The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Postby Nagimalice on Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:44 am

"But why would the algae taste like humans?"
Nagimalice
Vel'akar

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Lady Tenkage on Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:47 am

Soylent green is people!! They're people!!!!!!!
Lady Tenkage
Demon

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Zorlond on Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:33 am

Well of course it is. After all, last week dinner was named Ge'orgeh, you know, the guy who didn't make it on the trip over here... :P
Zorlond
Vel'akar

Postby Hetros on Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:34 am

alot of people I see then...
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Meska369 on Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:43 am

I lost my "BOOK"!
Meska369
Dragon of the Nether

Location: When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

Postby Hetros on Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:44 am

Meska369 wrote:I lost my "BOOK"!

okay, that lost me completely...
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby AuroraDragonKaya on Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:31 pm

I do have to say, a fishing village directly across from the ruins makes more sense. Less time transporting, which means fresher food and a safer journey. (Though in the future, we probably want ways to protect them anyway. :P)
AuroraDragonKaya
Demon

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Hetros on Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:20 pm

yeah... longer trips mean its harder to defend, and having one at the point on the river closest to the ruins would mean you could probably see the supplies being brought back and forth from the keep, if we make a fishing village it should be there.
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Frost Indri on Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:10 am

Meska369 wrote:Ah!!! BUT, hold on!

Carefull what rocks you DO heat. Some can explode if heat is applied to them, trapped gasses.... kablooie. Also, some have chemicals/minerals in them that become quite complex if heated.

Ar'Lein and any who know rocks like her will most likely have spotted and made sure people knew which ones were safe.

Hot plates are fun.

I still think smoking the algae and fish would be a good cooking and storage method.

Actually, as long as you take your time heating up the rocks, they won't explode. Of course, this can mean a 20 hr candle... so go ahead and be careful. ^_^

As we start talking about long-term storage, we're going to start talking about containers. ... *pokes about in the water* I hope to get to do some ceramics soon. ^_^
Frost Indri
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Meska369 on Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:24 pm

oh you will my friend you will.

This Mining engineer will help you! We can scour the area and find you the clays and then the minerals to make the glazes. LOL

Don'tch love a profession that depends SOLY of the earth in its natural state for all it's finninshed supplies?

---------------

Hetros- a "book", in what I fefferancing to the same source as the others were going on about, is someone who can read. 99% of the population of that world couldn't read. Books could. Thuss the nickname.
Meska369
Dragon of the Nether

Location: When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

Postby Hetros on Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:49 pm

oh...
dang I need to watch that movie again.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: Um zorland, just a suggestion, but should we also begin cooking and storing the raw seafood too? seafood goes bad preety fast...
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Zorlond on Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:27 am

Yes, Hetros, I know. But at least now I know that one person = 1 unit of work. Gonna pull back the fishermen and algae collectors. And since we apparently don't have any more additional containers for water, going to put a hold on that too. Primary focus goes to cleaning and drying that fish for better storage (with a minor on baking some more algae).

Of particular interest to me, however, is the moss we got from the riverbank. Gotta get this stuff tested. We can start with the standard raw/boiled/baked tests, but can anyone out there think of another possible test? One we could actually try at our negligible tech level?

(edit: baked algae, not baked moss :S )
Zorlond
Vel'akar

Postby kirio on Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:54 am

Zorlond wrote:Yes, Hetros, I know. But at least now I know that one person = 1 unit of work. Gonna pull back the fishermen and algae collectors. And since we apparently don't have any more additional containers for water, going to put a hold on that too. Primary focus goes to cleaning and drying that fish for better storage (with a minor on baking some more moss).

Of particular interest to me, however, is the moss we got from the riverbank. Gotta get this stuff tested. We can start with the standard raw/boiled/baked tests, but can anyone out there think of another possible test? One we could actually try at our negligible tech level?

Well, a soldier with survival training probably has been taught to distinguish between poisonous and non-poisonous growths (I think it has been assumed this is already being done).

A doctor or chemist would be able to identify growths and creatures that are used to make medicines and antiseptics.

A farmer would recognize the growths and creatures used as fertilizers and might be able to search the area already certified as safe by the scouts for signs of once cultivated ground and wild varieties of cultivated mushrooms that might be growing in this cavern.

Since there is a lack of containers, you could ask if anyone can make crude temporary containers of half-fired clay or mana manipulated stone.
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby AuroraDragonKaya on Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:10 am

Zorlond- not sure if moss would be useful, edible wise. But what if it had another property, that could maybe be useful?
Just a thought.

I'm not expert on moss, so I'm afraid I can't be helpful....
AuroraDragonKaya
Demon

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Zorlond on Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:35 am

I do know that mosses, fungi, and shrooms can be very medicinal. But unfortunately, Katralya is neither a doctor, nor a chemist. She's a cook. So it's a little unreasonable to even attempt to find any use for something other than as food. And she is not familiar enough with wild plant life to really know what's safe and what isn't, hence my approach of testing things in multiple fashions.
Zorlond
Vel'akar

PreviousNext

Return to Community Centre