The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Re: LA Day 51: Nal' merchants arrive & Siska's act dishonorably

Postby Nasfors on Mon May 18, 2009 2:45 am

As my signature suggests, I can nullify one "idiot option" per week. I'll exercise it when necessary. I just wish people would realize how much they're hurting the clan with knee-jerk options.
Nasfors
Vel'akar

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Tohya on Mon May 18, 2009 4:01 am

Nasfors wrote:As my signature suggests, I can nullify one "idiot option" per week. I'll exercise it when necessary. I just wish people would realize how much they're hurting the clan with knee-jerk options.

Either they didn't vote for their own option, which is likely, or you had one more vote than they did.

And the sock puppets were fun. *wee*
Tohya
Vel'akar

Postby Robert_Frazer on Mon May 18, 2009 11:35 am

(Just copying over my message on the "Ther,we have a problem" thread as it's also relevant here)

This week I've suggested the LA option that we call the Siska's bluff.

I don't believe that Bel'xullyn is in any real danger - this is pantomime. They wouldn't risk the opprobrium and ostracisation that would come from murdering an ambassador - as we're now a minor clan in Chelian orbit, not a random pack out in the sticks, and they can't treat us as dust underfoot for the simple fact that we're not. We are new, though, and so the Siska are trying to play on our inexperience and pen us into a subordinate position by making us humiliate ourselves before them. The Siska are part of Chel'el'sussoloth, so they know how politics works - when push comes to shove, the slight loss of face from giving back the ambassador (and they can dress it up as magnaminity to ameliorate it further if they want) is far less of a burden than the social suicide that they'd commit by showing utter disregard for Clan War and other codes of conduct. The Siska are also not in competition with us and so won't be threatened by the increase in prestige that we'd enjoy by standing firm.

The Siska are just creating a lot of sound and fury - but it signifies nothing. Our only task is not to blink.

ADDITIONAL: Concurrently with this, I also think that it's important not to neglect the traders. If they arrive at Ther'Avare and find everyone dashing about like headless chickens in panic, they'll communicate that to the rest of Chel'el'sussoloth and that will affect us later. It is important that we maintain at least a mask of composure when confronted by this challenge - if we can keep the traders entertained and occupied while we consider how to respond to the Siska, they will be pleased and our reputation will be improved in other areas too. I've added another option to this effect in the LA.
A clerk thought that Curzon's memorandum was balls. But he was afraid to say so directly, so he wrote faintly in the margin "Round Objects". Lord Curzon replied in a note: "Who is Mr. Round, and why does he object?"
-Sir Alan Lascelles
Robert_Frazer
Demon

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Nasfors on Mon May 18, 2009 1:11 pm

Tohya wrote:And the sock puppets were fun. *wee*

You accomplished the same thing I did, in a way. You provided a route to channel the silly options away from harming anybody. *gives cookie*
Nasfors
Vel'akar

Postby Aerisa on Fri May 22, 2009 7:56 pm

The Nal agreed to help us!!!

*omg foam*
Stories about Lae'ryza:
Demonic Bond(finished)
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=13359

More to come! *cross fingers*
Aerisa
Vel'akar

Postby Pariel on Fri May 22, 2009 7:57 pm

I was not hired!?
"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one." - Marcus Aurelius.
Pariel
Sharen Errand Boy

Clan: Sharen

Postby FSEffect on Fri May 22, 2009 7:57 pm

This calls for a powerslide celebration *POWERSLIDE*
"People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people"

Clan's designated marksman
Kerr Nigit

Kerr's sister and relic hunter
Kay Nigit
FSEffect
Vel'akar

Postby Novusod on Fri May 22, 2009 8:19 pm

Aerisa wrote:The Nal agreed to help us!!!

*omg foam*

Yeah but they won't arrive on the scene until a day later. The Siska could execute the hostages and slaughter the unarmed Tei'kaliath mob before the Nal put a stop to it.
"A pessimists looks at the wind and complains. An optimist looks at the wind and believes the wind will change. A leader looks at the wind and trims the sails."
Novusod
Demon

Postby Cayen on Fri May 22, 2009 8:24 pm

she said she'd come on the morrow, but they will probably send a runner to stop any further actions from happening.
You can always rage quit....
Cayen
Vel'akar

Postby FSEffect on Fri May 22, 2009 8:35 pm

Wishful thinking says it's earlier the morrow, and she'll arrive this turn... wishful thinking ^^;
"People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people"

Clan's designated marksman
Kerr Nigit

Kerr's sister and relic hunter
Kay Nigit
FSEffect
Vel'akar

Postby blackshade10 on Fri May 22, 2009 8:36 pm

They will likely send a runner, as has been said.

Now then... *foams at mouth* They are HELPING!
Drowtales RP Review Assistant
Unofficial DTRPG Newbie Helper
--
Elk Cros'sin Val'Sullisin'rune - "Awww, how cute. You think you can take me."
Ash'vari Ist'aven Val'Sullisin'rune - "Zzzzz... Wait what?"
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Location: Ashie Cleavage, plotting war against those of the Zala cleavage.
Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby Tohya on Fri May 22, 2009 8:53 pm

Since time did not slow down, it'll be interesting to see what happens in the LA.

Since it was mentioned that holding ambassadors and their guard hostage is quite common, the march is less likely to succeed. And more likely to make us look like fools. At least we can say we're different. XD
Tohya
Vel'akar

Postby Finish on Fri May 22, 2009 9:00 pm

That are great news! Even the Siksa wouldn't try something stupid if a Val Clan is around. Perhaps now we can speak like civilized underground, dark elve mutations we are. :D

Well if the Siksa excute the hostages there wouldn't much we could have done. Unless sending An'Jhali straight without any guard in the mount of the dragon. Let's not assume the worst but if they killed one or more hostages we have the Nal who could confirme that the Siksa acted very stupid and dishonourable by killing hostages.
Perhaps An'Jhali should mention there actions in the Gathering of the Clans if Keindra don't stop bitching about us. ;)

And about out unarmed people... well it was there decision. Let's hope the best. They do what they think is right and I hope they will at least partically succeed.
Finish
Merc on vacation

Postby Madea on Fri May 22, 2009 11:39 pm

If the only scale you're measuring success on is "do we get the hostages back or not", then - yes - we have a pretty low chance of accomplishing it by ourselves.

However, as I have stated numerous times, I had more than that sole objective in mind. Strategy is not simply one plan = one result.
In Memoriam of Ceres'thiel.
Madea
Pineapple Warmaster

Location: In EVA above Green Ball, surrounded by Space Kitties!
Clan: Sharen

Postby Finish on Sat May 23, 2009 12:08 am

Madea wrote:If the only scale you're measuring success on is "do we get the hostages back or not", then - yes - we have a pretty low chance of accomplishing it by ourselves.

However, as I have stated numerous times, I had more than that sole objective in mind. Strategy is not simply one plan = one result.

Well I would call the plan a success if the Siksa...

... relase one or more hostages
... give us a longer deadline
... are more willing to let the hostages go
... are more willing to listen to us
... wouldn't agree on a meeting with us and the Nal without this action

All other things we achieve either doesn't help us in the matter or could make things worser. ;)
Finish
Merc on vacation

PreviousNext

Return to Community Centre