Where the clan gathers to discuss the issues raised in the Leader and Event archives.
The Conference Room is for serious discussion only.
Everyone is encouraged to participate, but this forum has special rules! Make sure to read it before posting!

Halme Recontact

Postby benuminister on Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:21 pm

Read the post in the Explorer's guild house before commenting here.

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=16566&start=30#p730634

Now I guess I should go through some of the pros and cons of a relationship with the halmes.

Pros

-Hames breed quickly which means a rather large workforce in a short period of time. Hope that contact will encourage some Halmes to immigrate to Amavarde and the surrounding area to capitalize on this.
-Human's tech advance seems to be much more rapid then that of drow so getting humnas as an ally might pay off in the future

Cons

This list is ongoing and will be modified as we talk so please give you two cents so it can be ammended
Tei'Kaliath: Biel (Bay-elle) Tel'mari, Forge Master and Novice at the Hammer Toss

EA process:
Friday: Post -> Saturday: Discuss and Edit -> Sunday: Final Draft

The Al'dun, more then just another family.
benuminister
Vel'akar

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Re: Halme Recontact

Postby James Rye on Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:59 pm

I rather have to do a travel to them in Weistgren over the small timeskip or in another to come. That way we can use the days in it to cover the way to go there.

Let´s do some business there first, check what they got, what they want from us, how they react to us, how their city is, if it became a city in the years we haven´t seen it. maybe it´s already ruins.

Then we try if everything looks good to make them trade partners and later to make them our allies like with the dvergar. I hope the dvergar are now our allies in the way we had planned for it, not only there to trade but also to fight and build up a nation on the surface worthy to live in or with.
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Nacht on Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:50 pm

Oh your Cons list is empty

Let me help you with that

- if cheap and fast-reproducing labor is what we want, we can buy Halmes from Nal traders and teach them to farm ourselves
- Hanen is too far away to be interesting for trade, if any caravan takes months to travel and has to be accompanied by warriors too
- Warg has told us Hanen is a retarded barely surviving little farming village. We have no guarantee the Halmes from there can bring us anything new
Nacht
Summoner

Postby James Rye on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:11 pm

^Two of your cons can be taken out if we got to what had been a small city 12 years ago: Weistgren.

Warg himself said that this could have grown into a town already due the quickly growth of Halme population when they live good and safe. And that small town had back then already a wall and xx smokes coming out of their smokestacks so they got enough coal/wood to survive the Winter as well as to create own armor/weapons for a little army to protect themselves.

We have seen Halmes in armor and weapons, one even sitting on a mount, when we were on the road to Weistgren! They could become a valuable surface battle partner if they got more mounts/Halmes who has warrior equipment and knows how to fight. What the Dvergar are in the underground, the Halmes/Kotorcs could be on the surface. Especially since they got bigger numbers than Dvergar or Drows put together.

Also we can trade Mounts much cheaper with them using the gold bars/silver bars from the Dvergar we get for some meat/fish/glass/wood items whereas Nals would want either lots of items or even ada in return. And the ada could be used better to purchase books, more mana plants to increase mana pool, buy a teacher to get over his worries with LOTS of ada we saved over time, etc.

And depending if the Halmes are at a sea or an ocean they could have a port, trading with other countries like the Emberi are from: Exoctic items could get easily brought by us for some gold pieces (if we do a currency with it besides ada/silver) which can be sold for lots of ada in Chel and other cities. Since the Nals got an easier access over us and we an easier access over the Halme port, the other clan´s traders can´t competent with us and our prices. They will have to sell really low comapred to their costs and efforts which will leave the exotic item trading field in a few years to our Halme->Us->Nal trader route.

So yeah, there are quite some stuff that could prove helpful getting them on our side. Just like the dvergar proved to have access to SALT. And not only that but also metals whicha re useless to us, but very helpful to get the Halmes on our sides: GOLD and SILVER.
Even after we make those little gifts for Mirual, Orrul and Ruiuff there will be still left enough to get a couple mounts/farm animals when we visit them for the first time which will grant us their interest and their hope we return again with more gold/silver.

Once we have them besides the Dvergar on our side, it would be time for creating our own currency in Ada (for Drow/Dvergar interesting), Gold and Silver (for Halmes/Kotorcs (Herminones too)) interesting.

I think its worth a try to get there though i dunno we should start it when we got 14 people out in expeditions next week and the 3x people at the campign have not returned either. Maybe once those two ended/the War group´s back we can do so.
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Postby James Rye on Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:32 pm

Given this page we even got a whole barrel full with gold coins besides the gold and silver bars we have from the Dvergar! We really can buy alot from the Weistgren people and show ourselves a bit generous if they give us more info on what´s going on outside the forest edges. For example if they´re part of a kingdom or are a free city (which would be best for us)? Or how the Hermione war is going on? Or if they had encounter more and other troubles we should know of like wild feral attacks or the Mimians attacking them for food, etc?

http://www.drowtales.com/~pathtopower/a ... p?sid=8729 <- this page shows the Nals gave us a Barrel with gold coins, that way getting in contact with Halmes/Kotorcs will be much easier than only coming with gold/silver bars.
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Nacht on Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:29 pm

What? Weistgren?

I thought you were talking about Hanen.

Comic page references would be helpful...
Nacht
Summoner

Postby James Rye on Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:36 pm

Hanen´s the small Halme community we had been there some times before and got a good reputation there (if they haven´t forgotten about us).

http://www.drowtales.com/~pathtopower/a ... p?sid=7531
http://www.drowtales.com/~pathtopower/a ... p?sid=7545

Weistgren is the other halme community, much bigger and with walls, also it looks like they got a small army or people armed enough to do patrols on the street leading down from Hanen to Weistgren and some other direction. It got called a town already back then.
http://www.drowtales.com/~pathtopower/a ... p?sid=7560
However due not enough time and being not prepared enough, we returned home without anything expect knowing their location/rough size.
http://www.drowtales.com/~pathtopower/a ... p?sid=7572

Warg told us the Halme city´s name "Weistgren" here:
http://www.drowtales.com/~pathtopower/a ... p?sid=8263

Since they never got any dealing with the Nals and thus probably with no other Drow clan either, we would be their first Drow contact so to say. Expect those Mimians have already paid them visits or even raided them for food, slaves and such.
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Nacht on Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:08 pm

Ok tell that to Biel. The EA he plans of posting specifies Hanen, not Weistgren.

Weistgren would be an entirely new village to explore. The Nals have no useful information about it. We would do best to approach it cautiously, not over a timeskip but as part of a planned expedition. Remember timeskip is to expand on things we have already established are doable. For a 7 year timeskip you could post the EA "establish relations with Weistgren". But you don't know it will work - and if it doesn't you waste 7 years. If you are cautious and just say "preliminary expedition to Weistgren" you also waste 7 years because that would only take a month or two tops.

Hanen... has NOTHING to offer. Warg said so himself. anything they could offer (basic farming labor) we could get from any other halmes closer to us or purchased from the Nals. Much less costly than time-consuming and mana-depriving expeditions to Hanen
Nacht
Summoner

Postby James Rye on Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:30 pm

I think so too, though maybe the timeskip could be used to get better relationships with Hanen and over that with the people in Weistgren, they´re connected after all. Weistgren however cause it´s so unknown has much more to offer. If it does have a port and the sea it lies on is an ocean, then we really have a great chance here.
The problem is cause we know as good as nothing about them, they could be also quite a risk. Though given that we want to etablish our control in this area, we need to make contact with them sooner or later.

And we got the best thing every Halme loves: Gold.

Even if they fear us, once we show them for us useless shiny gold, they´ll jump over their shadow and will talk with us.
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Leonis on Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:45 pm

James Rye wrote:The problem is cause we know as good as nothing about them, they could be also quite a risk. Though given that we want to establish our control in this area, we need to make contact with them sooner or later.

Even if they fear us, once we show them for us useless shiny gold, they´ll jump over their shadow and will talk with us.

Not entirely true. We know that they had armed personel. Therefore depending on interaction with possible Min's, they may be hostile, or wish to take control and take over us. Though I wonder a little bit about those burrowing critters.
Leonis
Demon

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby James Rye on Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:49 pm

That armed personal could be part of the kingdoms army Weistgren/Hanen belongs to though. Expect they´re free villages/cities then it´sa different matter. And true they could also try to fight us if they had bad experience with those Mims though i hope our Mim rebels are more east and not south, less trouble that way.
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Nacht on Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:13 pm

Basically - it's complicated.

And I reiterate. Timeskip is not the moment to start posting complicated EAs. I strongly encourage Biel and Sengil to choose another project that will have higher chance of success in order to avoid wasting already scarce votes.
Nacht
Summoner

Postby James Rye on Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:16 pm

Lol, i already got my Tir'ay project.^^

All i care for is that we do an expedition someday to the halmes/Weistgren, they, not the kotorcs are the biggest race in this area. Having them on our side will boost our hold on this colony.
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Return to Conference Hall