The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Re: Event Archive Day 49

Postby Tohya on Fri May 01, 2009 10:31 pm

tanarill wrote:@Tohya

No, I meant all that ash that was cleaned out only a few turns ago. Depending on what it is, it might be useful.

Installing it, yes. Getting the pipes supplied with water/water pressure, however, is for engineers.

I agree. In which case we may need to look into the cost of raw silk and the weaving thereof.

Ash is not something normally used in a gas mask. You can make soap and glycerin out ash and fat though.

The water pump runs all the time, so it is the pump itself that maintains the water pressure. So all you need to do is connect the pipes together. Eventually, if we keep adding more plumbing, we will need to add a second pump or a water tower to maintain water pressure.

Or spider ranching. :p
Tohya
Vel'akar

Postby Thaluka2 on Fri May 01, 2009 11:56 pm

I would suggest *not* selling any of our ore. We just don't know how much of it the mine contains. It was abandoned for a reason, and that reason isn't because it was chock full of easily accessible valueable minerals. If we run out of iron it's going to be very costly in the future to have to purchase steel off the open market. Rather have a stockpile unless we are explicitly told the mine has a very large amount of iron ore in it.
Ziakas Tei'Kaliath - Scout of Ther'avere
Thaluka2
Vel'akar

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Kir'ima on Sat May 02, 2009 1:37 am

I'm not seeing charcoal listed in the resources on the main PtP page, so it may be a "phantom material".
Or, there is that dead tree sitting unharvested and unused in the southwest corner of our cavern... *wutno*

/edit
Anders pointed out where the charcoal came from, and that there is a need to acquire some.
waiting patiently for my next chance at Sayatt
everyone stay clear of my blast radius
Kir'ima
the scout

Postby tanarill on Sat May 02, 2009 4:49 pm

@Tohya

I know, ash and char (ie, activated carbon of the type used in gas masks to adsorb gas) are not the same thing. But does the macro-level game know or care?

On the other hand, I really like the idea of soap. No more stinky Tei'kaliath. And if it's a rarity we might even be able to sell some. But we need a fat source for that, tallow or something.

Yeah. I know. That is why I said the engineers need to look at
tanarill wrote:the capacity of the golem pump supplying the city ATM.
The pump works fine, but if it is already at or near capacity . . .

@Thaluka

I was not suggesting selling ore. I was suggesting selling glass. Because glass would probably be profitable.
tanarill
Summoner

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Meckruco on Sat May 02, 2009 5:18 pm

*rereads his Math for Marines distant learning course, then looks at the ada to half ada count, followed by looking at the book again, quadurple checking the computer calculator, looks at the ada/half ada count*

error error error... restarting brain...
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum" If you desire peace, prepare for war.
House the of Will of Fire
Fourth Tir'ay Champ is Meck the bear killer.
Meckruco
Vel'akar

Re: LA Day 49: Ada, Khaless & Training Specialization

Postby Catriana on Sun May 03, 2009 8:31 pm

You can also make soap without using animal fat, but uh...don't know if you'd have the sort of vegetation needed for such things. Unfortunate.
“The most I can do for my friend is simply be his friend." -Henry David Thoreau
Catriana
Dragon of the Nether

Postby tanarill on Sun May 03, 2009 9:32 pm

Here's a question. Do we even need to send anyone to Orthorbbae at all? I mean, by and large what this clan has done so far involved only a little mana use. The ones who use it, as far as I can tell, are the crafters when firing pottery, the smiths for the forge, the techs when making golems, and very rarely Elif. Mining, building, harvesting, and fighting don't seem, at least for the moment, to involve any mana. The fields that do already use it successfully enough . . . So unless I am not seeing something (and, please, enlighten me if I am not) it seems to me that we don't have to immediately send anyone.

With that out of the way, there's the matter of Bel' and her ambassador duties. We have to meet with Siska'santi; I think next turn a squad should go and ask for an audience. But those Sharen shrews also want some genuflection, and since we are nothing like powerful enough to refuse, we're going to have to comply. Should Bel' do this, or An'jhali, or should we invite a Sharen ambassador over to talk? I think it might be best for An'jhali to go, but . . . the Sharen are vicious. Thoughts?
tanarill
Summoner

Postby Hfar on Sun May 03, 2009 9:57 pm

That's the thing. At this time we're aren't all that certain if any work groups would gain any immediate benefit from mana training. But the theory is that as more groups hire more workers, the cost of sending the entire group to Orthorbae will go up. So the argument is whether or not we should send a work group now, while it's relatively cheap, or if we should send them later when we'll hopefully have more finances and more need for that sort of thing. At this point just about every group can benefit in some way from mana training. The question is who we should send and when?

And from an IG standpoint, I do feel uneasy about dealing with unknown politics. There's obviously some form of power play going on here that we don't know about (from our character's point of view), but there's not much we can do about that at the moment. I also feel uneasy about sending our Illharess to an unknown clan. I know she's done it plenty of time's in the past, but I don't think we should send our leader into unknown territory.
We shall settle this in the ancient way. WITH A CHILDREN'S CARD GAME!
Hfar
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Kir'ima on Sun May 03, 2009 10:03 pm

tanarill wrote:Do we even need to send anyone to Orthorbbae at all? I mean, by and large what this clan has done so far involved only a little mana use. The ones who use it, as far as I can tell, are the crafters when firing pottery, the smiths for the forge, the techs when making golems, and very rarely Elif. Mining, building, harvesting, and fighting don't seem, at least for the moment, to involve any mana. The fields that do already use it successfully enough . . . So unless I am not seeing something (and, please, enlighten me if I am not) it seems to me that we don't have to immediately send anyone.

The last 'fight' we had involved mana usage by the other side, and we nearly got our butts handed to us. We are starting to deal with other clans and groups that have mana-trained warriors instead of untrained groups like runaway slaves or low-level slavers. If we do not also have mana skills, we are not going to survive. Sending the warriors right now is not an option until we get more cash, but I think we need to send them (and the scouts) as quickly as funds allow after the healers and maybe one or two other groups have attended.

As for why to send the healers, the ability to heal more difficult injuries/diseases, and to be able to possibly heal wounds in a day or two that would otherwise keep a warrior squad out of action for a week or more, are important for the same reasons, in addition to potentially bringing in more income so that other groups can also attend as quickly as possible.
waiting patiently for my next chance at Sayatt
everyone stay clear of my blast radius
Kir'ima
the scout

Postby Tohya on Mon May 04, 2009 12:28 am

I also think that the Healers should be one of the first groups to go, they happen to have the most free time to try earn Ada with for one thing. The other groups that should probably go are the techs and forge workers. After that it doesn't matter so much who goes next.

Of these groups the forge workers would be the quickest to train, needing only simple fire mana skills. The advantage here is improved efficiency, and higher yields from smelting.

Golem craft is highly a specialized trade, so the techs would probably take the full 7 days for training. Here we have the chance at big pay outs for work done, without needing to kill anyone. We would have to actively search Chel for jobs for the techs though.

The only problem with sending the Healers first is that the merchants will be back some time in the next few days and their training is likely to take a long time as well. The healers also wanted to be around to check the health of the animal and slaves, in order to get a discount on the medical supplies.
Tohya
Vel'akar

Postby thatguyvex on Mon May 04, 2009 6:05 am

Actually now that Tohya has brought up the merchants that will be arriving in the next few days, we should consider the Clan's overall finances carefully given we don't know what we might want to purchase when they do arrive and whatever group we send to school will be a sever drain on our ada. We got roughly 210 ada altogether if the resource page is accurate, so if we did send the Healters that'd leave 100 left for purchasing with the merchants. Will that be enough for whatever it is we want to purchase from the merchants?
There is a fine line between awesome and ridiculous. Badai uses that line to floss his teeth.

Kazdrin's Random Link: Bizzare. Amusing. Ruby Quest.
thatguyvex
Vel'akar

Postby Tohya on Mon May 04, 2009 7:40 am

The healers want to be here for the merchants.

Also we are trading some goods, which reduces the amount of Ada we need to pay for things.
Tohya
Vel'akar

Postby Thalar on Mon May 04, 2009 11:37 am

I think we should not send anyone to Orthorbbae until after the merchants have stopped by.
My main reason for this being we have, post half-ada revelation, much less cash available than we thought. Healers aren't the only rank who made arrangements for various purchases/trades with the merchants, and while the prices might not be extremely high (if the indicated prices we've seen so far in the archives is anything to go by) the fact still remains that we will be spending money when they come.

Also, with Orthorbbae open every morning, there is no need for us to rush in there, no time limit has been indicated. We can afford to wait until after the merchants have come and gone.
That is not dead which may eternal lie, and with aeons even death may die.

Tar'shay Nimaraidh Tei'kaliath, on a boat, throwing things on the ground
Elif Nimaraidh Tei'kaliath, Colony Administrator, Tei'kaliath Prime Healer and Phantom Summoner
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby Bamawing on Mon May 04, 2009 12:03 pm

I thought I posted this... ???

Would Kern let us send *part of* a group to Orth, as long as we had the understanding that ONLY this part would be able to utilize the mana? I know that we can't send some and then have them teach the others, and I know that sending individuals is out. But what about a compromise? It would save money, and eliminate the problems that would crop up if we send every single soldier we have away for a while. Or nurse, for that matter.

Training a single squad of warriors might be enough, it would certainly be more than what we have now, and that way we don't have to go all-out and send the whole shebang. Ditto with the nurses. Couldn't Elif have a Elite Sexy Nursing Force that cures/diagnoses the stuff that the Regular Sexy Nursing Force can't?
Bamawing
Vel'akar

Postby Finish on Mon May 04, 2009 12:41 pm

This probably would lead to a lot of problems. What if one (or all) of the players who got that skill quit P2P?
And lets assume we send only three warriors or a squad to the Orth. Now imagine the last battle. Some of or people are injured, but which one? Are there trained mana-users among them? Would the remaining ones still be able to cover the whole group with there shield?
Also the GM and the artist always have to keep in mind who are the guys who can use mana. To much "paperwork" if you ask me. :D
Finish
Merc on vacation

PreviousNext

Return to Community Centre