The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Re: Leader Archive - Day 19: Miner Chosen

Postby Writer on Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:28 pm

Uh. Your minions aren't going to be named molemen, are they? ...Seeing as you've got naming rights and all.
Due'gar Tolmen Tei'Kaliath - A busy builder.

A day at work. - "I wish...Um. Nevermind."

Thoughts are like arrows: once released, they strike their mark. Guard them well or one day you may be your own victim. - Navajo proverb.
Writer
Vel'akar

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Pariel on Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:38 pm

Writer wrote:Uh. Your minions aren't going to be named molemen, are they? ...Seeing as you've got naming rights and all.

... Don't give me ideas *lol*
"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one." - Marcus Aurelius.
Pariel
Sharen Errand Boy

Clan: Sharen

Re: LA: Day 18 - Doors, Ankiseth got pwn'd, Miner Rank available

Postby DarkVolt on Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:42 pm

Jeriah wrote:
DarkVolt wrote:4rth: Ankiseth, how could you?

DarkVolt wrote:and 8th: Ankiseth, how COULD you?

Do you recall how I welcomed you here?

((Heh, I also wonder if anyone even understood your reference to heavy-solid-Heavy-Metal-armor? Most probably thought you were being redundant. For those who thought that, it's a magazine. ))

What can I say? I simply like you. :D

(( I wonder how I came up with this. I dont recall knowing of the magazine. I simply mix words for no reason. ^^; ))

Is everything alright?

Pariel wrote:
Writer wrote:Uh. Your minions aren't going to be named molemen, are they? ...Seeing as you've got naming rights and all.

ps: heh, molemen or Tikdiggers :3
Fel'lor Tei'kaliath
DarkVolt
Summoner

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Kir'ima on Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:22 pm

Pariel wrote:

And so the miners suffered from an acute labor shortage...

Congrats to our newest (and smallest! or is Mari'ciel shorter?) ranked member!
waiting patiently for my next chance at Sayatt
everyone stay clear of my blast radius
Kir'ima
the scout

Postby Novusod on Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:21 am

He does seem to have an obsession with the term molemen. I would have called my helpers simply miners just as myself would have been called a miner. It would have been an equality based relationship between management and labor.
"A pessimists looks at the wind and complains. An optimist looks at the wind and believes the wind will change. A leader looks at the wind and trims the sails."
Novusod
Demon

Postby Pariel on Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:27 am

Novusod, are you still trying to promote yourself? o_O
"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one." - Marcus Aurelius.
Pariel
Sharen Errand Boy

Clan: Sharen

Postby Hfar on Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:53 am

Molemen? Certainly an . . . intriguing name, to say the least.
We shall settle this in the ancient way. WITH A CHILDREN'S CARD GAME!
Hfar
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Rulishia on Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:18 am

Eh, I think he still is. I almost thought that he forgot his own bio when he claimed to be a mining slave... Then I reread it.

However, most mining slaves, unless they have learned much about ore and identifying minerals before they became a slave, will not know much about the ore they are mining. That information is controlled by the mining foreman him/themselves. They set the slaves to a particular vein, then cart off what the slaves break off. Then it goes to the smelters to be refined into a purer form as the impurities are burned off.

Essentially a mining slave's job is the same as hard labor used to be in some prisons (I think some prisons still do it though, like the one in Rambo 2). Making big rocks into small rocks, small rocks into even smaller rocks, smaller rocks into dust and repeat.
Rulishia (formerly of the House of Mithran)
Squad Cute... wait, no... WYVERN!!! - Dini Nidinas, Nar'kaller, Yasha, Ys'sa (the Originals)
ImageMy little Ceru! ^.^ Image Serene! Image Leon!
Rulishia
Demon

Postby Jeriah on Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:32 am

Novusod wrote:I would have called my helpers simply miners...

Pariel wrote:Novusod, are you still trying to promote yourself? o_O

Rulishia wrote:Eh, I think he still is...

((I'll have to apologize if English isn't your primary language, but...)) Please note the tense of the verb Novusod used. "Would have" implies that the opportunity of him becoming a miner has been lost and/or indicates a conditional statement (EG Had I been elected Miner, I would have called my helpers simply miners...). If he was still promoting himself, he would have conjugated the verb as "will" (EG I will call my helpers simply miners...).
- Ank'iseth Samarrikh
Jeriah
Vel'akar

Postby Tohya on Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:24 am

Looks like Ankiseth was not banned from applying for the rank, just from giving advise.

It's interesting that Anjihali considered picking the miner herself before going with the will of the clan.
Job/Rank : Miner
Description : Manage the mine(s). Extract ore, process them and distribute them. This rank work with the engineer and architect in order to get optimal result. Outside the mine(s), the supply master handle the final processed stocks. The miner responsability also cover procuding rocks ressources for the architect.

From the description it looks like the Miner is limited to mining resources, ore and gems, and quarrying rock for the Architech. With help from the Engineer, for the mining golems and probably ventilation and water pumps. And the Architech, for supports to help prevent cave-ins.

Processing the ore is an interesting choice, given what is involved in refining iron. Though I'm probably reading this wrong and extract=mine and process=prepare the ore so its ready for smelting. With the smelting being done by the blacksmiths.

Distribution seems to be listed twice, though I think it falls to the Supply Master as the Miner would have a more difficult time transporting goods around. While the Supply Master could send the lugger out to transport it.
Tohya
Vel'akar

Postby Jeriah on Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:42 am

Tohya wrote:Looks like Ankiseth was not banned from applying for the rank, just from giving advise.

Sort of hard to promote oneself to the entity making the decisions when you're not allowed to speak with them. Please don't take this the wrong way. I appreciate the gesture Tohya, but having you as my spokesperson isn't exactly enthusing. ((Also, if you notice, your suggestion to clear the rubble is marked as 'ignored', yet it still made it into the LA as a suggestion.)) So you putting my name forth is just another piece of advice An'jhali technically had no obligation to heed and may have still been ignored even if it had decent support. But perhaps that's just the pessimist speaking.
- Ank'iseth Samarrikh
Jeriah
Vel'akar

Postby kirio on Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:24 am

Jeriah,
I think it was merely the lack of votes and nothing more. As for Tohya's other option, this round in the LA was to choose a miner. As with the time vote and many other previous pages, this was supposed to be a one issue LA update and all other options were automatically ignored.
Mana allows us to feel our connection to the world through the elements. Become one with that which thou wouldst change and the magic becomes effortless.
Cloudless Mind
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Jeriah on Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:41 am

I don't think all other votes will automatically be ignored. Obviously, the options with the least amounts will be ignored, but if for some odd (and highly unlikely) reason not many voted on the miner election and chose a different option all together, it would go through. I do believe that suggestions that are aimed at making the faceless help out with tasks that the ranked are responsible for without the ranked member coordinating with said action will have a high likelihood of being ignored. And in the instance it isn't ignored, has depicted an undesirable effect instead (eg faceless helping the warriors) Everyone's free to suggest what they want, but I would like to see less 'Have the faceless help do a ranked task' type suggestions as they just siphon votes. If the ranked member wants the help, they'll post the option themself (and this has been successful in the past). But if the ranked does not coordinate, it's doomed to being ignored or outright failure. You'd think the people voting for such options would have caught on by now.
- Ank'iseth Samarrikh
Jeriah
Vel'akar

Postby Writer on Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:51 am

I have a question. The miner rank mostly says to procure ore and stone. Does this mean clay continues to be a part of the harvesters duties?
Due'gar Tolmen Tei'Kaliath - A busy builder.

A day at work. - "I wish...Um. Nevermind."

Thoughts are like arrows: once released, they strike their mark. Guard them well or one day you may be your own victim. - Navajo proverb.
Writer
Vel'akar

Postby Jeriah on Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:56 am

Until the miner gets some manning, the harvesters will still be the clay procurement point of contact. After they get the manpower... we'll see. I would probably lean towards no unless there's clay in the mine.
- Ank'iseth Samarrikh
Jeriah
Vel'akar

PreviousNext

Return to Community Centre