Where the clan gathers to discuss the issues raised in the Leader and Event archives.
The Conference Room is for serious discussion only.
Everyone is encouraged to participate, but this forum has special rules! Make sure to read it before posting!

Re: Goals Before the Time Skip

Postby vitus on Wed May 09, 2012 5:36 pm

Wy'shira wrote:Indeed! But I figure we should always plan ahead.

There could always be light elves here. We really don't know much about our dear forest. I don't think we know anything about the blood-sucking insects from before, or the little burrowing animals we saw on an expedition, or... anything, really! More allies could tell us this information. ^^

I agree that we do not know much to some extend - especially the mana light we saw earlier is only speculative who it might have been. Strenghtening the relationship with our neighbours is a good goal, however i am not sure if the kotorcs are the best first choice.
vitus
Summoner

Postby Wy'shira on Wed May 09, 2012 6:23 pm

Do you think the halmes would be better, Vitus? I think they would be easier, but my main concern was how far away their settlements are.

The following was mentioned in Skype, so I will put it here for everyone to comment on and review (summary by me; ideas by multiple people):

Problem: We do not know the halme or kotorc languages (and all our attempts to learn the halme language have implied that we cannot do so).

Proposed Solution #1: We trust the ferals to help us by being interpreters.
Counter: The ferals don't know the kotorc language (to our knowledge). The ferals cannot be trusted to understand the detailed implications of the halme language that occur during political dealings with them. We would have to depend on their willingness to travel with us for every single expedition we make to meet with either the halmes or the ferals.

Proposed Solution #2: We purchase young halme/kotorc slaves from the Nals that know their mother languages. We treat them with kindness and teach them our language. As they prove their usefulness, we allow the slaves to slowly gain citizenship rights, with the eventual aim being that they become loyal members of our society that can serve as interpreters and diplomats. Even if this aim is not reached, it will make them trust us and motivate them to work hard. Their common species will allow the other cultures to trust them, as will their stories of good treatment and eventual semi/total freedom.
Counter: These cost money, and they are a time investment.
What is done under compulsion is done without understanding. There is no more beauty in it than if one should whip and spur a dancer. -Xenophon (paraphrase). Follow your heart.

Wy'shira = Eloh.
Wy'shira
Summoner

Postby James Rye on Wed May 09, 2012 7:35 pm

That´s not so far. We needed three days to something which is around two-three days away to Hanen. From there we got the street and the plain lands which will make traveling much easier than in the forest. I guess we´d need around 9 or ten days to Weistgren, if we go to Hanen first to get new food and infos first about the city and its people and then anotehr 9 or ten days back. Though 8 and 8 might also be possible.

But if we do that then we should make sure that we update the timestuff from one day to three to get the expedition stuff done faster. :)
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Wy'shira on Wed May 09, 2012 10:47 pm

You're right, Sen! It would take us 8 days to reach the kotorc village. It would take us 9-10 days to reach the nearest hume village.

People have been talking about moving the turn speed to 3 days per turn after the war. If we do that, like you said, it would make travel soo much easier. Then it would only that 3 turns to reach the kotorc village and 4 turns to reach the nearest hume village. We should definitely wait until we have more days per turn before heading to either place.

Also, this current EA may have given us another reason to favor having kotorc & halme translators over simply having the ferals do it for us. The ferals are definitely an unknown entity that we can't always predict the actions of. Who expected them to possibly set our wildlife loose? (Maybe they simply saw what happened, but we can't rule out them being the culprits yet.)
What is done under compulsion is done without understanding. There is no more beauty in it than if one should whip and spur a dancer. -Xenophon (paraphrase). Follow your heart.

Wy'shira = Eloh.
Wy'shira
Summoner

Postby vitus on Thu May 10, 2012 5:40 pm

I remembere the humes are closer then the kotorcs, but if it is opposite we might give it a try.

The idea about the slave translator is not bad, despite the risk of investing to a potential traitor.

Still we should try to learn more about the ferals as well
vitus
Summoner

Postby Catriana on Thu May 10, 2012 7:46 pm

I like the option of purchasing slaves, but how about we turn them into a servant class instead? Servants get paid for their services and are provided room and board, but their pay wouldn't be substantial, just enough for them to get by and maybe purchase a few nice things for themselves. We could either have them work off their debt or establish a contract with them for a certain period of time, after which they would be free to go. Should they decide to stay in Ama'varde, I suppose we could eventually develop a district for them to live in. I'm just really wary as to who we start considering clan members. I don't think just anyone should be allowed to become one of us.
“The most I can do for my friend is simply be his friend." -Henry David Thoreau
Catriana
Dragon of the Nether

Postby James Rye on Thu May 10, 2012 9:59 pm

I do want to start with the humans first.

The prob with human slaves or servants is that we don´t juts need any human, we need halmes who can speak both our as well as translate it to their language. Basically educated halmes like in that stone company of the Illhardro. So we need some who aren´t afraid or dumb, which we can´t just find on th street, ya know.

Maybe we can get such a halme as servant in Weistgren, we´d do have the gold and goods for that, besides new mounts.

We might seriously need more, just two haledri is not enough for our growing expandations and projects. The more mounts we have the more we can carry, the easier some projects will be finished.

We should ask Warg/Feral for info about Weistgren first, though i doubt it will be anything useful.

And we need to inform Anji of our plans first after we helped the dvergar out.
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Wy'shira on Thu May 10, 2012 10:20 pm

That is a very good idea! I was thinking we could just get slaves from the Nals (it would save us travelling time) and we could simply specify that the slaves need to know both their language and ours. (Or at least just their original language). Weistgren works as well.

A servant class could be quite interesting! I wonder if we could perhaps have them as slaves that then become servants as they prove their dedication? They could buy their freedom through hard work. They could then live in our village (if we have enough of a foreign population, we could build them their own area; otherwise, we could just get them a house) and live as a translator/ambassador. My problem with letting them buy their way to freedom (and telling them that they are free to go) is that we would then be left without translators. Imagine suddenly losing our only reliable way to communicate with one of our allies. ^^; If that were the case, we would have to purchase another slave/servant or keep three to six of each race on hand at all times. If we let them be free (semi-citizens / ambassadors / "servants" - whatever we decide on) but require that they live in our city, then we only need one or two of each species.

Wy'shira = Eloh.
Wy'shira
Summoner

Postby Nacht on Wed May 16, 2012 9:10 pm

Hetros, could you add Trideer to the list of domesticated animals please? So far we have made a pen for them and have 2 does.
Nacht
Summoner

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Leonis on Sun May 20, 2012 2:08 am

I think that the term you all are looking for is "Indentured Servants"... Which can last for sometime.. 7 - 10 years or more in cases.
Leonis
Demon

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby Wy'shira on Sun May 20, 2012 2:41 am

That's a perfect term for it in my opinion. >:D

Wy'shira = Eloh.
Wy'shira
Summoner

Postby Hetros on Thu May 31, 2012 4:58 am

Updated ^^
Earth,fire,wind,and water all come together in perfect balance inside of a Smith's forge, this perfect harmony of elements can rarely be found anywhere else in existence.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Leonis on Thu May 31, 2012 10:53 pm

Also note that "indentured servants" normally did something to incure a debt. It was typically transportation costs...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indentured_servant

Has a good base of information, if we wish to potentially start "importing" people.
Leonis
Demon

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby benuminister on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:53 am

Hetros the halmes were contacted back in the original survey of the settlement site.
Tei'Kaliath: Biel (Bay-elle) Tel'mari, Forge Master and Novice at the Hammer Toss

EA process:
Friday: Post -> Saturday: Discuss and Edit -> Sunday: Final Draft

The Al'dun, more then just another family.
benuminister
Vel'akar

Postby Wy'shira on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:56 am

We have "rep" with them. *snickers* *makes a joke about getting Hanen tabards for everyone to wear for extra rep grinding*

Wy'shira = Eloh.
Wy'shira
Summoner

PreviousNext

Return to Conference Hall