The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Re: EA Updated- Day 15: Rock/Metal Low & Large Creatures Sighted

Postby Kir'ima on Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:31 am

Because door traps (golems?) are the specialty of the techs, structural issues are the specialty of the builders (earth mana), and mines are the specialty of the ex-miner slave. None of these are scout specialties, and as I have said in the scout thread, we are not meat shields or guinea pigs ('"bait") to be used to find and clear traps the hard way. We will help how we can, but there are limits to our skills at present.

We have techs, warriors, scouts and the ex-miner slave(?) there at the golem gate now, so all we need is a builder with earth mana and we would have a team that can explore both safely and efficiently. If the scouts go in, I will need to send others to the Chel lookout, which will significantly change my next action, but we shall see.
Kir'ima
the scout

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Novusod on Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:57 am

The golems have already been activated and have proven so far not to be a threat. The threat could from something none mana based like a spring set dart or falling rock tied to a trip wire. I would think a scout would be the best to detect something like that. It is the scouts job to be sneaky about these types of things. Either that or we could just send the slave in there.
"A pessimists looks at the wind and complains. An optimist looks at the wind and believes the wind will change. A leader looks at the wind and trims the sails."
Novusod
Demon

Postby Tohya on Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:59 am

Heh, after all the little hints to go explore the mine. Kern has given us a big one. :p

Might as well take a look inside. }:3
Tohya
Vel'akar

Postby Jeriah on Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:17 am

Although it mildly changes depending on the EA page, the golems look like they can fit into the entryway. If we're concerned with traps, should we let the golems lead the way? Worst case scenario is that the engineers will have something new to fix.

I would like to think the likelihood of traps being relatively low. Reason being, who's going to remember where those traps are? You trap a place, bar it off, come back a century later, and hope the heck your memory is spot on? If it isn't, a lot of good all that trapping did. And if you bothered to spend all that time to trap it, why not have a better lock on the front door?
- Ank'iseth Samarrikh
Jeriah
Vel'akar

Postby Zorlond on Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:26 am

Assuming they can even go in there. AFAIK, golems are identical to robots in the sense that they are incapable of even comprehending doing something they weren't designed to do.
Zorlond
Vel'akar

Postby Tohya on Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:37 am

Normally golem of that type follow the commands given to it by an operator. But in this case they may only be programed to open and close the mine.
Tohya
Vel'akar

Postby Kir'ima on Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:42 am

Perhaps the techs can open them up and reprogram them?
Kir'ima
the scout

Postby Tohya on Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:06 am

Maybe, the control functions are set when the golem is made and if you mess up while building them you have to start over, so reprogramming options would be rather limited. Still I doubt they were built here, hopefully they were walked here instead of carted. If they were walked here chances are we could get them to pick-up and move things other than the bar.
Tohya
Vel'akar

Postby Pariel on Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:47 am

They look like an all purpose working golem for me. If they were meant just to lift the bar they'd be embedded in the rock as part of the door's mechanism.
"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one." - Marcus Aurelius.
Pariel
Sharen Errand Boy

Clan: Sharen

Postby Miburo on Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:16 am

maybe these golems can help out with the door in the ruins too. you guys could test them out (race them :p) and see how much control you have over it.
Miburo
Vel'akar

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby kirio on Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:58 pm

Miburo wrote:maybe these golems can help out with the door in the ruins too. you guys could test them out (race them :p) and see how much control you have over it.

Ves'xilé makes panicked motions at Kanzalika to be quiet. Don't give him any stupid ideas!!! :@
Mana allows us to feel our connection to the world through the elements. Become one with that which thou wouldst change and the magic becomes effortless.
Cloudless Mind
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Pariel on Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:08 pm

"GOLEM RACING!"*places goggles over eyes as if he was going to pilot*

Actually, it's not a bad idea to try and guess if the golems can be used to pick things, serving as heavy, walking cranes rather than just automated Door openers.
"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one." - Marcus Aurelius.
Pariel
Sharen Errand Boy

Clan: Sharen

Postby weilong on Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:22 pm

WOOT new area to explore! I bet the scouts are really pumped!!! Also I just noticed but.... we have a lot of warriors O-o
Haichun of the Harvesters used to be a scholar but not much to read or teach atm so what can you do really? OOO THERE GOES A LIZARD!!!
weilong
Demon

Postby kirio on Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:39 pm

Pariel wrote:"GOLEM RACING!"*places goggles over eyes as if he was going to pilot*

Actually, it's not a bad idea to try and guess if the golems can be used to pick things, serving as heavy, walking cranes rather than just automated Door openers.

:U *facepalm*

We might want to wait and see if we still need them where they are first... *ooo*
Mana allows us to feel our connection to the world through the elements. Become one with that which thou wouldst change and the magic becomes effortless.
Cloudless Mind
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Meska369 on Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:10 pm

yeah, I'm going to have a good look at em while I send back word to the others. I might even put the bar back and go back to have a pow-wow with all the ranked about our next move. We have proven we can open the door. I mean the only real goal I had for going to the golems was to see if they worked and what they did.

Exploring the mine REALLY needs to be done carefully and with full knowledge of all in power of our clan. I don't want to release a horde of mice-men on us all because I wanted to go play in the mines without backup. We do have two warriors with us, but I think this is definitely a combined power thing and I'm not risking the life of the people with me to poke about in the unexplored territory.

"I would love to lay pipe... but I have no pipe to lay" - Meska369
Meska369
Dragon of the Nether

Location: When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

PreviousNext

Return to Community Centre