned in the update thread, we don't know,exactly, how many slaves are in the room that Quel discovered. What we do know is that one of them (the fellow with the shiv) is frightened to the point of being irrational. In spite of the fact that the other slaves know that their position is as obvious as a lighthouse because of his terror of the dark, none of them is willing to force him to cancel the spell.

This tells us a lot both about the guy with the shiv and the other slaves. First, it sounds like most or possibly all escaped from the same master, so their fear of pursuit may be largly imaginary since it costs more to send out an expedition to capture runaways than to buy replacements.

Second, the guy with the shiv is probably the leader and mostly because everyone else is frightened of him. Confront them with slightly greater numbers, armed, with reinforcments hidden around a corner. Treat him as their spokesman and offer them the choice of humane servitude or death (which in our despiriate situation all that we can afford to offer). When he almost certainly refuses and tries to get the other slaves to attack, kill him quickly and renew the offer to the remaining slaves.
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Miburo on Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:32 am

Not much to add here, I totally agree with Kirio. The "leader" neds to be dealt with delicatly, one wrong word might set him of like gunpower. if we play it right we might get them all to cooperate. If things go wrong and we can eliminate him he, the others might be easily scared into submission.

I aslo think the problem of the ex-masters might be less then we expect (ofcourse we should never underestimate it). If they really came to search for them we might still have a lot of time, the city of Chel and it's surrounding caverns are huge, with a bit of luck we might be totally settled and prepared by the time the ex-masters find us.
I am wondering about slave-ownership rights in the drowtales world settings, I hope it's finders-keepers.
Miburo
Vel'akar

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby AuroraDragonKaya on Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:43 am

"Ownership is 9/10ths of the law" or however the saying goes. :3

Kirio, I agree completely.
Most of the slaves are scared and would submit quickly to avoid injury. It's the arena slave thats panicked, irrational and dangerous.
If he has to be taken out, so be it, but if he was, I think you're right and the others would be very likely to fall in line.

However, ideally, he would not have to be taken out. So long as we have a very good diplomat. ;)
AuroraDragonKaya
Demon

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby kirio on Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:47 am

Well, it's more of a takers keepers system when it comes to clan conflicts. As far as runaways are concerned, that may well be the case. As chaotic as drow society is law enforsement could not be bothered with helping incompetant owners in tracking down AWOL slaves. That being the case, the only owner who would have the means to organize and equip a capture mission would be a slave trader or an obsessed loony willing to go bankrupt just to prove a point to mere slaves.
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Zorlond on Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:14 am

Never underestimate the power of a nut-job...

That goes for the armed slave and whatever master they ran from... (had to be pretty bad for them to just make a dash for the hills)
Zorlond
Vel'akar

Postby kirio on Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:09 am

Zorlond wrote:Never underestimate the power of a nut-job...

That goes for the armed slave and whatever master they ran from... (had to be pretty bad for them to just make a dash for the hills)

:lol:
True. Although we probably have only one crazy to deal with in the tower. And, while I think the chances of the owner having been a dealer or nut-case are small the risk to us from the owner is the same whether we take in the slaves in some capacity or not.

One thing we need to do quickly is to assure that they don't leave this cavern by the passage that leads toward the light for any reason.
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Thalar on Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:04 am

I'm not sure the guy with the sharp piece of metal is an arena slave, what if "the pit" was just some punishment method, or maybe they worked in a dark mine?

The scars on his back are whip scars, not arena scars.

Anyway, I second what's been said. We deal with this guy, the others might not resist.. As long as we don't outrage them with our dealings.. I do believe our Ilharess mentioned something about needing a diplomat when the time was right.
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby kirio on Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:15 am

True, when that page first went up I immediately connected 'the pit' with the barracks at The Black Tavern for some reason, sorry. Anyway, if we just leave them there we'll still have to deal with their owner(s) if/when they show up. We can't afford to let them leave. We're still too tempting a target for an organized slave raid. The Il'haress is right to be concerned.
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Frost Indri on Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:42 pm

I say plan on killing the leader from the start. Don't just walk in and off him, but use him to show the other slaves that we are rational, confadent, and have brains and are not afraid to use them. He should be irrational and scared, maybe not acting in the best way for the other slaves. He would show them for us that they'd be better off with us, even as slaves. Then we can off him, and get some meat.
Frost Indri
Dragon of the Nether

Postby kirio on Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:45 pm

:shock:

That's a rather blunt way of putting it, but yes, that's basically what I had in mind.
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Hetros on Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:04 pm

I like this idea... might I ask that Frost Indri shoot for the diplomat rank if one should appear... she's been a voice of reason for the entire time she's been here.
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Madea on Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Provided this is a matter for diplomacy. In all honesty, I seriously doubt we're going to negotiate with slaves (it's just a matter of panel availability, if nothing else).

If anything, when we eventually have enough supplies that we vote for the Ilharess to order us to take the ruins, the fine details will be up to the storyteller, not us.

Additionally, there aren't many slaves. The script said "a few". It's not a large group so I doubt we'd have much trouble.

-toodles off to the registration thread-
Madea
Pineapple Warmaster

Location: In EVA above Green Ball, surrounded by Space Kitties!
Clan: Sharen

Postby Ayame on Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:32 pm

To be honest, and I don't mean to sound cold here, but they are just slaves. You can't really expect the Ill'haress to seriously consider negotiating with slaves or even sending an envoy to do so. They are slaves and will most likel;y be treated as such. If they put up a fight then they get put down, if not then we add them to our own stock.
Ayame
Tainted

Postby AuroraDragonKaya on Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:35 pm

I think someone with skills in diplomacy would be needed, actually.
Not the Ilharess herself, actually.
But someone who knows how to negotiate and talk to people (accompanied, of course, with guards) could placate them and make them ours with the least amount of losses (whether those losses be simple injury or death of them or us.)

These slaves are clearly panicked, having someone to convince them this is in their best interest will go a lot faster then trying to take the conquerer approach.

We shouldn't risk people being injured because they are 'just slaves.' We really don't need more losses right now.
AuroraDragonKaya
Demon

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Kail'odian on Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:36 pm

Ayame wrote:To be honest, and I don't mean to sound cold here, but they are just slaves. You can't really expect the Ill'haress to seriously consider negotiating with slaves or even sending an envoy to do so. They are slaves and will most likely be treated as such. If they put up a fight then they get put down, if not then we add them to our own stock.

Ayame is right. This is the way of the drow. While hard for some, we have to stop thinking human in P2P.
Kail'odian
Vel'akar

Clan: Sharen

Next

Return to Community Centre