Today's EA mentions the timeskip, I have a feeling it won't be too long in coming now!
In preparation of this, I think hunters should get together and decide on one long-term objective to accomplish over the timeskip, so we can all come together behind it and make sure it gets done. Also avoid conflicts of different ideas like happened during the last timeskip, which results in no action being done.
So what is the one most important thing we can do for the clan that will take several years?
- breeding trideer in semi-captivity: trideer are small and can't be used as mounts. But they provide the clan with meat, bones, tendons, horns, hides, and other useful stuff. For the clan and for sale/trade. These creatures have the potential to be for us what the bison was to Native Americans. Over the timeskip we can say we build up a large and self-reproducing herd to feed the whole clan. This will require us to capture more than the 2 does we have (especially a male) and try and get them to reproduce successfully in captivity. This might take some time but since trideer are herbivores, and deer breeding IRL is common and not too hard, we should be able to do this.
- Mini Flying Horros - taming them and turning them into hunting companions/messenger birds/other purpose. We have just managed to get them on the way to captive breeding. We still have a lot to figure out about these creatures, including their use. We don't know how useful they could be as domesticated/work animals, this is something we'd need to find out and test before timeskip. Test ability to respond to commands, come back when called, fly to specific destinations, etc. If we can find this out before timeskip, we can use the several years to build up a larger group of domesticated birds. However, the services they could give us seem less vital for the clan.
- Piggies - these guys have been domesticated for the longest time, so we can assume they're starting to be more docile. Pigs are also an excellent source of meat. bones, haire, tusks even! They are probably easier to keep in small areas unlike trideer who need more space, and they feed on a more varied diet. We can focus on expanding our herd, turning them into pets, and doing selective breeding to favor certain characteristics (size, growth speed, fattiness, docility).
- fishing: there have been few successful fishing expeditions so far, this is definitely something we could develop by building better nets, better ships etc. We'd need to do at least one more fishing trip before timeskip, and get some more advanced equipment designed, made and tested, in order to really grow a fleet of efficient fishing boats. The lake is right on our doorstep and full of resources so this option could also yield a large benefit for the clan in terms of food and other side products made from fish (glue?). We'd need to make sure we have good ways of storing fish (salting, smoking etc).
- trade more animals with Hanen (or other villages) - would require an expedition to a designated location and bringing goods for trade, either gold (for Halmes) or woodcraft (for the Nals). This would improve our relationship with other settlements in the area (so far we only have the dvergar as allies), as well as allow us to acquire mounts and other useful animals (cows/goats for milk? sheep for wool? chicken for eggs?). The expedition would have to be completed before the timeskip, taking into account that we do have an upcoming military conflict to settle, but our knowledge of the area would improve.
As you can see most of these options require several weeks preparation, which is why I'd like for the hunters to get together and agree on this now so we are 100% prepared for when the timeskip arrives. We need 5-6 hunters to get behind this, support related advices every EA when they come up, and finally vote on the EA for the big timeskip.
I am personally in favor of the trideer project, with boars and fishes tied second.
EDIT: Added poll
Last edited by Nacht
on Wed May 16, 2012 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.