Where the clan gathers to discuss the issues raised in the Leader and Event archives.
The Conference Room is for serious discussion only.
Everyone is encouraged to participate, but this forum has special rules! Make sure to read it before posting!

What is the biggest priority for hunters over the timeskip?

Trideers
85%
Boars
No votes
Mini Flying Horrors
15%
Fish
No votes
Bees
No votes
Trading new animals
No votes

Total votes : 13

Hunters: preparing for timeskip

Postby Nacht on Wed May 16, 2012 8:13 pm

Hey guys

Today's EA mentions the timeskip, I have a feeling it won't be too long in coming now!

In preparation of this, I think hunters should get together and decide on one long-term objective to accomplish over the timeskip, so we can all come together behind it and make sure it gets done. Also avoid conflicts of different ideas like happened during the last timeskip, which results in no action being done.

So what is the one most important thing we can do for the clan that will take several years?

- breeding trideer in semi-captivity: trideer are small and can't be used as mounts. But they provide the clan with meat, bones, tendons, horns, hides, and other useful stuff. For the clan and for sale/trade. These creatures have the potential to be for us what the bison was to Native Americans. Over the timeskip we can say we build up a large and self-reproducing herd to feed the whole clan. This will require us to capture more than the 2 does we have (especially a male) and try and get them to reproduce successfully in captivity. This might take some time but since trideer are herbivores, and deer breeding IRL is common and not too hard, we should be able to do this.

- Mini Flying Horros - taming them and turning them into hunting companions/messenger birds/other purpose. We have just managed to get them on the way to captive breeding. We still have a lot to figure out about these creatures, including their use. We don't know how useful they could be as domesticated/work animals, this is something we'd need to find out and test before timeskip. Test ability to respond to commands, come back when called, fly to specific destinations, etc. If we can find this out before timeskip, we can use the several years to build up a larger group of domesticated birds. However, the services they could give us seem less vital for the clan.

- Piggies - these guys have been domesticated for the longest time, so we can assume they're starting to be more docile. Pigs are also an excellent source of meat. bones, haire, tusks even! They are probably easier to keep in small areas unlike trideer who need more space, and they feed on a more varied diet. We can focus on expanding our herd, turning them into pets, and doing selective breeding to favor certain characteristics (size, growth speed, fattiness, docility).

- fishing: there have been few successful fishing expeditions so far, this is definitely something we could develop by building better nets, better ships etc. We'd need to do at least one more fishing trip before timeskip, and get some more advanced equipment designed, made and tested, in order to really grow a fleet of efficient fishing boats. The lake is right on our doorstep and full of resources so this option could also yield a large benefit for the clan in terms of food and other side products made from fish (glue?). We'd need to make sure we have good ways of storing fish (salting, smoking etc).

- trade more animals with Hanen (or other villages) - would require an expedition to a designated location and bringing goods for trade, either gold (for Halmes) or woodcraft (for the Nals). This would improve our relationship with other settlements in the area (so far we only have the dvergar as allies), as well as allow us to acquire mounts and other useful animals (cows/goats for milk? sheep for wool? chicken for eggs?). The expedition would have to be completed before the timeskip, taking into account that we do have an upcoming military conflict to settle, but our knowledge of the area would improve.

As you can see most of these options require several weeks preparation, which is why I'd like for the hunters to get together and agree on this now so we are 100% prepared for when the timeskip arrives. We need 5-6 hunters to get behind this, support related advices every EA when they come up, and finally vote on the EA for the big timeskip.

I am personally in favor of the trideer project, with boars and fishes tied second.

EDIT: Added poll
Last edited by Nacht on Wed May 16, 2012 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nacht
Summoner

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Re: Hunters: preparing for timeskip

Postby James Rye on Wed May 16, 2012 8:20 pm

And, mounts: Buying some horses from Weistgren, maybe some cows or chicken too. We´ve got 5 gold bars and two boxes gold bars, plus 5 silver bars.

If we start a trading partnership with the halmes we´re in a way better position for the timeskip then before.

I´ll make sure to enforce such an expedition before the timeskip happens (at least i hope we get that much time)...
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Nacht on Wed May 16, 2012 8:27 pm

Fair enough. Added to list of options.

As a cautionary note though, with our upcoming war alongside the Dvergar I find it unlikely we will have time and resources for a trading expedition all the way to Hanen.
Nacht
Summoner

Postby Wy'shira on Wed May 16, 2012 8:31 pm

The hunters have my vote during the time skip. *salutes* I'm on my phone right now, but I wanted to post really quick to say I agree with your suggested priority order. (Also, this thread is a great idea!). I did some obsessive research on how to best domesticate our deer population, so I'll come back later when I'm at my computer and give my suggestions. ^^

I'm 100% on board with a halme expedition post-war, because of the ally talk in another forum thread here. Hopefully then we'll be able to set up a halme-mount breeding program over the time skip as well. That should be easy enough and won't take much time during the time skip, if any, though.
What is done under compulsion is done without understanding. There is no more beauty in it than if one should whip and spur a dancer. -Xenophon (paraphrase). Follow your heart.

Wy'shira = Eloh.
Wy'shira
Summoner

Postby James Rye on Wed May 16, 2012 8:39 pm

U FORGOT THE BEES?! w*A*w
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Wy'shira on Wed May 16, 2012 8:41 pm

The wittle bees will be taken care of automatically, and there are no big projects to work on with them over the time skip. ^^
What is done under compulsion is done without understanding. There is no more beauty in it than if one should whip and spur a dancer. -Xenophon (paraphrase). Follow your heart.

Wy'shira = Eloh.
Wy'shira
Summoner

Postby Nacht on Wed May 16, 2012 8:42 pm

Does developping our bee domestication require a massive timeskip EA? We can just take up an EA advice for 2 weeks to make a couple of extra bee houses...
Nacht
Summoner

Postby James Rye on Wed May 16, 2012 8:45 pm

Well, if we want enough wax for the leather armor projects we gonna need quite some new bee hives for that matter... <.<
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Postby goblin6 on Wed May 16, 2012 8:54 pm

The bees can be taken care of in short time. Unfortunately, the hunters we out on the rescue mission. So if you want, you can lead the bee harvest James. As for my two cent on the timeskip goal. I agree with Nacht that we should place emphasis on the trideers, boars and fish; after the timeskip, we'll have thousands of colonist moving in, and we're going to need a staple food source to feed them all as well as ourselves.
PTP-Ze'carga D'rak & Van'deer
goblin6
Vel'akar

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby James Rye on Wed May 16, 2012 8:58 pm

I ratehr support Vitus in finally getting some steel enhanced round shield.^^
It shows last week that it can hold a mana bolt shot without cracking, once some metals on that wood it will be a great asset to warriors, especially the defense squad.^^
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Nacht on Wed May 16, 2012 9:01 pm

trideers, boars and fish;

I meant we need to pick ONE of those to focus one and make sure it gets done properly.

Also, I added a poll.
Nacht
Summoner

Postby James Rye on Wed May 16, 2012 9:06 pm

Why don´t cha just ask Thalar about it?

Maybe we cna focus on three instead of one?

Plus there are farmers and then the other jobs too who could help out.
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Nacht on Wed May 16, 2012 9:12 pm

The point of this discussion is to pick ONE project and make sure it gets done well.

We can always do extra stuff once the minimum actions necessary are passed. With so many things happening we are running a high risk of falling behind on many projects. And we will be in a situation where the timeskip is announced with only 1-2 weeks notice and we won't be ready for it.
Nacht
Summoner

Postby James Rye on Wed May 16, 2012 9:18 pm

What i meant was to ask first and then decide upon the infos, if Thalar has any at the moment, if we have to focus on one animal project only. ^^
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Postby goblin6 on Thu May 17, 2012 12:01 am

Well, if I have to choose one, then I choose the trideer. I just got word from Minalia that we have 30 boars, all domesticated. So there's not much to do with them other then breeding them and increasing their numbers. So we should focus on the trideers: capture more deers, keep a few males alive for breeding, tame them and get them to relax a bit in their new environment and around us.
PTP-Ze'carga D'rak & Van'deer
goblin6
Vel'akar

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Next

Return to Conference Hall